How many miles per year for a pro?

alpha2k

Aug 6, 2005
How many miles a pro cyclist typically rides in a season or one year? Anyone has any idea on it?

thanks

Most pros are doing 20-25,000 miles a year. Quite often more, rarely less.

alpha2k said:
How many miles a pro cyclist typically rides in a season or one year? Anyone has any idea on it?

thanks

Nicole Cook (British female cyclist and GT winner) on the BBC Sports Awards in December 2006 said "I'm doing between 200-250 miles training per week now (off season) and when training begins that will move up to between 400 - 500 miles per week"

So 20,000 miles per year is a fair enough quesstimate.

limerickman said:
Nicole Cook (British female cyclist and GT winner) on the BBC Sports Awards in December 2006 said "I'm doing between 200-250 miles training per week now (off season) and when training begins that will move up to between 400 - 500 miles per week"

So 20,000 miles per year is a fair enough quesstimate.

Lot more then my 400-500km a week

Roadie_scum said:
There are pro's doing that amount.

I would expect that most of them are doing alot more. The almost pro guys that I have met are doing upwards of 1000km

bladegeek said:
Lance wrote in his book he was doing 27,000-30,000 miles a year.
With some pros it also probably depends on what they take for recovery in between these efforts.:rolleyes:

I also read that Lance does, did 30,000 -35,000 miles per year.

I'm working on an astounding 2,000 miles per year.

jcjordan said:
Lot more then my 400-500km a week

The main thing is JC, you're out doing the distances that you're doing : and that's good.

Of course, you could instead sitback and wtach England getting blasted in the Ashes and Twenty 20 !!

jcjordan said:
I would expect that most of them are doing alot more. The almost pro guys that I have met are doing upwards of 1000km

Maybe if they did 400-600km of the right kind of training they would be actual pro's instead of almost pro's.

I'm putting my guess out there for pro TSS:

Mean: 43750
Std Dev: 3125

Two std devs either side of the mean gives 37,500-50,000.

I reckon we play guessing games and then if Andy in his goodwill and grace deems it right, we get the answer...

Admittedly its not all about the amount of km's you can clock up in a year but I would hazard a guess they are doing 35-45,000 a year. thats an average of 650-870 km's a week. OR 90-125 km's a day...that doesn't sound to unreasonable it does sound quite realistic also.

To make all those km's worthwhile you should probably spend a minimum 10 years building upto it and its all about intensity and the order you train in!

Joe Schmo will still be Joe Schmo if he rides 750km's a week compared to his regular 350km's providing his training plan is unstructured and unplanned.

I read in cycle sport (june edition) that cunego rode 7000km's in 3 months to prepare for his 06 race season. Thats "only" 540km's a week which is quite an achievable amount of km's by any level of cyclist.

limerickman said:
The main thing is JC, you're out doing the distances that you're doing : and that's good.

Of course, you could instead sitback and wtach England getting blasted in the Ashes and Twenty 20 !!

I would rather sit on a wind training looking at a wall then watch cricket. I just dont get how anyone can see it as exciting, on the other hand when people find out that I watch every stage of the TDF they think I am nuts.

I guess its all a mater of perspective :)

Roadie_scum said:
Maybe if they did 400-600km of the right kind of training they would be actual pro's instead of almost pro's.

I reckon we play guessing games and then if Andy in his goodwill and grace deems it right, we get the answer...

By almost pro's we are talking about A grade under 20's and AIS riders

Roadie_scum said:

Whew, there are some interesting answers here. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

1)Miles/Km's is, indeed, misleading, since it's easy to rack up some 350-450 miles a week while racing--but a lot of that may be in the bunch, and the actual stress may be a lot less than you'd think

2)I think your standard deviation is a little off:D

It depends to what you're referring when you say 'pro', but it's possible to race as a US domestic pro on nearly half that, 25,000 TSS, even for a racer racing consistently from Feb. thru Sept.
We can argue all day about what is 'optimal', but the 'requirements' aren't nearly as high as some are making them out to be.

RipVanCommittee said:
Whew, there are some interesting answers here. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

1)Miles/Km's is, indeed, misleading, since it's easy to rack up some 350-450 miles a week while racing--but a lot of that may be in the bunch, and the actual stress may be a lot less than you'd think

2)I think your standard deviation is a little off:D

It depends to what you're referring when you say 'pro', but it's possible to race as a US domestic pro on nearly half that, 25,000 TSS, even for a racer racing consistently from Feb. thru Sept.
We can argue all day about what is 'optimal', but the 'requirements' aren't nearly as high as some are making them out to be.

By pro, I mean European Pro Continental [edit - or equivalent fitness/event demands]. There are probably 40-60 US riders who are as good or better than those guys, but not many more. Those are the guys that ride for, eg, Health Net, Toyota, etc, and do the sport full time. Then there are the guys who have pro licenses but amateur contracts - students, guys with accomodating jobs, etc, who don't get paid but love to race and ride with a pro team. A lot of those 'pros' are worse than good regional cat 1's. I don't doubt there are guys who can race on not much volume at the domestic/regional level in the US on 25,000TSS. I also think there are probably guys who have so much talent they can go even better than that on not much training, but they are the 5% who aren't captured by two std devs either side of the mean.

So let me clarify - I am talking about riders who compete in tours longer than 2 days and road races longer than 150km, with FT>5.5w/kg.

Now, having clarified what I'm talking about, I feel that I can entice you to play my game...

Mean? Std Dev?