How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

It's the common belief in Saudi Arabia that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. Does that make it morally appropriate to ban them from the polls?

ItsikH said:
1st of all, it is a funny thing about the meaning of words... Aren't liberals supposed to oppose gun control? And to the point:

Being a liberal to me means that I oppose the use (actually abuse) of regulation unless absolutely necessary, *and* concensual. The 2nd requirement is based on my assumption that regulation will not change people. Only if most people agree that such regulation is legitimate and required, it could be effective. In the US the "right to bear arms", which sounds ridiculous to me (it is evidently inconsistent with the right to live), is a common belief shared by most people, therefore gun control is morally inappropriate and is not expected to be effective either.

artmichalek said:
It's the common belief in Saudi Arabia that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. Does that make it morally appropriate to ban them from the polls?
Good point. BTW, they also cut off thieves' hands in public:eek: .
My point is that by such regulation you could only prevent law-obiding citizens from carrying guns, while criminals would still do so... unless most people do not carry guns in the first place, and do not believe that people should carry guns except law officers. In other words, regulation is ineffective unless it is supported by the absolute majority, and if not it is immoral in the sense that it will not serve its purpose or even worse - promote criminal behaviour. I was not referring to the moral aspect of carrying guns, or the right to carry guns.

Routier said:
Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!
Carry a gun to the theater, laundry, grocery store and on rides. Be prepared, not a VICTIM.

BTW - a G27 fits nicely in a hip pack on road or mtb.

I just strap on of these to my back...

fn_r_nemesis.jpg

and I'm good to go. No more worries of bad guys, liberals, rogue ferrets, bill collectors, or governmant agents trying to collect my brain waves (hence the tin foil under my Giro).

SpearSlinger1 said:
Except that it might be a little cumbersome at over 3 feet long and almost 30 lbs. Nice looking rifle if you need a .50, though.:)
Nice - but a little on the big size for my 56cm frame.

I like this one, and some pepper spray for the dogs, coyotes and - no kidding, water moccasins. Last week my son and I had to stop for 5 minutes while a cottonmouth, who was blocking the single track, decided which way to go. Didn't spray him, as he was just confused. He slithered off down towards the creek.

http://cs.felk.cvut.cz/~xruzickj/glock/G27.jpg

Oh yeah, I also carry a gun to the gym, as does this girl
http://www.sachsreport.com/girls%20and%20guns.jpg

These gals guard the feed station on our Saturday morning group rides
http://ipsc-austria.org/Deutsch/Matchberichte/2003/MAGICS/girls-guns.jpg

:)

Nice Glock, that .40 S&W (10mm short) is a good caliber, too.

Snakes? Uncommon to find one around here, but much more prolific back home in Florida. Shooting them makes too much noise. Copperheads, water moccasins, rattlers, I usually just swat them with a stick, cut the head off, and carry them home for dinner.:)

SpearSlinger1 said:
Nice Glock, that .40 S&W (10mm short) is a good caliber, too.

Snakes? Uncommon to find one around here, but much more prolific back home in Florida. Shooting them makes too much noise. Copperheads, water moccasins, rattlers, I usually just swat them with a stick, cut the head off, and carry them home for dinner.:)
I've eaten snake (cobra I think) in a restaurant, and had some good gator down in the Houston area. How do you prepare that snake? We're going on a boy scout camp out this weekend and, I need to be prepared!:)
I guess in the old days when I carried a full size frame pump, I was better prepared to deal with snakes. You could extend those about 5 feet and get those buggers out of the way. Doesn't work so well with a little CO2 cartridge.

Hazmat said:
aluminum, easy super .45 conversion, but Ima Kimber *****...

http://www.m1911.org/images/k6.jpg
Kimber is making some really fine pistolos these days. I looked at a TLE and it was every bit as nice as a Les Baer custom I bought about 15 years ago - for a lot less money. The flashlight mount is nice for night rides too. Too bad I can't mount it on my handlebar!;)

Another nice one. Yeah, Kimber makes some real good stuff.

I like snake, and a lot of other things, fish, frog, rabbit, squirrel, etc., deep fried. One thing I've been considering doing is carry a ~3' piece from the tip of a fiberglass bicycle flag stick on my bike, when I get back home, for a snake switch. The time I used a ~18" surveyor flag to switch a water moccasin to death, it was the quickest thing I could get my hands on before he got away, taught me switching them doesn't mess the meat up like pounding on them with a stick can.:)

Excellent!

This has been a real education and probably one of the most entertaining threads that I have ever read. I even registered to have a say so regardless of the strange juxtaposition of biking and guns, the net effect is another subscriber.

It is also one of the saddest reads I have ever experienced because despite the inevitable gut-reaction to the parade of strongly held opinions, it has reinforced the stereotype that many non-Americans hold of Americans.

As another NW England inhabitant (home of the moors and connoisseur of the mud-tyre) I have to agree with another contributor that the first gun I ever seen in real life was at Manchester Airport and now at most other airports.

I have met the odd guy (always male) in the UK who belongs to a gun club and one chap who claimed to own an illegal replica and they shared one trait in common. To a man they were regarded as ”weirdoes”. And that is the essential difference between the UK and US. Here only drug based criminals and weirdoes like guns.

Strangely this binds us strongly with most of mainland Europe as well. I have been biking with Dutchmen, Danes, Swedes and a French guy, along with several Aussies and Kiwis. So the list includes some of the New World. As you might expect (because I met them biking in the UK) these people were travelled and open minded. And sadly they shared a common stereotypical view of Americans. This was even true of the Aussies and Kiwis who seemed to be driven to experience new cultures and people, way more open-minded that most Brits (debates on Rugby aside).

Then I went to the US on business. Twice, once to New York and once to Baltimore. Both great places and guess what?

I met no right wing Christian zealots; no gun toting maniacs; never felt like I was going to be mugged in Manhattan (consider Bolton, discuss); No “Leader of the Free Worlders”; no pro-life, anti vivisectionists; no “US of A bailed you Brits out in WW2ers”; no harsh words; very few breast augmentations. To a person (even the softly spoken and astute Texan) everyone I met was reasonable, educated, ordinary. True, many were a bit podgy and all seemed to dislike Canada, but hey, it’s a Free World.

Until I read this group, I was happy to have cast off my stereotypes.

So I would like to both warn and pose a question for fellow contributors:

Please do not judge all America by all that you read here. The gun lobby has many decent people and the cultural divide is too great to span, especially in the face of strongly held opinion and dogma on all sides.

Secondly, it seems to me that those that have travelled abroad widely often soften their viewpoint. It may seem utterly bizarre to non Americans that such views and strange technical firearms related expertise are paraded publicly and without any trace of irony. Equally I think that it is impossible for many Americans to understand the open mouthed revulsion that such closely held opinions can generate elsewhere. So, when faced with strong opinions from any side – ask them how much they have travelled before you criticise or attach value to their cultural or moral opinions.

Even from someone who treasured their US made Intense Tracer I am still proud to live where I do. The same will be said by everyone posting here. The reason that many patriots find to love their country are often precisely the reasons that others would not chose to live there. And this is an American website, so what do others like me expect when we poke our noses in?

My apologies if I have offended anyone; it was not my intent

Muscardinus said:
Excellent!

This has been a real education and probably one of the most entertaining threads that I have ever read. I even registered to have a say so regardless of the strange juxtaposition of biking and guns, the net effect is another subscriber.

It is also one of the saddest reads I have ever experienced because despite the inevitable gut-reaction to the parade of strongly held opinions, it has reinforced the stereotype that many non-Americans hold of Americans.

As another NW England inhabitant (home of the moors and connoisseur of the mud-tyre) I have to agree with another contributor that the first gun I ever seen in real life was at Manchester Airport and now at most other airports.

I have met the odd guy (always male) in the UK who belongs to a gun club and one chap who claimed to own an illegal replica and they shared one trait in common. To a man they were regarded as ”weirdoes”. And that is the essential difference between the UK and US. Here only drug based criminals and weirdoes like guns.

Strangely this binds us strongly with most of mainland Europe as well. I have been biking with Dutchmen, Danes, Swedes and a French guy, along with several Aussies and Kiwis. So the list includes some of the New World. As you might expect (because I met them biking in the UK) these people were travelled and open minded. And sadly they shared a common stereotypical view of Americans. This was even true of the Aussies and Kiwis who seemed to be driven to experience new cultures and people, way more open-minded that most Brits (debates on Rugby aside).

Then I went to the US on business. Twice, once to New York and once to Baltimore. Both great places and guess what?

I met no right wing Christian zealots; no gun toting maniacs; never felt like I was going to be mugged in Manhattan (consider Bolton, discuss); No “Leader of the Free Worlders”; no pro-life, anti vivisectionists; no “US of A bailed you Brits out in WW2ers”; no harsh words; very few breast augmentations. To a person (even the softly spoken and astute Texan) everyone I met was reasonable, educated, ordinary. True, many were a bit podgy and all seemed to dislike Canada, but hey, it’s a Free World.

Until I read this group, I was happy to have cast off my stereotypes.

So I would like to both warn and pose a question for fellow contributors:

Please do not judge all America by all that you read here. The gun lobby has many decent people and the cultural divide is too great to span, especially in the face of strongly held opinion and dogma on all sides.

Secondly, it seems to me that those that have travelled abroad widely often soften their viewpoint. It may seem utterly bizarre to non Americans that such views and strange technical firearms related expertise are paraded publicly and without any trace of irony. Equally I think that it is impossible for many Americans to understand the open mouthed revulsion that such closely held opinions can generate elsewhere. So, when faced with strong opinions from any side – ask them how much they have travelled before you criticise or attach value to their cultural or moral opinions.

Even from someone who treasured their US made Intense Tracer I am still proud to live where I do. The same will be said by everyone posting here. The reason that many patriots find to love their country are often precisely the reasons that others would not chose to live there. And this is an American website, so what do others like me expect when we poke our noses in?

My apologies if I have offended anyone; it was not my intent
God God! There's a Brit among us! Quick, everyone, act like we 'really' like them! :) :) Just kidding. I'm an American, a Texan at that, who really does like Britain. I've had the pleasure of spending many months there riding, and racing, in the early 80s as I was educated in England, and Belgium (Long story.) And have returned many times on business and pleasure. Still - I always separate the British from Europeons. Brits, in general, are far stronger, more adaptable, and plainly smarter and more sensible than the EuroPeons across the channel. Sadly, Prince Phillip, one of the last REAL men in high public 'office' there gets slapped down every time he shows he has a pair of balls and is not some p whipped sap.
Still - if you come to my neck of the woods in Texas, I'll introduce you to the people you said you didn't meet, and show you why you don't need to fear, resent or dislike them. Well, except for the stupid webailedyououtinWW2 types. They're a bit shortsighted to say the least.

Cheers, from a pistol packin, pro-life, NRA life member, Texan cyclist.

Well, I appreciate the offer.

And I appreciate your views (though Prince Philip for all his testosterone is mainly Greek. Bizarrely he shook my hand once and mumbled something inaudible at a charity do).

And obviously you have my gratitude for any part you or your family played in rescuing me from the Nazis.

Though we must diverge on the queston of gun toting!

Just ordered (well... 6 months ago I ordered) a Wilson Combat 1911... Looked at Kimber but read some bad things about their MIM process (most, likely not true but enough to make me decide to go with all forged parts).
You can't go wrong with a 1911 :D

Joe

szbert said:
Kimber is making some really fine pistolos these days. I looked at a TLE and it was every bit as nice as a Les Baer custom I bought about 15 years ago - for a lot less money. The flashlight mount is nice for night rides too. Too bad I can't mount it on my handlebar!;)

Hi ItsikH,

The right to bear arms isn't at all inconsistent with the right to live...unless you are a bad guy doing any of a number of things which could get you shot... like rape, murder, arson, and so on. In most cases; you have the right to shoot someone who you fear will take YOUR life... so the right to bear arms is utterly consistent with the right to live (YOUR right to live)

Joe

ItsikH said:
In the US the "right to bear arms", which sounds ridiculous to me (it is evidently inconsistent with the right to live), is a common belief shared by most people, therefore gun control is morally inappropriate and is not expected to be effective either.

Dang... I think we ran off the anti-gun liberals...
<grin>

Just kidding... I know you are all still reading this but you don't want to respond because it will just precipitate this thread which you are hoping will either die or be deleted by the moderators :D

Joe West said:
Dang... I think we ran off the anti-gun liberals...
<grin>

[snip]

Heh heh. In Australian political party-speak, the Liberal Party is synonymous with the Republican Party ha ha ha!

Obviously a different meaning is applied in the US...

Ritch.

Holy Smoke!

If the Republican party in Australia is the liberal party... is the other party MORE LIBERAL than liberal or is it conservative?

:D

You guys need to change your political parties... Republican is conservative and the (tax and spend) Democratic party is liberal.
<grin>

Got that?

ritcho said:
Heh heh. In Australian political party-speak, the Liberal Party is synonymous with the Republican Party ha ha ha!

Obviously a different meaning is applied in the US...

Ritch.