How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

I hope an armed rider will take a few shots at the gang that is attacking cyclists on the bike trail I often use for my commute.
Be that armed rider, especially if there is a known threat.

Often during the working day I must pass through metal detectors to enter federal office buildings where weapons are prohibited. I don't think it would be responsible to leave a loaded gun on my bike, so carrying a gun on my commute would be impractical for me. Also I'm probably too much of a sissy to shoot someone.

Originally Posted by dominikk85 .

are there really people riding with a gun? that's really messed up:)
Very very few I suppose. Notice 259 pages of bluster in this thread and not a single first hand report of anyone actually disabling or killing a bad guy.

Deputy Shot While Riding Bike Off-Duty, Bicyclists React
http://www.kmph.com/story/20036505/deputy-shot-while-riding-bike-off-duty-bicyclists-react
A Cyclist Was Stabbed by a ******-Off Corvette Driver on Lower Greenville Last Night
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/11/a_cyclist_was_stabbed_on_lower.php

Sirisavath had legal cause to defend himself with deadly force.

[SIZE= 14px]The driver of the Corvette will escalate his behavior in the future...count on it. The next cyclist he goes full retard on might not be as 'lucky' as [/SIZE]Sirisavath.

Victim or victor. Which will you become?

Defend yourself. No one else is going to.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Victim or victor. Which will you become?
Defend yourself. No one else is going to.

That'll come down to whoever has the biggest gun, it's obviously not a solution in the real world outside of america.

"That'll come down to whoever has the biggest gun,"

No.

It will come down to situational awareness, practiced reactions, attitude and you will default to the level of your training.

i have carried in the past...S&W .38 (Airweight)...not so much cause of the bad guys as it was for critters...though i was very comfy against bad guys

S&W goodness in a small, light, reliable package. Nice choice, Schwinnlifer65.

I have never had the urge to carry during my rides, not yet. Though I can see why some people do so, it is not a perfect world we live in and there are a lot of deranged people out there. I do have my CCW from my home state of Arizona, but I am stationed in Milwaukee WI with the Coast Guard (AZ CCW is good in 37 states including WI). Milwaukee and North Milwaukee are not places of peace, it seems like almost weekly there is someone who has been shot or hit by a stray bullet. But mainly it is people on or looking for durgs on both ends of the barrel. While it could happen to me or my fiance, I would much rather just give them my bike and not have to worry about killing someone. Now, when I move back to AZ and want to ride out in the mountains I will most likely keep a pistol with me to keep the big cats at bay much like I do when I go hiking. I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Earlier in the post I noticed someone talking about failed gun control and then the retort asking for places. I give you Chicago IL in the U.S. it is illegal to own or possess a gun withing Chicagos limits. But look at a list of the most gun violence and Chicago will always be in the top three in the U.S. Then look at Washington D.C. Another frequent city in the top five, yet D.C. has made gun for the most part illegal to own within the city limits.

Now we can turn to Mexico where "In Mexico, civilians are not allowed to possess military grade firearms intended for Army, Navy and Air Force use, including: .357 Magnum revolvers and those greater than .38 calibre, handguns greater than 9mm, rifles and carbines of .223, 7mm, 7.62 and .30 calibres, automatic firearms, or shotguns with barrels shorter than 635mm or greater than 12 gauge" This leaves the populous with rifels chambered in .22 for the most part, and very small caliber pistols. But look at what the drug cartels are using.

What gun control does is put the criminals at the advantage because they know the people they will be assulting will be less armed than they. Sorry about the rant but I was trying to answer a previous posters question.

I normally take my gun off when I'm road riding. However I do carry every day. I wake up in the morning and my S&W M&P Shield goes on with my belt. Some days I'll carry a 1911, some days I'll carry a Glock. Depends on what I have been shooting a lot at the time. Mostly ends up being the Shield 9 with +P hollowpoints. When I'm mountain biking/trail riding I always carry a gun. In MT we have all the four legged creatures that can eat people. However I have had more run-ins with dogs and people than I have with bears or big cats. My woods carry piece is a Glock 20 in 10mm auto with hand loaded full power rounds. Off the shelf 10 ammo is weak unless you buy cor-bon or buffalo bore. 10mm is the only semi-auto round I would trust against a bear. The penetration just isn't there with other semi-auto rounds. It's tough to get good penetration on bear. I carry it in a chest rig from Hill People Gear anytime I'm hiking or mountain biking. I'll save you the hassle and just admit it. I'm a redneck with a basement full of guns/ammo/reloading components. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BigSkyFatGuy said:
I normally take my gun off when I'm road riding. However I do carry every day. I wake up in the morning and my S&W M&P Shield goes on with my belt. Some days I'll carry a 1911, some days I'll carry a Glock. Depends on what I have been shooting a lot at the time. Mostly ends up being the Shield 9 with +P hollowpoints. When I'm mountain biking/trail riding I always carry a gun. In MT we have all the four legged creatures that can eat people. However I have had more run-ins with dogs and people than I have with bears or big cats. My woods carry piece is a Glock 20 in 10mm auto with hand loaded full power rounds. Off the shelf 10 ammo is weak unless you buy cor-bon or buffalo bore. 10mm is the only semi-auto round I would trust against a bear. The penetration just isn't there with other semi-auto rounds. It's tough to get good penetration on bear. I carry it in a chest rig from Hill People Gear anytime I'm hiking or mountain biking. I'll save you the hassle and just admit it. I'm a redneck with a basement full of guns/ammo/reloading components. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Never skied Montana but its on my bucket list. Great avalanche country. Good stuff.

jhuskey said:
Never skied Montana but its on my bucket list. Great avalanche country. Good stuff.
I live in Kalispell, right between Whitefish Mountain (it will always be Big Mountain to us locals) and BlackTail Mountain. There are a few other good resorts in the state as well. Bridger Bowl down by Bozeman is a good one too. If you're a cross country guy Kalispell is also just a few miles from great groomed xc trails as well as miles and miles of non groomed stuff like Glacier National Park. If you make it here in the summer you have to plan it around a full moon so you can do the midnight Going To The Sun Highway ride. Miles of hell climbing up, scary fast trip down. Some world class mountain biking here too.

Quote by BigSkySmartGuy:
"10mm is the only semi-auto round I would trust against a bear. The penetration just isn't there with other semi-auto rounds. It's tough to get good penetration on bear."

Especially YOUR bears! Our little black 'dog' bears are tough enough and plenty dangerous if wounded. My neighbor has a duplex in Montana and he's out there all summer. He has OOS tags for everything he could get and is spending the summer on his ATV (well armed) and hunting. This fall, he'll be giving us some great cuts to throw on the grill.

Yeah, I'm thinking .460 S&W at a minimum!

"I carry it in a chest rig from Hill People Gear anytime I'm hiking or mountain biking."

Good choice! I like chest rigs with strong arm draw.

"I'll save you the hassle and just admit it. I'm a redneck with a basement full of guns/ammo/reloading components."

Redneck from Ohio checking in! With an 'arsenal'!

I would feel naked without my sig p238. Always prepared. I always ride trails through woods and they cut through some bad urban areas. I always ride alone so it's a piece of mind for me. Doug

Doug,

Good choice! SIG is always a good choice.

The urban animals are more dangerous than the ones in the woods.

Originally Posted by steve6690

Nothing is ever perfect. Allowing everyone to carry a gun would just create more problems than it solves.

Originally Posted by jpr95

You're certainly entitled to your delusional opinion. The statistics just don't bear that out. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens translates to less crime, and the Wild West scenarios just haven't happened.
If everyone knew that everyone carried a piece, they would think twice before trying to f#$#$ with them because they know they maybe carrying. I think it would actually reduce crime for this reason. The criminals know most citizens don't carry, so they know they have the upper hand and therefore prey on the weak. However, if they knew you had a piece they would more likely not f#$# with you because you can fire back; again they are going to target the weak. I think Texas allow citizens to carry and I believe crime has lessened because the fools know there's a good chance they may not make it (just something I recall hearing, so don't quote me on that). Too bad here in MD it's tough to get a license to carry a concealed weapon.

Just One Man's Opinion.

Methodical said:
If everyone knew that everyone carried a piece, they would think twice before trying to f#$#$ with them because they know they maybe carrying. 
Or dedicated criminals would simply start by shooting their victims first thing. Here's how it works: To influence a situation you need three things, awareness, decisiveness and ability. And a gun will only help with ability. Before the average guy has figured out what's happening, decided what to do about it, and started to bring his gun out, the man with the plan-the criminal-has such a big lead in initiative that the victim being armed is hugely unlikely to change a single thing to the better. For protection against home invasion guns work a little less poorly. If you hear someone prowling, testing different windows, it buys you enough time to realize it's real, and to get your act together. OTOH, then you might as well call the cops, and let the wannabee intruder know that cops are on their way and anyone but the terminally stupid would go and seek an easier target.