How many miles per cassette?

Ken C. M.

Guest
Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is
to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before
but never a cassette.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How many
> miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost new, well
> has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the first chain
> change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the chain rings look
> ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn and will probably
> skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is to change a cassette
> vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before but never a cassette.

I don't have a clue about a freewheel, but I installed a cassette when I
got new wheels. Piece of cake.
I think I needed a special tool, though.

I've heard that if you replaces chains regularly, you'll get greater life
out of the cogs.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
> many miles should I expect to get from a cassette?
> The bike is almost
> new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
> first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far

Maybe... If you take good care of your chain, it should last for more
miles than that... but there is a lot of variation.

New chains are 1/2 inch per link. Measure your old one over 24 links,
and if it is less than 1/16th inch over (12-1/16th inches), your
cassette should be fine. If it is 1/8th over, then you probably also
have some cogs worn too much for a new chain.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

> How tough is is
> to change a cassette vs a freewheel?

Cassettes are easy. A chain whip and the proper tool for the lockring,
and they come right off.

At a road speed of 20 mph, 20 miles for a C60 and 30 miles for a C90.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
> many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
> new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
> first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
> chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
> and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is
> to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before
> but never a cassette.
>
> Ken
> --
> You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
> having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
>
> Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Tough to say. If you keep your chain clean and didn't do a lot of cross
chaining, 3000 miles won't cook a cogset. I have about 15,000 miles on
the inner cogs of a DA freewheel...but I change my chain every
month-For $6-why not? easier than cleaning it.

Changing cogset-chain whip and proper tool for the cogset lockring, big
wrench. With the wheel leaning against your legs, cogset out, chainwhip
to the left, chain part on the top of the cogset, tool into lockring,
big wrench to the right side, opposite the chainwhip, push down on
both, lockring loosens.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
> > Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
> > many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
> > new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
> > first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
> > chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
> > and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is
> > to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before
> > but never a cassette.
> >
> > Ken
> > --
> > You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
> > having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
> >
> > Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

> Tough to say. If you keep your chain clean and didn't do a lot of cross
> chaining, 3000 miles won't cook a cogset. I have about 15,000 miles on
> the inner cogs of a DA freewheel...but I change my chain every
> month-For $6-why not? easier than cleaning it.
>
> Changing cogset-chain whip and proper tool for the cogset lockring, big
> wrench. With the wheel leaning against your legs, cogset out, chainwhip
> to the left, chain part on the top of the cogset, tool into lockring,
> big wrench to the right side, opposite the chainwhip, push down on
> both, lockring loosens.

My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
Shimano? Campy?

Joseph

One of my bike's cassette has bent and chipped teeth and is as smooth as I reckon my bottom would have been 25 years ago. When you fit a new chain it slips like crazy but wears in after 150 miles or so. I can never be bothered lookign for the tool to change it!

I think what is more likly to fail is the freewheel machanism it sits on. That cassette and freewheel has had some abuse over the time it has been fitted. Togther they have been one half of the tug of war which managed to snap, so far, two of my chains! I'm not the type to go easy on it just because it happens to be selecting a new gear either.

Dont get me wrong the gear change is horrendous and I'm always fidling with the fine adjustment on the frame.

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:49:04 -0500, "Ken C. M."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
>many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
>new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
>first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
>chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
>and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is
>to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before
>but never a cassette.

If you usually ride on just one or two of the rear sprockets, then
they'll almost certainly have some wear but might not be gone yet.
You'll find out soon enough.

IMO, cassettes are a lot less hassle to change than freewheels.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:18:06 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At a road speed of 20 mph, 20 miles for a C60 and 30 miles for a C90.

That's assuming both sides are used.

I will note that IME, C120 tends to jam and/or tangle when subjected
to vibration; I don't recommend them for use in a Walkman.

>Sorry, couldn't resist.

Neither could I.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>>Ken C. M. wrote:
>>
>>>Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
>>>many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
>>>new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
>>>first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
>>>chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
>>>and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is
>>>to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before
>>>but never a cassette.
>>>
>>>Ken
>>>--
>>>You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
>>>having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
>>>
>>>Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

>>Tough to say. If you keep your chain clean and didn't do a lot of cross
>>chaining, 3000 miles won't cook a cogset. I have about 15,000 miles on
>>the inner cogs of a DA freewheel...but I change my chain every
>>month-For $6-why not? easier than cleaning it.
>>
>>Changing cogset-chain whip and proper tool for the cogset lockring, big
>>wrench. With the wheel leaning against your legs, cogset out, chainwhip
>>to the left, chain part on the top of the cogset, tool into lockring,
>>big wrench to the right side, opposite the chainwhip, push down on
>>both, lockring loosens.

> My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
> years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
> Shimano? Campy?
>
> Joseph

About 6.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:18:06 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>At a road speed of 20 mph, 20 miles for a C60 and 30 miles for a C90.

> That's assuming both sides are used.
>
> I will note that IME, C120 tends to jam and/or tangle when subjected
> to vibration; I don't recommend them for use in a Walkman.
>

>>Sorry, couldn't resist.

> Neither could I.

Okay well how about miles per 8-track? Or 45?

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
> many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
> new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
> first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
> chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
> and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is
> is to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels
> before but never a cassette.

If it were a mountain bike, then you'd almost definitely need a new
cassette. Assuming it's a road bike, you'll almost definitely /not/ need a
new cassette. (Buy a lockring tool and chainwhip anyway, however :) )

Bill "road stuff lasts lots longer than mt. stuff" S.

Sorni wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>
>>Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How
>>many miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost
>>new, well has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the
>>first chain change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the
>>chain rings look ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn
>>and will probably skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is
>>is to change a cassette vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels
>>before but never a cassette.

> If it were a mountain bike, then you'd almost definitely need a new
> cassette. Assuming it's a road bike, you'll almost definitely /not/ need a
> new cassette. (Buy a lockring tool and chainwhip anyway, however :) )
>
> Bill "road stuff lasts lots longer than mt. stuff" S.

Well it's a cross between the two it's one of those dis-comfort hybrids.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Sorni wrote:

>> If it were a mountain bike, then you'd almost definitely need a new
>> cassette. Assuming it's a road bike, you'll almost definitely /not/
>> need a new cassette. (Buy a lockring tool and chainwhip anyway,
>> however :) ) Bill "road stuff lasts lots longer than mt. stuff" S.

> Well it's a cross between the two it's one of those dis-comfort
> hybrids.

Ah. Well, install the new chain and see how it goes.

Bill "incredibly gifted for stating the obvious" S.

On 5 Feb 2006 11:18:46 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tough to say. If you keep your chain clean and didn't do a lot of cross
>chaining, 3000 miles won't cook a cogset. I have about 15,000 miles on
>the inner cogs of a DA freewheel...but I change my chain every
>month-For $6-why not? easier than cleaning it.

What do you do with your old chains? I've got one rusting to bury
under the blueberry bushes (they need iron), but I don't know what to
do with all the others I have sitting around.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:31:08 -0500, "Ken C. M."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:18:06 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>At a road speed of 20 mph, 20 miles for a C60 and 30 miles for a C90.

>> That's assuming both sides are used.
>>
>> I will note that IME, C120 tends to jam and/or tangle when subjected
>> to vibration; I don't recommend them for use in a Walkman.
>>

>>>Sorry, couldn't resist.

>> Neither could I.

>Okay well how about miles per 8-track? Or 45?

Halftracks are bad enough, but the drag from an 8-track drivetrain
would be more than I want to think about. With a 45, it's not the
drag but the weight which is the problem, although you have to admire
the inherent stopping power it provides.
--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:18:06 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>At a road speed of 20 mph, 20 miles for a C60 and 30 miles for a C90.

>> That's assuming both sides are used.
>>
>> I will note that IME, C120 tends to jam and/or tangle when subjected
>> to vibration; I don't recommend them for use in a Walkman.
>>

>>>Sorry, couldn't resist.

>> Neither could I.

>Okay well how about miles per 8-track? Or 45?

Let's see...an 8-track was typically 80 minutes, so that would be
26.67 miles, and for a 45 it would depend upon how many dogs per mile
were encountered and how many spare clips you brought along.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
> years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
> Shimano? Campy?

Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
off.

Ron Ruff wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
> > years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
> > Shimano? Campy?

> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
> off.

So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

On 6 Feb 2006 07:11:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Ron Ruff wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
>> > years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
>> > Shimano? Campy?

>> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
>> off.

>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.