How many miles?

lisandom said:
dude. your bike's computer must be screwed up. no way you've ridden 6K miles in seven months. that's like 30 miles a day, every day.
I must be seriously screwed then. 11,479 miles through today for 2007.

Time to check the powertaps for calibration, I guess?

lisandom said:
dude. your bike's computer must be screwed up. no way you've ridden 6K miles in seven months. that's like 30 miles a day, every day.
are you a pro? do you sleep? family? why???
i love riding, but that is too much...:eek:
amazing
I'm a server in a Mexican restaurant and usually don't have to be to work until lunch. A few days each week I wake up at 4 a.m., have some coffee and toast, fill my bottles, check tire pressure, and roll out of the garage about 4:45. That gives me plenty of time to get some nice long rides in and still be to work on time.

Watching the sun rise from the saddle of my bike several times a week is a wonderful experience. On Tues. & Thurs. mornings I ride with the local triathlon club (although I don't compete). Thirty miles is about the minimum length ride that I feel is worth going on. I typically ride 4 or 5 days per week. My longest ride so far was about 3 weeks ago when I rode solo from Roswell, NM to Elida, NM and back - 140 miles round trip.

kdelong said:
That is some massive mileage! I have had a good year for me, 2747.6 miles, but I had a lot of time on my hands, changed careers with a one and a half month vacation thrown in. Normally I get in about 2000 miles over the entire year.

I can sympathize with you on the depression. I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 2001, and I think I rode a whole 200 miles that summer. No injuries, but I didn't feel like doing anything that reminded me of a certain situation. Good drugs and counseling finally got me back on the road.
Great that you're back on the road. Although I was never diagnosed I was going through an extremely dark period. Sleeping late, watching way too many dvd's while ignoring household chores. I was living like a zombie for months. Then in February, after getting up to 204 pounds, it was either buy a new wardrobe, kill myself, or get back on the bike. I can't tell you how seriously I considered the second option.

NomadVW said:
I must be seriously screwed then. 11,479 miles through today for 2007.

Time to check the powertaps for calibration, I guess?
yeah nomad, but aren't miles shorter in japan? i'm just kidding.
12k?? what else you do in life?

and shreklookalike, i would love to have the time to ride so much.
i'm just jealous i guess.
but i feel like my 900 miles so far this year is huge.
it's all relative...
glad you decided to keep riding.

lisandom said:
yeah nomad, but aren't miles shorter in japan? i'm just kidding.
12k?? what else you do in life?

and shreklookalike, i would love to have the time to ride so much.
i'm just jealous i guess.
but i feel like my 900 miles so far this year is huge.
it's all relative...
glad you decided to keep riding.
Thanks lisandom. I am pretty lucky I guess to have a job and climate that allow me to spend so much time in the saddle. Even at that I know that my riding is a bit on the obsessive side. I'm sure that I log more miles than anyone else in town. But this is pretty much my only hobby.

I used to live in MA, so I know the riding season's a lot shorter in your neck of the woods. 900 miles is certainly respectable considering your climate and (assumably) tighter schedule.

It's not quite as hot here as Kestral's domain, but I know what he means about May through August heat. That's another reason why I start so early in the morning.

2007: 8,200 miles (13,200 kms), 2006: 8,100 miles, 2005: 7,000 miles.

Bikelyst said:
For most of us the cycling season has come to a close and I was wondering what your odometers read at the end of the season. How many miles did you ride this year?

It was my first year and I logged about 1500 miles on my Fuji.

I just started road cycling in July and I ended up with 468 miles. So far this year I have ridden about 40 miles outside.

Shreklookalike said:
Last year I rode 9,000 miles in 44 weeks. I don't plan on riding so obsessively this year. ;)
I rode 8,100 miles last year, and I have covered 1,460 so far this year, I took 2nd place in the VTTA(NM) B.A.R as well last year.:) presently training hard with a view to winning it this year. and I have a new bike to train on which should inspire me a little.:rolleyes: