How many miles

instinct2

Apr 7, 2005
How many miles or years do you put on your bike before you trade it in? 10,000 20,000 3 years? Just wondering

instinct2 said:
How many miles or years do you put on your bike before you trade it in? 10,000 20,000 3 years? Just wondering
My last bike (before my I bought my most recent bike) I bought in the fall of '02. It was a fairly mid level bike (7005 T6 Aluminum frame, carbon fork with cromoly steerer and Ultegra components). The first year I put about 1,500 miles on it (I received it in October), the second year I put 6k on it and last year 5k plus about 500 this year over the winter. After 13,000 miles it still rides well and it is a very serviceable spare. The aluminum is not showing any real fatigue and the drivetrain functions fine ( I am on my 4th or 5th cassette/chain combo). This past fall I built a new bike after knowing exactly what I wanted. The frame is steel (Deda 16.5 EOM) with carbon seatstays and full carbon fork. I also put Record 10 on it which is a nice re-buildable drivetrain. I won't even look at another bike until it's at 25k or more. My wife may hire a divorce lawyer if I do. :eek:
I'm not sure what the trade in value of an older bike is, but having a solid "B-Bike" is very valuable especially since I live in New England and ride year 'round. Having a spare will keep your A bike in good shape much longer since you won't have to expose it to the elements.

I suppose this is a sensible approach, which equates to what we all probably should be doing with out cars, but I'm the kinda guys who keeps my cars until they die.:) I'm 37, and my current car is my 2nd!!!

What I do is buy frames that I see for great prices, and I keep the ones I like and get rid of the ones I don't like.

With the ones I keep, I often ride them for a couple of years (with 3 "good" bikes going at any one time), then strip them down and build up one of the others. This adds enough variety.

Why get rid of a bike if you really like it?

However, I know a guy who continually trades up. He has one really good bike at any one time, and I think he trades up about every 2 years. He says he does just for a change, rather than any financial reason

instinct2 said:

who trades in bikes? you never know when you might need an extra...

I just bought a new bicycle, but the one I had been riding (now my "backup") will be 5 years old in august. it has 20k+ miles on it, and is in great shape except for some cracking decals (it is brushed ti with no clearcoat.)