How Many Recumbent Cyclists Do We Currently Have?

Connie858

Mar 19, 2015
I was wondering if there were any other recumbent cyclists currently? as of 2015

I'm one for starters with an ICE Adventure 26 custom build. It has a Rohloff hub, its a folder (may be useful if I even get to the point of putting it in the car) and is a tadpole trike in blue.

ICE is a British company, which for me is useful, but there are not a lot of recumbents in the UK and even fewer recumbent trikes.

Generic picture - I'm still in the process of customising it. I have only had it 3 weeks and so far covered 100 miles in my rehab on it.

untitled.png

Based on the number of views, I'd say a few are around still. I only swing through once every 2-4 weeks. There's rarely any new traffic. This site was never exactly bustling, but for a while the mods gave it over to the spammers and chased all the long-time 'benters away and they've never come back.

I'm currently working on my NoCom, which has been a 'project' bike since I got it as a broken frame several years ago. Hopefully I can get it back on the road this spring.I'd love to do a few supported tours on it.

Reactions: rangerbentman
Based on the number of views, I'd say a few are around still. I only swing through once every 2-4 weeks. There's rarely any new traffic. This site was never exactly bustling, but for a while the mods gave it over to the spammers and chased all the long-time 'benters away and they've never come back.

I'm currently working on my NoCom, which has been a 'project' bike since I got it as a broken frame several years ago. Hopefully I can get it back on the road this spring.I'd love to do a few supported tours on it.
I think most have wandered off to BROL.

I have one recumbent and one semi-recumbent.

I signed up for this forum a long time ago but didn't visit much. Didn't post at all for a few years because all the recent posts looked like spam.

Setting up a web forum is pretty easy but the spam-control duties are a constant job. Automatic filters tend to annoy posters and occasionally get outwitted by spammers.

I got am email just now showing new topics (that mostly look real) so maybe somebody is keeping on top of the forum again.

I have two recumbents, one old Burley Koosah and a Sun Delta trike. Recumbents got me back into cycling after 4 decades of not riding, due to a bad back and both knees. I replaced the Koosah tiny hard seat with a RANS seat, as wide as the seat back and very plush.

I love the recumbents for their comfort and ease, just their cumbersome size makes carrying them to and from where I ride, a pain in the neck. Which is another place where I no longer hurt when I ride the 'bent bikes, my neck! And wrists!

I have a GIANT Hybrid as well, but that one hurts me, tore a meniscus in my left (bad) knee, getting on and off one day. Still ride it, just had to learn how to get on and off without doing more damage to my old broke knees!

I do dream of getting an ICE tadpole trike and doing some touring, when and if I ever get to retire, that is.

If you're interested in talking to fellow recumbent riders, you might want to think about contacting RUSA, Randonneuring USA. I know several folks, who ride the brevets every year, who ride recumbents.

I have one recumbent and one semi-recumbent.

I signed up for this forum a long time ago but didn't visit much. Didn't post at all for a few years because all the recent posts looked like spam.

Setting up a web forum is pretty easy but the spam-control duties are a constant job. Automatic filters tend to annoy posters and occasionally get outwitted by spammers.

I got am email just now showing new topics (that mostly look real) so maybe somebody is keeping on top of the forum again.

I signed up some years back and no one would ever approve my membership, so I eventually forgot about it. Then recently, I got an e-mail requesting me to come here and post. I like this place. People seem quite friendly, unlike another cycling forum I post on, but that's another story.

I too joined this forum though not to long ago.

Rode DF bikes for years then in 09 bought a Catrike Road, then a used Rans F5 (SWB) and had it coupled to drag with me on trips, and recently found an old Speed Ross (SWB) made in the UK no longer in production. Have it torn down in the garage but will be on the streets in about a week. Almost afraid to admit it also have a Giant Revive hanging around.

Reactions: Jcycle
I have been looking at recumbent bikes online, but I'm not sure where I should really start. I haven't ever seen any at my LBS.

Jcycle,
Not sure where you are located. I was lucky we have one LBS that handles recumbents here in the Tidewater Va area. Have Gazillion regular bike shops they don't sell them, nor will they order one but of course say they will work on them. Next closest shop that sells recumbents near me is in Richmond.

Online is a good place to start. I would NOT buy a bike/model without riding one like it before purchase.

If not new craigslist is an option. You might google " recycled recumbents" think his shop is in Wisconsin he gets bikes in does some refurbs and then sells them. When I bought the F5 he had a Barcroft for sale but I was to slow to inquire.

Keep searching you will find the bike that chooses you.

Just did a quick sniff on the internet and in Seattle their is a shop called Angle Lake Cyclery that sells new and used recumbents. Dont know anything about them.

The good news for you is that you live on the west coast where in my travels recumbents seem more popular. Many shops in the Portland area

I have only used recumbent stationary bikes. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on one in my area, and I frequent the bike trail in our town almost daily. I heard that they are more popular in the Western part of the United States, but here in Ohio, I don't think I've ever seen one unless it was on television.

I have never seen anyone use it here in my city, or even in the entire country, now that I have thought about it. I think they are a bit more expensive, and people who would need it would definitely want to use their money on something else, like a proper car to take them places. For exercise, they can always go to the gym, or special order the equipment at home, and they wouldn't have to go outside, purchasing this, and risking getting run over by cars that wouldn't be able to see them.

@OursIsTheFury, why are you posting if you don't like the recumbents?

They are more expensive, true, but so are Mercedes and BMW, it's what you want to drive, right?

As far as getting run over by a car, I have a flag on a 5 foot stick, 3-4 flashing lights front and rear, wear a WHITE extreme sports type helmet. Anyone into seeing me, ain't looking!

Many cyclists, DF and 'bents are hit by cars every year, it is usually a driver not paying attention OR a cyclist doing something risky, like blasting thru an intersection on a red light.

I was wondering if there were any other recumbent cyclists currently? as of 2015

I'm one for starters with an ICE Adventure 26 custom build. It has a Rohloff hub, its a folder (may be useful if I even get to the point of putting it in the car) and is a tadpole trike in blue.

ICE is a British company, which for me is useful, but there are not a lot of recumbents in the UK and even fewer recumbent trikes.

Generic picture - I'm still in the process of customising it. I have only had it 3 weeks and so far covered 100 miles in my rehab on it.

View attachment 394
I'm one too; also with an ICE Adventure (20") which I've owned just over two years and covered just over 3000Km with many custom mod's ( mainly to make me more visible but also with elec pedal assist - it now weighs in at around 40kgs). If anyone wants to hook up for a ride I'm based in the Peak District!

I signed up some years back and no one would ever approve my membership, so I eventually forgot about it. Then recently, I got an e-mail requesting me to come here and post. I like this place. People seem quite friendly, unlike another cycling forum I post on, Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ but that's another story.

I live near a cycle shop that sold bike E recumbents although I see many other brands as well. I belong to a bike co op, and bought my cousins old bike E after he moved away. I think he has another where he lives now.