How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

I fear our AUS/UK anti-gun contingent have been assualted, killed, or worse...

A moment of silence, please, for those forum members offerring up themselves as defenseless victims to keep their national firearms homicide index 3x lower than the US.

cbjesseeNH said:
I fear our AUS/UK anti-gun contingent have been assualted, killed, or worse...

A moment of silence, please, for those forum members offerring up themselves as defenseless victims to keep their national firearms homicide index 3x lower than the US.
Mental!
oh no I don't carry a gun I find my baseball bat is more than adeqaute!

robwatson35 said:
Mental!
oh no I don't carry a gun I find my baseball bat is more than adeqaute!
Physical!
There are very few places that one can legally carry a bat, club or other such impact weapon for self-defense in the US. "Private Citizens" can get a baton permit in TN and maybe KY with state-approved training.

A gun is much preferred.

I sometimes carry a KelTec P11. It's a bit heavy, but while I'm a decent, law-abiding citizen, I try to be prepared for a meeting with someone who was not raised with morals, ethics or a conscience.

openclassmx said:
I sometimes carry a KelTec P11. It's a bit heavy, but while I'm a decent, law-abiding citizen, I try to be prepared for a meeting with someone who was not raised with morals, ethics or a conscience.
So if they don't have any of those characteristics you just blow their head off! wish I had your ethics!

You Americans are ****ED! What kind of country do you live in where you have to worry about carrying a gun on a ride!?!?!

Seriously, what a ****ed up country!

nitrous said:
You Americans are ****ED! What kind of country do you live in where you have to worry about carrying a gun on a ride!?!?!

well it is what it is. i am glad you dont have to worry about it, i wish we didn't

nitrous said:

We Aussies know this because we live Godsown country and can see the world clearly from our vantage point.

You should all come and live here, there is lots of space for cycling and criminals get extra cuddly treatment. Nobody carries a gun, there is plenty of sunshine, and victims are eagerly waiting to hand over money.

(Just don't mention the word 'terrorist' - a vewwy bad word at the moment)

nitrous said:

Being the world's only remaining superpower does have it's drawbacks. When the SHTF anywhere on the globe, you're damned for inaction or damned for wrong action. I'd sure rather see us spend our time & money on home issues.

Of course, with a land area about the size of all of Europe, the US fares reasonably well in keeping things in order. Aside from our Civil War, we haven't had any regional mass genocides, military coups, and such.

And with a population density more than 10-fold that of AUS,and almost 15-fold more people in total, it's no wonder we have more problems.

Frankly, what surprises me, is that we have only 3-fold more homicides than AUS. What doesn't surprise me is our lower violent crime rate.

cbjesseeNH said:
Of course, with a land area about the size of all of Europe, the US fares reasonably well in keeping things in order. Aside from our Civil War, we haven't had any regional mass genocides, military coups, and such.
no genocides apart from the small matter of the native American nations:-(

cbjesseeNH said:
Frankly, what surprises me, is that we have only 3-fold more homicides than AUS. What doesn't surprise me is our lower violent crime rate.

'only' 3 fold more! We need to work on it a bit harder so that I can learn to love carrying a gun for self protection on a ride!

the are a lot of very dangerous bunyips where I ride but I haven't needed a gun yet:-(

No I don't carry a gun, in Italy it's forbidden to hang around with weapons (also with knives, chainsaws, even scissors and bike-chains). Really!!!

N.A. Arms .22L, 5 shot rev. w/ hollow pts. or for more dangerous urban riding, my S&W 5906 mini 9mm w/ Hydro Shocks just to keep everyone honest! This day and age(in America anyway) gotta be ready. In case ppl not from america don't know this, a lot of ppl do not like cyclists, we get in their "way" while they are driving their SUVs that don't fit in the travel lanes to begin with and in the tough areas(urban riding) we are simply trespassing! So a little help from a little friend is ok by me! It's a shame that times are like this, but they are. If you are not prepared, well lets just say, I hope you are when you need to be!

robwatson35 said:
So if they don't have any of those characteristics you just blow their head off! wish I had your ethics!
Nice job putting words into my mouth. Please look into "reading for context". What I meant is PEOPLE WHO WOULD DO ME HARM. See, people who would do such a thing are people who don't have morals, ethics, or a conscience. When you deal with a criminal who has no conscience, you can't use reason. You can't appeal to their sense of decency (they don't have one). What you have to do is try to remove yourself from danger. If danger will not let you remove yourself from it, then you have no choice but to play to win.

Perhaps you think it makes you nobler than me to lie down and beg for your life than to fight(in this hypothetical situation, of course)? If those are the kind of ethics you DON'T criticize, then you're welcome to them.

Think I'm stretching by using this example? A woman was murdered on the rails-to-trails MUP that I ride every week. I have ridden by her memorial many times. My wife often rides with me. Self-protection hits home for me.
BTW, the wife is a better shot with the Colt that she carries than I am.

BTW, the wife is a better shot with the Colt that she carries than I am.

I hear ya! My wife can chew the center out of the target with any 1911 in our collection. Women are often great combat shooters, also. The Chechan 'White Stockings' and WW2 Russian snipers are proof of that.