How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe West, Oct 2, 2004.

1. jrjimenez1

jrjimenez1 New Member

There's nothing wrong with carrying a weapon. The post where the individual seemed shocked is silly and that's the type of personality that is most likely to be seen as a victim by a predatory individual. I don't carry a pistol but I often have a knife, pepper spray, and a bright light for dark conditions. The most important thing whether you carry or not is your awarness. Most people who are victimized are caught unaware and a lot of situations can be avoided if you're aware or your surroundngs and can read people as a possible threat or not. I remember a few years ago where I live in Northern Cali some mountain bikers were being robbed of their bikes as they climbed to the top of a mountain, alone, exhausted,and unable to defend themselves.

Stay safe!

2. EoinC

EoinC New Member

It's not silly for a poster to be shocked at people feeling that it is necessary to be armed when cycling when said poster lives in a place that does not appear to have the large quantity of predators that you seem to have.

3. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

Indeed I shall.

I topped up the fuel canister on my flamethrower today, and re-mounted it on my aerobars.

I also have one of my bottles full of hydrochloric acid just in case the bastard surivives the cataract of fire gouting forth from my cockpit.

If all this fails, I rely upon Remy and Broussard, my 2 French Canadian assassins, trailing me in an unmarked Citroen. They know a variety of puns, pathos and parody which usually leaves an assailant immobile and dumb, long enough for me to bring my deadly hands within the kill-zone.

Yours,

Wyland Schreemo III

4. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

have you been accosted at the top of the hill too, then?

if that is the citroen i think it is, it is not totally unmarked, as i spied a landshark sticker on it...

5. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

First Australia bans guns, ok tell me why did your government outlaw swords next ???

6. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

Hey Pal....I'd rather be caught with one than without one ??

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2323/akgroup0xh.jpg

The Right to keep and bear arms is a true measure of Freedom.

7. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Very nice collection!! I'm not a true AK-47 fanatic, and don't know much about them myself. Are most of those from different countries of manufacture?

8. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

Yup, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, 2 others were complete here in the States.

9. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Very nice!!! I'm partial to 1911's myself, but can't afford to collect at this time. Currently use a Kimber Custom II TLE with carbon grips and meprolight sights, and of course Wilson 8rd mags. About a 3.5lb trigger job, perfect for competition--not too light, not too heavy.

10. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

because too many idiots were going to nightclubs armed with swords or machetes just to chop someone up. If they don't use swords then you don't need a gun for 'self defense'. The alternative is for every citizen to be armed to the teeth in a 'community arms race' of mutually assured destruction.

11. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

So when people come into nightclubs assaulting people with broken bottles is your Government going to outlaw glass ? The bad guys will always have the weapon of their choice reguardless of the law.
    Here is the stats, number one gun crime area of the United States is Washington DC where it is illegal for any citizen to own any firearm period. The 2nd amendment doesn't apply to DC because it is not a state. Any state that has permited its citizens to carry a concealed weapon , crime goes down not up. In a survey of street criminals, when asked what they feared most the overal all response was, "We're not afraid of the police, the Government or firearms law, but the armed citizen who could be anyone around us".
    So if you are in Nebraska and your and your homeboys want to put a beating on me for slowing you down in traffic while I am alone and on my bicycle, beware.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4808/dawnofdeadshotgun6sg

12. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

what, you mean that you would kill them for that! I must be very stupid or have testicular atrophy because I'd just ride away:-(

13. OnForm

OnForm New Member

Do you know why thats a bad argument?? Because the rest of America surrounding Washington has access to guns so the truth is that if guns were illegal there or not you'd probably still find it had the highest rate of gun crime just because it does. The fact is that because America has such a "gun" culture making it illegal in a certain area won't do anything at all, nor offer you with any decent evidence to support statements like yours. It means nothing.

Yeah the truth is you do all need guns because you've managed to create a culture where thats the case.

Why do americans think their way is the right way when if they just looked at their own country they'd see how wrong they were.

14. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

You can outride a car?

You don't don't get it......
    scenario A: get beat to death
    scenario B: defend your self or defuse situation

I choose B

15. C-4

C-4 New Member

When I was in high school, we watched several movies about the Nazis. One scene showed about 30 Belgian civilians shot dead by retreating Waffen SS soldiers who had heard that Americans with guns were coming. Several of the women and one girl, who looked no more than 8 or 9, were raped before being shot in the head. Rigor mortis had set in and their legs were left spread indecently wide. The military photographers had lowered their clothing to cover their privates before filming began. It left quite an impression.

Maybe you don't believe in being prepared to defend yourself or your girlfriend. Your country wasn't prepared in WWII and you aren't prepared now, so not much has changed.

"Bowling for Columbine"?? That's your source for information about guns in America. You're even more pathetic than I thought.

16. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Who told you that?

Do you really feel free if you feel the need to carry a device for killing when you go for a ride on your bike?

Seems like your quote is more accurately:

"Feeling the need to bear arms is a true measure of insecurity." :p

17. C-4

C-4 New Member

Last time I checked Australians cannot carry concealed handguns. I can legally carry a handgun if I choose to do so. Yet somehow you think you have more freedom than I do. Try again.:)

18. Upstroke

Upstroke New Member

That is a true statement at times. There are times when I wish I was was not in certain Neighborhoods, But catastrophy can happen at inopertune times in what seems like the safest of places. Do I feel the need to carry, not yet. The differance is that I have the choice.

19. j__z

j__z New Member

Actually making things illegal (alcohol, 1920 prohibition) in the first place was what led to huge development in organized crime in the US. Same with the illicit drug trade, which is where most of the 'gun' violence is concentrated. If firearm ownership causes crime, then middle aged, white, males should be the ones who are most routinely incarcerated due that fact that they are the group with the highest rate of gun ownership in the States. But that's not the case.

If your going to compare countries you need to compare all industrialized countries. Mexico, for instance, has a very big prohibition regarding firearms. Heck, you can get locked up for possesion of ammunition. However, there murder rate is out of control. On the other hand virtually every house in Switzerland has a machine gun, but their murder rate with firearms is virtually non-existent.

Before the Port Author shooting America and Aussie had fairly similiar laws regarding firearm ownership, but the US murder rate as a whole was 3 time as high.

In 1994 Aussie had a murder rate of 1.86 per 100,000
    In 1993 US had a murder rate of 5.7 per 100,000

My point is, it has nothing to do with the 'gun culture'. It has more to do with the societal cultures as a whole.

Speaking in relation to the states: Regardless, this debate will continue on well into the next century. Because, quite frankly, there is so much misinformation on both sides of the debate regarding firearms and the 2nd Amendment, its hard to nail down the truth. However, being somewhat a student of history, if your interested in the orignal intent I suggest you check out the Federalist Paper specifically Alexander Hamilton view.

But I digress.

Nah, I don't think its about insecurity at all. I think is more about being prepared. I use to mountain bike on some pretty desolate trails. I'd carry a handheld GPS unit (I suck with directions), tire changing tools/tubes, cell phone, small hex wrench set, and a firearm. The firearm was mainly for wild dogs or other critters that might want to see if I tasted like chicken. Only had one instance where they're were some shady people out on a trail.

20. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

I must be imagining things or else you are trying to tell me that carrying a concealed handgun is a freedom!!!! That logic would make Iraq or Israel (where people seem free to carry concealed explosives) the most free places on earth!
    Surely a society that protects a citizen's rights to travel safely without the need to be armed, and certainly to recreate on a bicycle without carrying a gun is desirable. I'd happily trade my 'individual freedom' to be murdered for the obligation for society to offer me that protection.