How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Telegram Sam said:
And isn't the song "God bless America"? Just checking

He's talking about the redneck, hillbilly song by Lee Greenwood I think. It's the one that includes the eloquent line "there ain't no doubt I love this land" :rolleyes:. You have to keep in mind that he's singing to his target audience I guess.

This is from someone from Minnesohda (As Governor Body Slam would say):D

meehs said:
He's talking about the redneck, hillbilly song by Lee Greenwood I think. It's the one that includes the eloquent line "there ain't no doubt I love this land" :rolleyes:. You have to keep in mind that he's singing to his target audience I guess.

bishan said:
This is from someone from Minnesohda (As Governor Body Slam would say):D

Yes it is. What difference does that make? Not enough rednecks here for you? Try going south and look for Bubba's with their shotguns mounted in the rear windshield of their pick-'em-up trucks, oh and maybe a big confederate flag sticker on the back. LOL!

Oh and by the way (just so you know) Ventura isn't the governor of our state anymore. Thank God! ;)

Being called a redneck from a damned yankee is a badge of honor.

meehs said:

I carry 2 guns while im biking and they are loaded and ready to go at a moments notice....all I have to do is stand and run in the pedals as fast as I can and those guns sseem to always have the power needed to drop the bad guy.... :p

Oh, to be young again . . . :) My 'guns' have on and off days, and I just can't predict them.

mwinoski said:
I carry 2 guns while im biking and they are loaded and ready to go at a moments notice....all I have to do is stand and run in the pedals as fast as I can and those guns sseem to always have the power needed to drop the bad guy.... :p

I met another rider here in Arizona the other day who was actually carrying on the same ride I was. While I prefer to carry in the top pouch on my rear pannier, he was carrying in a belly pouch that fit underneath his cycling clothes... it was hard to tell he even had a weapon on him.

A bit of an aside... but pretty neat none-the-less.

Joe

im 13.,...so i dont think legually i could...but i have brought a hand gun pellet gun i have....CO2 type....only because i was going to a part of the trail that i new had some drug adicts around it sometimes....so yeah it depends were u ride...but i feel safer with a pellet gun...thats for sure specally since i ride on my own...*hunting pellets :)...SHH dont tell*

~Scott

Hey Scott... good start; a pellet gun is better than nothing. When you turn 21, I'd recommend a .45ACP 1911 that shoots BIG pellets :)
If you haven't already done so... get some training on handguns from your local firing range. You are NEVER too young for training.

Joe

Muddy Beast said:
im 13.,...so i dont think legually i could...but i have brought a hand gun pellet gun i have....CO2 type....only because i was going to a part of the trail that i new had some drug adicts around it sometimes....so yeah it depends were u ride...but i feel safer with a pellet gun...thats for sure specally since i ride on my own...*hunting pellets :)...SHH dont tell*

~Scott

haha dont worry iv been playn wid guns since the beginning of time...i own a few pistol plastic bb guns and rifles...im good with gun i can do that turn around and shoot wen u hit the target....so yeah im good...wid my pellet gun i could shoot someones eye out in a split second....:) i train in my back yard all the time...and then in scouts *im in scouts, for college and job recivmeys* i shoot black powder mussle loaders...theres really fun

~Scott

here in california it is not permitted but i have considered it. i ride waaay out in areas where one could disappear. maybe a .25 or a .22 mag.

but i do carry mace and or pepper spray and a dagger made of fiberglass
(an AG russell cia letter opener) just to pick debris outta my tires...;)

Joe West said:
Just wondering how many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment? Here in Arizona we can legally carry open and concealed (concealed with permit).

For long distance touring and bicycle camping... I think I'd feel safer carrying my .45 semi-auto pistol (concealed so it doesn't freak people out).

Anyone else carry while biking?

JW

I have lifted with a guy that had a walther in the gym bag, you just never know...

gixser11 said:
If I was worried bad enough to have to carry a gun on a bike ride I would choose another route or just go to the gym and ride an exercise bike.
My only concern is while riding is getting hit by a vehicle.

Hypnospin said:
here in california it is not permitted but i have considered it. i ride waaay out in areas where one could disappear. maybe a .25 or a .22 mag.

but i do carry mace and or pepper spray and a dagger made of fiberglass
(an AG russell cia letter opener) just to pick debris outta my tires...;)

Why a .22 or .25 ACP? Why not something substantial, like a .380? The P3AT made by Kel Tec is a high quality recoil operated (NOT blow back) 6+1 capacity DAO. Perfect for cyclist as it is only 10 ounces, LOADED. That is right, a half-full bottle of water weighs more. That is also a full half pound lighter than a S&W Airweight, a comparable revolver on the basis of ballistics but you also get 2 additional rounds with the auto.

I carry one specifically for defense against stray dogs, a problem where I ride. I have only pulled it one time on a dog. The dog sensed it and discontinued his pursuit well before he came within uncomfortable range, that being about 25 yards.

Joe,

Ah, but what was he carrying in the belly pouch compared to what you were carrying in the pannier? I would be interested in knowing what he was able to conceal that effectively and what sort of jersey he was wearing.

Steve

Joe West said:
I met another rider here in Arizona the other day who was actually carrying on the same ride I was. While I prefer to carry in the top pouch on my rear pannier, he was carrying in a belly pouch that fit underneath his cycling clothes... it was hard to tell he even had a weapon on him.

A bit of an aside... but pretty neat none-the-less.

Joe

SiGromit said:
Joe,

Ah, but what was he carrying in the belly pouch compared to what you were carrying in the pannier? I would be interested in knowing what he was able to conceal that effectively and what sort of jersey he was wearing.

Steve

Can't someone conceal this whole thread, please?

ROTFL

Why would you want to hide a thread about guns as cycling equipment? As you can see... there are plenty of us who carry weapons when we ride , and whether or not you agree with it; it is a fact that guns ARE cycling equipment.

Joe

artemidorus said:
Can't someone conceal this whole thread, please?

I ride recreationally in South Florida, and I usually carry my Glock 19, 9MM stashed away in my Cammel pack.
Never Know what kind of critiers you will find on these roads, four legged ones and two legged ones!
:cool:

Joe West said:
ROTFL

Why would you want to hide a thread about guns as cycling equipment? As you can see... there are plenty of us who carry weapons when we ride , and whether or not you agree with it; it is a fact that guns ARE cycling equipment.

Joe
Not good enough. Whether it's consistent with your perspective or not, this is an inflammatory issue more about law, society, and culture--evidenced by the fact that three quarters of this thread is debate about law, society, and culture.

I could consider my pecker a piece of equipment that I haul along for rides, and propose a thread about ways to employ it on my favorite climb. Because I have some respect for the spirit of this forum, though, I recognize that topic would be better suited to the cycling corner of an anatomy forum (or an alloy-fetish forum).

This topic is suited to the cycling sub-group of a gun ownership forum. Your unwillingness to acknowledge that simply reinforces that you're a combative dude here to make a tough-guy point... and it ain't a point about bikes.

I assume some think they have a right to assault cyclists and therefore shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves or maybe some cyclists just choose not to.
I always carry, everywhere.

If your laws weren't as liberal as your lawmakers, we wouldn't have to worry about carrying while cycling.