How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Welshdude3,

I do a lot of business with two companies in Mentor and yeah, I spent 6 hours yesterday riding around Richfield, Boston, Peninsula, Hinckley, Ghent, Middleburg Heights, Ira, Jaite, Everett, Bath, Brecksville and North Royalton. The Cuyahoga Valley is spectacular this time of the year and my legs were shot to hell on this afternoon's 88° F recovery ride. It was worth the effort though as the countryside out in the burbs was beautiful. Ohio really is a paradise...uh...at least April to September!

Retirement is drawing close and I'm going to rent the house next to JH, in Tenn., and spend my winters riding where it isn't a New Ice Age from December through March!

BTW, you should go back towards the beginning of this thread and read the idiocy posted by Steve, the 'Water Policeman' and Tony Zachary, the ex-NFL playa. Between the two of them they didn't have the brains to pour **** out of a boot with the instructions printed all over the heel.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
In my country we are not not allowed to openly carry guns. If you are licenced then you need to keep it in your car or in the house. I agree that it can be useful if needed, mostly when you encounter wild animals while riding. But we are not encouraged to be carrying our guns.

There is a place where no one has to work. Everyone is provided with everything they need to survive...food...housing...health care...clothing.

And only the police have weapons.

We call these places...prisons.

CAMPYBOB said:
There is a place where no one has to work. Everyone is provided with everything they need to survive...food...housing...health care...clothing.

And only the police have weapons.
Up to this point, it sound like your describing Australia.

CAMPYBOB said:
Welshdude3,

I do a lot of business with two companies in Mentor and yeah, I spent 6 hours yesterday riding around Richfield, Boston, Peninsula, Hinckley, Ghent, Middleburg Heights, Ira, Jaite, Everett, Bath, Brecksville and North Royalton. The Cuyahoga Valley is spectacular this time of the year and my legs were shot to hell on this afternoon's 88° F recovery ride. It was worth the effort though as the countryside out in the burbs was beautiful. Ohio really is a paradise...uh...at least April to September!

Retirement is drawing close and I'm going to rent the house next to JH, in Tenn., and spend my winters riding where it isn't a New Ice Age from December through March!

BTW, you should go back towards the beginning of this thread and read the idiocy posted by Steve, the 'Water Policeman' and Tony Zachary, the ex-NFL playa. Between the two of them they didn't have the brains to pour **** out of a boot with the instructions printed all over the heel.

The house next to me is actually a foreclosure and a very nice house. Nice lake view, wooded lot and a hell of a play room downstairs. Not presently listed but when is was listed they were asking about $550,000. BTW: Oppressive heat here now but looking better by Friday.
As far as retirement , it is drawing closer but I will do something part time. Maybe sell guns and hooch to both sides in the inevitable borders wars of the next decade.

I started to reply to you, JH, when Windoz 10 'upgrade' took over my computer last night. I completed the upgrade on that box, but had to restart due to other software 'upgrading' in response to the Microshit 'upgrade'. Windoz 10...so damned good that we're giving it away. Inspires confidence, doesn't it?

The heat is hot up here, but the humidity has dropped a little, 30 miles yesterday I can tell my legs are still recovering from Sunday's efforts and climbing. Funny, when I was 21 it didn't take this long to start hauling ass again!

A wooded lot? Ugh! I'll have to bring both of my big saws then. Trees belong in a woods. Homes do not! We had one of those, "'No, it wasn't a tornado.", winds up here a couple weeks ago and the number of crushed cars and houses was amazing. One 3-mile stretch of a road I frequently ride had maybe four houses with expensive damage and two completely crushed cars on it.

$550K sounds like a nice neighborhood. Lakes are nice for taking the pontoon boat out on hot summer days and drinking a coke. My wife's cuz and her husband just retired back here from Oklahoma. They bought a distressed house at a gated community resort lake near my farm and dumped a pile of cash into the house and a couple boats. The house is third tier off the lake and the view from their deck at sunset and sunrise is really nice.

Did I ever tell you about one of our high school senior grad parties at which one of my cousins piled up my uncle's fancy ski boat into a peninsula in that lake? Well, it was a dark and foggy night...the hull and motor's lower drive were both toast.

We generally go out the boat every weekend. Just keep it parked at our dock and head down after the daily training. I am a bit off schedule since I fought a kidney stone for a week. The day it hit me I had planned a 20 mile ride but struggled with 10 since my stomach was hurting and around 4 pm I knew why.
Not sure I would wish one of those even on Obama.... nah I guess I would, maybe two.

Ultra-sonic destruction or **** that bad boy out!

Yeah, never had one, but hear the pain is like being repeatedly stabbed.

My in-law's farm is near a large resort and lake. The farm is storage to around 200 boats during the off season and maybe 50 boats during the summer months. Every year they file for titles on the abandoned ones from the previous year(s)...owner no-shows, non-payment of storage, etc.

They sell off the boat and motors. There's even a bunch of molds for fiberglass boat hulls out behind one of the barns...picture a carbon fiber bike frame mold only 4' x 8' x' 20' in size.

I rode 50 miles yesterday afternoon instead of going to a local auction. Up for bid was a kick-ass Prevost bus motor home with only 70k miles on it. It was a huge 45' long diesel pusher rig with custom everything and three air units. It had a four-color custom paint job that was just begging to have "CAMPYBOB" plastered across the stern and it was already set up to tow a toy box stuffed with the Vette, a couple of the Harleys and a few bikes!

I have to call to see what it went for, but I'm guessing somewhere around $200,000-$300,000. I can park that conspicuous bit of consumption on any lake I want and when I get bored of the roads there...drive on to the next lake. Or mountain. Or anywhere I don't want to be bothered with a jacket or arm warmers.

I local gazillionaire went to Sturgis. His Prevost set him back 1.2 mirrion dollahs and the enclosed trailer he pulled behind it carried six Harley's and a machine shop. THAT's living large!

I would never carry any gun or have any gun. Anywhere outside of my house. It seems very strange to carry a gun and I believe that it is not the right thing to carry a gun because it scares people. Even if they didn't see it at first. I hate guns personally and I would try and keep it in the house somewhere safe for protection but that's all. Just leave it at home and have fun riding.

While it may be a good idea theoretically, I just see it causing more problems than it solves. First off, anyone that sees it will probably call the police out of fear that you will just stop and shoot them (I know you have no intention.) Secondly, it weighs you down while biking, it's not necessarily lightweight. Thirdly, there are much less "scary" types of self defense like pocket knifes and pepper spray.

"I just see it causing more problems than it solves."

I see it keeping me alive.

"First off, anyone that sees it will probably call the police out of fear that you will just stop and shoot them (I know you have no intention.)"

Concealed means...concealed.

"Secondly, it weighs you down while biking, it's not necessarily lightweight."

Google: Loaded weight of Ruger LCP
Then let me know what you weigh and what your Pro Tour class road bike weighs.

"Thirdly, there are much less "scary" types of self defense like pocket knifes and pepper spray."

I'm not interested in scaring criminals. Neither am I interested in taking a knife to a gun fight. Pepper spray just pisses people off.

We fight to win and there are no rules when it comes to a fight to stay alive. Carry a firearm. That is what is used for self defense against two-legged predators.

This is my bike, just parked outside. :ph34r:

home-guard-bicycle.jpg

Opinel Mora knives sell well here, but Google CRKT. They make some excellent values in edged weapons.

CAMPYBOB said:
Welshdude3,

Most of my cycling was done in Lake County early on. Next time you're in Mentor there's a ride I'll recommend. From anywhere on Rt 306 go north to Rt 283. Straight across 283 306 becomes Reynolds Rd. Stay straight on Reynolds until it makes a 90 degree right turn becoming Salida Rd at that point. Salida runs along the lake coast. Take it until it Ts at 283/Lakeshore Blvd. Left onto 283. To stop sign. Right continuing on 283 into Grand River. At stop sign make a right. After 1-2 miles cross a set of tracks. Take the next left into Fairport. Follow High St. It ends at the public beach entrance. On the left is on of the last functioning lighthouses in the country. Really flat terrain. About a 30-40 mile RT ride. Great recovery ride. Enjoy.