How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

As a gun owner and collector of numerous handguns, rifles, and Class 3 weapons, I am pleased with the Supremes interpretation and opinion.

I get tired of being bashed by the anti-gun activists, perhaps this will now relieve some of the chatter. I do not carry regulary, but I do conceal carry when my wife and I go out at night. I have never had to use my weapon, but knowing that I have that right and ability is important to me.

I do not go around bashing people for their political views, for supporting this or that, or telling people who they should or should not marry. Please don;t tell me why guns are dangerous or otherwise.

I go through a minimum of 12 full days of handgun, rifle, carbine and shotgun training a year ( 3 days each) with a nationally know instructor. I know how to handle, carry and shoot my weapons. I know the law, my responsibilities and my rights and I am diligent about the same.

Will this issue ever be put to rest, probably not, but for now let's get on with something important like riding our bikes.

Joe West said:
Hi Jeff,

I'm guessing by your response below that you completely disagree with the Supreme Court ruling. I'm not sure what relevance California's gay marriage laws has to this discussion, and I am sure that your question regarding who has actually read the second amendment is rhetorical... what isn't clear to me is what your point is.

To answer your first question below... take a look at our first amendment... one might easily conclude that our first amendment (Freedom of speech just in case you aren't familiar with it) is very closely linked to our second amendment (freedom to keep and bear arms).

I'm not sure if you have read the entire opinion of the court (all 157 pages) but I have. If you read it, I think you'll find that the majority opinion by Scalia is incredibly well layed out and extremely logical, while the minority opinion is a weak hodge-podge of misinformation with little substantive basis.

Do me a favor if you wish to continue this discussion... please read the entire opinion of the court (I'll send it to you if you shoot me an email to [email protected]) and then come back and ask questions. I'd be willing to bet that we could have a somewhat lively debate on the specifics.

Kind Regards,

Joe
Its that long? Wow. I am going to have to put that on the summer reading list. I thought he just announced it on the courthouse steps or something. I still don't know. What does he say the phrase "well regulated militia" means? Does he say who regulates the militia?

I am glad Scalia is protecting our individual rights. I just hope he doesn't take it too far and start messing with Bowers v. Hardwick. You know, the constitution doesn't mention anything about gays having rights. What other rights does Scalia think us straight folk have?

Yes... Scalia actually answers all your questions below. I think you'll find it quite an incredible document and I would highly recommend everyone who is remotely interested give it a read. Email me if you want me to send it to you... it isn't very large (like 940kb).

Joe

Jeff Vader said:
Its that long? Wow. I am going to have to put that on the summer reading list. I thought he just announced it on the courthouse steps or something. I still don't know. What does he say the phrase "well regulated militia" means? Does he say who regulates the militia?

I am glad Scalia is protecting our individual rights. I just hope he doesn't take it too far and start messing with Bowers v. Hardwick. You know, the constitution doesn't mention anything about gays having rights. What other rights does Scalia think us straight folk have?

Joe West said:
Just wondering how many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment? Here in Arizona we can legally carry open and concealed (concealed with permit).

For long distance touring and bicycle camping... I think I'd feel safer carrying my .45 semi-auto pistol (concealed so it doesn't freak people out).

Anyone else carry while biking?

JW
Let me ask this Joe. Do you feel unsafe when riding? Have you ever needed to use your gun for protection or defense?

Hey Joe. Do you have a small gun? Do you feel it is adequate? If its small, is there any way you can compensate for it? Mine is 8.5 inches. I don't know what that is in metric.

Hey Joe. Have you ever seen the fear in the eyes of a person that has just been shot by one of Scalia's protected tools? I have.

Hey Joe. Sorry to talk to you and nobody else. You were just the only person nice enough to tell me about how well Justice Scalia is protecting my civil liberties.

My hometown has 1 handgun murder every day.

Wow, that must mean that there are dozens of liberty loving citizens each day that are shooting the bad guys in the eyes in self defense.

Oh. You know what? There haven't been any reports of a person fending off a bad guy with a gun in this town in many years. Not even a single person has successfully defended themselves with a gun in many years.

Can somebody hang a fern in here. Its kind of drap with all of these people living their lives in fear of some mythical boogie man attacking them while they ride their bikes.

Actually... it is stupid people that scare me, not bad people.

I can predect the things bad people might do, but stupidity is incredibly random, widespread, and unpredictable.

Jeff Vader said:
Is that it Joe? Are you afraid of bad people?

Jeff Vader said:
Oh. You know what? There haven't been any reports of a person fending off a bad guy with a gun in this town in many years. Not even a single person has successfully defended themselves with a gun in many years.
Glad I don't live in your town!

Small minds Joe. Don't waste your time talking to the sheeple. You'll never change their way of following......I mean "thinking". It is a typical liberal ploy. When they no longer have any valid arguments, they begin asking simple questions in order to either discredit or humiliate those who hold an opposing viewpoint. This discourse between you, Mr. Vader, and Mr. Luggage has reached a point where no good can come from answering them, so lets just forget about them, enjoy our guns, and our freedom to protect our own lives and those of our loved ones instead of relying upon the nanny state to take care of our mortal remains....uh....I mean "protect us".

True words indeed... thanks for the feedback.

I find it heartning that the highest court in America sided with you and I... and millions of other Americans who always knew that the framers of our consitution meant for each of us to have the individual right to carry a firearm just as we have the individual right to free speech.

We are free... and hopefully the now unconstitutional anti-firearms laws in this country will begin to tumble down like an ill-built house of cards.

It sure feels nice to be vindicated :)

By the way... the pro-freedom Americans who are reading this should begin to help fund the lawyers from the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, and the like... they will be spending a great deal of money to turn back anti-firearms laws and donations/memberships will be an important source of funding. The tide is turning... lets do everything we can to keep the causes of freedom moving forward.

Joe

kdelong said:
Small minds Joe. Don't waste your time talking to the sheeple. You'll never change their way of following......I mean "thinking". It is a typical liberal ploy. When they no longer have any valid arguments, they begin asking simple questions in order to either discredit or humiliate those who hold an opposing viewpoint. This discourse between you, Mr. Vader, and Mr. Luggage has reached a point where no good can come from answering them, so lets just forget about them, enjoy our guns, and our freedom to protect our own lives and those of our loved ones instead of relying upon the nanny state to take care of our mortal remains....uh....I mean "protect us".

kdelong said:
Has your neighbor ever been shot on your front steps? Vade'rs neighbor has.

Ignoring his questions is just cowardice. Are you afraid that you don't have intelligent answers for them? If so, lets hear them.