How many people cycle because of you?

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
Reading about Bicycling Magazines Bike Town project I was interested to see that each person that receives a bike inspires 3+ others to start cycling.

How many people have you started cycling?

Four: wife and daughter (thank you Burley Piccolo!), and a friend and his wife (cheap mtbs for now... but they have the bug now). :cool:

Second daughter is already in her trailer... I am doing my part for the continuation of the **** ciclisticus species... ;)

I picked up my first road bike in 1970. All my friends jumped on the wagon after about 4 - 6 months. Their friends picked up on it from them. I'm taking a lot of credit that I may not deserve, but they did pick it up from me. P.S. Many of them turned out to be better cyclists than me. I love the sport, but never had great power.

I used to race in club crits back in college in the mid 70's. Some of my friends got me into mountain biking a few years ago, but I found I was enjoying the ride to and from the singetrack more than the singletrack.

The three guys that got me on the MTB... I now have them on the road. They thought they could pull hills until I ambushed them with a 3 mile long 6% grinder. Now that's a hill!

::dom:: said:
Reading about Bicycling Magazines Bike Town project I was interested to see that each person that receives a bike inspires 3+ others to start cycling.

How many people have you started cycling?
I got a recumbent tandem last year so my wife could start riding with me. She works retail and could not ride that often so I started riding with my neice and by the end of the summer my sister and her other daughter started riding with us too. So that is 4.

I picked 1-3. My wife started riding because of me, and while I've had several friends/coworkers purchase bikes because of me, I think most of them have become coat hangers.

I bought my mom a bike for mothers day around 10 years ago. She rode it once and it's been collection dust in her garage ever since. A friend bought a Trek Fuel mtb last summer, and it's NEVER been ridden, not even once.

Lets see...my wife three or four friends,the two guys who cars I stole.
That's all I can think of.

I just wanted to bump this thread back to the top. With the Holidays I was thinking there will be some kids with new bikes.

basso97 said:
I just wanted to bump this thread back to the top. With the Holidays I was thinking there will be some kids with new bikes.
well my 3 yr old has a brand new (to him) downhillish bike he's getting.
specialized hotrock frame. single speed. 20" al wheels. 50mm travel fork. easton monkeylight bars. carbon seatpost. things cost WAY too much, but ive had a blast building it. next up, sandblast and paint. flat black with gloss grey striping and accents done by an artist friend of mine.

i used to own my own bike shop.there were lots of people who never owned or had a decent bike.xsmoker was always on hand to help with those who could not make up their minds .i think he convinced at least more than two...your the man lon! see you on the road....i would have liked to try and get more cheeseburger eating fatties off the couch and out of the bucket but,sadley we are no longer in biz...

I put 9-15, because I know of this many. It's quite subjective though. For example, did they take up cycling only because of my example, or did others also inspire them? Also, who knows how many others may have taken up cycling because they simply saw me on the road.

One of my main incentives for cycling came from a gentleman in Minnesota, who appeared to be 50-60 years old. He had cycled all the way to St. Louis for a convention. In my early 30s at the time, I found this to be extremely inspirational. But he never knew that he was my inspiration.

I could say I had a direct influence on 4 other than family members.

Indirectly . . . I helped build over 30 miles of new single track in the past 6 years in 3 different trail systems. Mountain bike sales locally have been extremely strong during that time.

Marc
Calumet, MI

Two of my friends have bought bikes because of my example, though they were MTB's, not road bikes. Still, I've planted the seed and both plan to get road bikes in the near future. Additionally, my sister says she plans on joining the collegiate cycling team if she goes to the same school as me next year. So that's at least 3 right there...I have to say though, the stories of people buying bikes and never or scarcely riding them is pretty sad. The idea of an owned, unridden bike is really depressing to me.

Directly...none. My friends tend to hassle my lycra.

Indirectly, I did sell off a lot of old bikes that I learnt my mechanics on at far cheaper prices than department stores and bike shops, so maybe...