How many miles on a set of road tires?

Prometheus

Guest
Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be
only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

"Prometheus" wrote:
> Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires
before
> thinking about replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off,
> but that would be only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

It varies depending on a number of factors. But you don't have to replace the "set" just because the
rear tire wears out. Although Conti is now selling a matched "front and rear" set of tires as a pair
only. Great marketing idea, but not good for the consumer!

Art Harris

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:35:57 -0400, "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:

>One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be only about
>2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

For a decent lightweight tire, that is good advice. If you want tires to last longer, you need to
buy tires with more rubber. A Michelin Sport comes to mind.

PS: I think rarely get 2000 miles out of a tire. The tandem is good for about 1200 mi.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:35:57 +0000, Prometheus wrote:

> Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
> replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off,

Is he, perhaps, selling tires? The rear tire will always develop a flst spot down the middle. The
front doesn't, though, because the stresses on it are different.

Look for tread showing through. When that happens it is time. The tires I use, Avocets, have a thin
layer of slightly darker rubber before the cord shows. I mostly look for that. It takes 3500-4000
miles for me.

And when that rear tire does show these signs, move the front to the rear and put a new tire on the
front. The reason for that is very simple. You want the best tire you have on the front, since flats
on the front are worse than those on the rear.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Prometheus wrote:
> Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
> replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be
> only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

Mine (don't know the brand or model) had 1500 miles on them before I noticed a cut in the rear, and
replaced both.

"Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
> replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be
> only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

The guy you talked to obviously has no regard for his money. You can ride a bike tire down to the
casing showing through.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
> > replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would
> > be only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???
>
> The guy you talked to obviously has no regard for his money. You can ride a bike tire down to the
> casing showing through.

I assume that most people buy expensive tires for their performance.

When does performance degenerate due to mileage?

Well before the casing shows through?

Dashii

> When does performance degenerate due to mileage?

It doesn't unless the sidewall starts to go in which case replace it. You can ride the things down
to the casing.

How long tyres last depends on

1. The weight of you and your bike.
2. Whether front and rea3.
3. Amount of rubber.
4. Durability of casing.

I met an American couple who were riding around the world for several years on cheapish MTBs and
his wife had a Schwalbe Ultramarathon tyre on the front with more than 10000 miles on it and it
looked unworn.

"Raptor" wrote: in
> Mine (don't know the brand or model) had 1500 miles on them before I noticed a cut in the rear,
> and replaced both.

Why on earth would you replace both tires because one got a cut?

Art Harris

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:27:57 +0000, Raptor wrote:

> Mine (don't know the brand or model) had 1500 miles on them before I noticed a cut in the rear,
> and replaced both.

What damage did the cut on the rear do to the front tire?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

In article <%HuLa.49231$Ab2.97732@sccrnsc01>, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
> > > replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that
> > > would be only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???
> >
> > The guy you talked to obviously has no regard for his money. You can ride a bike tire down to
> > the casing showing through.
>
> I assume that most people buy expensive tires for their performance.
>
> When does performance degenerate due to mileage?
>
> Well before the casing shows through?

No. The rubber is the same right down to the casing.

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:35:57 +0000, Prometheus wrote:
>
> > Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires
before
> > thinking about replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back
tire
> > starts to square off,
>
> Is he, perhaps, selling tires? The rear tire will always develop a flst spot down the middle. The
> front doesn't, though, because the stresses on it are different.
>
> Look for tread showing through. When that happens it is time.

Of course, you mean, "when the casing shows through".

>The tires I use, Avocets, have a thin layer of slightly darker rubber before the cord shows. I
>mostly look for that. It takes 3500-4000 miles for me.
>
> And when that rear tire does show these signs, move the front to the rear and put a new tire on
> the front. The reason for that is very simple. You want the best tire you have on the front, since
> flats on the front are worse than those on the rear.

Not only that, but that front tire will die of old age if you don't use it up. I have a FasGrip on
now with sidewalls looking a bit ragged. My rear is newer but I put it on the back since I ruined
one there and was too lazy to change two tires.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Harris wrote:
> "Raptor" wrote: in
>
>>Mine (don't know the brand or model) had 1500 miles on them before I noticed a cut in the rear,
>>and replaced both.
>

> Why on earth would you replace both tires because one got a cut?
>
> Art Harris

That's a tough one. :)

The best answer I can come up with is, the new tires both have blue sidewalls, matching my
bike's paint.

"Raptor" wrote:
> Harris wrote:

> > Why on earth would you replace both tires because one got a cut?
> That's a tough one. :)
>
> The best answer I can come up with is, the new tires both have blue sidewalls, matching my
> bike's paint.

Ah, now we know why manufacturers make tires in many colors! ;->

Art "black is beautiful" Harris

Prometheus <[email protected]> wrote:
>Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
>replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be
>only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

This guy doesn't sell tyres, does he?

I replace mine when they get a hole in too big to do anything sensible enough. Failing that I'd
replace them when the cords show.

[email protected] says...
>Was wondering how many miles are typically put on a set of road tires before thinking about
>replacing. One guy I talked to said whenever the back tire starts to square off, but that would be
>only about 2200 miles for me. I can't believe that. Thoughts???

2200 miles on a rear tire is not too bad, but not great.