How many miles per cassette?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Ron Ruff wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > My torque-wrench is buried someplace in the garage and has been MIA for
>> > years. How many clicks should the lockring make for proper tightness?
>> > Shimano? Campy?

>> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
>> off.

>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

You should let someone else remove it next time. :)
---------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
> >Ron Ruff wrote:
> >>
> >> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
> >> off.

> >So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

> You should let someone else remove it next time. :)

Maybe it means I should let someone else put it on!

;-)

Joseph

It's not just your opinion, it's a fact. Freewheels get tightened by
riding, cassettes don't, so making cassettes easier to remove (assuming
splines - if you factor in suntour-type pegs freehweels can be a
nightmare).

Andrew W

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:41:09 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 6 Feb 2006 07:11:34 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Ron Ruff wrote:
>>>
>>> Tight enough to be secure... but not so tight that it's a pain to get
>>> off.

>>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

>You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
>when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.

PfffffffttTTTT!

Thanks for the naze.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:41:09 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >>So if the handle on the chainwhip bends...?

> >You need a better chainwhip. Or you need to stop wearing earplugs
> >when you work, so that you can hear the safeword.

> PfffffffttTTTT!
>
> Thanks for the naze.
>
> Ron

Oh man! The things one learns on r.b.t. Does that say something
flattering or unflattering about me that I didn't get that joke and had
to resort to Google to "educate" myself?

Joseph

Sorni wrote on Sunday 05 February 2006 21:51:

> Ken C. M. wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> If it were a mountain bike, then you'd almost definitely need a new
>>> cassette. Assuming it's a road bike, you'll almost definitely /not/
>>> need a new cassette. (Buy a lockring tool and chainwhip anyway,
>>> however :) ) Bill "road stuff lasts lots longer than mt. stuff" S.

>> Well it's a cross between the two it's one of those dis-comfort
>> hybrids.

> Ah. Well, install the new chain and see how it goes.
>
> Bill "incredibly gifted for stating the obvious" S.

Which is what I did, then went straight down to the LBS to buy a new
freewheel too :(
--
Regards
Alex

Alex Potter wrote:
> Sorni wrote on Sunday 05 February 2006 21:51:
>
>> Ken C. M. wrote:

>>> Well it's a cross between the two it's one of those dis-comfort
>>> hybrids.

>> Ah. Well, install the new chain and see how it goes.
>>
>> Bill "incredibly gifted for stating the obvious" S.

> Which is what I did, then went straight down to the LBS to buy a new
> freewheel too :(

Of course! Sorni's Law of Bike Repair: "When there are two possible
outcomes, it will ALWAYS be the more expensive one."

Bill "applies to appliances, too" S.