How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

kdelong said:
If you are confronted by a lumberjack who is all liquored up and intent on killing someone during one of your rides, you will wish that you had one and knew how to use it.
Ya you definitely gotta watch out for those crazy lumberjacks. Don't forget about the space aliens either, you never know when they'll come back to invade.

I wish we could deport all pro-2nd amendment people back to england :(

I wish we could deport all pro-2nd amendment people back to england

I would take great pleasure watching you attempt to violate the constitution of the United States of America. About as much as I would enjoy the likes of you trying to deport me. Well, Benedict, you can wish wish in one hand and **** in the other for all I care.

You are a traitor to this country and an affront to the great American men that went before you.

Better the likes of you and your kind jump a boat bound for England. The men there have already handed over their balls to their nanny state and the violent crime rates are soaring. You would fit right in as a willing victim and America would be the better for your leaving.

I'll repeat myself for the slow learners in our midst: The Constitutionally guaranteed right to the security of ME and MY family trumps your lame belief in some fantasy utopia that doesn't exist every damn day of the week.

Fudge Monkey said:
I live in Ottawa, Canada.
The idea of packing a gun for a bike ride is revolting, ediotic, repulsive, rediculous, retarded and offensive.

The fact that some people either support or practice this idea is a testimony to how SICK parts of the world have become. Blaming other sick segments of society to justify doing so may seem reasonable to simple minded, like minded sickos. The rest of us on the outside looking in see you for what you are.

All this time i thought cycling enthusiasts were a different breed.
It's clear there are exceptions to every rule.
Our Bill of Rights was written EXACTLY for people like you. Whether politicians, military or the majority, our rights cannot be rescinded based on whatever climate or whomever is in power at the moment. "The rest of [you] on the outside looking in" don't make the slightest bit of difference - never has, never will.

I wouldn't say your opinion is universally shared by your fellow countrymen as well, based on this letter sent to Garry Breitkreuz, Conservative MP for Saskatchewan, by a RCMP officer writing on gun-control in Canada:

"I am a peace officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and am currently posted to the xxxxxxxxxx Detachment... It does not matter if a gun is registered, if someone is bent on crime they will use a registered or non-registered gun. If no gun is available, they will use something else... The gun registry consumes valuable time for the average police officer on the street who has real crime to fight. Saying that the guns are the problem in this society is like saying pens are the cause of spelling errors, or that cars are the cause of drunk driving, or like saying fast food restaurants are the cause of obesity.

When will common sense prevail? People need to be held accountable for their actions - whether with firearms, alcohol, vehicles, etc. That is what the Conservatives did with the Liberals when in opposition and then on a larger scale once elected.

The gun registry brings justice into disrepute. It is an absolute waste of taxpayers money. The registry does nothing to fight the crime issues in this country. Please do everything possible to make sure that this Bill passes."

Or maybe I'm reading you wrong, and lumping you in with those opposed to firearms ownership by citizens - perhaps you think "packing a gun" at any and all other times EXCEPT when riding a bicycle is the right thing to do?

kdelong said:
Also, the US is not as violent as the media would make it out to be. The media in this country has always mainly focused on the worst of our society and make it out to sound 10 times worse than it actually is.
Don't blame the media. It's thread's like this that do it..

cbjesseeNH said:
Our Bill of Rights was written EXACTLY for people like you. Whether politicians, military or the majority, our rights cannot be rescinded based on whatever climate or whomever is in power at the moment. "The rest of [you] on the outside looking in" don't make the slightest bit of difference - never has, never will.

I wouldn't say your opinion is universally shared by your fellow countrymen as well, based on this letter sent to Garry Breitkreuz, Conservative MP for Saskatchewan, by a RCMP officer writing on gun-control in Canada:

"I am a peace officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and am currently posted to the xxxxxxxxxx Detachment... It does not matter if a gun is registered, if someone is bent on crime they will use a registered or non-registered gun. If no gun is available, they will use something else... The gun registry consumes valuable time for the average police officer on the street who has real crime to fight. Saying that the guns are the problem in this society is like saying pens are the cause of spelling errors, or that cars are the cause of drunk driving, or like saying fast food restaurants are the cause of obesity.

When will common sense prevail? People need to be held accountable for their actions - whether with firearms, alcohol, vehicles, etc. That is what the Conservatives did with the Liberals when in opposition and then on a larger scale once elected.

The gun registry brings justice into disrepute. It is an absolute waste of taxpayers money. The registry does nothing to fight the crime issues in this country. Please do everything possible to make sure that this Bill passes."

Or maybe I'm reading you wrong, and lumping you in with those opposed to firearms ownership by citizens - perhaps you think "packing a gun" at any and all other times EXCEPT when riding a bicycle is the right thing to do?
Own all the guns you want. I don't care.

This isn't the wild west of 1860, nobody will try to gun you down for your horse, it's 2007.

It's packing a gun for a bike ride that is offensive, it's clashes against the very spirit of what cycling is about.

Carrying a gun is probably the best way to:

1) Get in a situation that will make you feel like you need it
2) Get in situations where everyone else present without a gun will start feeling they need one
3) Hence, start a race for guns (in others words; US history)

Pardon my french but the best "tool" to keep you out of trouble, and keep you safe, is a university degree and beeing fit to run 3 km/2 miles under 8 minutes? :rolleyes:

This isn't the wild west of 1860, nobody will try to gun you down for your horse, it's 2007.

How about for a pair of sneakers? A Jacket? Your Wallet? Your car?

cbjesseeNH said:

You have become attached to your gun. It is your little security blanket. It doesn't make you a man. It shows you are weak if anything. But it is a product of the "whoever has the best gun wins" culture. It is only found in rogue third world countries and the US.

Why do I get the feeling that some people have guns, then search out risk situations where they might be able to use it. Like the karate black-belt who looks for a fight.

Pardon my french but the best "tool" to keep you out of trouble, and keep you safe, is a university degree and beeing fit to run 3 km/2 miles under 8 minutes?

Pardon my common sense, but a sheepskin ain't bulletproof, bad guys prey upon the rich, the poor, the stupid, the educated and the nice neighborhoods are where the un-armed and wealthy live. Criminals are 'equal opportunity', but prefer the wealthy "educated" folks as victims.

Oh, and you better really improve on your running time. You're no where near the speed of a bullet.

Crankyfeet said:
Why do I get the feeling that some people have guns, then search out risk situations where they might be able to use it. Like the karate black-belt who looks for a fight.
You have this feeling, probably because you are searching for some justification for your opposition to gun ownership but can't find a rational basis for your fear of guns. So you and others like you insult and lambast gun-owners to compensate for your confusion.

As it turns out, those US citizens who have carry permits exhibit a very much lower crime rate than the general population. If you want to devise your rules based on the rare exceptions, you are not going to convince other than those who share your confusion.

Fudge Monkey said:
Own all the guns you want. I don't care.

It's packing a gun for a bike ride that is offensive, it's clashes against the very spirit of what cycling is about.
It seems the place to go to find violent crime in Canada is Saskatoon (rate = 1,606/100,000). Our worst here is 1,277 in Detroit.

Go ride your bike around one of those cities and let me know how you make out. Be sure to tell the locals you are riding in the spirit of cycling

CAMPYBOB said:
...bad guys prey upon the rich, the poor, the stupid, the educated
Fine, but I am not talking about who is subjected to crime, I am talking about which is the "common denominator" of criminals. It is most certainly not the presence of guns since Sweden (and Canada) have as much, if not more, guns than the US (per capita), but the homicide rate is "only" 1,88 in 100 000 citizens compared to US 5,6 (alongside Albania and Namibia).

The "common denominator" of criminals is a unsafe upbringing, lack of education, lack of role models, lack of oppurtunity...

You may call me whatever you want (political), but no society (except dodgy police states perhaps) will ever make you feel safer than you do in the precense of its poorest citizens, you know the chain and the weak link...

When you pay tax for providing education to the poor, instead of sobbing about what is yours you might want to consider that you or your offspring one day might actually run in to them in a dark alley and that paying for giving them self esteem and social security (education) is much more humane, pleasant and financially efficient than building berlin walls everywhere (gated communitys) and providing man, women and children with Colt .45:s...

CAMPYBOB said:
I wish we could deport all pro-2nd amendment people back to england

I would take great pleasure watching you attempt to violate the constitution of the United States of America. About as much as I would enjoy the likes of you trying to deport me. Well, Benedict, you can wish wish in one hand and **** in the other for all I care.

You are a traitor to this country and an affront to the great American men that went before you.

Better the likes of you and your kind jump a boat bound for England. The men there have already handed over their balls to their nanny state and the violent crime rates are soaring. You would fit right in as a willing victim and America would be the better for your leaving.

I'll repeat myself for the slow learners in our midst: The Constitutionally guaranteed right to the security of ME and MY family trumps your lame belief in some fantasy utopia that doesn't exist every damn day of the week.
You gun toters have been spewing your nonsense for too long. You are far more likely to injure a family member than any would be wrongdoer, but you don't realize that because the average pro 2nd amendment brain can only process about 2 lines at a time (Constituation says guns good. Guns good!)

There is a revolution coming good sir; it is called liberalism. One day you will be forced to surrender your weapons of destruction. If you fail to do this we'll see if you peashooter/bicycle combination can outfox a tank. Good day!

**** like this doesn't happen in other countries on a daily basis probably due to an understanding of when one is 'upset vs time to kill' and of course not having guns on them 24/7:

Texas Man Shoots Teen, 15, in Road Rage Incident
Saturday, November 24, 2007

DALLAS — Dallas police say a man shot and killed a 15-year-old after both brandished guns.

Police say they'll refer the death of Frank Vega to a grand jury.

Investigators say 30-year-old Anthony Gray told them he was going home early Friday morning when a teenager in a Cadillac cut him off in the roadway, leading to an argument. Gray says both men pulled out guns.

Police say the teenager didn't fire his weapon.

It's one thing to own a gun, another to HAVE to carry it with you because you are an insecure *****. Of course I can't tell this to your face anymore because you'd shoot me...

Shouldn't this thread be dead by now (pun intended), it's over 3 years old?!

JDOUtlook said:
You gun toters have been spewing your nonsense for too long. You are far more likely to injure a family member than any would be wrongdoer, but you don't realize that because the average pro 2nd amendment brain can only process about 2 lines at a time (Constituation says guns good. Guns good!)

There is a revolution coming good sir; it is called liberalism. One day you will be forced to surrender your weapons of destruction. If you fail to do this we'll see if you peashooter/bicycle combination can outfox a tank. Good day!
Yes, that's what we need. A police state which controls its people with tanks.

Also please provide references for your claim re injuring family members, including some means of sorting out hunting or other sport-related injuries from self-defense-related accidents.

If a .45 cal pistol makes me safer than I would be without one... Would´nt I be even more safer with a M-16? Now, if that would be true, would´nt this guy be even safer:

Howitzer.jpg

But... If that would be true, well, then this guy could really relax and feel safe!!!?
eM224Mortar60mm1.jpg

Then again...
B2_bomber3.jpg

nuclear-bomb-badger.jpg

In the end I just keep asking myself how come everyone is not longing for the kind of quality safety the americans seem to enjoy... :rolleyes:

JDOUtlook said:
There is a revolution coming good sir; it is called liberalism.
So let me see - the signs of this revolution are several decades of more concealed carry laws in more states, reversal of the so-called Assault Weapons Ban and the DC court's nullification of DC's gun ban.

Further liberalization of US gun laws appears to be the near-term safe bet in the US. Meanwhile, the remainder of the "civilized" world will continue to give up arms and try to cajole the US into compliance. You place your bet where you want to, but the odds are looking bleaker every day for the anti-gun crowd here in the US.

You gun toters have been spewing your nonsense for too long. You are far more likely to injure a family member than any would be wrongdoer,

That's funny. I haven't 'injured' anyone since i started shooting at the age of 10. I'm 54...should I expect this event to happen soon???

but you don't realize that because the average pro 2nd amendment brain can only process about 2 lines at a time (Constituation says guns good. Guns good!)

I hold a masters degree in engineering. How's your edu-ma-cation coming? Especially the readin' writin' and spellin' part?

Jeezus H. Tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick! Well, lookee here boys...we got us a real live liberal on the internet!!! A liberal, huh? No foolin?!?! We would have never guessed.

One day you will be forced to surrender your weapons of destruction.

First of all, chickenshit liberal pukes like you couldn't 'force' a 6th grader to 'surrender' a slingshot. Secondly, my weapons haven't destroyed much of anything except game. Still, it's nice to know that should I and they be required to do so, we can reduce bedwetting liberals into piles of quivering jello simply by showing them our eeevil weapons of mass destruction. In fact, it's fun.

If you fail to do this we'll see if you peashooter/bicycle combination can outfox a tank. Good day!

In case you haven't noticed...those tanks and the proud Americans inside them...they're on our side.

I'm gald i don't feel i NEED a gun to navigate within my community, on a bicycle no less.

If i did, after having experienced security and normality, i'd be really unhappy.

I wouldn't want to live somewhere that required carrying a form of lethal force.
The only place that does come to mind is called a war zone.

CAMPYBOB said:
You gun toters have been spewing your nonsense for too long. You are far more likely to injure a family member than any would be wrongdoer,

That's funny. I haven't 'injured' anyone since i started shooting at the age of 10. I'm 54...should I expect this event to happen soon???

but you don't realize that because the average pro 2nd amendment brain can only process about 2 lines at a time (Constituation says guns good. Guns good!)

I hold a masters degree in engineering. How's your edu-ma-cation coming? Especially the readin' writin' and spellin' part?

Jeezus H. Tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick! Well, lookee here boys...we got us a real live liberal on the internet!!! A liberal, huh? No foolin?!?! We would have never guessed.

One day you will be forced to surrender your weapons of destruction.

First of all, chickenshit liberal pukes like you couldn't 'force' a 6th grader to 'surrender' a slingshot. Secondly, my weapons haven't destroyed much of anything except game. Still, it's nice to know that should I and they be required to do so, we can reduce bedwetting liberals into piles of quivering jello simply by showing them our eeevil weapons of mass destruction. In fact, it's fun.

If you fail to do this we'll see if you peashooter/bicycle combination can outfox a tank. Good day!

In case you haven't noticed...those tanks and the proud Americans inside them...they're on our side.
You win this time good sir, but the war is not over! Liberals are strong bunch... our numbers grow larger by the day. Soon we will have enough to put another democrat in the white house.Then some lunatic will commit a terrible gun crime which will be sensationalized by the liberal media and public sentiment will shift against you. When that happens watch out. The only guns you'll be toting then will be shooting silly string!

From there I expect the next battle to be fought over your SUVs and pickups. Tis only a matter of time before they join your guns in the scrap heap...