How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

carrying gun? well that certainly is crazy at my part of the world. Police as it is are corrupt they just need reasons to haress common people. And carrying a gun be it licence one is one and the same thing for them

I don't carry since I live in one of the two states (WI & IL) that are backward and don't have a concealed permit process. But if I was able to carry I would echo what a previous blogger said about the Kel-Tec P3AT. I like the Kel-Tec .32 though. Since riding is weight sensitive we make compromises. Sure a 45 auto will stop a 400lb meth freak in his tracks, but the .32 will do just fine with a well placed shot. If the entire weight of the Kel-Tec is a bit more than just a single loaded .45 clip - it's not much more. We're talking light. And very flat. I bet it wouldn't feel too much different than a cell phone in one's jersey pocket. I do like what the police officer said about being aware, it's probably the most important self defense tactic.

Wow, this wouldn't be allowed in OZ, but a problem I see is what if the meth-making skinhead or the vagrant squatter were packing an equivalent weapon?

There are certainly alot of idiots around, though /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jats . But if I was able to carry I would echo what a previous blogger said about the Kel-Tec P3AT. I like the Kel-Tec .32 though.
IMO, the recoil on the P3AT is too snappy for the tiny grips. The P32 has extended mags available with a grip extension that actually makes it fit my hands, so I can put 10 rounds in a 5" target at normal defensive ranges as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Wow, this wouldn't be allowed in OZ, but a problem I see is what if the meth-making skinhead or the vagrant squatter were packing an equivalent weapon?
Then wouldn't it be better for the potential victim to have one as well? Criminals will get guns, whether honest folk are allowed to or not.

Must be alot easier to get hand guns, etc, where you are than it is in OZ. Glad I don't have to worry about these sort of requirements
frown.gif

Originally Posted by jackson123 .

I don't think a gun is necesary for riding.
You're probably right, but if you found that it was necessary, wouldn't you rather have it with you instead of sitting at home in your gun safe?

Arizona recently passed a law that allows any citizen to carry concealed without a license. I think we are now one of three states that allow this. If you are a cyclist in Arizona, you can now carry concealed while riding without having to have a license. Gotta love Arizona! :)

[SIZE= 9px]So does that mean anybody can get a handgun, even crazies, criminals, lunatics, etc. [/SIZE]IMO, that's one way to slow down population growth and ensure innocent people get hurt/affected.

But then again there are alot more intelligent people than me around, just ask them /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif especially the fanatical ones!

Finally, another state with respect for the constitution.

That being said, I am uncomfortable with untrained citizens running around with a loaded gun. I am an NRA certified instructor, only for purposes of teaching prospective members of my club's pistol team. I am also a CRO (Certified Range Officer) both with my gun club, and the competition league my team is part of.

Some of the worst firearm handling, safety, and gun ettiquette, I've seen has been by people who've had permits for a long time without active competition or range use. The thought of citizens with NO training requirements at all, carrying a loaded gun, seems like a recipe for accidents.

One way to fix this gap, would be to reinstitute firearms training in the schools, resurrect high school rifle teams, and offer training in Adult Education programs.

Still, Kudos to AZ for respecting your constitutional rights.

Yes I agree, all hand guns and rifles should be locked up at the local gun/rifle clubs were they are secure and ready for use if required. Those who are really interested in learning how to use said hand guns/rifles can do so under supervision of the gun/rifle club. That way the maniacs and fanatics can be kept under control and the weapons won't be able to be taken to schools, shopping centre carparks, service stations, 7/11s, etc, because they will be secure and ready for use if required at the local gun/rifle club. The good thing is that trained persons will be using them and they won't be using them on us
smile.gif

Constitutional rights I believe are respected by doing this, as is your constitutional right to be able to walk/bike/drive/park without worrying about whether someone is carrying a concealed weapon or not and ready to mug or rob you
smile.gif

(Sorry, I don't know why the above posts are there, but I can't delete them /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif)

Apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said but although have read a number of pages I don't fancy reading all 220 pages of comments
I live in England and have never visited America and this thread is really hard to get my head round
I can honestly say that the issue of which weapon to carry whist cycling has NEVER came up on any of our training rides
It's a shame that anyone has to (If indeed has, is the right word) consider this question before going on a bike ride of any sort
Maybe I should start feeling more grateful that my main dangers are usually bad drivers and bad weather!!

Originally Posted by KLabs .

(snip) all hand guns and rifles should be locked up at the local gun/rifle clubs were they are secure and ready for use if required. (snip)
A gun that's locked in a safe halfway across town is only useful for training purposes. The one in the safe under my bed will be much more useful when someone kicks in my front door. Again.

Most of the guys I've competed against, carry concealed guns, and can hit a coffee cup 50ft away. There haven't been any shoot-outs at any of the twelve clubs in our league.

We're not the people you need to be worried about.

Originally Posted by Mattcreed .

Apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said but although have read a number of pages I don't fancy reading all 220 pages of comments
I live in England and have never visited America and this thread is really hard to get my head round
I can honestly say that the issue of which weapon to carry whist cycling has NEVER came up on any of our training rides
It's a shame that anyone has to (If indeed has, is the right word) consider this question before going on a bike ride of any sort
Maybe I should start feeling more grateful that my main dangers are usually bad drivers and bad weather

This thread doesn't give you an accurate sampling of cyclists in the US. I live in the gun-loving state of Alabama, which has a high rate of gun ownership, plenty of gun stores selling bargains, and lax regulations. Of all the cyclists I know here, even those with concealed-carry permits, none of them carries a gun while riding his bike. The main dangers here are the bad drivers, other cyclists, and loose dogs. In fact, based on my experience riding with a lot of club cyclists over the years, you're much more likely to be taken out by one of your own group, or even a deer (that's happened twice). No one (out of dozens riding every weekend) has faced an armed assault or ever been shot at.

The real threat we all face is of course negligent and aggressive drivers. Sadly here in the south, criminally-negligent drivers aren't prosecuted for hitting and killing cyclists. There have been three cases locally in the last three years where drivers were not charged. One of these was a good friend of mine. When people talk about "respecting the constitution", they need to also think about enforcement of laws which protect our rights to ride on the road. In the UK, believe you have the "strict liability" concept which holds vehicle drivers responsible for hitting a cyclist. Here, we get "bike route" or "share the road" signs, but no legal enforcement of our rights. The general attitude is that cyclists really don't belong on the roads, so if they get hit or killed, it's basically their own fault.

Originally Posted by jackson123 .

I don't think a gun is necesary for riding.

A fire extinguisher isn't necessary for cooking, nor is a seat belt really necessary for driving. Until that unexpected problem arises, that is.

I saw an old photo taken about 1930 of a tricycle, being demonstrated by an English chap (with an absolutely determined expression and wearing a bowler hat) equipped with twin machine guns (probably 303 calibre) with some armour plate in front. A fast, mobile, MG weapons system it said. Sadly, recoil turned out to be a bit of a problem. I've since lost the photo. Anyone ?

Dude, that is awsome that you are packin! Not sure about the retarded state that I live in right now (cali). I looked it up once and only a handfull of people in this state are authorized to carry and obtain concealed weaponse permit. But for road bikers on tours, especially women, ya'll need to just suck up that extra weight of the gun and start carrying one (Molestars, rapists, theives, Mountain Lions!) I stay in the city so I don't think that I have much to worry about. But I can see where some places would definately need on. Oh, and I commend you on your choice of gun .45 Cal Semi Auto (whatever gets hit with that just doesn't get up and walk away. LOL