How many people look at bicycles in a movie?

Jeytown

Apr 26, 2006
I have two questions for anyone who reads this

1. when you watch a movie do you stop and a take more notice when the main actor gets on a bicycle to chase a villian or is using it as a part of his character (think 40 year old virgin or the movie with kevin bacon as a bike courier)
  2. what movie do you think has the coolest portrayal of any bicycle (either as a chase scene or anything general)
for myself when i watched 40 year old virgin i was dissapointed that he thought a huffy was it (im sure that product placement was a big factor )

you have to give it dark angel for putting a hot chick on a cool bike

anyone know what the bike was ??????
confused.gif

just on a side note what was teh movie with kevin bacon as a bike courier with samuel l jackson in it ???
confused.gif

also for extra points does anyone know what model bicycle that kevin bacon uses as his bicycle ?
confused.gif

One of the goofs in that film:

IMDB said:
Continuity: Jack's bike changes from a fixed gear (where the pedals move with the rear tire) to a freewheeler (coasting capabilities) multiple times during the film. Most apparent are the dance scene (fixed gear) and the race scene (freewheeler) where Jack coasts down the hill behind Voodoo/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091814/goofs

I always check to see what movie directors do with bicycles. There's a law that says you can't have real product placement in a movie unless the company OK's it - that's why you frequently see generic stuff. Usually the companies pay to get their products on film.

In ET the script was written for M&Ms but M&M said no way (not knowing how popular the film would be) so they changed it to Reese's pieces (I still think of ET when I see them).

American Flyers was king of product placement - they got money from Specialized, Shaver Sport, McDonalds... it was almost like a commercial.

Usually though, if you see a bike in a movie you can't really tell what kind it is... a sign that they couldn't get or didn't try to get product placement permission.

how about tyler durden in fight club when he's riding a tricycle around in circles as jack reads articles written in the third person by organs?

DiabloScott said:
In ET the script was written for M&Ms but M&M said no way (not knowing how popular the film would be) so they changed it to Reese's pieces (I still think of ET when I see them).
The bike in the ET chase scene was a Kuwahara and the stunt rider was Bob Haro.

cool as guys thanks now i dont feel alone in the universe

other people do this as well

i always find it cool when the movie at least tries to put a decent bike in the movie unlike 40 yr old virgin.........................

can anyone hazard a guess how much the huffy wiould have set them back

sorry i have a thing against huffy bikes

scourge.......

no offence to anyone who owns one

artmichalek said:
1) All the time
2) The '78 Masi Gran Criterium in Breaking Away.
Breaking Away... have that one in my Netflix movie queue.

I haven't had a chance to pop it in my DVD yet, but I just got Hell on Wheels. I heard some good comments about it from David Harmon and Sean Kelly - a movie/documentary about T-Mobile's attempt at the 2004 TDF w/ a focus on Eric Zabel.

So... I guess my answer to the question is yes, I pay attention to the bikes... and look for movies about them for that matter.

Sparhawk said:
I haven't had a chance to pop it in my DVD yet, but I just got Hell on Wheels. I heard some good comments about it from David Harmon and Sean Kelly - a movie/documentary about T-Mobile's attempt at the 2004 TDF w/ a focus on Eric Zabel.
You won't be disappointed. It's very well done. It does however help if you're familiar with the '03 Tour, because the filmakers chose to focus on the riders and pretty much ignore the rest of the race except for some details that would seem pretty unimportant out of context.