How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Consider a gun to be the "additional gear" you need when you can't cycle fast enough to get away :D

kaikane said:
Personally, if I felt the need to carry a gun, I'd rather just cycle faster. :D

Joe West said:
Consider a gun to be the "additional gear" you need when you can't cycle fast enough to get away :D
I'm really flabbergasted that you feel the need. I must live in a little bubble of safety out here in the middle of nowhere.
Really opens my eyes to the variety of conditions we all ride through. :eek:

It's not just me... there is a plethora of pistol packin peddlers propagating around :D

kaikane said:
I'm really flabbergasted that you feel the need. I must live in a little bubble of safety out here in the middle of nowhere.
Really opens my eyes to the variety of conditions we all ride through. :eek:

Routier said:
Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!
different laws, different countries... and Michael Moore is not a documentarian, as his films are slanted to his bias and NOT an impartial view of the issues he presents. That's all I'll say about that :D

cbjesseeNH said:
I won't be trying to convince those who are willing to play the odds while cycling along that someone will not, someday, decide to cause them great bodily harm. :confused:

The nice thing about being paranoid is that you don't have to worry about people using logic and critical thought on you: paranoia prevents you from understanding such things.

Nut jobs. Yup. I think that's the term that fits. Nut jobs. Funny thing is you nut jobs think you have some unique insight into why everyone should feel threatened or should carry a loaded people killer.

I'm all for it iffin' all the nut jobs are willing to operate under a new law which requires that any private citizen whose well meaning shot goes astray and maims or kills an innocent bystander....well, that offending nut job then either gets the death penalty or gets maimed in like....but slightly worse (otherwise what's the point of punishment) fashion.

Of course there are a quite a few of you who already think or think you know that you are quite up to the task of hitting your mark in a life and death situation, so you proud, hubris filled marksmen should have no problem accepting the penalty of death or maiming if you aren't as accurate as you proudly boast.

i hope that u never fall when riding with ur gun, cause maybe that would show u the dangers of this "tool"

Yep - they make it up on the news to incite us nut jobs. Random violence, car-jackings, etc., are just a plot by the liberal media to foment passage of Right to Carry laws in multiple states. Who'd a thunk it? :rolleyes:

I certainly don't want to convince you otherwise. I'll never draw, let alone shoot, as long as there are enough sheep like you to feed the wolves.

Like I said, my message was for those who carry, on how to carry more regularly, securely, under all conditions.

Us nut jobs are all around you. We look pretty normal actually. The rednecks you think are the typical NRA types are enough to distract you from us.

When the SHTF, we will be the ones moving away rapidly while you discuss the finer points of social contracts with those fictitious characters created by the newspapers and evening news. Don't you worry, we ARE just being paranoid - go ahead and take a walk downtown tonight and meet your neighbors.

Like the license plate says here: "Live free or die." I think you've picked already, eh?

(Oh how I do like yanking the chain of an anti-gun nut AND knowing I have a gun and they don't - by choice! They often get so flustered that they start a Walk for Gun Violence movement, or some such event, and then nobody shows up. They still blame it on the gun nuts, somehow.)

Wow, a lot of tension on this thread.

As a LEO, I generally carry most of the time off duty. I do not carry when riding though I frequently think about it. For that, I keep my agency issued can of OC Spray. It is easier to conceal and doesn't rouse the rage of fellow cyclists who can't imagine someone wanting to hurt them.

Carrying can be a burden as well as a privelege.

to coin a phrase, "guns don't kill people; people kill people"... a gun is no less a tool than a spare tube or tire pump in certain environments; nor is it more of a weapon than my bike if I feel the need to beat someone/thing with it to maintain my bodily well being/safety. Think of it this way, givin the option I'd rather use the gun than ruin my bike... and FYI, I am NOT a gun owner, though I do advocate and approve of our 2nd amendment right. :D

I suppose that if you're scared of strangers..or just plain scared, then you will need to carry a gun to feel safe...
As is your right etc.etc

im from savannah ga and it is a very dangerous town, i have bin heldup
at gun point and also know many other people that have... plus in ga you
can carry guns anywhere you want.. and i ride my bike so i dont have to
carry a gun it gets me too and fro faster then walking and i dont know
anyone oh ever got mugged on a bike... but most of all i would rather
give someone 30$ then take their life or hurt them.. just my opinion?

I carry a gun when I ride . . . through the worst parts of Detroit. If you are needing to carry a gun when you ride, ride in a different neighborhood.

it seemes funny how one person who posted earlier made a coment about americans and guns. i dotn know how europe or other countries are but in america (depending on city) u accidently take a wrong turn you can get killed (if wrong race). i live in a nice middle class area and there is a few new street gangs full of 10-15 year old kids that travel in packs of like 10-15 kids and find ppl riding a bikes. they have already clubbed a few adults/kids (i think 10 ppl this month) to the point of gettin knocked out. just to steel a bike.

im 18 so i cant carry a hand gun but a nice large smith&wesson knife might come in handy.

I'd like to apologize to the international readers of this thread. I've not read most of it (too ridiculous), only enough to know that to many folks around the world it must seem barbaric. I'll just mention that many of us in America are globally aware, and are grappling with the reality that America is now often not the cure for the world, but the problem. Truly, most of us here still pin our spirit on hope, just like you. I'm American. I love America. I believe it will take us a bit longer, but we will eventually come around and be the promoter of good we portray ourselves as, and not the evil that much of the world sees in us.

ccurry007 said:
I'd like to apologize to the international readers of this thread. I've not read most of it (too ridiculous), only enough to know that to many folks around the world it must seem barbaric. I'll just mention that many of us in America are globally aware, and are grappling with the reality that America is now often not the cure for the world, but the problem. Truly, most of us here still pin our spirit on hope, just like you. I'm American. I love America. I believe it will take us a bit longer, but we will eventually come around and be the promoter of good we portray ourselves as, and not the evil that much of the world sees in us.

thank you for the first thoughtful post on this thread:)