How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Akadat said:

Carrying a gun in Australia is very dangerous, actually brandishing one will land you in deep siht with 'the full force of the law'.
You seem to indicate that it would be unfair if this lady was charged for this. What a bizarre attitude - if someone drew a gun on your wife and kids in the carpark as they were getting into their car, wouldn't you think that constitutes a pretty goddam major offense?!

This story merely proves to me that there is a disconnect between the American so called "right" to have a gun (just because 200 years ago some guys in Washington put it in a document in response to conditions that existed at that time) and the ability of normal people not trained in law enforcement to use one responsibly in stressful situations.

mikesbytes said:
Even Grannies are carrying guns
I can find this on several sites characterized as a senior/elderly joke, and as a story forwarded all around the world as a true story, but none that provides a newspaper/newswire reference.

The gun-control proponents are fond of quoting this tale.

It is debunked as an Urban Legend at http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

The NRA refers to published data on crime in England, Australia, etc., that has been very vaguely and obscurely caveated as subject to possible changes in methodology and they get trashed for being lying scum bastards. The Brady Campaign and other international anti-gun organizations push **** like this around on email lists and people defend it by saying "it could possibly happen in the USA".

Go figure.

stevebaby said:
In any given year,more than 20 million people in Australia assumed that they weren't going to be murdered. In any given year, around 300 of them got it wrong.
More than 20 million of them got it right.
Oh - but don't forget to mention that ~200,000 were assaulted, robbed or kidnapped. I hope that they didn't assume they would be safe from violent crime, because 1 in 100 were not ...

And ~1 million were victims of property crimes. Maybe they assumed they would not have others break into their homes to steal their possessions, steal their cars or other personal property. Almost 1 in 20 were wrong ...

At least according to the Australia Crime Facts and Figures 2005 reference you provided. Hopefully I haven't missed another vague, obscure caveat suggesting that these data might also be inaccurate due to changes in data gathering and such...

Stu07 said:
This story merely proves to me that there is a disconnect between the American so called "right" to have a gun (just because 200 years ago some guys in Washington put it in a document in response to conditions that existed at that time) and the ability of normal people not trained in law enforcement to use one responsibly in stressful situations.
What parts of our US Constitution do you think we should do away with as no longer needed? Just this one sentence? When did we stop needing it? When would we need it again?

It's pretty easy to pick on the world's only remaining superpower, but it's harder to get that superpower to notice...

We are all equally able to NOT resist being beaten, shot, knifed, robbed or raped by an attacker. Perhaps we're not all as able as LEOs to use a firearm - many non-LEOs are more ably trained and many are less ably trained - but why does that force all in the US to submit to criminal victimization?

Oh please SB, I haven't been called a liar or insulted for days. I've been to busy riding at a training camp. Can I count on you???

BTW, I was in a state where I could not legally carry a concealed firearm, so I didn't while riding or otherwise. And who'd a thunk it - I wasn't killed. Well, the odds are difinitely lower than about 1 in 300 million it seems.

cbjesseeNH said:
I can find this on several sites characterized as a senior/elderly joke, and as a story forwarded all around the world as a true story, but none that provides a newspaper/newswire reference.

The gun-control proponents are fond of quoting this tale.

It is debunked as an Urban Legend at http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/grannies.asp

The NRA refers to published data on crime in England, Australia, etc., that has been very vaguely and obscurely caveated as subject to possible changes in methodology and they get trashed for being lying scum bastards. The Brady Campaign and other international anti-gun organizations push **** like this around on email lists and people defend it by saying "it could possibly happen in the USA".

Go figure.
Isn't this a joke thread ?

cbjesseeNH, let me insult you in SteveBaby's absentia. You need to let it go...Nut Job. You are a pox on the pro gun advocate's position. I am embarassed that I own so many guns when I read your "justifications" for your paranoia. Why don't you STFU and let rational, intelligent pro-gun advocates argue "your case". Someone like you owning a gun frightens even a gun owner like myself. Let me repeat, do us all a favor and STFU.

There, that should help fulfill your persecution complex quota for the day...Nut Job!:rolleyes:

Tim Lamkin said:
Nope...... a lot of passion is running deep in this thread…on both sides.
And I thought some lady would of dropped the "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me" joke in this thread.

A blonde suspects her boyfriend of cheating on her.

She goes out and buys a gun. She goes to his apartment unexpectedly and sure enough, she opens the door and finds him in the arms of a redhead.

Well, now she's angry!

She opens her purse to take out the gun but as she does so, she is overcome with grief. She takes the gun and points to her head.

The boyfriend yells, "No, honey, don't do it!!"

"Shut up," she says, "You're next."

Navy and Marine Rules for Gun Fighting

USMC Rules For Gun Fighting
* Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
* Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
* Only hits count. A close miss is still a miss.
* If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.
* Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)
* If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
* In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
* They will only remember who lived.
* If you are not shooting, you should be communic- ating, reloading, and running.
* Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
* Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.
* Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
* Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
* Have a plan.
* Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
* Use cover and concealment as much as possible.
* Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
* Don't drop your guard.
* Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees.
* Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
* Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough.
* The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get.
* Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
* Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
* Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4".

Navy Rules for Gun Fighting
* Go to Sea
* Send the Marines
* Drink Coffee

reallyoldpunk said:
cbjesseeNH, let me insult you in SteveBaby's absentia. You need to let it go...Nut Job. You are a pox on the pro gun advocate's position. I am embarassed that I own so many guns when I read your "justifications" for your paranoia. Why don't you STFU and let rational, intelligent pro-gun advocates argue "your case". Someone like you owning a gun frightens even a gun owner like myself. Let me repeat, do us all a favor and STFU.

There, that should help fulfill your persecution complex quota for the day...Nut Job!:rolleyes:
A pale second, but thanks for the effort. How'd you know I went to St. F. Univ? Gotta dig out my STFU Rifle Team jacket from the mothballs now! Our NROTC unit beat Army at Nationals back in '77...

BTW, the US Circuit of Appeals for the District of Columbia just shot down DC's ban on handgun ownership. The decision here: http://www.gurapossessky.com/documents/parkerdc030907.pdf

At the same site, briefs from the pro & anti organizations giving thier 2-bits on respective sides. Makes interesting reading for those on either side of the 2nd amendment issue. Not too interesting, unfortunately, for those not taken with the notion that governments and constitutions exist to protect the natural rights of citizens, rather than to grant or take away rights as "priviledges" to suit the majority or whim of current leadership ...

Fifteen Reasons You
Should Own A Gun

1. Your right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed in the Constitution and Bill of Rights of the United States of America. "Use it or lose it."

2. George Washington said: "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence..."

3. Bearing arms is the Christian thing to do. Jesus said: "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one..." (Luke 22:36 NIV)

4. Enjoying guns is not a strange weird thing, as some anti-gun people insist. People have been hunting with long guns for centuries. Shooting is an internationally recognized Olympic sport.

5. People without guns are assaulted or murdered daily by criminals who have guns. Having a gun makes you better able to defend your family.

6. If gun ownership is made illegal, criminals won't turn in their guns. Gun control makes easy prey out of law-abiding citizens.

7. We are grateful for the police officers of our communities. However, the police can't come to help you until AFTER a crime has been committed. Having a gun may enable you to stay alive long enough to call for help from the police.

8. American courts regularly return violent criminals to the streets to do their crimes again.

9. Guns in the home are safe, when gun owners keep guns responsibly. More children die every year in swimming pool accidents than in gun accidents.

10. It is a fact that armed American men and women prevent two million crimes every year with their guns.

11. Self-defense is more honorable and better for society than being a victim. It is up to YOU to act responsibly for your own safety, and the safety of your family.

12. It is a fact that cities which impose strict gun control create the highest assault and murder rates in America.

13. It is a fact that most gun crimes in America involve gangsters shooting other gangsters. The average gun owner never uses his or her gun to commit a crime.

14. Most states issue permits to carry concealed handguns. Men and women who get permits take gun safety classes, and have extensive criminal background checks. These people make everyone a little safer, wherever they may be.

15. The "War on Terror" is likely to be a long war. People who own guns, and who are trained to use guns responsibly, are better able to serve their country than people who are ignorant about guns.

Eleven Excuses for NOT Owning A Gun

1. I'm too busy to take the time to learn how to handle a gun safely.

2. I believe that all guns are evil, even in the hands of the police and soldiers.

3. I would rather let a criminal kill me or my family than try to stop him with a gun.

4. I believe it was wrong for America's founding fathers to use guns to overthrow the rule of the British. We should have stayed a colony.

5. I believe it was wrong for American soldiers to use guns to rescue innocent men and women from the Nazi death camps.

6. I believe that I will never need a gun to defend myself or my family, because the police will be constantly watching over me to make sure that I will never be in danger.

7. I trust our courts to keep violent criminals off the streets. It's not possible that I will ever be attacked by a criminal.

8. If our government decides to make all gun owners register every gun they have, and then decides to confiscate all privately owned guns, I still don't think we have anything to worry about. I know other countries have become dictatorships, but that could never happen in America.

9. I don't know much about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and I don't have any desire to learn more. I've heard that the 2nd Amendment guarantees the right of Americans to keep and bear arms, but I really don't care.

Wow - police with submachine guns outside a London hospital. You don't see that in the US...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23387896-details/Hospital+staff+to+wear+stab-proof+vests+as+violent+patients+on+the+increase/article.do

"Hospital security staff are being equipped with stab-proof vests, shields and helmets to protect them against violent patients and relatives.
The protection is available to staff at hospitals in Cheshire in response to an unprecedented numbers of assualts against doctors and nurses.

Last year across the UK, there were 75,000 attacks on NHS staff - one every seven minutes...
Last week the BBC's Panorama programme revealed that the vast majority of assaults never reached the courts.

Of 58,700 incidents in England in the year 2005/06, only 850 ended with a prosecution."

Hmmm - a <1.5% prosecution rate. That's one way to push the crime figures down. Let the criminals off. All part of those 'changes in the ways data are being gathered' that make crime so hard to track.

But then again, they are handing out stab-proof vests, not bullet-proof vest. That a clear sign gun-control is having the expected outcome...

As a police officer for the Puerto Rico Police Dept. I have to carry my Dept issued S&W 5906 with 16 +P Golden Sabers all time .On the road it have save my bike and my car from the punks a couple of times(best roads to ride are the ones with minimun trafic on sunday mornings across the sea coast!)for the dogs oc spray is fine .When I ride on a local track ( a good one with a 6.6 miles long asphalted trail ) I dont carry because of the good security it offers ( armed guards on cycles all the way with cameras everywhere) . I dont race but will not carry on a race because state police brings security to the events here. But one thing you guys that dont carry, if you need that kind of help on a situation you can be sure that any of the boys( and girls also) that carry a gun will bring the support you need ! And for the no believers in CCW (concealed carry weapon) statistics prove that people that carry a ccw stay out of trouble more than people that dont carry. Im a believer that everybody would carry a ccw for their safety and protection .A reality is that in the mayority of the occations police arrives to a scene when the crime is allready done. Well ,see you latter and like my favority cop ROBOCOP said once " keep out of trouble " And sorry for my english ,its not my main language .Espanol is. God Bless to all.

JCarlos561 Your story is very interesting: a police officer who cycles and carries when he needs to. I am sure most of us have no idea what life is like in Puerto Rico. It sounds like the laws are sensible over there.

Akadat said:
JCarlos561 Your story is very interesting: a police officer who cycles and carries when he needs to. I am sure most of us have no idea what life is like in Puerto Rico. It sounds like the laws are sensible over there.
Well ,I carry on duty full time and most of the time also but for cycling if Im going to ride on in example El paseo tablado de Pinones I carry my gun b'cause its a trail of 13 miles that goes inside a forest on a no so frequented area and there have been some crimes on that area but the trail (wooden bridges across a swamp in most areas) its so good that its worth the ride.But for the track im riding as I stated theres no need to carry(there are others doing it for you)I feel safe and there 's no happenings on that park that runs near a river .Theres good ilumination also . And yes Puerto Rico is a good place to live and ride with good weather 365 days a yr. , and laws are so sensibles that sometimes its hard to prosecute (or procese) criminals because our constitution brings so much rigths to the individual. Ahh one more note I dont carry when taking a bath or on the restroom ,neither on the bed :D .