How many miles?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bruce Johnston, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    You sure about those figures Jeff? That's 55 km per day every day.

    Let's assume you take one day a week off for rest. Then let's say you lived in an area where
    you could ride most of the days in a year. You're still going to lose a dozen or more days a
    year to weather.

    So that's 12 + 52 = 64 or two full months of no riding. That means that you have to average some 65
    km per day every riding day.

    This is why the only way you can discuss mileage is if you maintain a log of every ride.

    I just don't think that there are a lot of people out there that put in 40 miles every time they
    climb on a bike and they do it every day.

    Tom

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike
    since high
    > > school which was when I started getting serious about climbing.
    This
    > > included everything, races, training rides, trainer at home, etc.
    I was
    > > riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to
    remember and
    > > count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How
    many
    > > miles? What's your guest? I bet most of the older roadies on RBR
    are between
    > > 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?
    > >
    > I'm not that old (32), but I've been riding for the past 15 years
    with
    > only a couple of relatively short breaks. I've always liked riding lots of kilometres, so even in
    > the early years I was doing 20,000km/yr. The last six years would be close to the 30,000km/yr
    > mark, so a fairly conservative estimate would be
    350,000km/220,000mi.
    > That's a hell of a lot of food.
    >
    > Jeff

  2. Lance Armstrong claims he's done 60,000 miles.

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    > You sure about those figures Jeff? That's 55 km per day every day.
    >
    > Let's assume you take one day a week off for rest. Then let's say you lived in an area where you
    > could ride most of the days in a year. You're still going to lose a dozen or more days a year to
    > weather.
    >
    > So that's 12 + 52 = 64 or two full months of no riding. That means that you have to average some
    > 65 km per day every riding day.
    >
    > This is why the only way you can discuss mileage is if you maintain a log of every ride.
    >
    > I just don't think that there are a lot of people out there that put in 40 miles every time they
    > climb on a bike and they do it every day.
    >
    > Tom

    My method is commuting. My current commute is 15 miles each way and I do it about 3 days a week.
    Some days I take a longer route home. That plus training rides two nights a week during the summer
    and 500 mile weeks when on vacation add up....

    I have daily records of the last 7 years and they were all between 9,700 and 10,200 miles. And most
    of the 20 years before that I had similar totals.

    -Bruce

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I tried to calculate how many miles I have ridden a rode bike since high school which was when I
    > started getting serious about climbing. This included everything, races, training rides, trainer
    > at home, etc. I was riding before Avocet and Ciclomaster came out so it's hard to remember and
    > count the miles but I came up with a very questionable number. How many miles? What's your guest?
    > I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are
    between
    > 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles lifetime?
    >
    > B-

    Me? Not enough for my wishes.

  5. Tom Kunich wrote:
    > Our club member Dan Tonelli has close to 300,000 and there is one guy in the US who has well over
    > 1,000,000.

    There was some dude featured in a magazine a year or so back, who just toodles all around on a bike.
    He's got some mental deficiency so it's about all he does. He gives out worn chainrings to friends.
    I thought it was an interesting story, but the math didn't quite add up. To cover the mileage he had
    to at the speed he would have been averaging he'd be far older than he is. Odd the magazine editors
    didn't figure that out, considering the massive miles that pros put in doing training.

    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>From: "Bruce Johnston" [email protected]
    >>
    >>>I bet most of the older roadies on RBR are between 100k and 200k. Anybody over 200,000 miles
    >>>lifetime?
    >>>
    >>>B-
    >>
    >> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most
    >
    > miles.
    >
    >> Bill C

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > You sure about those figures Jeff? That's 55 km per day every day.

    I'm positive Tom. 55 km is a rest day. If anything, the estimate was on the low side.

    > Let's assume you take one day a week off for rest. Then let's say you lived in an area where you
    > could ride most of the days in a year. You're still going to lose a dozen or more days a year to
    > weather.

    I don't take a day off/week for rest, but I do ride 45-60 km easy on Monday and Friday. The only
    days I don't go out are when I'm feeling like crap *and* it's raining hard outside. And because I
    spend most of the European winter (Nov-Jan) in sunny Australia, I can ride pretty much every day
    of the year.

    > So that's 12 + 52 = 64 or two full months of no riding. That means that you have to average some
    > 65 km per day every riding day.

    My rest periods are dictated by work (about 15-20 days where I'm physically separated from my bike),
    illness/travel (maybe 7 days/yr), and just feeling bad (3 days/yr). So far this year (looking at my
    log) I've had 27 days off. That still gives me 338 days of riding, and given that I'm heading for
    29,000km this year that works out at 86 km/day on the days that I do ride. My weekly totals
    correspond to this, strangely enough.

    > This is why the only way you can discuss mileage is if you maintain a log of every ride.

    I agree. I do maintain a written log and have done so for at least the past 10 yrs. Before that I
    wasn't really riding any less, but I wasn't keeping detailed notes. I rode a lot when at Uni because
    there was plenty of time to do so, and I was there for seven and a half years.

    > I just don't think that there are a lot of people out there that put in 40 miles every time they
    > climb on a bike and they do it every day.

    I don't think there are either.

    Jeff
    p.s. Van Petegem estimates that he does close to 50,000(!) km/yr.

  7. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > Our club member Dan Tonelli has close to 300,000 and there is one guy in the US who has well
    > > over 1,000,000.
    >
    > There was some dude featured in a magazine a year or so back, who just toodles all around on a
    > bike. He's got some mental deficiency so it's about all he does. He gives out worn chainrings to
    > friends. I thought it was an interesting story, but the math didn't quite add up. To cover the
    > mileage he had to at the speed he would have been averaging he'd be far older than he is. Odd the
    > magazine editors didn't figure that out, considering the massive miles that pros put in doing
    > training.

    That would mean being "journalists". C'mon, you didn't really expect them to actually do THAT
    kind of work, did ya?

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
    "No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"
    Firesign Theatre

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  8. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > I'm not that old (32), but I've been riding for the past 15 years with only a couple of relatively
    > short breaks. I've always liked riding lots of kilometres, so even in the early years I was doing
    > 20,000km/yr. The last six years would be close to the 30,000km/yr mark, so a fairly conservative
    > estimate would be 350,000km/220,000mi. That's a hell of a lot of food.

    How many frames have you gone through in that period ? (and if you used Bianchi could you have
    persuaded them to give you a new frame each time the current one failed)

  9. On 16 Nov 2003, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > p.s. Van Petegem estimates that he does close to 50,000(!) km/yr.

    Stay reassured.

    Conventional wisdom estimates that all professional racers do between 40 and 50.000 kms a year. A
    friend of mine from Castelfranco Veneto, a guy who has no family of his own, no automobile but, yes,
    a job has consistently done 30.000 kms a year the last several years. At the age of 52, not bad as a
    record. Don't you think?

    Sergio Pisa

  10. radracer

    radracer New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2003

  11. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > You sure about those figures Jeff? That's 55 km per day every day.

    Goddamm Kunich. No wonder you're a Cat 5.

    > I'm positive Tom. 55 km is a rest day. If anything, the estimate was on the low side.

    Agreed. 35 miles/day is quite low for someone who devotes a good portion of their life's energy to
    bike racing. Surely even a significant # of Masters Fatties exceed that.

  12. Howard Kveck wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Tom Kunich wrote:
    >>
    >>>Our club member Dan Tonelli has close to 300,000 and there is one guy in the US who has well over
    >>>1,000,000.
    >>
    >>There was some dude featured in a magazine a year or so back, who just toodles all around on a
    >>bike. He's got some mental deficiency so it's about all he does. He gives out worn chainrings to
    >>friends. I thought it was an interesting story, but the math didn't quite add up. To cover the
    >>mileage he had to at the speed he would have been averaging he'd be far older than he is. Odd the
    >>magazine editors didn't figure that out, considering the massive miles that pros put in doing
    >>training.
    >

    > That would mean being "journalists". C'mon, you didn't really expect them to actually do THAT
    > kind of work, did ya?

    Nope. Checking facts, let alone doing long division probably puts too much of a strain on them (CN
    guys aside :)

  13. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > I'm not that old (32), but I've been riding for the past 15 years with only a couple of
    > > relatively short breaks. I've always liked riding lots of kilometres, so even in the early years
    > > I was doing 20,000km/yr. The last six years would be close to the 30,000km/yr mark, so a fairly
    > > conservative estimate would be 350,000km/220,000mi. That's a hell of a lot of food.
    >
    > How many frames have you gone through in that period ? (and if you used Bianchi could you have
    > persuaded them to give you a new frame each time the current one failed)

    :) Let's see, I'm on my ninth frame now, having had one stolen, four
    break and four survive (two of which I sold, the other two I've still got). Five of those frames
    were steel, and the other four were all aluminium/steel GTs. I took advantage of the lifetime
    warranty on the GT which is why I'm still riding one. In fact I ended up with an extra GT frame
    (it broke but I got it fixed) because they gave me second hand one while shipping in a
    replacement for me.

    No complaints about GT customer service from me, although I'm not surprised they went...broke.

    Jeff

  14. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    Sergio SERVADIO <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > A friend of mine from Castelfranco Veneto, a guy who has no family of his own, no automobile but,
    > yes, a job has consistently done 30.000 kms a year the last several years. At the age of 52, not
    > bad as a record. Don't you think?

    That's excellent - I hope he continues. I regularly ride with a guy in his mid-50s who does a
    ridiculous number of miles in summer. I think he broke his one day record by riding 330 km one time
    this year. He only does one race a year, a 10 km "local riders" TT along the Schelde, and has won it
    against all ages for at least the last two years. Talk about peaking right for an event!

    cheers, Jeff

  15. On 17 Nov 2003, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > Sergio SERVADIO <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A friend of mine from Castelfranco Veneto, a guy who has no family of his own, no automobile
    > > but, yes, a job has consistently done 30.000 kms a year the last several years. At the age of
    > > 52, not bad as a record. Don't you think?

    > That's excellent - I hope he continues.

    You wouldn't believe what this guy has been capable of doing. I'll turn this post to his favourite
    buddy, in the hope he will tell everyone a few stories about him.

    Stay tuned

    Sergio

  16. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    WOW! I never thought about it. I have been riding regularly, racing, training etc... for 17 years.
    At an average of 8500 miles a year, that is 144,500 miles. I didn't realize I had ridden that many
    miles. That is going through 7 bikes that I can remember. Oh yeah...and 3 mountain bikes too. :)

  17. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > You sure about those figures Jeff? That's 55 km per day every day.
    >

    > Goddamm Kunich. No wonder you're a Cat 5.
    >

    > > I'm positive Tom. 55 km is a rest day. If anything, the estimate was on the low side.
    >

    > Agreed. 35 miles/day is quite low for someone who devotes a good portion
    of
    > their life's energy to bike racing. Surely even a significant # of Masters Fatties exceed that.

    One of local Cat-1 riders used to loop up from the valley to the mountains where I live on his
    weekly training rides which was a 160 mile monster. I used to link up with him on the road. Now
    add the other days where he trains in the same week where the miles vary according to his
    training, add them all up and that is a hell of a lot of miles weekly. He was very dedicated to
    his training rides.

  18. Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Lance Armstrong claims he's done 60,000 miles.

    Dude, LANCE did about 12,000 miles just in the past five Julys. Assuming the guy has been
    riding/racing in at least 12 years, 60K miles is just 5k a year. He must do more than that. All this
    extracurricular activity is really taking his mind off the important thing, keeping an accurate
    training log so he can impress the guys on the group rides.

    I wonder what a typical pro's numbers are for total miles _raced_. Maybe that's what LANCE meant?

  19. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I want to make a correction here - I have often seen people talk about Freddy being mentaly
    deficent. I've talked to people who know him and the Freddy is just slightly below normal IQ so
    there isn't any way you could tell him from 2/3rds of the people who post here.

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > Our club member Dan Tonelli has close to 300,000 and there is one
    guy
    > > in the US who has well over 1,000,000.
    >
    > There was some dude featured in a magazine a year or so back, who
    just
    > toodles all around on a bike. He's got some mental deficiency so
    it's
    > about all he does. He gives out worn chainrings to friends. I
    thought
    > it was an interesting story, but the math didn't quite add up. To
    cover
    > the mileage he had to at the speed he would have been averaging he'd
    be
    > far older than he is. Odd the magazine editors didn't figure that
    out,
    > considering the massive miles that pros put in doing training.
    >
    > > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > >> I'm sure as hell not, but I'm betting on Mr. Crockett for most
    > >
    > > miles.
    > >
    > >> Bill C

  20. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > This is why the only way you can discuss mileage is if you
    maintain a
    > > log of every ride.
    > >
    > I agree. I do maintain a written log and have done so for at least
    the
    > past 10 yrs. Before that I wasn't really riding any less, but I
    wasn't
    > keeping detailed notes. I rode a lot when at Uni because there was plenty of time to do so, and I
    > was there for seven and a half years.

    I'm really surprised that you have put in so many miles. I ride all I can and yet only get in some
    4000-6000 miles a year. But when I retire.......

    > > I just don't think that there are a lot of people out there that
    put
    > > in 40 miles every time they climb on a bike and they do it every
    day.

    > I don't think there are either.
    >
    > Jeff
    > p.s. Van Petegem estimates that he does close to 50,000(!) km/yr.

    I don't doubt that pros put in mega-miles. I remember Davis Phinney writing in a column when he said
    something like "I've improved a lot since I've cut way back on training miles. Now I only ride 600
    miles a week."

    But these guys most stop riding after their career is over and I think it likely that Peter will
    look a lot like Eddy in short order after he retires.