How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

But the situations you mentioned, even the kids throwing dirt clods and chasing you would not be situations where you could use a gun and not be thrown into prison for it.

So I'm still trying to figure out what situations exist where someone needs a gun while on a bike ride. I guess if I was attacked by someone with a knife, while on a bike, I might need a gun. But even in that case, I'd be lucky if I wasn't also thrown in jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Oh, and while I've never had anyone chase me through the streets of DC while riding my bikes, I have had a lot of close calls with motorists who are asses. But, someone honking at you or turning sharply in front of you would hardly be cause to whip out the handgun and start firing away at the vehicle. :cool:

wolfix said:
I caught my tire in a crack and went over slow motion..... The old guy looked at me and said " ****ing loser."

I've read much of this thread and am yet to be convinced of any eventuality that would require carrying a gun while out for a spin....until I read your post.
:D

Tonto said:
I've read much of this thread and am yet to be convinced of any eventuality that would require carrying a gun while out for a spin....until I read your post.
:D
That is good......

Have any of those of you who do carry concealed weapons actually had cause to use them in self defense? Presumably they wouldn't offer much deterrant value unless you un-concealed them, so I'm guessing that they are carried in case they have to be used.
Given the frequency that I've been in a situation where a weapon would help (rather than hinder) me, it seems (to me) a little bit like wearing a life jacket everywhere in case today turns out to be Tsunami Day.
By way of comparison, I wear a helmet when riding because the large number of times that I've hit the tarmac (usually through the youthful exuberance associated with being an old *******) suggests that head injuries are a real threat.

My brother in law is participates in clay pigeon shooting.
At Christmas he invited me along to have a go at shooting some clays.

I had never handled a gun/rifle before and I have to say I was pretty nervous as he showed me the method of shooting clays.
My attempts to shoot were not very successful - but it was an interesting experience nontheless.

Having said that I still continue to feel nervous when in the presence of guns - even if it is only clay pigeons.

I hold the nation's (possibly the world's) largest machinegun shoot!

My website: www.bulletfest.net Feel free to download the free videos and look at the pictures. If you are near Ohio this June, please stop by and introduce yourself. I'll make sure you get some trigger time if you want to try out a few machineguns.

Shooting a firearm is safer than riding a bicycle in traffic...and just as much fun!

I do not carry often when i ride despite having a concealed carry permit.

I used to carry a shotgun when I went riding, but I kept falling off the bike everytime I pulled the trigger. It really wasn't that much fun, so I've decided to keep my hobbies separate until I can learn to balance the bike as I squeeze off another round. Let me know if you have any specific suggestions.

Best, Keefe.

WKB said:
I used to carry a shotgun when I went riding, but I kept falling off the bike everytime I pulled the trigger. It really wasn't that much fun, so I've decided to keep my hobbies separate until I can learn to balance the bike as I squeeze off another round. Let me know if you have any specific suggestions.

Best, Keefe.
That must have been you I saw on SPIKE TV (a US channel) yesterday. The guy robbed a store with a shotgun, then fell off his bike trying to pedal away while balancing the shotgun in one hand!

WKB said:

Best, Keefe.
I have one. Attach a couple of small handguns to the sides of your helmet, attach the sight to your visor, and develop a "bite trigger".

The State Police told me such things are illegal in Illinois, alas.

I tend to think small.

Why not develop a special clamp to attach a simple shotgun to your helmet, which RELEASES WHEN THE GUN IS FIRED?

The buckshot would go forward, the shotgun would fly off backward, and the rider would be unaffected by the recoil.

You could attach about ten of these around the top of your helmet, pointing forward, like a giant deadly bonnet. Your bite trigger would fire them one at a time with ten consecutive bites on the trigger.

WKB said:

Best, Keefe.
I would suggest that since you seem to fall off your bike alot, that you wear a helmet.. But since you seem to be a sensible type of guy, you probably already do.
12 gauge or 20 gauge? Pump or double barrel?
Another suggestion.... when posting things on internet forums, pictures are nice. We like pictures. That way we can see the techniques you are using to get a round off or two.

Are you shooting at a moving object such as a drake mallard or possibly a BMW, or a stationary object like a siloutte target of a D.E.A. agent or at a rival gang member?

You are following safety procedures like using a light after dark, hand signals when turning left, and registering your bike . In some states registering a bike is the law if you conceal it.

We really need more to answer the question. You could possibly contact your local NRA member [http://www.nra.org/NRA ] to pick up a safety brochure on how to shoot your shotgun while riding.

I'm glad you are conerned about you safety. If you are safe, we are safe.

Guns are great, lets all praise an invention made just to kill other people:) That gunfest is the stupidest thing I've seen for a while and just confirms all my presumptions about crasy gun-totin americans...

Good luch with all the killing past, present and future.

Irish Indurain said:
AHH terrorists!!!! Protect your Country by carrying firearms during your leisure activities!! Help win the war on terror! Turn your road bike into a mobile field unit. Your country needs you!

Seriously though, its sad to think that some people cant go out on a leisurely cycle without carrying a live, and potentially lethal firearm. Its a shame to see america becoming so paranoid about homeland security. When i cycle its an opportunity to forget everything and just push myself to my limits, placing all my concentration on each stroke.
I could never feel comfortable carrying a gun on a cycle. But i live in a different cuclture i suppose..
I can't agree more with you. I live in US and am stunned to hear some of comments here.
I used different machine guns in the army but never have desire to use it since. Guess there are more to learn about this country....
What disgusts me though is that "we are super power" mentality..
That is the last thing you, we americans, really need to broadcast out loud... Next time, please try " we are luckiest"...

When I wa cycling in West Africa some years ago, we were recommended to carry a gun by the consolate. They went on to say that if we were shot at, we should fire back - that way the other party would not bother us! They then offered us an old revolver and two boxes of bullets!

While heading across Algeria we we're shot at from a long way away, we sped off wondering if we should've take up the consolates offer, luckily for us we didn't as moments later the sound of a machine gun broke the silence.

Later in Nigeria, we cycled through a gun fight between two waring neighbours. They both stopped firing and cam into the middle of the road to talk to us, they started arguing about who was the friendliest and calling each other liars, etc. We declined offers of food and a bed from both parties. We headed onwards and once clear the two neighbours started shooting each other again!

From my own experience I would never carry a gun, but have been sorely tempted!! Mostly by speeding cars and ignorant jay-walkers in London though!

I'll cycle in Europe thanks - Are you US lot real ? :eek:

Although gun crime is getting weekly occurance in the not so 'popular' parts of Manchester (UK) and involves cycles - usually the local drug runners/gang members.

Thank goodness UK gun crime is mainly 'inter gang' related and doesn't affect Jo Public.

fossyant said:
I'll cycle in Europe thanks - Are you US lot real ? :eek:

Although gun crime is getting weekly occurance in the not so 'popular' parts of Manchester (UK) and involves cycles - usually the local drug runners/gang members.

Thank goodness UK gun crime is mainly 'inter gang' related and doesn't affect Jo Public.
I have cycled for over 35 years in the states and have never came across a cyclist with a gun......

wolfix said:
I have cycled for over 35 years in the states and have never came across a cyclist with a gun......
Yeh, I know 99% will be the same as you, but the others are a bit shocking ! If @iss taking ! :cool:

I live in Clare in Ireland. Where I cannot possibly imagine needing a gun for any self defense purpose. Infact the Gardai (police) here don't have guns. That's all of Ireland not just Clare.
The biggest crime in the village where I live is kids throwing eggs on halloween.

I don't even bother locking my front door or car if parked at home or in the village where I live.

Gee I'm Sooooo jealous I don't live in the USA.

Oh I'm not Irish so am not just being parochial & it's really like that here which I'm sure other Irish members will confirm.

Honestly, all the carry on about it being safer in states in USA where more regular prople are armed misses the point that your country would be much improved if you ditched your guns completely.

You need a change in your culture & by the way that ammendment in your constitution about citizen's right to bear arms was put there to allow the citezenry to rise up against a corrupt & despotic government.

Good luck with that. You'd better start stockpiling smart laser guided intercontinental ballistic misiles for that one.

Well that should fire up the Amnerican bashing again.

OneRing said:
I live in Clare in Ireland. Where I cannot possibly imagine needing a gun for any self defense purpose. Infact the Gardai (police) here don't have guns. That's all of Ireland not just Clare.
The biggest crime in the village where I live is kids throwing eggs on halloween.

I don't even bother locking my front door or car if parked at home or in the village where I live.

Gee I'm Sooooo jealous I don't live in the USA.

Oh I'm not Irish so am not just being parochial & it's really like that here which I'm sure other Irish members will confirm.

Honestly, all the carry on about it being safer in states in USA where more regular prople are armed misses the point that your country would be much improved if you ditched your guns completely.

You need a change in your culture & by the way that ammendment in your constitution about citizen's right to bear arms was put there to allow the citezenry to rise up against a corrupt & despotic government.

Good luck with that. You'd better start stockpiling smart laser guided intercontinental ballistic misiles for that one.

Well that should fire up the Amnerican bashing again.
It's a little hard to compare Ireland and the US.... Consider the fact that Europe in whole is only slightly larger then the US. I think a fair comparision is my state of Iowa to Ireland. I think we are close to being twice the size. It would be a fair comparison because we are made up of mostly German, Irish , and English immigrants.
The last house I lived in for 20 years I did not lock my doors either. Even when I was not home...[ Except when I got a divorce, I locked my ex-wife out. Does that count? ]
We do see some violence occasionally, but it is not usually gun related. And yet, because bird/deer hunting is a rite of passage here, gun ownership is high. But as a tool for hunting, not aggressive behavior.
But since we are bashing .......Let's compare Europe[ Bosnian] and my state. Let's see...... ethnic cleansing and warfare. At least that is what my Bosnian friends who came here from Europe to escape the violent climate they faced in Europe tell me. They feel safe here.

American violence is highly concentrated in large urban areas. But I can understand why Europeans see America as violent when they watch MTV and see the gangsta rap..... But you have to realize that mentality is contained in a very small group in America. It does not represent America.

wolfix said:
It's a little hard to compare Ireland and the US.... Consider the fact that Europe in whole is only slightly larger then the US. I think a fair comparision is my state of Iowa to Ireland. I think we are close to being twice the size. It would be a fair comparison because we are made up of mostly German, Irish , and English immigrants.
The last house I lived in for 20 years I did not lock my doors either. Even when I was not home...[ Except when I got a divorce, I locked my ex-wife out. Does that count? ]
We do see some violence occasionally, but it is not usually gun related. And yet, because bird/deer hunting is a rite of passage here, gun ownership is high. But as a tool for hunting, not aggressive behavior.
But since we are bashing .......Let's compare Europe[ Bosnian] and my state. Let's see...... ethnic cleansing and warfare. At least that is what my Bosnian friends who came here from Europe to escape the violent climate they faced in Europe tell me. They feel safe here.

American violence is highly concentrated in large urban areas. But I can understand why Europeans see America as violent when they watch MTV and see the gangsta rap..... But you have to realize that mentality is contained in a very small group in America. It does not represent America.
G,Day Wolfix,

You sound way to sensible I was hoping to get the lunitic fringe fired up.

Look I know it's not all like the movies & there are planty of guns in Ireland. But primaririly owned by farmers to shoot foxes etc. Which sounds pretty similar to what you are talking about in rural area in the states.

It's people using guns on each other which is the problem.

In fact I think I could go down to the local hunting/fishing store here & buy a riffle with little or no formalities. But it's impossible to buy any type of semi or automatic weapon or handgun.

It's people using guns on each other which is the problem.

I agree with you that the MTV 'bust a cap in yout ass' culture has alot to answer for.

But you must admit somehow patriotism & gun ownership has got somwhow mixed up in the USA.

I think your example of Bosnia is a bit extreme as they were in a state of civil war. Moreover, Ireland is right at the other extreme being probably one of thw safest countries on earth. But the fact remain that you have the highest incidence of gun crime in the civilised world.

My home country Australia is somewhere inbetween Ireland & the USA but it's one of the reassons I prefer to live in Ireland as no chance of the 'I fired 3 warning shots into the suspects head' senario with the police or anyone else for that matter.

I guess my point is that this issue is something Americans need to address as it would vastly improve the quality of life for Americans.

I copuld get into the issue of capital punishment in the hope of getting things stired up a bit more.