How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe West, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

actually, the urban areas that are low income, predominately mexican-american are potentialy far safer than the well-to do areas of where i grew up, esp. when it comes to cyclist safety in terms of car/driver vs. cyclist related altercations.

as for me, i do carry spray (mace and or pepper) and a fiberglass dagger, the latter for picking debris out of the tires, of course.

"don't make me get of this lotus blossom and come kick your ass"
    -bhudda, on the verge of road rage

2. wolfix

wolfix New Member

The only cycling related shooting I have ever heard of was in the more rural areas of Nor California. But that is probably because of the high number of cyclists and people. I think Greg Lemond was shot at while training in the Tahoe area many years ago ...... And I think the shootings that I have heard of were situations where "rednecks" took a shot at someone with the intention of not hitting them . Not that it makes it any easier for the cyclists being shot at. Well, it might make the cyclists develope a spin like he has never had before.
    Wasn't there a female cyclist shot last year in the stomach while she was waiting at a stop sign?
    The biggest danger a cyclist has in this country besides the obvious SUV is the dog. We all have had those experiances. If someone did ride in an area that he felt threatened , I would think Mace would be an ideal protectant. I know it is used[ or carried} by females in my area when riding through greenbelt bike trails. I can understand why females would feel a little nervous in those situations.

3. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

mace requires a permit, can be had by attending a certification class in ca., but pepper spray has been proven more effective, it works without a doubt.
    i carry also m.a.c.e. brand pepper spray/mace 50-50 mix, the mace is really only for long term disorientation, the pepper spray debilitates. just be sure to only get the spray variety and not the foggers, which, for the most part do not have the range adequate for on-bike use.

the postal carriers use HALT brand pepper spray, and it is avble mail order cheaply. i have only used this stuff on dogs, and only as a last gasp measure, as i love animals, but after having my carnacs polished by a rotweiller at 30 just wanted to be more prepared. i'd much rather out run 'em.

now, about that ti-framed airweight iv'e condsidered, or maybe a .22 mag snub...shouldn't be necessary unless i respond to provocation in an innapropriate manner.

keep your cool out there...chances are no one wants to come to blows with someone fit enough to be out on the road.

4. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I doubt if it's Mace then. Probably pepper spray. I never have really gave any thought what it was, and I did not think Mace was an item where a permit was needed. Interesting . I too love dogs. But .........

I would think if a person rides where he feels threatened enought to carry a gun, he would seek out a different route. I used to be a gun owner of the "hunter kind," not the "self protection" kind, and I just do not see a good link of guns and bikes.

5. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

statisticaly, the use of guns as a means of successful self defense is myth.

the best unprovoked altercation preventative is not going out alone, unless your group resembles a critical mass ride, not that there is anything wrong with that...

6. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

I like to keep a little machine gun on my handlebars in case I come across an American on my ride. The most annoying thing is that the bullet cost a bloody fortune so you cant just shoot every slack jawed yank you come across.

7. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Dont't forget to stuff some C4 down the seat tube, you just never know when it'll come in handy:rolleyes:

Gosh, I just feel so 'free':rolleyes:

8. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

No I don't carry while I ride. I find that a bit too Chuck Bronson, even though I do own a gun. But if someone wishes to carry it is their right as decreed by law. At least it is here. I know women that carry concealed when they go shopping! Their friggin scared. If I were a female I'd carry too. No questions about it.

I woudn't see a point to it either. If find some other form of recreation, such as kung fu or target shooting.

Soul searching is great but it doesn't solve problems. It sounds all touchy feely and everything but in the end it doesn't get the job done. Nor does it make a person safe.

I have no control over what happens in this country. I can only control my own actions. This is true of the vast majority of people. The only solution is to keep moving further and further away from the places where the majority of violence exist, which is what people have already been doing for decades as I previously explained. Normal every day poeple are powerless to affect the changes necessary.

The best solution we have so far is to eradicate the people who are guilty of commiting many of these heinous crimes. However, when Tookie Willaims was put to death most other countries thought that was a crime against all humanity. We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't. Frankly, I think Taiwan has a good idea with caning the idiots who are effing up. Wish we had that here. It would certainly stop a lot of behavioral problems.

Now if someone can figure out why so many of our young people are joining gangs and becoming so violent at such an early age, then you need to let the world know because as far as I know it's being kept a secret.

Note: I say young people because statistically that's who's commiting many of the crimes that are making our society more violent. 60 year old codgers aren't really too involved with brutal attacks, rapes and robbery.

9. tomalek

tomalek New Member

I carry the Seecamp .32 when cycling, but it's a little underpowered. I just got a Kahr PM9, which will give me 9mm power in a 380-sized gun.

Bike the roads around Detroit long enough, and you'll start carrying a gun too. It's sometimes hard to outrun a nutcase in an SUV, even with my Colnago.

10. achtervolger

achtervolger New Member

Wow, interesting. I've always assumed most drivers agressive enough to cause nonsense assume us all to be skinny little bike weenies. They sure seem to act like it.

11. Shades

Shades New Member

I've just scratched America off my list of places to tour.

My god what was I thinking..close one.

12. dhk

dhk New Member

Last year a member of our club got pretty agressively involved with a motorist here in town. The incident raised some concerns with our local police, who were told that "many cyclists carry guns". In response, we took a survey of the club, to find that out of 100 or so riders, no one carried a handgun on their bikes.

Naturally there are handgun owners in the club. Several members have concealed-carry permits (easy to get here in Alabama), and one is a state champion handgun target shooter. Those I have talked with basically say it's not worth it to carry a handgun on the bike, even on our cycle/camping trips during bear season. According to them, the burden of carrying and securing the weapon properly simply outweighs the potential benefits.

About 30 years ago, in another state, a passenger in a passing car fired a small pistol at me, possibly a blank starter pistol. The car sped past on the highway, and I never saw it again. Had I been armed then, it would have made absolutely no difference in the outcome. In all the miles ridden on rural and city roads since, that's the only time I've seen any weapon displayed.

As road cyclists, regardless of the country we live in, we are all much more at risk from vehicles. After all, any passing motorist who wants to scare, injure or kill a cyclist has an effective weapon ready at his disposal. Plus, if he uses his vehicle in the assault, he's got a much better chance of going unpunished.

13. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

none of these countries are violent enough where you have to carry a gun to protect yourself, i have lived in all three.

gun crime happens in every country...the best way to stamp it out is to make carrying a gun ilegal if you are a civilian.

14. 6fhscjess

6fhscjess Member

Inanimate objects do not cause crime,People and only people are capaple of causing crime. If Innocent people are assaulted, raped and murdered in every country and they certainly are than they should not have to suffer this injustice so tell me Mountain Pro you have none of these crimes over there? I doubt it very much. You did not read the quote I put in by The Author John Ross when someone says we would be better off without guns and it does not appear you read all of what I wrote in my first post so please go back and read the whole thing. Disarming the law abiding only makes life easier for the criminal. Sorry but I don't want to make anything easy for a criminal. If you do thats your choice don't make it mine.

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Thanks dhk, I am reassured.

Unfortunately those who want to carry weapons or who want the right to carry weapons are the very ones who should never have access to them.

Smooth riding. :)

16. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Heard that argument. Pile of crap. If you don't carry a gun, noone can get shot.

17. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

Glasgow has problems with crime syndicates, drug gangs, prostution, people traffiking, violence....like most cites..

you made it sound like everyone would be safer if they carried a gun...this isnt the case in Glasgow nor England or the Philippines.

if everyone carried a gun we would get de-sensitised to their use...i personally dont carry a gun, i dont want to and dont need to..

a gun is not a means of defence in my opinion. It is a weapon designed to kill and maim and nothing else. It is an implement of war and shouldnt be on the streets and certainly not carried by cyclists.

i know there is the arguement that a gun if brandished may deter an attacker and may save your life but i think if we can get the guns out of the hands of the criminals, it would be a whole lot safer....this is only done by an outright band and tougher legislation.

a gun should only be used as self defence when all else fails, as a last resort. We are so quick to use that last resort and not tackle the root causes that may prevent the attack in the first instance.

now, i have been to LA, a tough city with an incurable gun culture, i have friends who have been car-jacked on the streets there. All i am saying is that where i live, we dont need guns. If you lived here it would be plainly evident.

18. 6fhscjess

6fhscjess Member

Mountain Pro it appears that you still have not read my original post. It is on page 48. I spent almost 8 months in Dunoon Scotland and loved it but even back then which was in the 70's Glasgow had a reputation of being a tough place. As far as crime in the UK goes it is my understanding from reading papers on line and other information that violent crime has gone up since strict gun bans have been put in place while violent crime against individuals has gone down in the 38 states that allow concealed carry in the US. The estimates range from a low of approximately 750,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year the large majority of them never even having to fire a shot.
    It only makes sense if your a criminal you don't want to get shot so you pick on those who are less likely to defend themselves.In reading some of the posts on here it appears that some people consider a criminals life more valuable than their own or their loved ones I for one do not. My life and the life of my loved ones and their well being is more important. Criminals intentionally disregard others rights and deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions other wise they will continue to prey on others. The consequenses can be imprisonment or civic duty or death depending on their actions.
    Actually guns are also used for many types of sporting events not just killing. Bombs are designed to kill and maim and as the Author John Ross says the gas chamber and electric chair are designed to kill. Guns are used for sport, hunting, self defense and sometimes to settle conflicts which can lead to injury or death. How ironic it is that an item designed for transportation the automobile kills more people than an item you say is used only to kill and maim. One of the sayings we have is Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns and that is true since mine have never killed anyone in fact they have never killed anything. Again as I said before people and only people are responsible for crime not inanimate objects. A gun is the most effective means of self defense. LA is full of criminals because there are strict gun laws there that make it easier for them to get away with commiting crimes. Only the police and the elite with their body guards have much protection. No ban has ever stopped criminals from acquiring what they need to commit their crimes in fact usually if not always bans have caused crime to increase. Please go back and read my original post on page 48.

19. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i think we both have a point...

anyway, Dunoon? A Navy man are you?

a very scenic location with some of the best forestry commission trails in the UK, if you are into mtb. Where are you stationed now?

20. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Why is the us such a violent place,that people feel the "need" to carry weapons?
    Are you more criminal than the rest of the world?
    "Inanimate objects don't cause crime...people do."I suppose you would have no disagreement with countries like Iran having nuclear weapons.Actually,using that sort of "logic",you could have no objection to anyone having nuclear weapons.
    Really,if you need to carry a weapon then your way of life has failed.Don't you ever wonder why so many people don't want any part of the american way of life?