How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Originally Posted by BlithelyDoubt .

I wouldn't go that far....lets just call it a out of context, poorly controlled, basically useless data point.
It is out of context, was never meant to be a controlled study, and is not to be meant as a data point.
It's an anecdote and nothing more.

Originally Posted by BlithelyDoubt .

*sigh*
Explain?

I appreciate your viewpoint but there are quite a few people that don't see it the same way. Those few have voiced their opinion that I and others are seemingly crazy so I feel there is a need to rebut.

I am familiar with statistics on both sides of the argument, but as I mentioned before you can't tell someone who has been targeted and held at gunpoint that they are stastically safer without a gun.

I don't think I've mentioned speed of draw...I'm not trying to come up with wild scenarios.
Originally I came here to see what others are doing. What works for people and what doesn't. This thread is specifically about cycling with a gun and I think it's appropriate to discuss methods of doing so.

Originally Posted by samspade73 .

I'd personally rather put more time and energy into making sure my bike is tuned and ready to rock, my training, diet, and race prep, etc. are good rather than worrying about how fast I can pull my gun from the back pocket of my jersey (or maybe I should keep it in my sock? or maybe one in my sock AND jersey) and all sorts of wild scenarios.

AceBruceGary: I've said it no less than five times so maybe the sixth time is a charm: YOU DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY IF YOU WANT and very few, if anyone on here have said that you don't have that right. My point has and will always be that you should consider information beyond that which you have experienced, such as statistics, studies, etc. yes, yes, I know, you **** on those sources of information and considering anything beyond your reality unreliable (which is scary that you're in law enforcement, but ok). I've also never said anyone who wants to carry a gun is evil, nor has anyone else on here said that. Imaging that people who disagree with you are walking around calling you "evil" is a problem.

So take a deep breath, no one is coming to take away your arsenal (not your shower gun, nor your under the pillow gun, not your other under the pillow gun, and not your mowing the front lawn "might need to defend against a drive" by gun....etc.) Take a deep breath....relax....or better yet get on your bike.

I never carry gun during my ride ... maybe spray for the dog for mountain bike in UAE mountain but not in road ride ...

Regards
Almarzouqi

Originally Posted by almarzouqi1 .

I never carry gun during my ride ... maybe spray for the dog for mountain bike in UAE mountain but not in road ride ...

Regards
Almarzouqi

Do you have wild dogs there? what type of dog are they?

Hello Ambal... we don't have wild dogs in UAE ... just normal dogs in some small farms in the mountain but the problem those dogs are not trained well then will attack you some time ... never happen to me but it could happen >> just for my safety specially when I'm alone ... :) ... we can say street dogs :) ...

Kahr PM9 is what I carry on the bike or not, but I haven't found a really good solution for carrying it on the bike so far. I've been using a triangular pouch that connects to the top tube and the seat tube. While the location is good, it's not a very good container to draw from.

I've always carried a service pistol but fell in love with a friends Kahr at the range.

I had a Kahr MK9 at one point but found it was too heavy (It's the stainless version of the PM9).
I couldn't get it to fit well into my jersey.

The triangular pouch is a good idea. I'd just be weary of it falling out during bumpy roads that might cause zippers to open.

Happy Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by mhackl .

Kahr PM9 is what I carry on the bike or not, but I haven't found a really good solution for carrying it on the bike so far. I've been using a triangular pouch that connects to the top tube and the seat tube. While the location is good, it's not a very good container to draw from.

I've always carried a service pistol but fell in love with a friends Kahr at the range.

Reactions: KD5NRH
Originally Posted by mhackl .

I'd go with a SafePacker or similar for the Kahr. I don't really like having the gun attached to the bike, for the simple reason that the bike is what someone might want to steal. If they get the bike quickly, then I've just given a thief a gun too.

As much as I like my SmartCarry for deeper concealment, it does not work well on the bike. You will get pinched badly.

Been gone for awhile, but I see that the lotus eaters are still trying to convince the rest of us who do not reside in a Utopian bubble, that we are wrong.

Real world, not anecdotal. My neighbor, who had no interest or knowledge of firearms, now has a concealed pistol license. He pursued this course of action because he was physcally assaulted for the sole pupose of seperating him from his custom built touring bike.
He is what is affectionately called a clydesdale. Not a diminuative young man. Trip started in southern Michigan to end on the left coast.
Sometime in the late afternoon, while traversing Utah, he was abruptly run off the road by a full size van. Two men exited the side door, and just as my neighbor was about to fully stand, he was wacked to the ground with a baseball bat, had his loaded tourer dragged from underneath him, kicked a few times, had his wallet ripped out of his pocket(only his ID was in it fortunately), his bike was thrown in the van, they berated him with some expletives, and roared off.
No serious physical injuries beyond servere brusing(still visible a month later), but he has has changed his outlook towards other people. He does not want revenge, but he has vowed never to be a victim again.

As far as dog attacks are concerned, I worry more about the occasional rabid coyote/dog hybrids here. First two rounds in my 38 are CCI shot shells. The rest are frangibles. Dogs/Coyotes move too fast to take an aimed shot under stress while moving, and if they have already zeroed you, you will not have time to stop, present, aim and fire. If you can dismount and keep the bike between you and the canine you may have a little more time

When I took statistics and analysis, we learned that the numbers can be controlled to say anything the publisher of said statistics wanted.
But somebody else said it better,

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

Hello Ambal... we don't have wild dogs in UAE ... just normal dogs in some small farms in the mountain but the problem those dogs are not trained well then will attack you some time ... never happen to me but it could happen >> just for my safety specially when I'm alone ... :) ... we can say street dogs :) ...

Good call, I'd be carrying a gun out there also!

Its alot of responsibility carrying a gun. I dont carry on my bike, never needed to, but I understand all the arguments. I've had some close calls, with people and with dogs. Had to beat a dog WITH my bike once to keep from being eaten. I rely on my cell phone for the most part. But I have always said when it comes to using deadly force, it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

i am a shoes saler,when i have long vacation,i would like to ride to everywhere from city to countyside,very beautiful feeling,in our country ,it is not allowed to carry a gun.

Ok got ya, I can see a point for carrying. We did the same on a recent holiday to South Africa.

I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but I dont think I could shoot a dog unless he had a hold of my leg. In NY you also have the law which doesnt allow you to shoot a dog and lawsuits by the owner if you do. Im chased almost daily and nothing is ever done about these "pets", even though they are supposed to be tied up in this county unless under the owners direct supervision. And even then should be on a leash. Unfortuately, because most government employees want to just take their check and not do the work for it we a re faced with a situation of getting a lawyer and pressing charges to get anything done about anything in NY.

So, getting back on track - best guns to pack for cycling considering all the trade-offs for weight and comfort etc: small flat double action only autos in .380 or .32 cal. Kel Tec, Seecamp or Ruger LCP.

Carry method boils down to what one's clothing is. Standard lycra shorts with three pocket jersey? Probably best to use a ***** pack and wear in front. Too risky to throw a gun in one of the rear jersey pockets. If wearing pants with deep pockets, then there with a sticky pocket holster. Not a lot of options. I would think attaching a gun to the bike would be a real bad idea. Also with a ***** pack the options open up quite a bit - [eg] larger autos, and revolvers now can be considered, though the weight can have a point of diminishing returns. A loaded Kel Tec .32 is aprox 9 oz. An unloaded Glock 36 is 27oz.

They do make an undershirt type garment with a built-in underarm holster. This method might mean you choose a stainless steel weapon as body sweat is brutal on regular metal. I wouldn't think carrying this way would be at all uncomfortable, but I've never tried it. Don't know how concealable this method is though. Probably not very. (Lumpy)

Bringing this thread back to the OP's question - I don't carry a gun as part of my cycling equipment.

Police: Man shot teens in self defense
CUMRU TWP., Pa. -
A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed and another teenager was wounded by a man they tried to rob as he rode his bicycle along a Schuylkill River trail Wednesday morning, police said.
It happened shortly before 11 a.m. on the Thun Trail in Cumru Twp., Berks Co., near the border with West Reading.
Police said four people were involved -- three teenagers and a 65-year-old man.
"He was riding a bicycle," said Chief Jed Habecker, Cumru Twp. Police Dept.
Police said the teens knocked the man off the bike and onto the ground. They said two of the teens were assaulting the man when he pulled out a gun and shot them.
"There was one juvenile who was shot and is deceased; another juvenile who was shot and is in surgery," said Chief Jed Habecker, Cumru Twp. Police Dept.
The coroner identified the alleged assailant who died as a 16-year-old Reading boy. He was shot in the chest. The other boy who was shot underwent surgery at Reading Hospital. The third teen was committed to the Berks County Youth Detention Center.
The man who police said shot the teens was not charged.

Reactions: jpr95
Yup...Darwin still hasn't retired.

One thug dead and another two that need to be. Oh well, now the 'kids' will be charged with murder (homicide in commission of a crime) and the taxpayers of the great state of Pennsylvania get saddled with the bill of keeping the two remaining oxygen thieves incarcerated for a few decades. Bummer.

The attack took place on a gentrified Rails-to-Trails bike path.

As soon as I find out the address of the 65-year old gentleman, I'm sending him a box of replacement ammunition in his favorite caliber. Hollowpoint 230-grain .45 ACP, preferably.

Link to the newspaper report here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46143485/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Link to trail pics and pic of the bridge where the attempted robbery took place here: http://www.traillink.com/trail/schuylkill-river-trail---thun-trail.aspx

I bought a new bike last fall...

and something to keep the urban yutes away from the carbon fiber...

I would like to go back and re-read both of the firearm posts in this forum and laugh at all the 'experts' that repeatedly stated a cyclist could not possibly get to his pistol and deploy it quickly enough to save himself from attack by multiple thugs!

LMFAO!

I'm guessing it was the catlike reflexes of the old coot is what really saved him when the kiddies set upon him!

Old dude: 3
Yutes:0

A firearm saves yet another cyclist from being robbed, beaten and possibly from winding up on a stainless steel table in a morgue...where one of the yutes took the express train to.