How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

akamrkent said:
I'm a police officer in Los Angeles County and when I first started riding recreationally (5 years ago) I used to carry my back-up duty weapon (Ti S&W 5-shot revolver). When I became more familiar with my routes and became more competative, I stopped carrying a weapon. It seemed stupid to me to spend 6K on a sub 16lbs bike, only to weigh it down with a weapon (even a hyperlight). I do enjoy weapons. I have 3 handguns and 3 rifles and shoot competitively, but, at the end of the day, I feel that I am fit and aware of my surroundings enough that I can get away from most knuckleheads with my bike. If they can run fast enough to catch me, or if they surprize me, then I deserve to get mugged. It's just motivation to train harder and a reminder not to get complacent.

Wasn't a police captain killed in the LA area recently while riding?

Routier said:
Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!
So yes you carry a weapon in races. No it's not just typical American behavior. Come to Texas and see if you can ride without carrying a gun. And the guy that made Bowling for Columbine sucks.

The Cheetah said:
So yes you carry a weapon in races. No it's not just typical American behavior. Come to Texas and see if you can ride without carrying a gun. And the guy that made Bowling for Columbine sucks.
Are you saying that Texas is as dangerous as the west bank in Israel? Sounds like a place I wouldn't want to visit, let alone cycle there...:rolleyes:

I don't carry a weapon personally, but have been tempted to on occasion. Never really an option here in Australia though as it is highly illegal in all states and quite difficult to get hold of a handgun in the first place. The worst thing out training in Australia is dogs that aren't tied up or on a leash and Magpies (bird) during mating/nesting season. They tend to swoop anything and everything and although they dont very often cause injuries they often clip the helmet and or ears and a bullet would definitely stop me swerving trying to avoid them......and the cars trying to avoid me!

If I was worried bad enough to have to carry a gun on a bike ride I would choose another route or just go to the gym and ride an exercise bike.
My only concern is while riding is getting hit by a vehicle.

G'day,

I carry my AK 47 when i train or race. Don't you try & tell me I shouldn't...I've got a god given right to prptect my family & my trailer against those god damn commies, terrorists, goody two shoes, volvo driving scumbags that wanna take it off me...god damn, you wanna make something of it?...where you at muther?...I'm coming 'round to your tariler & I'm gunna shoot yo' full of holes....Go damn.....now where was I?..Oh yeah...I carry my ak47 & sometimes take my RPG launcher too.....I know they are coming after me!.......gotta protect my family & my trailer, going on springer next week!..."So I married my AK47".......It comes in handy during a race...don't you god damn get in my way...."YO' you come back here mofo...don't you be dropping me on no climbs.....I ain't outta bullets yet.....got more at the next feed stop...plenty of jack daniels in the bidon.......Did you have trouble getting bike racks to fit your hummer?......MOFO government, can you believe they let someone other than an American win bikes races?.......I like Lance, he's from TExas ya know...bet he's got an AK 47 too!

The Cheetah said:

This is a fine example of intellectual American discourse....."and the guy...sucks." Wow.

For those from foreign lands, we, here in America, prefer not to use common sense when dealing with people or animals. We prefer to shoot first and think..well....maybe not even think. Of course, there's no use arguing with us: we're right 'cuz we're Americans. And if that doesn't convince you, then you better remember that we're a bona fide super power. We've got all sorts of weapons, and if you keep up with your anti-'merican stuff, we just might invade you....us and our coalition....Eritrea.....

Did the other yahoo ever point out exactly what all the lies were in "Bowling for Columbine?" Prolly not. Prolly needed to set the tripwire before he went to bed.

The reality of the situation is carrying a gun is a lot like carrying a fire extinguisher in the car, but it's much more of a pain. But like that fire extinguisher, the one time you need it and don't have it you're stuck.

And yes, once you get past the Holly Weird hype, a gun is a only a tool, just like that fire extinguisher.

Amen, SpearSlinger1.

All of my firearms combined have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.

I would rather be tried by 12 men than carried by six.

If you are a hoplophobe, fine. Keeep it to yourself and I won't have a problem. I don't force you to carry, you should not force me to not.

AHH terrorists!!!! Protect your Country by carrying firearms during your leisure activities!! Help win the war on terror! Turn your road bike into a mobile field unit. Your country needs you!

Seriously though, its sad to think that some people cant go out on a leisurely cycle without carrying a live, and potentially lethal firearm. Its a shame to see america becoming so paranoid about homeland security. When i cycle its an opportunity to forget everything and just push myself to my limits, placing all my concentration on each stroke.
I could never feel comfortable carrying a gun on a cycle. But i live in a different cuclture i suppose..

AHH terrorists!!!! Protect your Country by carrying firearms during your leisure activities!! Help win the war on terror! Turn your road bike into a mobile field unit. Your country needs you!

Seriously though, its sad to think that some people cant go out on a leisurely cycle without carrying a live, and potentially lethal firearm. Its a shame to see america becoming so paranoid about homeland security. When i cycle its an opportunity to forget everything and just push myself to my limits, placing all my concentration on each stroke.
I could never feel comfortable carrying a gun on a cycle. But i live in a different cuclture i suppose..

The Cheetah said:
Come to Texas and see if you can ride without carrying a gun.
I rode in Texas for 11 years without one. Ya afraid of crazed armadillos or what??

alienator,

Here's the link to the distortions and lies:

http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/

Now... I'd like to point out something concerning "fine intellectual American discourse"

You take a poke at someone who says "and the guy sucks" Then, at the end of your post, you refer to me as a "yahoo". How appropriate that you raised the issue of intellectual discourse when you yourself appear to be somewhat unable to carry on a discussion without (how shall I say this politely) making it personal?

I said this once, and I'll say it again... if you feel the need to make it personal, please email me at:

[email protected]

I'd be happy to have an offline discussion.

Regards,

Joe West

alienator said:
This is a fine example of intellectual American discourse....."and the guy...sucks." Wow.

For those from foreign lands, we, here in America, prefer not to use common sense when dealing with people or animals. We prefer to shoot first and think..well....maybe not even think. Of course, there's no use arguing with us: we're right 'cuz we're Americans. And if that doesn't convince you, then you better remember that we're a bona fide super power. We've got all sorts of weapons, and if you keep up with your anti-'merican stuff, we just might invade you....us and our coalition....Eritrea.....

Did the other yahoo ever point out exactly what all the lies were in "Bowling for Columbine?" Prolly not. Prolly needed to set the tripwire before he went to bed.

hehe...

A different culture indeed... where in the not too distant past the IRA was placing car bombs?

We all have our crosses to bear... in America, we have two legged predators who would think nothing of taking a life. Perhaps it is all the inbreeding... I don't know... regardless, the good news is that we are empowered by our second amendment to take care of the problem ourselves rather than depend on "officer friendly" to show up and protect us.

Let me paraphrase one of my favorite quotes:

Those willing to sacrifice freedoms for security deserve neither freedom nor security.

JW

Irish Indurain said:

Well put...

Weisse Luft said:
Amen, SpearSlinger1.

If you are a hoplophobe, fine. Keeep it to yourself and I won't have a problem. I don't force you to carry, you should not force me to not.

Well, I honestly don't think Europeans can comment on the carrying of firearms in the U.S. You have no idea what kind of culture (or lack thereof) we have over here in some neighborhoods. There are people (many of them just kids) that would kill you for your tennis shoes over here. The inner city gangs grow larger every day and it's only going to get worse not better. The U.S. has more people in prison/jail per capita than any of the other industrialized countries. It's sad but it's a fact. We need to protect ourselves here. It's not about being like John Wayne or being macho. It's practically a necessity here.

Although I don't carry when I ride, I keep a loaded shotgun by my bed. I bought it when I lived in Atlanta Georgia where the crime and murder rates are disgustingly high. Thank God my job got outsourced to India and I moved to a more sane place! All I need to worry about here are idiot drivers. Talk about a lethal weapon ... a driver behind the wheel of 2500 Lbs of automobile that's not paying attention (or drunk!) ... now that's a lethal weapon!!!

And I know it doesn't make sense, but the places with the strictest gun control laws are the most violent and crime laden places to be. Washington DC has been the murder capitol of the country on and off for years. L.A. is another place I wouldn't get within 100 miles of.

i'll bet tinker wishes he had one on him!

JUNE 24, 2004 -- LONG BEACH, CA (BRAIN)--Out for a road training ride June 9, mountain bike legend Tinker Juarez had stopped to refill his water bottles in a Long Beach park when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Juarez turned to find a man pointing a gun at his face. The gunman demanded--and received--Juarez's Cannondale Six13 road bike and his cell phone.

"I don't think the guy has any idea of what he has," Juarez said. "When he rode off you could see he didn't know how to ride it--he wobbled off with it still in a big gear."

Construction had detoured Juarez from his regular training route along the Los Angeles River bike path.

Yesterday the 2004 24-hour solo mountain bike champion was getting some road miles in on a mountain bike with slick tires.

"He's just been trying to mentally move on. For a while he just couldn't," his mother Rose Juarez said. "He converted his mountain bike to somewhat of a road bike, just trying to make the best of it."

Juarez estimated his bike's retail at $5,800, and said it was "probably traded for a $50 bag of whatever."

i don't carry one. where would i hide it under my spandex??? :D

i don't have a problem w/people carrying one but as a christian i believe that in non-violence. the Bible says that if someone tries to steal your shirt, give him your coat also. so if someone takes my bike do i have to offer him my hrm? lol.

Irish Indurain said:

who said anything about homeland securtity? i don't get worried about terrorists wanting to rob me. i worry about riding through the wrong section of town and someone taking a fancy to my 5200.

cheapie said:
i'll bet tinker wishes he had one on him!

i don't carry one. where would i hide it under my spandex??? :D

i don't have a problem w/people carrying one but as a christian i believe that in non-violence. the Bible says that if someone tries to steal your shirt, give him your coat also. so if someone takes my bike do i have to offer him my hrm? lol.
And what would Tinker have done.Tried to pull his piece and got a brain full of hot lead.....LOL. If someoe just wants yer sheit and has the drop on you why try and be a (dead) hero?

Just to correct the record for those outside the U.S., not all of us here sleep with shotguns or carry pistols when we ride our bikes or drive our cars. Some of us in the U.S. even take the view that having everyone armed is not the solution to gun violence but rather the cause.

It may sound "cool" to brag to people in other countries about how easy it is to have guns here, but the result is of course we have the highest gun murder rate of any "civilized" country.

Lastly, I've never equated the gun-toting mentality with bike riders. Why would anyone that paranoid risk riding a bike on public roads....where an evil driver could easily run you over any day of the week?