How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Joe West said:
I love this thread... I think it will never die :)

Forget the actual topic of weapons... the cultural differences brought forth in this thread have opened my eyes to the amazing differences that occur between SIMILAR cultures (say for instance, Australia and America).

It is no wonder our idiotic President thought he could make changes in Iraq and bring them around to "our way of thinking"... hell; we can't even agree on the value of guns with a similar culture...

I wish George W. Bush had read this thread before he decided to invade Iraq... perhaps he would have changed his mind.

None-the-less... carry on you pro-freedom cyclists! I sense a wave of support turning the tide in our favor and soon, this entire forum will be asking us what our lightweight weapon of choice is!!!

:D

Joe

George Bush would never learn from this thread I'm afraid. You have to be open to ideas to be able to learn. He shows no evidence of this.

Amen to that ... "Rogues are preferred to imbeciles because they sometimes take a rest." A. Dumas

And, Molly Ivins: It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than their optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."

CAMPYBOB said:
Cool! He's ranting now!

It's become evident that some folks just should not own firearms...or sharp sticks for that matter!

What are you teaching your kids.

To shoot for center mass...two to the chest, one to the head, then keep pulling the trigger to slidelock.

I also teach fast tactical reloads.

What's in your wallet? :D

That seems interesting? What happens if your child was shot by someone else who had trained their children to kill? Would it feel better to have that? Someone with a weapon is more likely to use in the case where another is also armed... I'll be living where there are less weapons. That is the simple difference between a culture that guns have permeated, and one where it has not. I do not fear walking down the street at night. Or attacks from any kind of wild animals. It is a societal difference, and I'm not sure how all of us talking about our repective sides will change the way others think... It would seem instead that it just incenses people...

Might be you have it backwards, mate.

Thoughtful souls (anywhere) train their children to respect others and other things, not to shoot and kill. Alas, not enough of us do that, so the shooting aspect is necessary to keep those of us who do so alive...and most learn to do that on their own.

Go Kiwis!

~MoDCoN~ said:
That seems interesting? What happens if your child was shot by someone else who had trained their children to kill? Would it feel better to have that? Someone with a weapon is more likely to use in the case where another is also armed... I'll be living where there are less weapons. That is the simple difference between a culture that guns have permeated, and one where it has not. I do not fear walking down the street at night. Or attacks from any kind of wild animals. It is a societal difference, and I'm not sure how all of us talking about our repective sides will change the way others think... It would seem instead that it just incenses people...
It is my responsibility to provide those I love with the best means and methods to protect themselves from those who do not respect life, liberty or property rights.

Frankly, I do not care if my god-given and constitutionally affirmed right to defend myself "incenses" people. My security trumps your emotions seven days a week.

No just man need fear me. My family need fear no man.

I am not out to 'convert' the world to anything. Not cycling. Not armed self-defense. I've long known that most in the herd are sheep.

It's the wolves I concern myself with.

Regards,
Campybob

I agree with Campybob. I grew up around guns, taught to respect the rule of once the triggers pulled you can,t take it back. I never ever ever want to be responsible for sending someone to meet there maker, but if it's a choice between one of my family members or me being killed by some skum, the skum will loose if i have anything to do with it. I love peace I love my life and at the top I love my family, And will protect all of them.
CAMPYBOB said:
It is my responsibility to provide those I love with the best means and methods to protect themselves from those who do not respect life, liberty or property rights.

Frankly, I do not care if my god-given and constitutionally affirmed right to defend myself "incenses" people. My security trumps your emotions seven days a week.

I am not out to 'convert' the world to anything. Not cycling. Not armed self-defense. I've long known that most in the herd are sheep.

Regards,
Campybob

CAMPYBOB said:

Regards,
Campybob
Well stated, sir!

cheapie said:
i'll bet tinker wishes he had one on him!

i don't carry one. where would i hide it under my spandex??? :D

i don't have a problem w/people carrying one but as a christian i believe that in non-violence. the Bible says that if someone tries to steal your shirt, give him your coat also. so if someone takes my bike do i have to offer him my hrm? lol.
Cheapie,
I'm late to the party, but I was inspired to respond to your Christian perspective.

I've been assaulted four times while bicycling. In no case did anyone ask for or attempt to take anything from me. Each assault was committed by someone using me for target practice for a thrown object: a rock, a glass bottle, a cup of ice, and the piece de resistance: a double-bladed ax.
It was the double-bladed ax that convinced me to arm myself while riding.

When I returned home, I carefully shopped for a reliable handgun powerful enough to defend myself with, if I am ever injured by a future attacker who does not give up after his first strike. (S&W 642: Hammerless, 5-shot, .38 spl)
I also took up handgun competition, and am thoroughly trained in safety and accurate shooting.

I did not anticipate any of the above assaults. Only the inexperience of the attackers prevented me from being injured or killed. All of them missed me with their first and only strike.
All were apparently done simply for the challenge of hitting a moving target, except possibly the ax. At the time of the ax assault, I was crossing the county with a full touring rig. Loggers were on the defensive from tree-hugging eco-terrorists, who were putting lawyers in court rooms and steel spikes in trees. I may have been mistaken for such a person.
In all of these cases I was too surprised to record a license plate and report the incident. I certainly would have been too slow to respond to the initial attack with a weapon.

I do not share your mythology of an after-life. I believe that this is the only life I am granted. I WILL fight to keep this life, and I will fight anyone who tries to take away my right, or means, to do so.

cbjesseeNH said:
Another good option - 5.11 Holster Shirt http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=_NEW&number=40011 I rode with it under my jersey today, carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT, and didn't even know it was there - very comfortable. I'd recommend a size up from normal - I wear a Lg and the XL is just snug enough.

I'm curious whether you've tried to draw from this shirt with a Jersey on over it?
Also, I'd like to see what it looks like with the gun on-board.

I've been carrying on my bikes since 1991. On a Diamond Frame, my DeSantis Gunny Sack worked just fine at the small of my back.

Since switching to the recumbents, I now have a loaded gun pointed at my femoral artery. I also have an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster the is not only bulky, but directly pointed at whoever is in line behind me at the deli. Neither is acceptable.

Your shirt appears to point the muzzle down (a safe direction). What is it like to draw from (at the range, or dry firing?)
What is is like to wear up a 12% climb on a warm day? Could the white shirt be printed with a garish enough design to wear by itself as a cycling jersey, and camoflage the outline of the gun?

Tackdriver

Tackdriver56 said:
Since switching to the recumbents, I now have a loaded gun pointed at my femoral artery.
Tackdriver
Best place for it.
A bent rider with a gun? I'd be tempted to throw an axe at you myself...purely in the interest of public safety, of course.

stevebaby said:
Best place for it.
A bent rider with a gun? I'd be tempted to throw an axe at you myself...purely in the interest of public safety, of course.
Forum Administrator: this post is offensive and constitutes threatening. Please revoke posting priveleges for "stevebaby".

Purely in the interest of public safety, of course.

to be honest guns don't go off by some magic. A revolver or semi in a shoulder holster is safe. It's not like a bump or jostle will make it fire. You have to activly pull the trigger. IMHO if you're worried carry a decent double action revolver and you'll be fine as long as it's comfortable, a ***** pack style holster, only with the pack in front would work fine as well.

Tackdriver56 said:
Forum Administrator: this post is offensive and constitutes threatening. Please revoke posting priveleges for "stevebaby".

Purely in the interest of public safety, of course.
JACKPOT!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D "priveleges" is spelled "privileges"BTW.

Tackdriver56 said:
I'm curious whether you've tried to draw from this shirt with a Jersey on over it?Tackdriver
One either pulls the jersey up with both hands and reaches with the right (for a rightie), or goes down through the zip with the right.

Not as ready as a holster, of course, but there are a few compromises in carrying on a bike.

n2t said:
... IMHO if you're worried carry a decent double action revolver and you'll be fine as long as it's comfortable, a ***** pack style holster, only with the pack in front would work fine as well.
Thanks n2t,
That's exactly the configuration I'm using. The S&W 642 is a hammerless (internal hammer really) DAO revolver. Logically I'm not worried, but there's that nagging safety rule: "always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction". One additional step I can take when wearing it in front, is to keep the chamber in line with the barrel empty.

The DeSantis Gunny Sack lifts a little with each leg lift on the recumbent. It's not bad, but I am motivated to try other solutions.

It's also kind of a sweaty way to carry, but no worse than "Thunderwear", and probably cooler than a holster shirt with a jersey over it.

On the positive side, the Gunny Sack is quite accessible, compared to the belly band or a holster shirt.

I've tried a belly band for carrying in the armpit area, but that gets uncomfortable too, and makes you work just a little extra to breathe. Don't need that. I'll have to look at the belly band for crotch carry one more time. I think there was a reason I didn't like that... maybe the whole commando (sans underwear) situation.

What would be slick is to get a 5.11 holster shirt printed up as a cycling jersey, something patriotic maybe. Betsy Ross flag pattern?

Tackdriver.

cbjesseeNH said:
One either pulls the jersey up with both hands and reaches with the right (for a rightie), or goes down through the zip with the right.

Not as ready as a holster, of course, but there are a few compromises in carrying on a bike.
Thanks Jesse. Would you be willing to post a photo of just the holster shirt on you with a gun in the pocket. I'm curious about the feasibility of getting on printed as a cycling jersey. Do you think it would work?

Tackdriver.

Am I slow or what? That slogan is double-edged, so it is OK to underestimate the power of stupid people when you are alone, or in a small group!

Akadat said:
Am I slow or what? That slogan is double-edged, so it is OK to underestimate the power of stupid people when you are alone, or in a small group!

in particular, I always get caught out underestimating the power of a stupid person when I'm alone:)