How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Thank you for your service, Captain.

Back in the 1970's i used to target shoot with a Dan Wesson .357 magnum. Nice pistols. My fav is the 1911 and for CCW either a 9 x 18 Bulgarian Makarov, a Hungarian PA63 (also in 9 x 18) or a stainless Walther PPK/S in .380.

CAMPYBOB said:
My fav is the 1911 and for CCW either a 9 x 18 Bulgarian Makarov, a Hungarian PA63 (also in 9 x 18) or a stainless Walther PPK/S in .380.
The name is Bob, Campy Bob.
:D

Bro Deal said:
The name is Bob, Campy Bob.
:D
I know what you're thinking. "Do we have six laps to go or only five?"
Well, to tell you the truth, in all this exciting short crit circuit I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Campy Record equipped Pinarello, the most powerful bicycle in the world, and would blow your legs clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Petacchi? :D

Neigh, I am a liar! Most people wouldn't know of it, and I edited part of my post to improve comprehension by the public. You see, I own no .44 magnums. And now, the rest of the story...

In the 1980's I bought a stainless Dan Wesson .445 Supermag with a 10-inch barrel. After mounting a Bushnell scope on the rib, it proved too unwieldy, so I had my smith re-mount the scope on the frame. This negated the advantage of having interchangable barrels. Time passed, and Dan Wesson came and went with the foibles of ownership and undercapitolization. At Mountain Home AFB, I finally had enough dough to purchase another gun, and Dan Wesson was once more, up and running. I chose again, the .445 Supermag, but with a 6-inch compensated barrel, stainless of course. It's kind of fun using .44 magnums as my practise midrange load. (Both calibers are actually .429, but the Supermag is a quarter-inch longer). The grip frame extends as a post into the Hogue grips and does a marvelous job of taming recoil.

I lived well off base, in the desert. Response time for the fire department and sheriff was 45-minutes. The 6-inch Dan became my carry piece and I got a CCW. I didn't actually conceal it, though. I stand 5-foot 6-inches and the Uncle Mike's shoulder holster attached to my belt, hanging down another inch. Even under a coat, it looked like I was carrying the Chicago phone directory under my arm. Sometimes I used an Uncle Mike's belt holster in cross-draw on a duty belt.

An iterim commander of the Mental Health Flight took issue with my fondness for horses, hunting, camping, and shooting. And I didn't even own a TV! She was the stereotype of the social worker, radical feminist, knee-jerk liberal, verbally aggressive, intolerant, and just plain mean spirited. One morning during case conference review, she sarcastically challenged me in front of the whole team, stating, "Why do you think you need to have a gun?" Without expression, I responded flatly and quietly - "We have a mountain lion that comes though about every 6-weeks. This spring it killed two 450-pound calves. My pony weighs 400 pounds and we go out after work when I get home, after sunset. I have to be armed". She looked stunned, and then puzzled, mumbled something about "I guess that's okay", and walked away.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

Epilogue: The interim commander kept making an ass of herself and was eventually stripped of her clinical priveledges and put to work in a warehouse at Osan Korea. She tried to resign her commission so she could go home and start over, but the Air Force said, "Hey, you're doing great work in the warehouse. Tell you what - we'll keep you in the warehouse through your Korean rotation, and then you can resign your commission".

Duffer said:
Neigh, I am a liar! Most people wouldn't know of it, and I edited part of my post to improve comprehension by the public. You see, I own no .44 magnums. And now, the rest of the story...

In the 1980's I bought a stainless Dan Wesson .445 Supermag with a 10-inch barrel. After mounting a Bushnell scope on the rib, it proved too unwieldy, so I had my smith re-mount the scope on the frame. This negated the advantage of having interchangable barrels. Time passed, and Dan Wesson came and went with the foibles of ownership and undercapitolization. At Mountain Home AFB, I finally had enough dough to purchase another gun, and Dan Wesson was once more, up and running. I chose again, the .445 Supermag, but with a 6-inch compensated barrel, stainless of course. It's kind of fun using .44 magnums as my practise midrange load. (Both calibers are actually .429, but the Supermag is a quarter-inch longer). The grip frame extends as a post into the Hogue grips and does a marvelous job of taming recoil.

I lived well off base, in the desert. Response time for the fire department and sheriff was 45-minutes. The 6-inch Dan became my carry piece and I got a CCW. I didn't actually conceal it, though. I stand 5-foot 6-inches and the Uncle Mike's shoulder holster attached to my belt, hanging down another inch. Even under a coat, it looked like I was carrying the Chicago phone directory under my arm. Sometimes I used an Uncle Mike's belt holster in cross-draw on a duty belt.

An iterim commander of the Mental Health Flight took issue with my fondness for horses, hunting, camping, and shooting. And I didn't even own a TV! She was the stereotype of the social worker, radical feminist, knee-jerk liberal, verbally aggressive, intolerant, and just plain mean spirited. One morning during case conference review, she sarcastically challenged me in front of the whole team, stating, "Why do you think you need to have a gun?" Without expression, I responded flatly and quietly - "We have a mountain lion that comes though about every 6-weeks. This spring it killed two 450-pound calves. My pony weighs 400 pounds and we go out after work when I get home, after sunset. I have to be armed". She looked stunned, and then puzzled, mumbled something about "I guess that's okay", and walked away.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

Epilogue: The interim commander kept making an ass of herself and was eventually stripped of her clinical priveledges and put to work in a warehouse at Osan Korea. She tried to resign her commission so she could go home and start over, but the Air Force said, "Hey, you're doing great work in the warehouse. Tell you what - we'll keep you in the warehouse through your Korean rotation, and then you can resign your commission".
I can see that you just love your guns. Do you ride a bike?

Ugh.. guns.

After a female cyclist was killed and raped last year alot of ladies were carrying guns in their jersey pockets. I only carry mace and it's mostly for dogs that like to chase me. I've never fired a gun and really don't care to eventhough we do have a glock in the house.

Duffer said:
She was the stereotype of the social worker, radical feminist, knee-jerk liberal, verbally aggressive, intolerant, and just plain mean spirited.
I know the type. It gets worse if they're also WHINEY. Still, it's fun and easy to play mind games with them.

It was 12 degrees and snowing this morning, so too sloppy for cycling. What's a poor roadie to do?

Why, pack up the wife and go hit the gun show outside of Cleveland of course.

I wonder if many folks on this forum are aware that there is an entire catagory of handguns that are quite correctly called "VELO-DOGS"? Don't believe it? Go Google it. From the era of the ordinary thru WW2 many cyclists carried and deployed these handy little gems.

The velo-dog pistol was designed specifically for...wait for it...cyclists. It was carried for protection against dogs and whatever else might go bump in the night.

Back before people devolved into whatever it is they seem to be today, men on velocipedes simply shot and killed canines that threated them with injury.

OoAmericanGirl said:
Ugh.. guns.

After a female cyclist was killed and raped last year alot of ladies were carrying guns in their jersey pockets. I only carry mace and it's mostly for dogs that like to chase me. I've never fired a gun and really don't care to eventhough we do have a glock in the house.
gee, it sounds safer in Baghdad.

I'm late coming on to this subject. I ride bikes, and when I'm on a long ride in the country, alone I carry a S & W 38. Never needed it. I've had confrontations that have diffused without violence. One time I was Surf fishing on a beach at night with only my family. I group of 3 men came up that scared the daylights out of us. They wanted the keys to our car. You can drive on the beach in North Florida. I pulled the gun out of my pocket,kept the gun pointed down and asked the men to just keep moving up the beach, and they complied.I think this could have come to a bad ending for my family if I was not armed.With my wife and daughters I dont feel they would have been happy with just the car. In this case I feel the weapon prevented violence. The only time I have ever pulled a weapon in 21 years of carry. But I frequently have it with me.

I'm not smart enough to cure the ills of my country, or society. But I simply will protect myself and my family.

CAMPYBOB said:
Yeah, we all know there's no rape or murder in oz.

Australia 0.777999 rapes per 1,000 people

USA 0.301318 rapes per 1,000 people

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

criminals prefer the defenseless. But you knew that, didn't you?

I guess you're referring to Baghdad, NSW eh?
Using the same source...
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita
NationMaster - Statistics > Murders (per capita) by country

USA Murders 12658
AUS Murders 302

USA Murders with firearm 8259
AUS Murders with firearm 59

USA Murder rate per 1,000 .042802
AUS Murder rate per 1,000 .0150324
USA murder rate is almost 3X that of Australia

USA Murder rate with firearm per 1,000 .0279271
AUS Murder rate with firearm per 1,000 .00293678
USA murder rate with firearm is 8X that of Australia

Before you blame the very high murder rate of the USA on 'gangs'...the FBI calculate that less than 5% of murders are 'gang-related.'

Rape victims who are murdered are not counted as rape statistics as they are unable to report it. All you have shown is that rape victims in Australia are more likely to survive to report the crime.

CAMPYBOB said:
Yeah, we all know there's no rape or murder in oz.

Australia 0.777999 rapes per 1,000 people

USA 0.301318 rapes per 1,000 people

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

hey, it's not a competition, but the number of US citizens that feel the need to carry weapons for self-defence whilst cycling is truly worrying - either a reflection of a deep community paranoia or a very dysfunctional society. It's certainly discouraged me from ever visiting. You're right, I can get raped or murdered right here at home but nobody outside the US (and probably Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan etc) feel the need to be armed whilst riding.

feetorfish said:
I'm late coming on to this subject. [/i]
Very late. You only joined the forum yesterday and your only post is on the subject of guns.
And I bet you never post on any other subject.

ProfTournesol said:
hey, it's not a competition, but the number of US citizens that feel the need to carry weapons for self-defence whilst cycling is truly worrying - either a reflection of a deep community paranoia or a very dysfunctional society. It's certainly discouraged me from ever visiting. You're right, I can get raped or murdered right here at home but nobody outside the US (and probably Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan etc) feel the need to be armed whilst riding.

surely then there would be almost zero need to ride with a gun in the US with so many armed cyclists and the crime rate would be almost zero with so many people armed to the teeth.

Incidentally Baghdad is the capital or Iraq, a country in the Middle East and rather a dangerous place despite the high number of weapons available for 'self-defence'. I realise that there's also a Baghdad in NSW but you can cycle there without a weapon. There's also a Melbourne in FL where you probably also need a weapon and body armour from what I read here, and a Sydney in Nova Scotia Canada where you don't need a gun to ride.

As they said on the first day of my econometrics class 23 years ago:

"There's lies, damn lies, ... and statistics!"

CAMPYBOB said:
I know the type. It gets worse if they're also WHINEY. Still, it's fun and easy to play mind games with them.

It was 12 degrees and snowing this morning, so too sloppy for cycling. What's a poor roadie to do?

Why, pack up the wife and go hit the gun show outside of Cleveland of course.
And did you donate some more timber to your friends at the gun show Bob?
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14437&referrerid=42230
The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - Chief Thunder and Campybob gave me WOOD!

I am roadkill on the Information Superhighway - I tried to upload a jpg of Graham Chapman in a general's uniform with the logo, "Stop that! That's silly!". I don't seem to have the wherewithall of doing so on this website.

Now then, let's see. Australia has approximately 16.5 million people and the United States just cleared 300,000,000.

A close friend was in a big city bus station. He needed to use the bathroom. Stepping in, he found three men, one on his knees giving another oral sex while the other fiddled with himself. My friend locked himself in a stall to evacuate his bowels. Three sets of shoes appeared just beyond the door. My friend racked the slide on his 9mm and a cartridge fell to the floor and under the door. The three sets of shoes moved away.

Don't think rape can happen to a man? Think again, Bunky.

I had been serving homeless veterans in another big city. My client had been making progress and received his first paycheck, and bought some decent clothes. He returned to the shelter at the close of day, then proceeded to an adjoining park. The local gangs know when people get paid, and five of them followed him. They beat the hell out of him, stole his money, stole his clothes, and then all five anally raped him. All five assailants were heterosexual - rape isn't about sex, it's about power and control. They did it to my client to degrade and humiliate him. My client went to the police and reported it. The police laughed at him and refused to take a report because he lived in the shelter. I met with him just once after it happened, and he relayed the story. The next day he disappeared, and I've not seen him since. He never reported back to his job either.

If this was you, or you saw it happening to your son, what would you do? Call a cop? Good luck!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Colonel Cooper was asked if he thought violence begets violence. He replied, "Yes. And I'm here to make certain it does".

Just so I'm clear, acording to our Aussie, Euro, and misguided American friends on this forum, in the U.S. if you carry a handgun your a paranoid nutso. If you ever had to try defend yourself with it you would be so full of fear or adrenaline that you wouldn't be able to use it. Even the police only have them for pipes and bottles and if it was an armed bad guy we have to call up a special unit. Only those trained to a razers edge could even begin to have the skills to handle an armed confrontation with a handgun.

Well what do you know an off duty police officer stops a shotgun wielding nutball, (thats right a shotgun, you know a "sporting arm") with a handgun (early reports say a Kimber 1911 in 45acp, Col. Cooper is smiling from heaven).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/13/national/main2466711.shtml

Armed citizens in this country use firearms with great regularity to prevent crime, most of the time with out touching off a shot.

http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

Undrestand this, our country is a counrty born of war, and firearms are a big part of our heritage, in fact such a big part it's in our constitution.

Recomended reading.

http://harris.dvc.org.uk/jeff/

http://www.johnlott.org/

stevebaby since you like to ask questions of others here, why did you quit being a LEO? Get caught on the take? Lose your nerve (this is my guess based on his post)?

Stevebaby, thanks for the welcome to the board. I went on the equipment part of the forum for the first time, and this was the busiest section. I guess it does not belong here, more a political question. I am sure you are an extremley friendly, articulate person and it would be better if we just rode bikes and did not discuss these types of questions on boards like this. I was actually looking for an answer about a crank I was looking at for my race bike, and got sucked into this question. There are alot of mean folks on this board, who attack people personally(like you did to me). There are other boards where the people are not so mean, so I'll be going there. God Bless.