How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

I've been doing triathlon for three years now. I haven't carried a gun while swimming - not because I'm not paranoid (TZ knows I am) but because I haven't glued a holster pocket on my wetsuit for a pistol yet. But I have been diving in areas where the lobster boatmen frequently snag dive flags and buzz divers very close. Imagine having a dive flag float you are towing snagged by a boat going 20mph or having a boat head straight at you in a game of chicken that the divers know they will lose, so they go under to avoid being run down. The lobstermen think we all steal lobsters from their traps. Sure, their are a few scum who do, but the 99% who don't face what amounts to lethal threats in public waters. I'll have to take this to the "Are divers who carry guns paranoid" thread on the SCUBA forums...

As a vetran, a gun owner and a cyclist, I'm happy to report that in the twenty+ years I've been cycling I've never once felt the need to carry. I really feel sorry for those who live/ride in places where they can't even go for a ride without a firearm...Although I just bought a house north of Tuscon AZ, I guess I'll see this winter.

Originally Posted by cale262 .

As a vetran, a gun owner and a cyclist, I'm happy to report that in the twenty+ years I've been cycling I've never once felt the need to carry. I really feel sorry for those who live/ride in places where they can't even go for a ride without a firearm...Although I just bought a house north of Tuscon AZ, I guess I'll see this winter.
Looking over all of the posts by CampyBob on this thread, listing the multitudes of cyclists assaulted, I might wonder if any of them figured they were in a place where they might expect to be assaulted. According to HERE Tucson is safer than 33% of other US cities. You judge the odds and place your bets the way you see them. Some can take care of themselves with bare hands, while others might need some help. Best of luck in the move - looks close to God's country where your heading, as I recall from some hikes north of Tucson.

lol.....no, I don't hunt while I'm riding a bike.

___________________________________________________________________ "I've had many problems in my life, most of which were imagined." - Mark Twain Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

cbjesseeNH said:
Looking over all of the posts by CampyBob on this thread, listing the multitudes of cyclists assaulted, I might wonder if any of them figured they were in a place where they might expect to be assaulted...
Planes crash every day aswell but I don't feel the need to bring a parachute every time I fly. Ill do my due diligence, asses the hazards and act accordingly.
According to HERE Tucson is safer than 33% of other US cities. You judge the odds and place your bets the way you see them. Some can take care of themselves with bare hands, while others might need some help. Best of luck in the move - looks close to God's country where your heading, as I recall from some hikes north of Tucson
Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad of a place (not actually In Tucson but in Marana) although I won't be living there full time, it's just a winter get away...If it turns out to be a place where I need to carry to feel secure, I'll sell the property and buy elsewhere.

Planes crash every day...

Actually, if you're talking commercial in the States...they don't. I can't remember the last fatal...was it that over-worked female pilot that went down in New York? If you're talking private, I'll take my chance with the glide ratio of a 172 over Ohio farm fields. If it still has wings and control surfaces...I ain't jumpin'! Ultra-light...ballistic chutes for the MF win. Now, If you're talking Air Vladivostok's 1971 IL-XX 'maintained' by a team of alcoholics and cert'd by bribed bureaucrats...pack a reserve chute, too, while you're at it.

If it turns out to be a place where I need to carry to feel secure, I'll sell the property and buy elsewhere.

Weird...

Gun sales are thru the roof in Aurora, Colorado.

I'll bet you could find a good deal on a winter get-away crib there...just a short drive to skiing and the theater.

Meh...more secure popcorn in Tucson! If the Green Dolphin bar is still open down by the U., have a cold one on me and I'll tell you tales of cycling in that miserable heat (but...it's a dry 115°!). Or getting cauight out in monsoon season with the streets washing the hapless into the storm gutters.

I hope planes don't crash everyday.

They don't.

However, I'm all in favor of banning stinky 350+ pounders from the friendly skies and installing ejection seats/chutes in business class with the takeoff weight savings.

However, cyclists, joggers, hikers and plane old (get it? plane? er...nevermind.) folks in theaters get off'ed. Every. Stinking. Day. By lunatics. Gangstas. Criminals. Bored school kiddies. Drugaholics. And every type of broken chromosome sort that still manage to waste the plant's oxygen.

Oh...and just to 'try' and keep those flights safe?

We have armed pilots and U.S. Marshals flying with <gasp!> GUNS on board! Oh, the huge manatee!

No pistolas allowed for the common folk, but Mo H. Ahmed can wear el explodo shoes or BVD's. Or a body cavity IED.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

By Jeremy Iggers, Iggers Digest
June 27, 2012
Have you been attacked while riding your bike on the Greenway, or anywhere else?
Monday morning shortly before 9 a.m., riding to work‎ on the Greenway, I found the road partly blocked at 14th Avenue by half a dozen kids - some teens, some probably younger - standing in the middle of the road. I said something like, "hey, you can't block the road" as I went around them, and then one kid threw a rock at me, hitting me in the upper body.
I stopped a few yards ahead, not sure what to do. Just then, another biker coming from the opposite direction was hit by a rock. He dismounted and started to confront the group. One of the bigger boys started throwing punches. The biker at first stood his ground, but when he got hit hard in the face, and more kids started to surround him, he retreated. He ran to me, and asked me to call 911, which I did. He said one of the kids had stolen his iPod.
As more bikers arrived on the scene, the kids ran back up the ramp to 13th Ave. One biker said he had been attacked a few minutes earlier. The first biker who was attacked stayed to wait for the police, and I left to go to work.
Later in the day, I posted a short status update on Facebook.
"Wow. Terrible!," wrote David Lawrence Grant. "The Greenway is such a great resource... but people can't use it if they can't feel safe."
Another Facebook friend commented that I "Should of stayed and kicked there butts. Please do not let anyone get away with that"
That didn't really occur to me at the time.
Barb Teed, a regular contributor to the Daily Planet, attached links to several other reports of Greenway attacks, including a January WCCO report about a violent attack on a woman cyclist on the Greenway, and a link to the Midtown Greenway Coalition's list of incidents in the past six months here: There are currently nine incidents on the list, all after dark.
I also copied my status update to the Coalition's Facebook page, where I found that another cyclist, Jennifer Komar Olivarez, had already posted a similar experience:
The Midtown Greenway Coalition posted a reply within minutes:
Thanks, Jeremy. We strongly encourage Greenway users to call the police when they see groups of youth loitering on the Greenway. The MO is always 2-3 youth or more, and frequently they are near a bridge with stair or ramp access. Best to stop well ahead of them. Also, turn around and bike away the other direction. The more calls to the police, the more they pay attention to the Greenway. They want us to call, and if everyone does, it will really help.
And Olivarez posted a reply yesterday as well:
Jeremy, that was the same group I encountered. Several of us calling the police must have helped, because today there was a patrol car prominently parked near the 10th Avenue entrance to the Greenway. I was unfortunately upon them before I knew what was happening but will be extra vigilant from now on and will not hesitate to call police as soon as I can.
On my Facebook thread, Andrew Paule offered this suggestion: "Anyone interested in helping contact the coalition - they can use all they can get. We have had a couple of years with ZERO incidents, now we are starting to see it pick up again."
The Midtown Coalition also offers some advice for riders on the Greenway after dark:
For your safety, seek other trail users to buddy up with after dark and call 911 to report anything suspicious. If you must bike alone at night, behave as you would anywhere in the city and avoid loitering/stationary pedestrians because sometimes they have accomplices hiding nearby.
On Tuesday morning, when I rode to work on the same route, I didn't see any sign of the kids. But I did encounter a couple of Minneapolis police officers on bikes. I stopped one of them and started a conversation - I assumed that they were patrolling the Greenway in response to the multiple police reports from the day before.
No, the officer told me, he hadn't heard about those incidents. They patrol the Greenway regularly, and this was just a routine ride.
Do you have Greenway experiences or advice to share? Post them as comments on this story, and we'll update the story with your input, as appropriate.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/jeremy-iggers/attacked-minneapolis-greenway

Libtards. They can NOT debate the facts!

Gimmee dat bike homie!

Jus' shoot me dawg!

So are you saying if you had a gun while you were biking you would have used it??

___________________________________________________________________ "I've had many problems in my life, most of which were imagined." - Mark Twain Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

So are you saying if you had a gun while you were biking you would have used it??

You.

Damned.

Straight.

I.

Would.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]he got hit hard in the face...road partly blocked at 14th Avenue by half a dozen kids - some teens[/COLOR]

Superior numbers of attackers and fear of severe bodily harm or death. During a physical attack there is ZERO indication it is going to stop and there is ZERO predictors of what injuries you, as a victim, might or might not sustain. Our prisons are chock full of little ghetto goblins under 18 that committed murder upon their fellow man. Three more charged in Cleveland just yesterday.

You.

Or.

Them.

It is your choice.

And also, MY choice. My choice is 'F&#$ THEM! If a bunch of social libtards makes the irrational deciscion to attack an innocent person, they can go straight to hell. Or at least to the ER if my aim is off.

Parenting and personal responsibility...how does it work?

If YOU choose to end up on the ground with your face kicked in and busted ribs minus your belongings...that's YOUR choice. Have at it and I wish you a speedy recovery and I will curse your name for NOT defending yourself and a civil society and for feeding the criminal class.

Victim or Victor. You decide what to be.

If you decide to be a victim, I have no more sympathy for you than the thugs that would set out to injure and rob innocent folks.

[SIZE= 20px]Cyclist robbed at gunpoint near Town & Country Village [/SIZE]
Victim was bicycling home from work late Tuesday when suspect demanded belongings

p.media { font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; color: #000000; text-align: center; border-top: ridge thin #C0C0C0; } Photo
26357_thumb.jpg

Palo Alto police said they are investigating an armed robbery that took place Tuesday around 10:30 p.m. on the bicycle path between Town & Country Village and the Caltrain tracks.

As the victim bicycled home from work, he was confronted by a man holding a black handgun who demanded the contents of his pockets, police said in a statement issued late Wednesday, July 25.

Fearing for his safety, the bicyclist complied, handing over a cell phone and a small amount of cash.

After taking the items the man fled on foot, leaving the bike path and heading down Encina Way toward El Camino Real, police said.

Police described the robber as an African-American male "of average height," in his 20s wearing jeans and a black hooded sweatshirt.

No injuries occurred.

Police said they are actively investigating the crime.

Anyone with information is urged to call a 24-hour dispatch center at 650-329-2413. Anonymous tips can be emailed to [email protected] or sent by text or voicemail to 650-383-8984. http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=26241

Cyclist robbed at gunpoint on Beacon Hill By SCOTT SUNDE, SEATTLE PI.COM STAFF
Published 8:15 a.m., Wednesday, August 1, 2012
another Seattle cyclist robbed.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Cyclist-robbed-at-gunpoint-on-Beacon-Hill-3753891.php

Seattle police say a man armed with a pistol robbed a cyclist on Beacon Hill this week.
The gunman yelled at the cyclist to get him to stop about 2 a.m. Tuesday at Beacon Avenue South and South Dawnson Street.
The cyclist pulled over when he saw the pistol.
The robber ordered the cyclist to drop his backpack and empty his pockets.

He also threatened to shoot the cyclist.
The robber got the man's cell phone and wallet, then ran away down the Chief Sealth Trail.
After the cyclist got home, he called police.
Officers couldn't find the robber. Police describe him as a black man in his mid-20s. He is 5 feet 6 inches tall with a slim build. He has a thin mustache and a goatee. Early Tuesday morning he was wearing a dark blue or black shirt and blue jeans.

Cyclist robbed by three men 11:10am Thursday 2nd August 2012 in News
ROBBERS pushed over a cyclist in Oxford and kicked him before stealing his bike and £19.
The 40-year-old victim was attacked by three men in woods behind Meadow Lane on Friday at about 5.20pm.
One of them was on a bike and had a knife in his backpack. He had tattoos on his stomach and arm.
They left towards Iffley Road and the victim was treated for bruising at the John Radcliffe Hospital .
Police want to hear from three Asian men standing nearby who may have witnessed the incident.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9850519.Cyclist_robbed_by_three_men/

It started in the 80's...less cops but smarter cops in the gun-banning ****ries. Smarter cops do less with more. More CCTV, more begging for witnesses, and more tolerance of deviants. The UK leads the way in tolerating deviants despite huge amounts of CCTV and begging. They brag about it on TV shows.

Tolerance works when peasants prey upon peasants. If peasants prey upon the rich and entitled then it's terrorist time! The rich and entitled will make you a terrorist, or make you a priveledged peasant depending on who you terrorize. The USA chose a different path and the result is plain to see.

Carrying while cycling is no different to carrying while walking, riding in a limo, or lounging at home. The responsibility is ours. Train yourself to see it through on your terms.

The UK leads the way in tolerating deviants despite huge amounts of CCTV and begging.

They banned firearms only to find them replaced with knives.

They banned sharp objects only to find them replaced with...

...the ANTI_STAB knife!!!

Can't be re-sharpened to a sharp point!!! The 'LAW' says so!

Silly Engrish. No wonder a small bunch of rag-tag American colonists kicked their asses back across the pond!

(Disclaimer: No insult was intended to The Crown, HRM, Indian/Pakistani cab drivers,, Bradley Wiggin's muttonchops, current CCTV watchers, unarmed Bobbies, Usain Bolt or screaming crowds of protesting Muslims in Hyde Park. Any resemblence to any Tory or Loyalist, living or dead, is most certainly coincidental. The hate speech and vitriol expressed in this post is soley that of the poster and does not reflect the opinions, however scatterbrained, of any other poster, bot or spammer account.)

It's illegal to carry a gun in my country, but i wouldn't mind to get one and carry it, since so many idiots out there etc...

CAMPYBOB you lead me on...I..I..I'm offended by the truth :(

An ANTI_STAB knife is no match to a baseball bat...the bat is happy to stab with blunt point and it need not penetrate the skin. A gun changes everything and it works best when it's in our hands as law-abidin citizens.

Real survivors fight with all they have, with no tears to show on realityTV. They will be persecuted for doing it themselves and not relying on the authorised rescuers. Authorized whatevers are only there after the miriacle has happened, when the cameras are rolling, and the tears of the losers who did nothing are a-dripping in gratitude for having done nothing.

Go draw a chalk line around the scene..after the fact.

Published on Thursday 6 September 2012 13:57

[SIZE= 20px]A cyclist was assaulted by two men on Friday as he rode along the Newport Road in Wavendon.[/SIZE]

At about 2.45m the 22-year-old was riding on the cycleway adjacent to the A5130 Newport Road, Wavendon, when he was passed by a dark coloured 4X4 pickup, believed to be a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior.
The men shouted at the victim as they drove past and a short distance up the road, they stopped him before[COLOR= #ff0000] dragging him from his bike and punching him[/COLOR].
The assault took place on the path and continued in to the road itself, [COLOR= #ff0000]with a number of cars passing while it continued[/COLOR]. After the men left, one car stopped and the driver got out to help the victim.
The victim suffered a cut to his nose and reddening to the head and face but did not require hospital treatment.
Both offenders are white with short brown hair. One was slim and the other stocky.
PC David Sullivan, of Milton Keynes police station, said: “I am keen to speak with anyone with information about this incident.
“This was an unprovoked attack and I am keen to track down the offenders.
“I am also appealing to speak to the man who stopped to help the victim, as I believe he may be able to help with our enquiries.”
The victim noticed there were a lot of cars around at the time and police are appealing for anyone who witnessed it or recognises the description of the men or their vehicle to contact them on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Will you be a victim or a victor?

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/local/cyclist-hurt-in-road-attack-1-4230748

Cyclist releases pictures of injuries suffered in road rage attack on Spring Bank
Thursday, September 06, 2012

THESE are the horrific injuries a cyclist was left with after a road rage attack.

Philip Elliott, 51, was biking home from work along Spring Bank, west Hull, when Daniel Miller leapt from a car and attacked him. Mr Elliot was left unconscious on the ground with multiple facial fractures.

1. ​
    4108905.jpg

'Beaten to a pulp': The injuries cyclist Philip Elliott suffered after he was subjected to a vicious attack by motorist Daniel Miller.

He has now released the images to the Mail to show the ferocity of the attack.
"He beat me to a pulp," said Mr Elliot. "He really went to town on me. You just have to look at the photographs to see what he did to me.

"I still can't believe it happened. All I did was cycle home from work and he did this to me.

"I was about to ride around the car when he punched me.

"The last thing I remember is getting punched in the face.

"Looking at what he did to me, I feel lucky to be alive. My memory is not the same since the attack and I'm still nervous about going out."
Miller, an electrician, was jailed for three years and three months after he pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
Judge John Dowse told him: "We have seen the photos of what you did to this man. You effectively beat him to a pulp.
"It was unprovoked. You left the car and you savaged him."

Miller had repeatedly punched Mr Elliott and slammed his head into the ground.

Onlookers feared the cyclist was dead after the horrific assault. Mr Elliot suffered a fractured cheekbone and a fractured eye socket.
Miller had drunk ten pints of lager in the Hole In The Wall pub in Spring Bank before he was collected by his girlfriend in her car. Hull Crown Court heard she pulled in front of Mr Elliott, almost hitting him.

Prosecutor Nick Adlington said: "Miller blamed the cyclist for cycling in the middle of the road without lights, thereby causing the near- collision. "He decamped from the car and punched the complainant a number of times.

"He punched him to the ground and appeared to grab him by the scruff of his neck and punched him a number of times while he was on the ground.
"In between punches, Mr Elliot's head was being banged on the floor.

"He was unable to defend himself and was bleeding heavily from his head."

Witness Katie Fairweather sounded her car horn to try to stop Miller, of Dent Road, west Hull.
Mr Elliot, a hygiene operative, was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary for emergency treatment.

Miller fled the scene to a hotel in West Yorkshire with his girlfriend after the attack, shortly after 8pm on February 26. They returned to Hull the next day and were caught through number plate recognition when the car they were in entered the city.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Cyclist-releases-pictures-injuries-suffered-road/story-16837378-detail/story.html

Victim or victor...you decide.

Sorry about publishing that picture of you, stevie.