How many of you carry

matagi said:
Is it something to do with the time of year? There seem to be threads on carrying guns while cycling popping up on forums all over the place.

I must confess to being a little puzzled by this phenomenon.
there's a cyclingforums thread with this title that has been going on since about 2003! It must be some sort of record somewhere. of course it's turned into a USA vs the world kind of thread.

ProfTournesol said:
there's a cyclingforums thread with this title that has been going on since about 2003! It must be some sort of record somewhere. of course it's turned into a USA vs the world kind of thread.

Yes, I've seen that one - it went quiet for a while and recently got resurrected, although I'm not sure why. It was inevitable that it would turn into a USA vs the world thing because there doesn't appear to be same level of paranoia nor belief that a gun will somehow make you safe amongst other posters.

Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 01:03:55 -0000
> beerwolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I thought the OP was a troll - I was surprised by the volume of
>> have a legit requirement. The rifle range is just a 50 minute ride
>> away (for me), and I'd like to ride there instead of taking the
>> wagon. It's a legal requirement to cover up firearms being
>> transported in public, so I can't just sling it over my shoulder, and
>> I've gone off wearing backpacks.

> How much cover? Fabric gun cases with slings used to be easy enough
> to get.

The firearm(s) & ammunition must be carried separately in 2 *locked*
containers. It says nothing about the strength of the locks - so a weak
suitcase type key is sufficient, or a small padlock. I think the intention
of the law is that you shouldn't be going around ready for instant action.

If I wanted to carry it on my back, there are a few options. Here for
instance: http://www.wiskur.com/dragbag.html this has backpack straps.
I prefer the rear rack option, if I can construct it, for my own comfort.

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)

beerwolf said:
The firearm(s) & ammunition must be carried separately in 2 *locked*
containers. It says nothing about the strength of the locks - so a weak
suitcase type key is sufficient, or a small padlock. I think the intention
of the law is that you shouldn't be going around ready for instant action.

If I wanted to carry it on my back, there are a few options. Here for
instance: http://www.wiskur.com/dragbag.html this has backpack straps.
I prefer the rear rack option, if I can construct it, for my own comfort.

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)

I'm assuming you want some sort of long rectangular container that doesn't actually look like a gun case? Just trying to think outside the square here .... but have you looked at musical instrument cases for example or something in the boating line? A fully assembled rifle is pretty long, are you sure carrying it on your bike is going to work?

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:45:31 -0000
beerwolf <[email protected]> wrote:
> The firearm(s) & ammunition must be carried separately in 2 *locked*
> containers. It says nothing about the strength of the locks - so a weak
> suitcase type key is sufficient, or a small padlock. I think the intention
> of the law is that you shouldn't be going around ready for instant action.

Does it say hard containers? A fabric case with the zipper locked....

Make your guncase. Then go to www.greenspeed.com.au and get the arkel
pannier hook set. THe top bit is rivetted to the case at the right
height, the bottom bit ditto. then the whole thing just clips to the
rack as though it was a pannier. Add an occy strap round the bit that
sticks up above the rack level that goes across the rack to the other
side of the bike to help stabilise it if you think it needs it.

I'd make the guncase like this. Go to a plastics place, and get some
plastic sheet cut to size. Fasten the bits together with alloy angle
from bunnings and a pop rivetter. Seal with silicone under the angle
before you rivet. The lid is on a couple of hinges and has alloy angle
around the top with some felt glued to it to seal it and some overcam
toolbox fasteners of the type that take a padlock, placed so they pull
down well onto the felt. Have some thin rubber sheet glued on the inside
and outside of the hinge area to keep the water out.

Put cut foam and velcro straps on the inside to hold the rifle and
cleaning kit or whatever in.

Make the ammo box in the same way, and fasten it on the other side of
the bike.

You should end up with a pair of good looking fairly waterproof boxes
that just clip onto the bike.

Problem with plywood is that it has to be finished so it manages if it
gets wet.

Zebee

matagi wrote:

> I'm assuming you want some sort of long rectangular container that
> doesn't actually look like a gun case? Just trying to think outside
> the square here .... but have you looked at musical instrument cases
> for example or something in the boating line?

It doesn't matter if it looks like a gun case. Actually, musicians who want
to ride with an instrument would have pretty similar issues. Did Al Capone
ever ride a bike? :)

> A fully assembled rifle is pretty long, are you sure carrying it on your
> bike is going to work?

No, I'm not sure. But I *think* it ought to work. At this stage the concept
is that the case should hang off the back of the rack at 45 degrees, with
the back of the rack somewhere about halfway along the case. A couple of
struts angling up from further along the rack should stabilise the case.

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:18:17 -0000
beerwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

> No, I'm not sure. But I *think* it ought to work. At this stage the concept
> is that the case should hang off the back of the rack at 45 degrees, with
> the back of the rack somewhere about halfway along the case. A couple of
> struts angling up from further along the rack should stabilise the case.

Well... A pushbike is lighter than a motorbike, but a rifle case is
smaller than a hard case sized for a 9" golf bag and lighter than said
case containing armour and weapons for 2 people. And probably
shorter.

I found that said case sitting on a home made addition to my pannier
rack was plenty stable when I added a strap that went from the case a bit
above the seat to the pannier rack on the other side of the motorcycle.
The middle of the case was a few inches above the pillion seat.

The bike did tend to want to veer left from the weight, but it was
easily controlled just felt a bit odd.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Does it say hard containers? A fabric case with the zipper locked....

If I do end up with it on my back, I think a locked zipper would be
fine.

> Make your guncase. Then go to www.greenspeed.com.au and get the arkel
> pannier hook set. THe top bit is rivetted to the case at the right
> height, the bottom bit ditto. then the whole thing just clips to the
> rack as though it was a pannier. Add an occy strap round the bit that
> sticks up above the rack level that goes across the rack to the other
> side of the bike to help stabilise it if you think it needs it.
>
> I'd make the guncase like this. Go to a plastics place, and get some
> plastic sheet cut to size. Fasten the bits together with alloy angle
> from bunnings and a pop rivetter. Seal with silicone under the angle
> before you rivet. The lid is on a couple of hinges and has alloy
> angle around the top with some felt glued to it to seal it and some
> overcam toolbox fasteners of the type that take a padlock, placed so
> they pull down well onto the felt. Have some thin rubber sheet glued
> on the inside and outside of the hinge area to keep the water out.
>
> Put cut foam and velcro straps on the inside to hold the rifle and
> cleaning kit or whatever in.
>
> Make the ammo box in the same way, and fasten it on the other side of
> the bike.
>
> You should end up with a pair of good looking fairly waterproof boxes
> that just clip onto the bike.
>
> Problem with plywood is that it has to be finished so it manages if it
> gets wet.

I hadn't thought about using plastic. My idea was to build a framework
onto the rack using hardwood, then build the case out of western red
cedar and marry the two together with struts and a special mounting
bracket. The plastic idea is definitely worth exploring though. Thanks.

--

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:24:44 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Well... A pushbike is lighter than a motorbike, but a rifle case is
> smaller than a hard case sized for a 9" golf bag and lighter than said
> case containing armour and weapons for 2 people. And probably
> shorter.

I'm going to take a punt and say ringmail is a touch heavier than kevlar,
and I'm assuming you were using something like that given it was the most
common among the SCA types I knew. I wish you'd pointed that out
though, because now I've got visions of you turning up at a movie style
siege on the scooter with a golf bag full of Schwarzenegger props!

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data' - seffala, /.

Terryc said:
TimC wrote:

> I can do one better than that. I have a pet sabre tooth tigre that
> follows me everywhere on the bike. Can run faster than any human in a
> car can drive.

At my speed, I'd like a walrus.
Watching one against a polar bear on David Rabbitborough tonight.
They are positively huge and would simply flatten any small car with a
waddle and probably have absolutely no trouble flattening a large car.

The metre tusks make a warning statement.

I'll follow you ;)

In aus.bicycle on 12 Feb 2007 01:19:08 GMT
Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:24:44 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> Well... A pushbike is lighter than a motorbike, but a rifle case is
>> smaller than a hard case sized for a 9" golf bag and lighter than said
>> case containing armour and weapons for 2 people. And probably
>> shorter.

> I'm going to take a punt and say ringmail is a touch heavier than kevlar,
> and I'm assuming you were using something like that given it was the most
> common among the SCA types I knew. I wish you'd pointed that out
> though, because now I've got visions of you turning up at a movie style
> siege on the scooter with a golf bag full of Schwarzenegger props!

wasn't using mail, helmets, couple of swords, buckler, heavy padded
kit, a few odds and sods. Nowhere near as heavy as the full armour
types use, but heavier than a rifle.

I have been known to take a coat of plates, a shield, helm, and sowrd,
all strapped onto the back of the MZ though.

These days I'm a fencer, so the kit is lighter, the sword longer, and
the shields are smaller. Once I get into longsword properly
though....

Zebee

beerwolf wrote:
> matagi wrote:
>

>>Is it something to do with the time of year? There seem to be threads
>>on carrying guns while cycling popping up on forums all over the
>>place.
>>
>>I must confess to being a little puzzled by this phenomenon.

> I thought the OP was a troll - I was surprised by the volume of responses
> (though most were justifiably flippant). As it happens, I have a legit
> requirement. The rifle range is just a 50 minute ride away (for me), and
> I'd like to ride there instead of taking the wagon. It's a legal
> requirement to cover up firearms being transported in public, so I can't
> just sling it over my shoulder, and I've gone off wearing backpacks.
>
> So I'm thinking to build a gun case and a light wooden framework to allow
> attachment to the rear rack. If anyone else has done similar, I'd be
> interested in hearing about it - esp. in regard to design issues/problems
> and how they were overcome.

I haven't made a gun case for bicycle carry, but have fiddled with other
awkward loads. Some idea.

0) Historically, i beleive the carry case/tube was mounted on the right
side of front forks.

1) Have you consider adapting a golf buggy?

2) Is your rear rack robust? Weak or lightly constructed rack can
sometime wobble with "big" loads, which can lead to control problems. It
isn't neccessarily the weight, but vibrations in a long load can create
significant forces that you wouldn't expect.

3) If you carry the box crosswise, you have to watch clearances.

3) You could vertically mount a gun box (light ply) vertical with ute
hooks and an ocky/stretch strap. If the gun is too heavy, it will cause
verring if you are not attentive, unless you are carrying an equal
weight of ammo on the other side.

A problem is the real axle which will gouge the side of the box.
Mounting it forward will cause a simple rectangular box to hit your
heel. Mounting it rear will lighten your front wheel (perhaps not
significantly.

If you can build a tapered box and carry it muzzle down, you might get
around this.

4) Consider long term bouncing, which ever way you carry it.

5) Custom make a trailer. Imagine a shepherds crook/? with half the hook
cut away. Use the spring link (aka Moz's pages). Straight back to a pair
of wheels.

If you use a more rigid connecting link, you need to work in two axis of
movement (up/down & left/right). A spring will allow the third which you
do not want (topple).

Problems, is bending thin tube; go to a custom muffler place and get
them to bend up a length of tube for the half hook and body.

etc.

Terryc said:
beerwolf wrote:
> matagi wrote:

> I thought the OP was a troll - I was surprised by the volume of responses
> (though most were justifiably flippant). As it happens, I have a legit
> requirement. The rifle range is just a 50 minute ride away (for me), and
> I'd like to ride there instead of taking the wagon. It's a legal
> requirement to cover up firearms being transported in public, so I can't
> just sling it over my shoulder, and I've gone off wearing backpacks.
>
> So I'm thinking to build a gun case and a light wooden framework to allow
> attachment to the rear rack. If anyone else has done similar, I'd be
> interested in hearing about it - esp. in regard to design issues/problems
> and how they were overcome.

5) Custom make a trailer. Imagine a shepherds crook/? with half the hook
cut away. Use the spring link (aka Moz's pages). Straight back to a pair
of wheels.

etc.
I'd go along with the trailer idea, myself. All my firearms except my little .22 carbine have heavy barrels & I wouldn't want the weight of those on any bike. Let alone ammunition, bench rests, spotting scope & all the other stuff I need for shooting at the local range. The firearm has to be secure, and also concealed in such a way as to 'not cause alarm' when in transit, according to my local plod.

I just throw everything in back of the car & have done with it.

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> little .22 carbine have heavy barrels & I wouldn't want the weight of
> those on any bike. Let alone ammunition, bench rests, spotting scope &
> all the other stuff I need for shooting at the local range. The firearm
> has to be secure, and also concealed in such a way as to 'not cause
> alarm' when in transit, according to my local plod.
>
> I just throw everything in back of the car & have done with it.

Boring. This has allthe makings of a nice little custom jobby trailer,
complete with coffe making facilities on top, plus shade umbrella and
nice folding chair.

Terryc wrote:

> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>
>> little .22 carbine have heavy barrels & I wouldn't want the weight of
>> those on any bike. Let alone ammunition, bench rests, spotting scope &
>> all the other stuff I need for shooting at the local range. The firearm
>> has to be secure, and also concealed in such a way as to 'not cause
>> alarm' when in transit, according to my local plod.
>>
>> I just throw everything in back of the car & have done with it.

> Boring. This has allthe makings of a nice little custom jobby trailer,
> complete with coffe making facilities on top, plus shade umbrella and
> nice folding chair.

I'm just an ordinary-sized bloke, not a carthorse :)

I had thought of a trailer, and it might yet come to that, particularly if
I want to bring the heavy artillery. But so far I was only planning for a
carry case for the .22. I've been thinking that if I rig up a nice solid
hardwood base with a very firm attachment to the rack, it would also be
useful for carrying other bulky (but not heavy) items. The rack is a good
solid one, but only about 6" across. If I can effectively widen it with a
good firm couple of planks, it should hold a wider load without it wobbling
around when secured properly.

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:58:06 -0000, beerwolf
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Terryc wrote:
>
>> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>>
>>> little .22 carbine have heavy barrels & I wouldn't want the weight of
>>> those on any bike. Let alone ammunition, bench rests, spotting scope &
>>> all the other stuff I need for shooting at the local range. The firearm
>>> has to be secure, and also concealed in such a way as to 'not cause
>>> alarm' when in transit, according to my local plod.
>>>
>>> I just throw everything in back of the car & have done with it.

>> Boring. This has allthe makings of a nice little custom jobby trailer,
>> complete with coffe making facilities on top, plus shade umbrella and
>> nice folding chair.

>I'm just an ordinary-sized bloke, not a carthorse :)
>
>I had thought of a trailer, and it might yet come to that, particularly if
>I want to bring the heavy artillery. But so far I was only planning for a
>carry case for the .22. I've been thinking that if I rig up a nice solid
>hardwood base with a very firm attachment to the rack, it would also be
>useful for carrying other bulky (but not heavy) items. The rack is a good
>solid one, but only about 6" across. If I can effectively widen it with a
>good firm couple of planks, it should hold a wider load without it wobbling
>around when secured properly.

There are moments like when I'm going grocery shopping etc. my "Gomier
Trike" (with the large basket on the back) comes in pretty handy. :)
--

Stuart

I can just see myself turning up at the local range on a trike with a big basket holding my firearms. "Prehistoric ****" would not begin to describe what they'd say about me then :D

Duracell Bunny said:
I can just see myself turning up at the local range on a trike with a big basket holding my firearms. "Prehistoric ****" would not begin to describe what they'd say about me then :D

So what's wrong with a handlebar mount for your weapon of choice? You might have to move a computer or light but it could be worth it. :D

And a trike would give you a stable operating base for a mortar as well.

And that might stop any rude comments anyone was considering making. :eek:

SteveA

SteveA wrote:

> Duracell Bunny Wrote:
> > I can just see myself turning up at the local range on a trike with a
> > big basket holding my firearms. "Prehistoric ****" would not begin to
> > describe what they'd say about me then :D

> So what's wrong with a handlebar mount for your weapon of choice? You
> might have to move a computer or light but it could be worth it. :D

I can see a problem if your weapon is recoilless and happens
to have a back blast danger area...

> And a trike would give you a stable operating base for a mortar as
> well.

Oh dear.

> And that might stop any rude comments anyone was considering making.
> :eek:

Unlikely ;)

Tam