How many MPs cycle?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike Causer, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    The answer would seem to be just 11.

    LEADER OF THE HOUSE
    Cycle Allowance

    Tom Brake: To ask the Leader of the House how many hon. Members claimed the
    cycle allowance in the last period for which figures are available; and
    how much each of the 10 highest claimers claimed. [20635]

    Mr. Hoon: Eleven Members claimed a total of £888.62 in bicycle allowances in
    financial year 2004-05. The amounts claimed by each of the top 10 highest
    claimers were as follows:

    £250.00
    £242.80
    £175.26
    £81.60
    £36.00
    £34.96
    £22.88
    £18.40
    £12.80
    £12.32.

    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm051024/text/51024w22.htm

    As the allowance for cycling on official business is 20p per mile, a
    couple of them must have done over 1000 miles, which is creditworthy, but
    what about the other 635 MPs?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:
    > The answer would seem to be just 11.

    Not true. There are many more than that. A significant number do not
    claim the allowance. Boris Johnson for one.

    Cyclists I know of off the top of my head:

    Boris (con)
    David Cameron (con)
    Simon Hughes (libdem)

    ...d

    > LEADER OF THE HOUSE
    > Cycle Allowance
    >
    > Tom Brake: To ask the Leader of the House how many hon. Members claimed the
    > cycle allowance in the last period for which figures are available; and
    > how much each of the 10 highest claimers claimed. [20635]
    >
    > Mr. Hoon: Eleven Members claimed a total of £888.62 in bicycle allowances in
    > financial year 2004-05. The amounts claimed by each of the top 10 highest
    > claimers were as follows:
    >
    > £250.00
    > £242.80
    > £175.26
    > £81.60
    > £36.00
    > £34.96
    > £22.88
    > £18.40
    > £12.80
    > £12.32.
    >
    > http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm051024/text/51024w22.htm
    >
    > As the allowance for cycling on official business is 20p per mile, a
    > couple of them must have done over 1000 miles, which is creditworthy, but
    > what about the other 635 MPs?
    >

    > Mike

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:33:16 +0000, Mike Causer wrote:

    > The answer would seem to be just 11.

    There are more.

    There is a Parliamentary Bicycle group, which I believe covers both houses.
    They have an annual breakfast meeting, which the has a mass ride to
    Parliament. Two years ago this was hosted at the Tate Modern.

    http://www.bikeweek.org.uk/press-archives.php?id=50
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Cycling_Group_APPG
    http://www.cyclistspublicaffairsgroup.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:
    > The answer would seem to be just 11.

    > LEADER OF THE HOUSE
    > Cycle Allowance
    >
    > Tom Brake: To ask the Leader of the House how many hon. Members claimed the
    > cycle allowance in the last period for which figures are available; and
    > how much each of the 10 highest claimers claimed. [20635]
    >
    > Mr. Hoon: Eleven Members claimed a total of £888.62 in bicycle allowances in
    > financial year 2004-05. The amounts claimed by each of the top 10 highest
    > claimers were as follows:
    >
    > £250.00
    > £242.80
    > £175.26
    > £81.60
    > £36.00
    > £34.96
    > £22.88
    > £18.40
    > £12.80
    > £12.32.
    >
    > http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm051024/text/51024w22.htm
    >
    > As the allowance for cycling on official business is 20p per mile, a
    > couple of them must have done over 1000 miles, which is creditworthy, but
    > what about the other 635 MPs?
    >

    > Mike

    My MP, Colin Challon told me he rides a bike. He doesn't want to force
    us all to use helmets either.

  5. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:
    > The answer would seem to be just 11.

    [...]

    > As the allowance for cycling on official business is 20p per mile, a
    > couple of them must have done over 1000 miles, which is creditworthy, but
    > what about the other 635 MPs?

    If they don't use them for "official business", e.g. just use them for
    commuting to and from the office, then they won't be entitled to claim
    for anything.

    --
    Matt B

  6. "David Martin" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Mike Causer wrote:
    >> The answer would seem to be just 11.

    > Not true. There are many more than that. A significant number do not
    > claim the allowance. Boris Johnson for one.
    >
    > Cyclists I know of off the top of my head:
    >
    > Boris (con)
    > David Cameron (con)
    > Simon Hughes (libdem)

    Kim Howells (lab). He never replied to my fax about helmets, though,
    even though he was a transport minister at the time (as well as my MP)

    "We are not the only experiment"

  7. Matt B wrote:
    > Mike Causer wrote:
    >
    >> The answer would seem to be just 11.

    > [...]
    >
    >> As the allowance for cycling on official business is 20p per mile, a
    >> couple of them must have done over 1000 miles, which is creditworthy, but
    >> what about the other 635 MPs?

    > If they don't use them for "official business", e.g. just use them for
    > commuting to and from the office, then they won't be entitled to claim
    > for anything.

    Unless they use their home for constituency business[1]. All it takes is
    a few meetings with locals at home and, hey presto, you get to claim 20
    tax free pence a mile. Merely reading papers or making phone calls
    doesn't count.

    [1] Actually, I'm assuming that the same regs apply to MPs as apply to
    cllrs.

  8. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    Matt B wrote:

    > If they don't use them for "official business", e.g. just use them for
    > commuting to and from the office, then they won't be entitled to claim
    > for anything.

    That would depend on the location of one's base office. As mine is
    defined as home, my trips to the client site can be claimed.

  9. David Martin wrote:
    > Mike Causer wrote:
    >> The answer would seem to be just 11.

    > Not true. There are many more than that. A significant number do not
    > claim the allowance. Boris Johnson for one.
    >
    > Cyclists I know of off the top of my head:
    >
    > Boris (con)
    > David Cameron (con)
    > Simon Hughes (libdem)

    David Taylor, NW Leics, sometimes accompanies us on CTC runs. Don't know
    whether he cycles to work, but he couldn't do the runs he does if he didn't
    do a bit of cycling in between.
    --

    Martin Bulmer