How many miles per cassette?

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2006 07:11:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >Ron Ruff wrote:
> >>
> >> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
> >> off.

> >So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

> You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
> when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Safeword? What's that? When the wrench says "uncle"?

Actually I was just kidding. My chainwhip is bent but that is from
using it as a derailleur hanger "persuasion" tool.

I do about 5 clicks. Does that sound about right?

Joseph

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Okay while I am waiting for the first new chain from performance. How many
> miles should I expect to get from a cassette? The bike is almost new, well
> has about 3000 miles on it, mixed riding, and this is the first chain
> change, yeah I know I probably let it go to far, but the chain rings look
> ok, but I have a feeling that the cassette is to worn and will probably
> skip when the new chain is installed. How tough is is to change a cassette
> vs a freewheel? I have changed freewheels before but never a cassette.
>
> Ken
> --
> You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
> having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
>
> Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

I cycle about 8000 kms ( 5000 miles) every year. Nothing extreme -- but a
long cycle camping tour every year. I change the cassette, chain and, if
necessary, the complete chainset about 3 weeks before I set out on a two
month tour. That means I have a new complete drive system and enough time
to "run it in" before I leave on a heavily loaded tour.
I have always found that the cassette and chain are ready for renewal at
that time and I get the benefit of having my velo "up to spec" at the
beginning of its hardest work period of the year. For the rest of the year I
am averaging about 160 kms a week with only the occasional w/e under a
reasonable camping load.

Most of my riding is on road, with a little on well surfaced tracks, but no
serious off road riding. I am also on new tyres when I set off and generally
they may last me the year as well. Up to and including last year I was using
Schwalbe Kevlar "Hurricane" tyres but renewed just before Christmas with
Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I then have my velo stolen 2 days later!
I generally have a couple of part worn tyres in reserve. I do not carry a
spare tyre with me on my long tour and so far have had no problems. I always
carry 3 spare inner tubes, so that I can replace punctured tubes and repair
when convenient, comfortable and dry! Only had to buy one new tyre on my
long tours --- but now that I've said that I expect that it will all go
"ape-sh*t" on this years magnum opus!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Ron Ruff wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
>> > years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
>> > Shimano? Campy?

>> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
>> off.

>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

You should let someone else remove it next time. :)
---------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
> >Ron Ruff wrote:
> >>
> >> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
> >> off.

> >So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

> You should let someone else remove it next time. :)

Maybe it means I should let someone else put it on!

;-)

Joseph

It's not just your opinion, it's a fact. Freewheels get tightened by
riding, cassettes don't, so making cassettes easier to remove (assuming
splines - if you factor in suntour-type pegs freehweels can be a
nightmare).

Andrew W

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:41:09 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 6 Feb 2006 07:11:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Ron Ruff wrote:
>>>
>>> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
>>> off.

>>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

>You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
>when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.

PfffffffttTTTT!

Thanks for the naze.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:41:09 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

> >You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
> >when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.

> PfffffffttTTTT!
>
> Thanks for the naze.
>
> Ron

Oh man! The things one learns on r.b.t. Does that say something
flattering or unflattering about me that I didn't get that joke and had
to resort to Google to "educate" myself?

Joseph

Sorni wrote on Sunday 05 February 2006 21:51:

> Ken C. M. wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> If it were a mountain bike, then you'd almost definitely need a new
>>> cassette. Assuming it's a road bike, you'll almost definitely /not/
>>> need a new cassette. (Buy a lockring tool and chainwhip anyway,
>>> however :) ) Bill "road stuff lasts lots longer than mt. stuff" S.

>> Well it's a cross between the two it's one of those dis-comfort
>> hybrids.

> Ah. Well, install the new chain and see how it goes.
>
> Bill "incredibly gifted for stating the obvious" S.

Which is what I did, then went straight down to the LBS to buy a new
freewheel too :(
--
Regards
Alex