How many spacers is too many?

Q

Qi

I ride a MTB with a Cane Creek IS-6. This creates the need for a couple more headset spacers. I'm
looking at about 40mm (4x10mm), total 80mm (including stem stack height). How many spacers is too
many? Does it matter? Is there a rule based on steerer size?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Qi

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:37:31 -0700, "Qi" <[email protected]> may have
said:

>I ride a MTB with a Cane Creek IS-6. This creates the need for a couple more headset spacers. I'm
>looking at about 40mm (4x10mm), total 80mm (including stem stack height). How many spacers is too
>many? Does it matter? Is there a rule based on steerer size?

If the steerer is steel, the limit in most cases is the number of spacers that will fit without
putting the stem's top too far above the tube. If the steerer is carbon, there is a definite and
usually small upper limit to the length of the spacer stack; I seem to recall that it's in the
vicinity of 1cm for most carbon steerers, and varies somewhat by manufacturer. With aluminum,
consult the manufacturer's specs to see if there's a limit. 40mm of spacers on a steel steer tube
should not cause any problem as long as it doesn't push the stem clamp's top more than 5mm past the
top of the steerer. There are bikes which are delivered new with more spacers than this, and with no
requirement that it must be reduced.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> If the steerer is steel, the limit in most cases is the number of spacers that will fit without
> putting the stem's top too far above the tube. If the steerer is carbon, there is a definite and
> usually small upper limit to the length of the spacer stack; I seem to recall that it's in the
> vicinity of 1cm for most carbon steerers, and varies somewhat by manufacturer.

Definately check with the fork manufacturer regarding carbon steerers. One rule is 25mm of spacers
for a 1" fork with carbon steerer. 35mm for a 1
1/8" fork. For metal steerers, you can go much higher.

On 2/28/04 9:20 AM, in article [email protected],
"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:37:31 -0700, "Qi" <[email protected]> may have said:
>
>> I ride a MTB with a Cane Creek IS-6. This creates the need for a couple more headset spacers. I'm
>> looking at about 40mm (4x10mm), total 80mm (including stem stack height). How many spacers is too
>> many? Does it matter? Is there a rule based on steerer size?
>
If the steerer is carbon, there is a definite and usually small
> upper limit to the length of the spacer stack; I seem to recall that it's in the vicinity of 1cm
> for most carbon steerers, and varies somewhat by manufacturer.

Reynolds website indicates no more than 1 inch of spacers for a 1 inch carbon steerer and 1.5 inches
for a 1 1/8 steerer.

Baird