How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

POGATA said:
You think that's dangerous we have the little Johnny Howard in Australia. He's a demented jogger who goes around making everyone's life a misery.

The sight of him jogging around the north shore in his Australian tracksuit would be enough to make anyone want to take up arms.

Oh and by the by his wife buys the staff Xmas presents at the $2 shop in Chattswood, now that's class.

POGATA said:
I live in Europe, and none of the vehicles that have tried to run me off of the road have been plastered with nra stickers.
I live in Ireland and most of the vehicles that have tried to run me off of the road have been plastered with BMW stickers.[/

You know the one about what's the difference between a BMW & a hedgehog?

ritcho said:
Nice thread... makes you think. We're not allowed to carry guns around here (Australia) and I doubt that many people feel like they need to. But this isn't the US, which has loads of people that are allowed to carry and many people do feel the need (or at least want).

I'd welcome you to come and ride over here sometime, but you'll have to leave the weapon at home.

Ritch.

PS. It isn't the 2nd amendment that makes America great, it's the 1st.
Living in Australia

I would hate to live in America too the way you guys are describing it......They have people carrying guns on bike, big machine gun shoots, and trucks with NRA stickers running over people.........

Wait...... Wait....... I do live in America. I have rode my bikes for over 35 years and have never seen a gun on a fellow cyclist or have had my life threatened...... And yes, we have a few people who like machine guns..... Every community has one of those guys. Around here we just avoid those guys........ NRA sticker???? Now, I live in the middle of NRA country. Today when I go to work later, I will count the NRA bumper stickers.... "If" I see any.
99% of the time people claim they almost got run over by a gun toting NRA big pick-up , it never happened....... Never....... I have over 100,000 miles in my legs around here over many years, and have rode the open road in NRA country, and not once has it ever happened to me......
Didn't John Wayne* give America a bad enough reputation without continuing the false stereotype.....??????

artemidorus said:
Will you Aussies stop taking the ****?? :) This is serious, dudes.

Actually, I'd like to add to the majority of non-American voices that appear absolutely staggered, and somewhat appalled, by this whole thread-

I'm staggered, and somewhat appalled!
I`m not american, and I`m not staggered, and somewhat appalled.

Fat Hack said:
Sorry, but "you guys" have gotta do better than this.

Why were guns invented in the first place?

If it's all about the man and not the weapon, then why aren't wars still fought using spears and arrows?

Why were machine guns used in most wars sine 1945 instead of Bic pens and boxcutters?

Because guns are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more effective as killing tools!!!

Would you rather confront a lunatic who has an AK47 or a Bic pen?

How much damage could those psychos in Columbine have done with Bic pens and boxcutters?

***********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naive?

Fat Hack said:
Are you serious?!?!?!?!?!?

A pair of boxcutters brought down The World Trade Center?!?!?!??

Oh, I thought it was a pair of 50 billion trillion gazillion tonne jets, carrying 5656565000000000000000000000 gallons of fuel.

The boxcutters were used to over-power three or four people who were trained to hand over a jet to hijackers at the drop of a hat, or Bic pen.

It's like saying that if someone used a pair of boxcutters to steel an atomic bomb off two guys in a truck, set off the bomb in the middle of Manhattan, killing 10 milion people, that the boxcutters killed 10 million people.

Once again, ***********
Why?

iameviljez said:
Perhaps the most damming argument to the progun lobby is that the statistics overwhelmingly show that this whole, wacky, potsmoking no-gun thing WORKS. People don't get shot where we live dammit!
Where I live it`s illegal to carry weapons, but people still kill other people using illegal weapons!

Fat Hack said:
I'd still rather the whackos trying to make bombs with fertilizer than running around with automatic assault riffles, or whatever you call them. The whackos have less chance of constructing a fully functioning weapon of serious destruction if they are trying to put a bomb together. I'm sure plenty of them would blow themselves up along the way. The McVeigh incident is not a regularly occuring scenario, is it? With a gun, you're buying the "bomb" ready to go. And please don't give me the "most wacko mass murderers have a 220 IQ" -- it's a generalization.

Look, I'm not in the USA, so there goes half the weight of anything I have to say on this topic, I hear you say.

I'm not an intellectual, I don't have great debating skills, and I'm not a "full book" on this issue, so I'm not equiped to have a long running argument, I was just very surprised to here anyone still trying the "people kill people, not guns" argument -- I thought that this was dead and buried. People do kill people, but if these people can only get hold of a boxcutter, they will not be able to do as much damage. Like I said in an earlier post, if it's the man and not the weapon, why don't we still fight wars with bows and arrows? These weapons continue to progress because they are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more effective at killing.

Frankly, I think it's too late for the USA; there's just too many guns, so any talk of gun control is pretty much pointless. So, there's no hope.
How the hell can anyone expect to control the movment of 80 million guns?
Naive?

POGATA said:
I`m not american, and I`m not staggered, and somewhat appalled.
I'm a single cell orgasnism from from the galaxy first on the left past Aloria & i'm unwashed & somewhat slightly dazed.

OneRing said:
John, John , John,

Hw was joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You woutdn't be american by any chance with that razor sharp grip of satire.
John,

You're Canadian? You should have got the joke.

In Iceland we have the terrible mamoth eating killer icecubes. We need to pack lots of Gin & Tonic for those suckers.

ScienceIsCool said:
I'm at a loss. In what way could you prevent yourself from being harmed by having a gun? I could see how one could retaliate by shooting someone after an accident takes place, but that doesn't prevent the accident. It compounds it.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com
It ends there.

jitteringjr said:
I live a city where the murder rate is one of the highest in the country (and some years is the highest) and I have never "had to" pack. I have never even felt uncomfortable to the point the having one would be nice while I was riding.

If I had to guesstamate, I would say that less than 1 out of a million people would ever really need one while riding. I mean you are moving at 20mph, it is not like they are going run you down on foot. Its not like the criminal is going to jump on his Campy racing machine to chase you down and gun you. Heck it is not like most criminals could even hit a moving target if they did shoot. Now walking the street at night may be different and having one would be nice at times, but seriously while riding, not needed.

It seems to be about peace of mind for most people and not about "having to have one"
I ride the street at night, what then?

howierart said:
When I go cycling I carry as little as possible, who wants to carry soemthing heavy up the hills with you? I even empty the essentials from my wallet into a plastic bag to keep the weight down. Though in these modern times Ive found towing a gas chamber comes in useful. Just in case I see someone who might be a threat...No to be honest im lucky to live in a part of England werethe birds sing and the sun shines. I say hi to my neigbours and everythings nice. Every now and again if we got problems we get drunk and fight it out like men..Ha ha ha ha or take it all out in a time trial or a football game... Peace and love to one and all! Ive learnt soemthing from this, something I already knew.. Ive no reason and no desire to ever go to America..
Is England a better society than the USA?