How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Joe West said:
True words indeed... thanks for the feedback.

I find it heartning that the highest court in America sided with you and I... and millions of other Americans who always knew that the framers of our consitution meant for each of us to have the individual right to carry a firearm just as we have the individual right to free speech.

We are free... and hopefully the now unconstitutional anti-firearms laws in this country will begin to tumble down like an ill-built house of cards.

It sure feels nice to be vindicated :)

By the way... the pro-freedom Americans who are reading this should begin to help fund the lawyers from the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, and the like... they will be spending a great deal of money to turn back anti-firearms laws and donations/memberships will be an important source of funding. The tide is turning... lets do everything we can to keep the causes of freedom moving forward.

Joe
I take it that you want to make sure that we American citizens have freedom, right? Do you think we should be free to burn the flag?

Frigo's Luggage said:
Has your neighbor ever been shot on your front steps? Vade'rs neighbor has.

Ignoring his questions is just cowardice. Are you afraid that you don't have intelligent answers for them? If so, lets hear them.
If Vader's neighbor had been armed, he might not have been shot on Vader's front steps. I know that I was armed, thankfully, when I needed to be (see post #2155).

As for seeing someone shot, yes, I have. I served in the US Military and lost close friends to firearms. I have had my share of holding a buddy who is dying. Don't give me any of your ******** about how ignoring someone's question is cowardice! No, my friend, there is no fear here. I have preserved our freedom, my life, and the lives of those that I love with firearms. Had it not been for the Second Amendment, I most probably would not be here today, and you probably would not either. So, as far as I am concerned, gun ownership by law abiding, responsible private citizens is a good thing and I seroiusly doubt that you could ever change my mind. End of discussion!

Frigo's Luggage said:
I take it that you want to make sure that we American citizens have freedom, right? Do you think we should be free to burn the flag?
Burn the flag if you want to, you are free to do so. It is only a symbol, probably made in China anyway. As a matter of fact, I think that there should be a law that a flag must be burned shortly after being displayed so that it would not be an issue. Anyway, if you choose to burn the flag, you must bear the consequences(it makes some people very angry), so you probably should have a gun with you when you set it on fire.

kdelong said:
If Vader's neighbor had been armed, he might not have been shot on Vader's front steps. I know that I was armed, thankfully, when I needed to be (see post #2155).

As for seeing someone shot, yes, I have. I served in the US Military and lost close friends to firearms. I have had my share of holding a buddy who is dying. Don't give me any of your ******** about how ignoring someone's question is cowardice! No, my friend, there is no fear here. I have preserved our freedom, my life, and the lives of those that I love with firearms. Had it not been for the Second Amendment, I most probably would not be here today, and you probably would not either. So, as far as I am concerned, gun ownership by law abiding, responsible private citizens is a good thing and I seroiusly doubt that you could ever change my mind. End of discussion!
Did the guy that broke into your house have a gun?

cbjesseeNH said:
Typical...

1. Anti-gun proponent makes an unsupported statment
2. Pro-gun proponent counters with peer-reviewed, published studies and statistics
3. Anti-gun proponent doesn't look at the study/data, dismissing it as biased and unreliable
4. Anti-gun proponent insults pro-gun proponent, all pro-gun proponents, their whole city/state/country.
5. Anti-gun proponent figures they won the debate. :rolleyes:

But I'm right aren't I. :)

Did the guy that broke into your house have a gun?

WTF difference does it make?!?!

You break into a house that doesn't belong to you, there's a damn good chance you'll end up with a sucking chest wound.

Stupid SHOULD hurt.

Look. I've owned guns. My family owns lots of guns. I understand hunting and claybirds and all that ****.

I get ****** off at people that think there shouldn't be any restrictions on guns because it is their freakin god given right to protect themselves. How many of you think that there should be no limitations on who can own a gun? How many of you own guns for protection? If you do, don't you realize that a family member is more likely to die because of your gun than you are use it for protection. Don't you realize that the inner cities of America are being ripped apart by gun violence. Not because people that live in cities love guns and own alot of them. Its because all you suburban folks don't want any restrictions on your ability to stockpile weaponry.

I think many of you guns advocates are afraid of something and it pisses me off. You guys are so patriotic and flag waving but are afraid of the boogey man. Come on. Give me a break. Grow some balls and ride your freakin bikes without carrying a freakin gun. You guys that carry a gun on your bike are wimps that are overcompensating for some deep seeded inadequacy. Cowards. I am not afraid to ride my bike without a gun. I am more of a man without a gun than you will ever be with one.

Spend a few minutes and read Scalia's opinion... I believe you'll have a great indication on why the framers of our Constitution wanted Americans to have the "god given right" to keep and bear arms.

I don't understand why you seethe over the freedoms that belong to others... if you don't want to carry a firearm; don't. If you want to burn a flag... burn. If you want to tear pages out of the bible and burn them... do it. Don't wear a seatbelt, ride your bicycle without a helmet... simply put:

Do.
Whatever.
You.
Want.
To.
Do.

As long as you are willing to pay the consequences, for goodness sake... let yourself be free.

Here's the one thing you can't do:

Don't try to limit anyone's freedoms for any reason.

Once again... please read the entire majority opinion of the case; you will be enlightened beyond belief at the intellectual prowess of the majority of our Supreme Court.

I would also suggest that it is far easier to be taken seriously in a discussion if you don't resort to name calling because of your inability to articulate without turning your point into a personal attack on those you disagree with.

Joe

Frigo's Luggage said:
Look. I've owned guns. My family owns lots of guns. I understand hunting and claybirds and all that ****.

I get ****** off at people that think there shouldn't be any restrictions on guns because it is their freakin god given right to protect themselves. How many of you think that there should be no limitations on who can own a gun? How many of you own guns for protection? If you do, don't you realize that a family member is more likely to die because of your gun than you are use it for protection. Don't you realize that the inner cities of America are being ripped apart by gun violence. Not because people that live in cities love guns and own alot of them. Its because all you suburban folks don't want any restrictions on your ability to stockpile weaponry.

I think many of you guns advocates are afraid of something and it pisses me off. You guys are so patriotic and flag waving but are afraid of the boogey man. Come on. Give me a break. Grow some balls and ride your freakin bikes without carrying a freakin gun. You guys that carry a gun on your bike are wimps that are overcompensating for some deep seeded inadequacy. Cowards. I am not afraid to ride my bike without a gun. I am more of a man without a gun than you will ever be with one.

I understand hunting and claybirds and all that ****.

Mr. Frigo...may I call you Dario?...the second admendment has NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING. Or sporting clays. Or target shooting. You actually "understand" little, from what I'm reading.

I get ****** off at people that think there shouldn't be any restrictions on guns because it is their freakin god given right to protect themselves.

Uh, it IS my God given right to defend myself from life's morons.

Dario, Folks like YOU do not 'grant' me that right. It comes from a higher authority than the likes of you and your kind. "We hold these truths to be self-evident..." In other words, I just don't give a rat's behind about your opinion regarding my right to keep and bear arms. Neither, apparantly, does the Supreme Court.

How many of you think that there should be no limitations on who can own a gun?

Well. I feel that liberals that can't control their emotions even on the intarweb shouldn't come within five miles of such an inanimate object as a deadly ol' firearm. Or a car. Or a baseball bat. Or a steak knife. Lord knows what havoc they could wreck upon us in one of their emotional rages. I prefer that men of reason be the firearm owners.

How many of you own guns for protection?

<waves hand> oooo! oooo! pick me, teacher, pick me!!!

If you do, don't you realize that a family member is more likely to die because of your gun than you are use it for protection.

Uh, no they're not. They are trained to shoot center mass until the threat is stopped. They are taught situational awareness and tactics, target identification, room clearing, the law and the constitution. They practice safe firearm handling. They practice hitting their target reliably under all sorts of conditions. They practice, practice, practice.

Might I ask of you...How many of you drive cars for transportation? If you do, don't you realize that a family member is more likely to die because of your car than you are use it for transportation (I know...his original sentence structure makes no sense PRIOR to changing the words!).

Don't you realize that the inner cities of America are being ripped apart by gun violence.

It just breaks my heart to see tribal cultures resorting to the same behavior they've displayed since...Cain killed Able. You want to stop those thugs? Step right up to the plate. Stop typing and go out and preach the straight and narrow to them. I'm sure they'll listen attentively.

Not because people that live in cities love guns and own alot of them. Its because all you suburban folks don't want any restrictions on your ability to stockpile weaponry.

Huh? It's because I own a firearm that the gang members of MS13 own firearms??? Que?

I think many of you guns advocates are afraid of something and it pisses me off.

I'm afraid of very little in life, but I do enjoy reading the **** that ****** off liberals post on the intarweb. Actually, your emotional responses to rational points are cause for some concern. Your rage oozes from your keyboard. Better that than a firearm I suppose.

You guys are so patriotic and flag waving but are afraid of the boogey man. Come on. Give me a break. Grow some balls and ride your freakin bikes without carrying a freakin gun. You guys that carry a gun on your bike are wimps that are overcompensating for some deep seeded inadequacy. Cowards. I am not afraid to ride my bike without a gun. I am more of a man without a gun than you will ever be with one.

To tell you the truth, I'm not afraid for you riding unarmed either. It's your life and your choice. Please do be sure to name me as heir to all your Campagnolo items though.

Joe West said:
Spend a few minutes and read Scalia's opinion... I believe you'll have a great indication on why the framers of our Constitution wanted Americans to have the "god given right" to keep and bear arms.

I don't understand why you seethe over the freedoms that belong to others... if you don't want to carry a firearm; don't. If you want to burn a flag... burn. If you want to tear pages out of the bible and burn them... do it. Don't wear a seatbelt, ride your bicycle without a helmet... simply put:

Do.
Whatever.
You.
Want.
To.
Do.

As long as you are willing to pay the consequences, for goodness sake... let yourself be free.

Here's the one thing you can't do:

Don't try to limit anyone's freedoms for any reason.

Once again... please read the entire majority opinion of the case; you will be enlightened beyond belief at the intellectual prowess of the majority of our Supreme Court.

I would also suggest that it is far easier to be taken seriously in a discussion if you don't resort to name calling because of your inability to articulate without turning your point into a personal attack on those you disagree with.

Joe
Joe,

It would be easier to take you seriously if you ever posted anything about cycling other than as it relates to guns. What type of recumbant do you ride?

All those big words in the majority opinion kind of scare and frighten me. I just can't get at what he is talking about. Who are the federalists anyway?

I was browsing through the internet looking for a good soil substitute for my tuberous sword when I stumbled upon this concept by John Stuart Mill. Have you ever heard of him? Now don't go googling him and looking up his wiki page so that you can say you know who he is. Turns out that, in addition to his well known love of ferns, he was one of these hybrow thinker types. Anyhow, he has this way out notion that individual rights stop when they start interfering with other people's rights. So, by this crazy logic, you could come to the conclusion that the epidemic of gun related murders in this country warrants restricting access to firearms. I am sure that the murdered people and their families do not think that the right to bear arms is limitless.

I could be wrong.

This world is sometimes scarry. I saw this guy sing a song one time where he said that his friends were vampires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueX_O01CXU Pretty scarry. Are your bullets made out of silver. I hope so. Everybody is afraid of vampires.

Jeff Vader said:
Joe,

It would be easier to take you seriously if you ever posted anything about cycling other than as it relates to guns. What type of recumbant do you ride?

All those big words in the majority opinion kind of scare and frighten me. I just can't get at what he is talking about. Who are the federalists anyway?

I was browsing through the internet looking for a good soil substitute for my tuberous sword when I stumbled upon this concept by John Stuart Mill. Have you ever heard of him? Now don't go googling him and looking up his wiki page so that you can say you know who he is. Turns out that, in addition to his well known love of ferns, he was one of these hybrow thinker types. Anyhow, he has this way out notion that individual rights stop when they start interfering with other people's rights. So, by this crazy logic, you could come to the conclusion that the epidemic of gun related murders in this country warrants restricting access to firearms. I am sure that the murdered people and their families do not think that the right to bear arms is limitless.

I could be wrong.

This world is sometimes scarry. I saw this guy sing a song one time where he said that his friends were vampires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueX_O01CXU Pretty scarry. Are your bullets made out of silver. I hope so. Everybody is afraid of vampires.
Man. You are just a ****ing lunatic. Go back to your liberal hole and die. The man is speaking logically to you and you are talking about vampires. Try debating the facts and read Saclia's opinion. It is a real eye opener. He is protecting your civil rights whether you know it or not. The government has no right to interfere in my life.

I'm a bit confused Jeff.

You can't take me seriously because I don't post anything related to cycling (this is a bit of a stretch but I'll hang with you for a few sentences)

Do a search on this forum for "Americano" and I do indeed believe you'll find some posts that (using your logic) will allow you to take me seriously. In addition, you search will answer your question about what kind of bicycle I ride.

Now that you can take me seriously... let's discuss Mr. Mills for a minute...

"Individual rights stop when they start interfering with other people's rights"

In a free market society, one could easily argue (as I am about to) that the act of simply existing "interferes with other people's rights".

How so?

Let's start with a fairly common economic presumption that "all things of value are scarce"... meaning; if an object is valuable to a society; it is available in limited quantities.

Some examples of valuable goods:

Food
Water (in some regions)
Gold
Land
Bicycles

In the act of consuming (using... taking off the market) a good, I make it unavalable to everyone else in my society. By my act of consumption, I have "interfered" with the rights of everyone else who may have wanted to consume that good in my society by using it for myself. Do you see where I'm headed?

In ANY society... human interactions are RIFE with people interfering on the rights of other people and such interactions are absolutely impossible to stop.

So... who decides what is right for the society and who should have their freedoms limited?

Is it a simple majority vote?
Is it determined by the strength of the participants?
Perhaps by the group who is fastest on their bicycles?

Who decides what freedoms should be limited?

Is it by a 2/3rds majority vote?
Is it by who has the most money?
Is it by the most educated of the masses?

Imagine the mess we are very quickly in... everyone is complaining that someone else is "interfering with their rights" in a way that is a negative impact to society... rules are passed (let's call them laws)... freedoms quickly taken away as the masses determine (by some means) that more and more rights are a negative impact to society. Soon... everyone's right to do anything is stripped away by the group who is granted the right to be the enforcer of what's good for society (let's call that rule Government).

Smoking is BAD for society... let's outlaw smoking!!!

Riding in cars without using your seatbelt is bad for society... let's mandate seatbelt laws!

Not using a helmet on a motorcycle is bad for society... let's mandate the use of a helmet!!

Guns are bad for society... outlaw guns!!!

One after one... the masses clamor for the elimination of personal rights to "benefit" society.

One by one... freedoms fall and people are no longer free to make their own choices.

Sound familiar?

Mr. Mills has it ALL wrong and his ideas are spectacularly short-sighted.

Any society that seeks to reduce the freedoms of "the few"for the benefit of the masses will soon find itself with a society that is anything BUT free.

How about a much simpler idea (from the great mind of Joe West, one of those hybrow thinker types)...

How about we start with the premise that:

Everyone.
Is.
Free.
To.
Do.
Whatever.
They.
Want.
To.
Do.

As long as it doesn't violate the following single rule:

1. You can't limit the freedoms of any other individual.

So... murder is out becasue you clearly limit the freedom of someone if you murder them.

Theft is out because you limit the freedom of someone to do what they want with their personal property if you steal it.

Rape is out since you clearly limit the freedom of someone while you are raping them.

Well... you get the picture.

Now that we have the "anti-anarchy" rule out of the way...

You are now free to do anything you want.

Smoke, drink, get high, run with scissors, stick your fingers in a light socket.

As long as you stick to the rule (we call it the personal property right rule and it is what makes free-markets exist) you are really free!

Listen closely to me.

Governments DO NOT grant Freedoms and governments DO NOT have the right to take them away.

The creator (whatever or whoever she/he may be) granted us to be free to do whatever we want to do and no entity has the power to take that freedom away from us.

Some of us certainly can give our freedoms away if we choose (such as voting for a helmet law).

Others have our freedoms stripped by our Governments (the "few" who control the masses)

Still others give away their freedoms and then demand that Governments take freedoms from others so that they can feel "Safe".

Does anyone really think that laws should be created to keep people from hurting themselves? For crying out loud... if you want to fry your brain on drugs; help yourself... the world needs McDonald's workers. If you want to split your skull on the pavement because you don't like helmets... help yourself!

No sir... Mr. Mills was not a very lucid thinker at all thinks I.

Let me re-write Mr. Mills concept in a form I find palatable:

The rights of an individual stop when they die.

I am incredibly happy to see that there are others on this forum who think like I do. I write what I do mostly for them... because I know they will read these words and understand just as I read their words and understand.

Those of you who read what I write and think to yourself "this gentlemen is absolutely mad"...

Go to the search function on this forum and type the word "Americano"
<grin>

Joe

Jeff Vader said:
Joe,

I could be wrong.

Another 'gunz gone wild' story in the news...

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI53001/

One dead scumbag and one wounded/in custody thanks to a 71-year old citizen that stood up for the splineless wimps in society.

Yeah, and I'll bet the old Marines has probably killed and injured hundreds of family members too...oh brother.

Joe West said:
I'm a bit confused Jeff.

You can't take me seriously because I don't post anything related to cycling (this is a bit of a stretch but I'll hang with you for a few sentences)

Do a search on this forum for "Americano" and I do indeed believe you'll find some posts that (using your logic) will allow you to take me seriously. In addition, you search will answer your question about what kind of bicycle I ride.

Now that you can take me seriously... let's discuss Mr. Mills for a minute...

"Individual rights stop when they start interfering with other people's rights"

In a free market society, one could easily argue (as I am about to) that the act of simply existing "interferes with other people's rights".

How so?

Let's start with a fairly common economic presumption that "all things of value are scarce"... meaning; if an object is valuable to a society; it is available in limited quantities.

Some examples of valuable goods:

Food
Water (in some regions)
Gold
Land
Bicycles

In the act of consuming (using... taking off the market) a good, I make it unavalable to everyone else in my society. By my act of consumption, I have "interfered" with the rights of everyone else who may have wanted to consume that good in my society by using it for myself. Do you see where I'm headed?

In ANY society... human interactions are RIFE with people interfering on the rights of other people and such interactions are absolutely impossible to stop.

So... who decides what is right for the society and who should have their freedoms limited?

Is it a simple majority vote?
Is it determined by the strength of the participants?
Perhaps by the group who is fastest on their bicycles?

Who decides what freedoms should be limited?

Is it by a 2/3rds majority vote?
Is it by who has the most money?
Is it by the most educated of the masses?

Imagine the mess we are very quickly in... everyone is complaining that someone else is "interfering with their rights" in a way that is a negative impact to society... rules are passed (let's call them laws)... freedoms quickly taken away as the masses determine (by some means) that more and more rights are a negative impact to society. Soon... everyone's right to do anything is stripped away by the group who is granted the right to be the enforcer of what's good for society (let's call that rule Government).

Smoking is BAD for society... let's outlaw smoking!!!

Riding in cars without using your seatbelt is bad for society... let's mandate seatbelt laws!

Not using a helmet on a motorcycle is bad for society... let's mandate the use of a helmet!!

Guns are bad for society... outlaw guns!!!

One after one... the masses clamor for the elimination of personal rights to "benefit" society.

One by one... freedoms fall and people are no longer free to make their own choices.

Sound familiar?

Mr. Mills has it ALL wrong and his ideas are spectacularly short-sighted.

Any society that seeks to reduce the freedoms of "the few"for the benefit of the masses will soon find itself with a society that is anything BUT free.

How about a much simpler idea (from the great mind of Joe West, one of those hybrow thinker types)...

How about we start with the premise that:

Everyone.
Is.
Free.
To.
Do.
Whatever.
They.
Want.
To.
Do.

As long as it doesn't violate the following single rule:

1. You can't limit the freedoms of any other individual.

So... murder is out becasue you clearly limit the freedom of someone if you murder them.

Theft is out because you limit the freedom of someone to do what they want with their personal property if you steal it.

Rape is out since you clearly limit the freedom of someone while you are raping them.

Well... you get the picture.

Now that we have the "anti-anarchy" rule out of the way...

You are now free to do anything you want.

Smoke, drink, get high, run with scissors, stick your fingers in a light socket.

As long as you stick to the rule (we call it the personal property right rule and it is what makes free-markets exist) you are really free!

Listen closely to me.

Governments DO NOT grant Freedoms and governments DO NOT have the right to take them away.

The creator (whatever or whoever she/he may be) granted us to be free to do whatever we want to do and no entity has the power to take that freedom away from us.

Some of us certainly can give our freedoms away if we choose (such as voting for a helmet law).

Others have our freedoms stripped by our Governments (the "few" who control the masses)

Still others give away their freedoms and then demand that Governments take freedoms from others so that they can feel "Safe".

Does anyone really think that laws should be created to keep people from hurting themselves? For crying out loud... if you want to fry your brain on drugs; help yourself... the world needs McDonald's workers. If you want to split your skull on the pavement because you don't like helmets... help yourself!

No sir... Mr. Mills was not a very lucid thinker at all thinks I.

Let me re-write Mr. Mills concept in a form I find palatable:

The rights of an individual stop when they die.

I am incredibly happy to see that there are others on this forum who think like I do. I write what I do mostly for them... because I know they will read these words and understand just as I read their words and understand.

Those of you who read what I write and think to yourself "this gentlemen is absolutely mad"...

Go to the search function on this forum and type the word "Americano"
<grin>

Joe
Oh man. That is so cool. A gun, a Porsche and a touring bike. Cool.

Hi All,

As luck would have it, I'm in Washington DC this week in a political science class for my MBA. I've only been able to discuss the Supreme Court ruling with the Taxi driver who took me to the hotel here in DC, but it was pretty clear that he hadn't given the ruling much thought (which I'm sure is understandable when you work 12 hours a day to make a living as a cab driver... not much free time to think about such luxury items as Supreme Court rulings).

Tomorrow my class meets with some senators but unfortunately, all are Republican and share similar views to mine when it comes to second amendment freedoms so I doubt there will be much lively debate on the topic.

One thing that was pretty cool to see here was the large number of bicycles on the streets... back in Phoenix it is rare to see bicycles downtown but here in DC, they are all over the place.

Joe

Joe West said:
One thing that was pretty cool to see here was the large number of bicycles on the streets... back in Phoenix it is rare to see bicycles downtown but here in DC, they are all over the place.

Joe
Great! At least one other good thing, besides the Supreme Court Ruling, is happening in Washington:)! BTW- doesn't "W" ride? Anyone know what bike he rides?

kdelong said:
Great! At least one other good thing, besides the Supreme Court Ruling, is happening in Washington:)! BTW- doesn't "W" ride? Anyone know what bike he rides?

which supreme court ruling are you guys referring to?

gd

Heller v. The District of Columbia

A security guard by the name of Heller maintained the pistol ban in DC was unconstitutional as it violated his 2nd Amendment rights to individual firearm ownership.

The court agreed with Heller.

I've only been able to discuss the Supreme Court ruling with the Taxi driver who took me to the hotel here in DC, but it was pretty clear that he hadn't given the ruling much thought (which I'm sure is understandable when you work 12 hours a day to make a living as a cab driver... not much free time to think about such luxury items as Supreme Court rulings).

Most cabbies carry a pistol. Most carry one illegally. They work one of the most dangerous professions in our cities...and the robbery statistics back this up.

CAMPYBOB said:
Most cabbies carry a pistol. Most carry one illegally. They work one of the most dangerous professions in our cities...and the robbery statistics back this up.

oh, yeah. and not JUST robberies, but tantrums as well..you might recall an incident in chicago few years back where some guy (passenger) lost his nut and ended up driving a cabbie's own cab over him.

3 or 4 times, just to make sure.

wierd.

I'd never drive cab, that's for sure.

zeke