How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

I am thinking about attaching a lance to my bike so I can do battle with other cyclists. If they don't catch on quickly to carrying a weapon and leave their lance at home ,it's not my problem.
A 6 foot lance should be joust about right.

mitosis said:
John Howard's gun legacy - 200 lives saved a year
Control guns, control gun deaths.
Suicides by shooting down by 74% according to study.

Interesting link to a story at the bottom of the page. Six unrelated shootings over a week's time: 2 Dead, 4 Survivors. In possibly all of the cases, a firearm in the hands of the victims could have been useful for self-defense.

The point of the article should be that, even if people suffer death or serious bodily injury by lack of access to a firearm for self-defense, they and their surviving loved ones can take solace knowing that others who want to commit suicide with guns cannot do so. More must involuntarily suffer at the hands of criminals to spare others who wish to voluntarily die by their own hand.

If this is the best that can be said about Howard's gun control legacy, that's pretty sad...

Proponents had declared success of the new laws, having artificially set "mass-murder" at a threshold of 5+. Just like a knife-murder draws little media attention or civic out-cry for action, in here in Boston, the shooting of 4 appears a less significant event Down Under.

jhuskey said:
I am thinking about attaching a lance to my bike so I can do battle with other cyclists. If they don't catch on quickly to carrying a weapon and leave their lance at home ,it's not my problem.

Funny as hell :cool:

mitosis said:

Interesting link to a story at the bottom of the page. Six unrelated shootings over a week's time: 2 Dead, 4 Survivors. In possibly all of the cases, a firearm in the hands of the victims could have been useful for self-defense.

The point of the article should be that, even if people suffer death or serious bodily injury by lack of access to a firearm for self-defense, they and their surviving loved ones can take solace knowing that others who want to commit suicide with guns cannot do so. More must involuntarily suffer at the hands of criminals to spare others who wish to voluntarily die by their own hand.

If this is the best that can be said about Howard's gun control legacy, that's pretty sad...

Proponents had declared success of the new laws, having artificially set "mass-murder" at a threshold of 5+. Just like a knife-murder draws little media attention or civic out-cry for action here in Boston, the shooting of 4 appears a less significant event Down Under.
At least if you want to claim the laws effective...

The AUS 2009 data does indeed show gun use in murder and attempted murder to be ~1/3 and~ ½ that for knives, so some measure of success is felt by the anti-gun proponents, I’m sure. Curious that guns are used more in attempted murder than murders - bad shots maybe...

jhuskey said:

Come on up to Maryland. Jousting is our state sport (really). Lots of us carry lances on our rides, so look out! Or you can come to the Maryland Renaissance Festival and see some exhibitions. Lots of fun.

Personally I carry the new XM-25 weapon system with just over a 1/2 mile range, these are real effective against the hit and run car...but of course when they see this thing strapped to my back they give me wide berth. It has a 5 round capacity and it only weighs 14.5 pounds loaded, which is great for us weight weenies, but to save weight I only load up it with 2 rounds. And it sure strikes up interesting conversations with the local cops. And you can buy your own for $25,000 plus ammo at $25 each. Or you can get a toy replica, paint it to look like the real thing, and it has the same effect for a lot less money and weight.

cbjesseeNH said:

One of the victims of those fatal shootings (the 70year old male) was killed with his own gun.
How would carrying a gun prevent a drive-by shooting? Unless the victims had their weapons trained on every single passing car,on the remote off-chance that they may be shot...in which case the shooters could legitimately claim self-defence and shoot the victims with impunity.
The other fatality is suspected by police to be drug-related. Do you believe that people in the drug business should be allowed firearms for "self-defence"?
You really are an idiot.

stevebaby said:
One of the victims of those fatal shootings (the 70year old male) was killed with his own gun.
How would carrying a gun prevent a drive-by shooting? Unless the victims had their weapons trained on every single passing car,on the remote off-chance that they may be shot...in which case the shooters could legitimately claim self-defence and shoot the victims with impunity.
The other fatality is suspected by police to be drug-related. Do you believe that people in the drug business should be allowed firearms for "self-defence"?
You really are an idiot.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

stevebaby said:
Do you believe that people in the drug business should be allowed firearms for "self-defence"?
You really are an idiot.
Only an idiot believes drug dealers are waiting to be 'allowed' to carry a gun.

mitosis said:

That article is a crock of sh!t. "Most of Australia's 2100 suicides each year do not involve firearms, making the 200 lives saved as a result of the firearm ban small in relation to the suicide total. But Dr Neill said applying an accepted financial value to each of these human lives resulted in an economic boost of $500 million a year." One crucial number is missing...has the total suicide rate fallen? Suicide by other means appears to be quite acceptable and suicide by gun is abhorrent, thus a reduction of gun suicides magically accounts for the dollars wasted in the gun 'buy-back' confiscation.

Akadat said:
That article is a crock of sh!t. "Most of Australia's 2100 suicides each year do not involve firearms, making the 200 lives saved as a result of the firearm ban small in relation to the suicide total. But Dr Neill said applying an accepted financial value to each of these human lives resulted in an economic boost of $500 million a year." One crucial number is missing...has the total suicide rate fallen? Suicide by other means appears to be quite acceptable and suicide by gun is abhorrent, thus a reduction of gun suicides magically accounts for the dollars wasted in the gun 'buy-back' confiscation.
Dr Neill's study found no evidence of substitution within any state.

''It is simply not the case that there was an increase in non-firearm suicide deaths in states that brought back more firearms,'' she said.

''I am confident these lives were saved.''

Tackdriver56 said:
Prob'ly right, if I were carrying openly, but then some Lib would just run me over, claim she was texting, and get off with a slap on the wrist.

The axe came from a logger, while I was touring solo, self supported. An act of terrorism, against a cyclist he prob'ly thought was a spiking tree-hugger. Stereotyping? Profiling?

Since pistol permits don't have the same reciprocity as driver's licenses, you can't legally take a pistol on a cross country tour, anyway. Depending on your state laws, a few other states may or may not honor your permit. CT does not, so other states don't honor mine.

I only carry in places where my permit is valid. The gun is concealed, and it's only for the perp who clearly threatens my life.
The guy with the axe must have been pretty good with it.
He got you right in the head,didn't he?

Akadat said:
But Dr Neill said applying an accepted financial value to each of these human lives resulted in an economic boost of $500 million a year."

If you believe that people who want to kill themselves provide a net gain to society and the economy by surviving, I have a bridge to sell you.

KD5NRH said:
If you believe that people who want to kill themselves provide a net gain to society and the economy by surviving, I have a bridge to sell you.
I bet you're a Christian.

The quote from Dr Neill provided by Stevebaby is as garbled as it gets, followed by a circumspect statement of authority...[COLOR= #f00]''It is simply not the case that there was an increase in non-firearm suicide deaths in states that brought back more firearms,'' she said. ''I am confident these lives were saved.''[/COLOR] Which states is she referring to? Take your pick and she is 'confident'. The real crunch is total suicides nationwide are up NOW and not [COLOR= #f00]"was"[/COLOR].

Re that bridge for sale...Does it have a water view? How many people jump off it? Maybe it's a bargain!

Reactions: kdelong
Originally Posted by Akadat .

The quote from Dr Neill provided by Stevebaby is as garbled as it gets, followed by a circumspect statement of authority...[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]''It is simply not the case that there was an increase in non-firearm suicide deaths in states that brought back more firearms,'' she said. ''I am confident these lives were saved.''[/COLOR] Which states is she referring to? Take your pick and she is 'confident'. The real crunch is total suicides nationwide are up NOW and not [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"was"[/COLOR].

Re that bridge for sale...Does it have a water view? How many people jump off it? Maybe it's a bargain!
Wrong yet again.Suicide rates are falling.
http://www.responseability.org/site/index.cfm?display=134569#trends

Suicide rates go up and down so this really proves nothing unless they stay this way over a long period of time. Japan has plenty of suicides without firearms. Also who funded this research?
Originally Posted by stevebaby .

Wrong yet again.Suicide rates are falling.
http://www.responseability.org/site/index.cfm?display=134569#trends