How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Actually, in a discussion with our local police recently about several instances of car/bike problems, the cop who is designated our cycling rep stated that he had heard "many cyclists carry". We took a poll of our club, and the answer was none. Even though several members have carry permits, and many more own handguns and hunting rifles, and participate in shooting sports, none think it necessary or prudent to arm themselves with a weapon when going for a bike ride. This includes our overnight camping trips to North Carolina mountains in bear country.

Just thought I'd offer another data point here from other US cyclists.

dhk said:
Actually, in a discussion with our local police recently about several instances of car/bike problems, the cop who is designated our cycling rep stated that he had heard "many cyclists carry". We took a poll of our club, and the answer was none. Even though several members have carry permits, and many more own handguns and hunting rifles, and participate in shooting sports, none think it necessary or prudent to arm themselves with a weapon when going for a bike ride. This includes our overnight camping trips to North Carolina mountains in bear country.

Just thought I'd offer another data point here from other US cyclists.

Reassuring. :)

C-4 said:
So you admit that a Socialized health care system costs more but don't see that as a bad thing. Why would someone choose to pay more taxes but receive less in return than with a private insurance company?
Don't have the statistics handy, but, from a Canadian perspective, we most emphatically do not pay higher taxes than Americans do due to having socialized medicine. In the US you pay more per capita for just your post-retirement socialized medical plan (Medicaid, I think it's called?) than we do for every citizen of the country. Pretty amazing, when you think of it, and I don't know why that is. Americans might guffaw about some of the wait times in Canada for certain procedures, a problem which certainly needs to be addressed, but overall we're a healthier bunch without a snarling underclass mired in poverty and no access to regular health care. We don't have the 45 year-old who has a heart attack, goes bankrupt and puts his family on welfare because our anecdotal 45 year-old has always had a family doctor, and that family doctor noticed potential cardiac issues beginning at the age of 35 and set him straight. It's frightening how many bankruptcies occur in the U.S. due to medical problems, the vast majority preventable just by having access to an elusive and expensive GP.

(Aside: yes, you may Google a link to GP shortages in certain parts of Canada, which is another issue which needs to be addressed, but this has nothing to do with being for or against socialized medicine).

Not having socialized medicine is simply uncivilized in this day and age, no if's and's or but's about it.

C-4 said:
The U.S. bears the financial burden of developing drugs and technology used by the rest of the world. This is one way Socialized health care systems delay their collapse.
Whoa, ugly, ignorant American alert, aisle seven! Many drugs are developed in the U.S., but they're also developed all over the rest of the world, especially Europe.

But more importantly, I'm confounded by this confused vitriol about developing drugs and socialized medicine. What's the connection? How exactly does paying taxes for universal healthcare have whip-dee-doodle to do with private companies developing drugs?

Upstroke said:
The United States is a complicated place. Our Constitution and The Bill of Rights have shaped thisCountry into what it is today.
They must of got something wrong then somewhere?!?!:confused::p Joking.

Nah, it seems that only the fairly educated people have bothered to follow this thread throughout all 46 or so pages so the arguments are fairly well thought out.
Some good arguments from everybody (although all are slightly ignorant about certain points because no one can understand everything) but this is never actually going to get to a conclusion because what are we still arguing about? Originally it was "crazy gun tooting" people with internet connections saying that if you didn't own a gun you were weak and at mercy to the rest of the world and...the rest of the world responded (lol) pointing out the complete inaccuracies of such a statement. Basically we've all come to the conclusion that everywhere is slightly "challenged" to some degree (the New Zealanders can't speak properly, the Australians just sit down in the middle of the ocean oblivious to the worlds troubles, and Americans seem to want to shoot and blow things up [got to love stereotypes, lol]) and that there are vast differences between all cultures and societies, which is what we all knew anyway. :D Hooray, well its been very entertaining anyhow. Another weekend coming up. Maybe see you out on the trails OzPete and if we see a snake we'll have to give Porky a call, he managed with a broom.

To be honest all the Australians on here are just jealous that Americans can get bikes and bike parts at less than 50% what we can get them over here.:mad:

OnForm said:

Nah, it seems that only the fairly educated people have bothered to follow this thread throughout all 46 or so pages so the arguments are fairly well thought out.
Some good arguments from everybody (although all are slightly ignorant about certain points because no one can understand everything) but this is never actually going to get to a conclusion because what are we still arguing about? Originally it was "crazy gun tooting" people with internet connections saying that if you didn't own a gun you were weak and at mercy to the rest of the world and...the rest of the world responded (lol) pointing out the complete inaccuracies of such a statement. Basically we've all come to the conclusion that everywhere is slightly "challenged" to some degree (the New Zealanders can't speak properly, the Australians just sit down in the middle of the ocean oblivious to the worlds troubles, and Americans seem to want to shoot and blow things up [got to love stereotypes, lol]) and that there are vast differences between all cultures and societies, which is what we all knew anyway. :D Hooray, well its been very entertaining anyhow. Another weekend coming up. Maybe see you out on the trails OzPete and if we see a snake we'll have to give Porky a call, he managed with a broom.

To be honest all the Australians on here are just jealous that Americans can get bikes and bike parts at less than 50% what we can get them over here.:mad:

OnForm - I'll be out at Daisy on Saturday morning. Bring it on. :D

OnForm said:

Why is that ??

I'm sure most following this thread realize that "C-4" is the designation of military plastic explosive. C-4 is a wonderful favorite of terrorists world-wide, since it's easily shaped and hidden, fairly stable and extremely powerful. Would suggest that anyone that adopts that kind of screename is just a bit out of the mainstream.

My great state, Alabama, recently made headlines for having the highest % of guns in households which are kept loaded and unlocked....7.2% of all households in the state. Any wonder we have more kids die here in our state every year from accidental shootings that most countries have total gun homicides?

In 30 years of road riding, I've only been shot at one time, and carrying a gun wouldn't have helped me one bit. In fact, here in the south, pulling a handgun on a good old boy who's just stopped and gotten out of his pickup truck to harass you would be the last thing you'd ever want to do. People advising this need to understand who they are confronting, and think potential scenarios though just a bit.

It is unfortunate that so many people in Alabama keep their weapons unlocked when children may have access... but that isn't the fault of the gun... it is simply ignorance or poor (or no) weapons training.

There is a right time and a wrong time to draw a weapon... and each state determines what "right" and "wrong" are, and even then the boundaries are not clear. The BEST thing to do is simply to try not to get into a dangerous situation by being aware. Being aware of your surroundings and having a good "sense" of danger is the best way to survive.

Joe

dhk said:
IMy great state, Alabama, recently made headlines for having the highest % of guns in households which are kept loaded and unlocked....7.2% of all households in the state. Any wonder we have more kids die here in our state every year from accidental shootings that most countries have total gun homicides?

In 30 years of road riding, I've only been shot at one time, and carrying a gun wouldn't have helped me one bit. In fact, here in the south, pulling a handgun on a good old boy who's just stopped and gotten out of his pickup truck to harass you would be the last thing you'd ever want to do. People advising this need to understand who they are confronting, and think potential scenarios though just a bit.

Routier said:
Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!
What world do you live in?? Do you realize your idiotic attitude can only be backed up with a gun, aka OUR MILITARY! Otherwise you are somebody else's lamp shade! Our peaceful lives are kept peacful through violence you !@##

Excuse the bluntness, but STUPID YANKS carrying STUPID GUNS. Are you insecure or something?

Enough said. Here in Australia, we have very tight gun laws and hence few very gun related deaths.

roadbikeman said:
Excuse the bluntness, but STUPID YANKS carrying STUPID GUNS. Are you insecure or something?

Enough said. Here in Australia, we have very tight gun laws and hence few very gun related deaths.
Well that's great. In case you haven't noticed " This isn't Kansas anymore Dorothy". The world has changed. Yes parts of America are a violent place.
Socio-economic and World events have changed things. Our highest crime areas happen to be the ones with the harshest gun laws. Unarmed people are victums waiting to happen when in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Intel has has uncovered that Australia as well as America are on the target list for Muslim terrorists. When something happens, a nuke goes off, civil unrest, gasoline goes dry, electricity goes off,your neighbors turn desperate to survive, the people who have planned ahead with necessities like food and weapons will survive. Aren't Ostriches from Australia ?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3267/dawnofdeadshotgun.gifhttp://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3267/dawnofdeadshotgun.gif

It is a good thing that you have tight gun laws in Australia; I'm sure your government will take good care of you... you can depend on it.

Oh.

Wait.

You don't have a choice... do you?

I guess since your government has the guns and you don't...

I'll take freedom over government control any day.

Joe

roadbikeman said:

Just one of the many freedoms that make this country great.
Routier said:
Are you sick? What attitude is that? You also wear a gun while going to the theatre with your girl?
Well I guess it's just typical american behaviour. I saw that movie once "Bowling for Columbine". You should watch that, it gives you a whole other look on the carrying of weapons.
Answer to you question: No I don't carry a weapon on training!

Here Here!

Funny thing is... not only do I carry a concealed weapon into a theater with my girl... but my GIRL carries a concealed weapon into the theater.

You know what they say... the family that shoots together, stays together :)

Joe

bucfan471 said:
Just one of the many freedoms that make this country great.

ME TOO!!!!!!
Joe West said:
It is a good thing that you have tight gun laws in Australia; I'm sure your government will take good care of you... you can depend on it.

Oh.

Wait.

Joe

No Guns = more crime. Examples UK, Washington D.C.
Joe West said:

Oh.

Wait.

Joe

Joe West said:

Oh.

Wait.

Joe

I hate to disillusion you, mate, but carrying a gun doesn't make you free. :rolleyes:

Indeed you are correct...

The right to keep and bear arms doesn't make me free; it simply allows me to secure my freedom should I ever need to.

Joe

mitosis said:
I hate to disillusion you, mate, but carrying a gun doesn't make you free. :rolleyes: