How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Montague Bike owners can actually buy an rifle / shotgun rack for their bicycles.
www.montaguebike.com

If we were allowed to carry guns in the UK i would love to carry a CAR-15 and pop some mofo's who tried to run me over.

But seriously I guess if you live in the USA its your constitutional right

I must say, today the bogans were out in force. Here in Victoria Australia 1 in 48 drivers returned a positive drug test over the last 12 months. Today 3hrs on the bike, I reckon 10-15 times I thought about this thread..../img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

Dude, thank you so much for that question. I am not an aggressive person however I am outraged by the fact that cars can honk at you and even pull a middle finger for no reason. I own 5 cars. I pay plenty of registration money to maintain the roads. When I get on my bicycle, I expect to ride in peace. I thought to hang my gun behind the seat ( instead of the spare tire bag) so people can clearly see it.
I would like to see how many people would honk, or finger, or fly by close to my elbow?

Anybody with me?

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Yes I agree, all hand guns and rifles should be locked up at the local gun/rifle clubs were they are secure and ready for use if required. Those who are really interested in learning how to use said hand guns/rifles can do so under supervision of the gun/rifle club. That way the maniacs and fanatics can be kept under control and the weapons won't be able to be taken to schools, shopping centre carparks, service stations, 7/11s, etc, because they will be secure and ready for use if required at the local gun/rifle club. The good thing is that trained persons will be using them and they won't be using them on us
smile.gif

Constitutional rights I believe are respected by doing this, as is your constitutional right to be able to walk/bike/drive/park without worrying about whether someone is carrying a concealed weapon or not and ready to mug or rob you
smile.gif

(Sorry, I don't know why the above posts are there, but I can't delete them /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif)
You have a lot to learn about the constitution, very sad is the state of your education.

Sorry I did not realize that you from Australia and would not know the meaning of the US Constitution. You are from a country that has already stripped those rights from it's citizens.

Reactions: KD5NRH
I have braze on mounts under my top tube for carrying an AK 47. I think if you're going to do something, do it right. Handguns are for sissys. Concealing it is cheating.
If you wanted to, you could ask your local framebuilder to do the same but if you are riding a compact frame then I would suggest just fitting a Desert Eagle Hand Cannon as it takes up less space and is probably more aerodynamic than the AK.
Hey in the middle east there are guys driving scooters with C4 under the seat, why not try that on your fixie?

Well, here in my country, it is illegal to pocess an an arm...But i would really like to get one though.Sometimes you can meet with pretty dangerous people.They can simply get in their cars and try to purposely kill you.There is a long hill near my neighbhorhood, thiefs just hide them, and when you are climbing, they simply get out and attack you; as it is a very steep portion, its pretty hard to get faster, assuming that you are already at your threshold ;).For the moment, a pocket knife is good enough...

Thats cool!, why not purposely build a frame with a grenade launcher adapter?!, you could add some bioweapon in the water bottle, maybe two automatic guns; one on each STI shifters....Include some laser and targeting radar in the sunglasses and you set a supreme warmachine....

Yeah, sometimes drivers get away with murder here too.

"in my country, it is illegal to pocess an an arm"
How do you apply the brakes? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

(Theives attack you on the hills)
Are you allowed to carry Mace, CS, or Pepper Spray? Like for dogs?

Simmske, I carry concealed on the bike. I think being openly threatening invites trouble, and since you're looking in front of you, you won't see trouble coming. You will have lost any element of surprise. You really only get to defend yourself if you see it coming (or coming back again).
""""

Wow, so if you're on a group ride with 40-50 guys all packing heat there's no ****ing with you is there. Scary....

Originally Posted by xavdl .

Thats cool!, why not purposely build a frame with a grenade launcher adapter?!, you could add some bioweapon in the water bottle, maybe two automatic guns; one on each STI shifters....Include some laser and targeting radar in the sunglasses and you set a supreme warmachine....

Leave the bioweapons in waterbottles to the Protour riders. Ricco was carrying some dangerous substances around in his bidon. Dont think it would be classed as WMD though.

For those of you that do carry concealed, where do you put it? For a smaller pistol I could see it going in the back pocket, but just wanted to see if anyone had come up with some ingenious ideas.

Originally Posted by wechelle .

For those of you that do carry concealed, where do you put it? For a smaller pistol I could see it going in the back pocket, but just wanted to see if anyone had come up with some ingenious ideas.

If I'm actually going somewhere, I wear cargo shorts over the bike shorts so I don't have to fish my wallet out of the seat bag when I get there. For those times, it's either a P32 in the cargo pocket, or a .357 snub in a belt holster under a reflector vest. If I'm just riding for fun, the P32 goes in the top bar bag.

Originally Posted by KD5NRH .

If I'm actually going somewhere, I wear cargo shorts over the bike shorts so I don't have to fish my wallet out of the seat bag when I get there. For those times, it's either a P32 in the cargo pocket, or a .357 snub in a belt holster under a reflector vest. If I'm just riding for fun, the P32 goes in the top bar bag.

Don't argue with the cyclist wearing cargo shorts! If he doesn't want to ride on the front then he doesn't have to..... Everybody else, roll through.
He's not just happy to see you, that actually is a gun in his pocket!

Don't worry I am not packing a 44 magnum , I am just enjoying riding behind the hot chick on the Bianchi.

Originally Posted by wechelle .

Currently I use a cotton shoulder holster (Kangaroo Concealed Carry) under a full zip jersey. Without the jersey, it looks stupid, like a man-sierre, but it works well for the recumbent position, now that I moved the straps around a little, and tighted the pocket for my 3" J-frame. The Kangaroos are cheaply made, and might require personalization, but I really like mine, and you can just toss it in the laundry when it gets nasty (and it will, if you use it much).

It's too bad one of the bra companies hasn't gotten into the concealed carry holster business.

Kramer and 5-11 Tactical both make t-shirts, with built in armpit holster pockets. I've never tried them, but I suspect they'd be too warm under a cycling jersey in warm weather.

For upright bikes, DeSantis makes the "Gunny Sack", a waist pack with a quick-access holster. Mine has both small and medium-frame holster inserts.

Camelbak used to make the Goblin (jogging) and Demon (day hikes) hydration packs with built in holsters, but they were discontined. I bought one of the last Demons available for a friend, and he likes it for hiking. If you can find a Goblin used, it might be good for cycling.

Originally Posted by Tackdriver56 .
For upright bikes, DeSantis makes the "Gunny Sack", a waist pack with a quick-access holster. Mine has both small and medium-frame holster inserts.
Another option worth looking into along those lines would be the SafePacker runner's setup: http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=1394&parent=171 It's a bit pricey since it doesn't actually include the SafePacker itself, but I've heard good reviews of the product.

I haven't tried the SafePacker, but I do have two Wilderness Tactical Instructor belts, and they're great products.

Sorry guys and gals... you're missing the point. Concealment is not the answer. Big, bad, scary, "get off my ass" tactics will work only with large, (yeah I know, heavy) caliber weapons openly displayed. Motorists (or dogs) intent on exterminating the biking species will think twice when confronted with a SAM or Stinger missile system ... don't you think ? Submitted respectfully for your sober thought.

Originally Posted by bikonator .

Dude, thank you so much for that question. I am not an aggressive person however I am outraged by the fact that cars can honk at you and even pull a middle finger for no reason. I own 5 cars. I pay plenty of registration money to maintain the roads. When I get on my bicycle, I expect to ride in peace. I thought to hang my gun behind the seat ( instead of the spare tire bag) so people can clearly see it.
I would like to see how many people would honk, or finger, or fly by close to my elbow?

Anybody with me?
Unless you're prepared to use the weapon to kill everyone who honks their horn at you,it's hardly a deterrent. Carrying it openly simply shows something valuable that a thief may want to steal from you (very unlikely though)and when you're dead and under the wheels of a truck you ain't going to be using a gun.
All you are doing is making it more likely that,instead of honking or giving you the finger,someone who bears you some animosity will simply clip you with their vehicle and kill you.Then they can either claim "self-defence" or an accident...and get away with it.
I guarantee that,regardless of the weapon you carry,I could kill you and take it,were I so inclined,and there's absolutely nothing you could do about it.

All the guns in circulation in the US aren't making Americans any safer or any more polite,are they?