How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe West, Oct 2, 2004.

1. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

It's a good argument and one I agree with, with the proviso that drugs should be subject to restrictions and controls.

2. Matt888

Matt888 New Member

And the smae goes to your debating skills. No minds changed from your countless drivel either. Car's are pretty poor comparison as they are at least usefull. Guns are good for shooting things and thats it. Bzzz! try again genius.

3. cbjesseeNH

cbjesseeNH New Member

Sorry to hear the former. But that brings up a point often made - shouldn't gun owners be licensed like automobile drivers?

May so... it seems like a good idea to me.

Almost anyone 14-16 years of age can get a drivers license. A license issued by one state is be good in every other state. A single test and application is good for life, with infrequent renewals. Your license can be revoked but rarely can your car be taken from you. You can buy as many cars as you like, as often as you like - small ones or "high-capacity" miltary-style vehicles too. And you don't need a license to own or operate a car on private property.

But since more people by far are killed in driving accidents than by guns, maybe we could slack off the rules on guns quite a bit more than for cars, eh?

4. cbjesseeNH

cbjesseeNH New Member

Heck, a car can get you to the market to buy a six-pack of beer! A gun might only be useful in saving your life. And you might not have to fire the gun to find that utility - just the threat can be enough.

I wonder if a having a car can get you that six-pack of beer even if you don't drive it to the market? Maybe your right - a car is a pretty poor comparison for the usefullness of guns.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

This fellow was Bob Bachtel. He was a fine friend and back in our mis-spent youths we raced and trained many a mile together.

[​IMG]

He was killed by an evil, urban assault vehicle designed only to kill, maim and pollute mother earth! Ban the cars! The driver hit hit Bob so hard that the impact tore his aorta. Bob bled to death in the arms of a mutual friend that couldn't keep his airway from filling with blood.

Ban the cars now! Do it for the children...and the earth. And for folks like Bob Bachtel.

If we go back in history a bit, the first recorded car 'accident' in america involved a car hitting a cyclist!

See?!?!

Cars have been assaulting cyclists since the beginning! Ban them!!

I urge all my fellow cyclists to please allow themselves to be assaulted by automobiles. No good can possibly come from defending yourself from them!

6. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Use a car to defend yourself then!
    :D :D :D :D

7. CAMPYBOB

I take it that you don't hunt?

I eat deer, rabbit, pheasant, duck, goose. antelope, etc. thanks to my woodcraft and marksmanship. I call that "usefull".

I call being able to defend myself "usefull".

I call competing in shooting matches a "usefull" skill.

I call the discipline and restraint derived from using firearms all my life a "usefull" trait.

I call the money earned from buying/selling firearms "usefull".

I call the countless frienships established thru shooting sports over the years "usefull".

I call being a man capable of relying on myself "usefull".

Of course, YMMV.

Speaking of "genius", is "smae" a word? Or just your idea of "drivel"? Is there an apostrophe in "car's"? Do sentence fragments indicate fragmented thoughts? Well, there's no problem, Albert...just try using spellcheck next time or being a little less emotional when you type.

Cheerio.

8. CAMPYBOB

Excellent!

I was afraid my carbon frame wasn't going to hold up against the Lincoln Navigator anyway!

9. Matt888

Matt888 New Member

Also, since when was this a debate about violent crime, and stats and rates of such activity. No one is disagreeing with the fact that it does and will go on. Humans are basically selfish and easily corrupted by delusions of granduer, greed, jelousy and various other factors which prepetuate violent behavour. The fact that you think it's fine for these people to abtain a firearm to play out this behaviour is just insane.

The arguement that knifes are also evil so we should start ripping our food apart with our hands no matter how tongue in cheek that statement was is just plain childish and trivialises both your point and mine.

Then we move onto the statement that blue prints and nuts and bolts are as much to blame, does the same as I mentioned above.

Not only did you not acknowledge that missiles and for lack of a better term, i'll use one that your most infamous imbisile of a presedent loves to throw around "weapons of mass destruction" are indeed inherintly bad because they are made of the same meterial as most household apliances just shows that you are clutching at straws and have nothing but your right to defend yourself to fall back on. That is your arguement, thats it! You have nothing else.
    You start to twist it into a debate about violent crime rates, automobile fatalities and cutlary. Cutlary???? Are you serious or are you just plain ignorant? That is a serious question by the way.
    Look, the fact of the matter is you can have your guns in your country and it's your peragative to do so and do it legally. I don't agree with it, and that is how I feel. Ulitmately all it means to me is just another reason why I will never go to America. You claim to be the land of the free and all that and having the right to abtain an implement designed to t kill and use it to do so may make you feel that way. The way I see it that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself and loved ones from crazy fools who may or may not attack you at any given moment, sounds very paranoid and trapped as appossed to any version of freedom that I can imagine.
    Living where I have lived my life in many places in this Country and others. The only time I've seen a gun is on a police officers belt, and that gives no end of comfort and make me feel free to go about my business.
    Now to get a reply in to your next onslaught of paranoid excuse making for all the reasons why guns are great. If I do happen to come across someone who wishes to kill me then that will more than likely be the case unless i'm extremely lucky or manage to use my words instead of my fists(which is certainlty the message I try to send my kids). Where your country perpetuates a message that you can always solve the problem with your gun, because it's your right to have one. Now I'm not saying my way is full proof as the crazy person may well just kill me no matter what I say. But hey, considering that if both people are carrying a weapon it's almost certain that people are going to die, I'll take my way over yours any day. Because lets face it we are pretty much set in our ways by now and our veiw and opinions are pretty well formed and usually takes physical evidence for us to change our minds. Children on the other hand have minds that can be taught. What are you teaching your kids. I know what i'm teaching mine.

10. CAMPYBOB

Cool! He's ranting now!

It's become evident that some folks just should not own firearms...or sharp sticks for that matter!

What are you teaching your kids.

To shoot for center mass...two to the chest, one to the head, then keep pulling the trigger to slidelock.

I also teach fast tactical reloads.

What's in your wallet? :D

11. Matt888

Matt888 New Member

Sorry, wasn't aware I was being graded on my spelling and grammer. Which clearly I failed anyway.
    Funny you should bring up the being a man bit. I always thought it took a big man to hunt. And obviously a gun is the key ingredient to hunting???? For when god created man he created a gun too, just so he could hunt, yeah right. I'm not religeous by the way. How about you use some real skill and use a spear. I'd be far more impressed with your manly selfreliance then. Or would that be too time consuming as useing a gun is far more convenient . Wait, I've got convenient for you. Instead of hunting, go to butcher and purchase your meat using money. Now thats convenient. Ok, obviously I don't hunt but I do fish does that count? Therefore I'm not a man in your eyes. I guess that I take solice in the fact my family are well fed, well dressed get to participate in what they choose and have a nice house to live in and my kids go to a great school. I feel enough of man. Regardless of my ability to hunt, I think I can comprehensivly say, I can rely on myself quite adequetly.

Apologies in advance for spelling and grammer errors.:cool:

12. CAMPYBOB

You stated you rely on the cop's gun. You rely on the butcher. Then you state you can rely upon yourself "adequately". I think not.

I raise my own beef, thanks to owning a horse ranch. I don't rely on the cop's gun. I rely on my own. The cop is a long way off even if i were to put my security in his hands.

As far as hunting with a spear goes, been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt. I've also used re-curve bow, compound bow and cross bow. Lest we forget, also muzzle-loaders.

Any other assumptions you care to have dis-armed (pardon the poor pun) while we're at it?

Well, mate, this IS a debate about violent crime because it can and does happen to cyclists. Whether it be in the form of criminals from muggers to thieves to rapists or from the assault from motorists, you can actually do something...such as defend yourself from such harm...or not. The choice is yours.

Oh...it's "grammar",not "grammer" but I've given up on the idea that you can be 'skuuled' in life or debating.

Regards and safe cycling to you.
    Campybob

13. Matt888

Matt888 New Member

All good mate. I hope you never need to use one for anything other than the things you enjoy using it for.

Think this arguement would be better over a pint anyway. Atleast you couldn't pick on me for my poor spelling and grammar. See i'm learning:D

Safe cycling to you as well.
    I guess we need to throw it in there as this is a cycling forum;)

14. n2t

n2t New Member

Drugs aren't evil, I don't understand the corelation. Alcohol, pot, etc are not bad, they are addictive and cause users to perform irrationaly. Being illegal doesn't make something worse. Personaly I'm more affraid of a drunk driver than a guy smoking pot. Neither of these things are evil. Harder drugs are also an issue, so are steroids, pain pills etc etc..none of these things are evil or cause bad things to happen. People using, abusing, breaking laws with etc are the problem. Again, a pot plant in the feild is fine, some guy high on crack driving a bus is bad. The logic for the similarity between drugs and guns I can't follow. One alters your state of mind making it easier to make poor choices, one does not, it simply exists and you still have every ability to make your own choices unimpeded. As for using a gun to solve problems. Look everyone is willing to try the talk first approach, but when the person decides that you and your family would be less of a hastle dead, or takes an intrest in your wife/daughter, or is trying to take your kid..plan B is great. There really are people who will do this kind of stuff in the world. They will take children, use violence with or without a gun and to attempt to have a rational discussion with the guy who spent the last two months finding a way to get your daughter away from you strikes me as a poor idea. Just my point of view of course.

15. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

While we're correcting spelling...it's actually spelled "inanimate".
    No thanks necessary...
    :D

16. CAMPYBOB

Thanks!

I also forgot a period back there...somewhere. Do be a good chap and see if you can find it for me! :D

17. cbjesseeNH

cbjesseeNH New Member

At last, a point of agreement. A firearm is, of course, reserved for defense of life and limb, so may not be the first resort.

If out of your car, get in, lock doors, start engine, drive away. If in your car, don't get out, windows up/doors locked, drive away.

You can use others' cars to defend yourself too - if some jerk pulls up, stops, shouts out the window he's going to assault you (in whatever colorful vernacularhe chooses), don't let him out of his car. Once having announced his intention to assault you, you don't need to let him do so before defending yourself. He opens his door, flips his left leg out, leans his head and torso to the left to climb out, and you body slam the door shut on him - repeatedly, if necessary.

There are plenty of threads about chasing rude drivers, using your 18lb of carbon bike to challenge their 1-2 tons of steel, so I'll not go there.

18. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

True, but those damn purple and polka dot spiders will force drugs on you and crawl all over you.
    They will then build a fire and dance around it singing and chanting all night.
    Some of them sing pretty well.

19. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

You missed a period?
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    OMG,Bob...do you know who the father is?

20. Joe West

Joe West New Member

I love this thread... I think it will never die :)

Forget the actual topic of weapons... the cultural differences brought forth in this thread have opened my eyes to the amazing differences that occur between SIMILAR cultures (say for instance, Australia and America).

It is no wonder our idiotic President thought he could make changes in Iraq and bring them around to "our way of thinking"... hell; we can't even agree on the value of guns with a similar culture...

I wish George W. Bush had read this thread before he decided to invade Iraq... perhaps he would have changed his mind.

None-the-less... carry on you pro-freedom cyclists! I sense a wave of support turning the tide in our favor and soon, this entire forum will be asking us what our lightweight weapon of choice is!!!

:D

Joe