How many spices ...

Pandora

Guest
...do you use in your cooking?
I have some fifty, here is my collection:
http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg

My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix of
spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.

And you?
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> ..do you use in your cooking?
> I have some fifty, here is my collection:
> http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>
> My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix of
> spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
> chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>
> And you?
> Cheers
> Pandora

I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
paprika the most.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> ..do you use in your cooking?
>> I have some fifty, here is my collection:
>> http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>>
>> My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix
>> of spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of
>> hot chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>>
>> And you?
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
> I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
> paprika the most.

Thank you for your answer. What is peppercorns?
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>..do you use in your cooking?
>>>I have some fifty, here is my collection:
>>>http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
>>>http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>>>
>>>My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix
>>>of spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of
>>>hot chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>>>
>>>And you?
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora
>>>

>>I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
>>I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
>>paprika the most.

> Thank you for your answer. What is peppercorns?
> Pandora

whole black pepper to be ground, or used whole for things like stock.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
>>>I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
>>>paprika the most.

>> Thank you for your answer. What is peppercorns?
>> Pandora
>>

> whole black pepper to be ground, or used whole for things like stock.

Oh!! We call it black pepper. Is it the same ?
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Thank you for your answer. What is peppercorns?
>>>Pandora
>>>

>>whole black pepper to be ground, or used whole for things like stock.

> Oh!! We call it black pepper. Is it the same ?
> Cheers
> Pandora

well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff,
though :)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>whole black pepper to be ground, or used whole for things like stock.

>> Oh!! We call it black pepper. Is it the same ?
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff, though
> :)

So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
Yes?
Thank you
pandora

Pandora wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Oh!! We call it black pepper. Is it the same ?
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora
>>>

>>well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff, though
>>:)

> So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
> Yes?
> Thank you
> pandora

peppercorns are the whole dried berries of the pepper plant (I'm not
sure of the scientific name). ground black pepper or "chopped", i'm
guessing, are those peppercorns dried up.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:p[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff,
>>>though :)

>> So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
>> Yes?
>> Thank you
>> pandora

> peppercorns are the whole dried berries of the pepper plant (I'm not sure
> of the scientific name). ground black pepper or "chopped", i'm guessing,
> are those peppercorns dried up.

"Dried berries" or "peppercorns dried up" , are not the same ?
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
>>>Yes?
>>>Thank you
>>>pandora

>>peppercorns are the whole dried berries of the pepper plant (I'm not sure
>>of the scientific name). ground black pepper or "chopped", i'm guessing,
>>are those peppercorns dried up.

> "Dried berries" or "peppercorns dried up" , are not the same ?
> Pandora

peppercorns *are* the dried berries of the plant.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:44:05 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>..do you use in your cooking?
>I have some fifty, here is my collection:
>http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>
>My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix of
>spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
>chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>
>And you?
>Cheers
>Pandora

I never counted. Wait just a minute.....

[shuffle, shuffle, rummage, rummage]

****, I lost count, but I estimate my total to be about 50, too.

I keep them in clusters approximately arranged by ethnic/national
cuisines. I.e., Euro-herbs like thyme, bay, dill, etc. are in one
group; Spanish/Mexican spices like smoked hot paprika, cumin, Mexican
oregano, dried chiles, etc. are in another; and Indian/Asian blends
and spices like ginger, garam masala, curry powders, etc. are in a
third. Then there are the various odd ones like a tin of powdered
wasabi and a big pack of herbs de Provence that get clustered in
another place because they physically don't fit the appropriate
shelves.

Not to mention the frozen flavorings like several packs of basil I
have in the freezer.

modom

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:p[email protected]...

>>>peppercorns are the whole dried berries of the pepper plant (I'm not sure
>>>of the scientific name). ground black pepper or "chopped", i'm guessing,
>>>are those peppercorns dried up.

>> "Dried berries" or "peppercorns dried up" , are not the same ?
>> Pandora
>>

> peppercorns *are* the dried berries of the plant.

OK! Thank you very much for explanations!
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> ..do you use in your cooking?
> I have some fifty, here is my collection:
> http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>
> My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix of
> spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
> chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>
> And you?
> Cheers
> Pandora

i didn't count, but here they are. Not terribly organized, but I know where
everything is.
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/spice1.jpg
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/spice2.jpg
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/spice3.jpg

it's time to refill everything. I need to see what I have in the freezer and
then make a penzey's list and go shopping.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Pandora wrote:

> > well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff, though
> > :)

> So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
> Yes?

No. Peppercorns are what you grind to get ground pepper :)

Are we talking spices, herbs, combinations, variations of the same thing, bottle
sauces etc.?
I counted close to 50 jars and bottles, but there were some duplicates, like
four different types of curry powders, allspice and ground allspice, ground
cinnamon, cinnamon sticks and cinnamon sugar, fresh mushroom, canned mushrooms
and Chinese dried mushrooms, chicken, beef and vegetable stock cubes and cans
and boxes of broths. Then there are the various oils, vinegar, red wine
vinegar, white vinegar, brining vinegar, rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar
etc. Then there are the hot sauces, at least a dozen of those. Mustard.... dry
powdered, hot mustard, Dijon, prepared etc. Soy Sauce, light soy sauce,
Teriyaki.....

"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:44:05 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>..do you use in your cooking?
>>I have some fifty, here is my collection:
>>http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>>
>>My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix
>>of
>>spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
>>chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>>
>>And you?
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> I never counted. Wait just a minute.....
>
> [shuffle, shuffle, rummage, rummage]
>
> ****, I lost count, but I estimate my total to be about 50, too.

Ohhhh! Wonderful! Do you use all?

> I keep them in clusters approximately arranged by ethnic/national
> cuisines. I.e., Euro-herbs like thyme, bay, dill, etc. are in one
> group; Spanish/Mexican spices like smoked hot paprika, cumin, Mexican
> oregano, dried chiles, etc. are in another; and Indian/Asian blends
> and spices like ginger, garam masala, curry powders, etc. are in a
> third.

Mhhh! I keep them separated too! I have also a mix of "american spices";
I miss "Garam Masala" ! Do you buy it or you make it by yourself?

Then there are the various odd ones like a tin of powdered
> wasabi

I miss this too! It is very odd a dried wasabi! I thought it was a creme!

and a big pack of herbs de Provence that get clustered in
> another place because they physically don't fit the appropriate
> shelves.

I must build anoter shelf too! They are likely to be too much!

> Not to mention the frozen flavorings like several packs of basil I
> have in the freezer.

Uahuuuuuuu!!! (translation: WOW)!!!!!!
I imagine that your cooking is full of spicies and good as I like!
Thank you
Pandora!!!

> modom

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:08:09 GMT, sarah bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
>I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
>paprika the most.

Careful. As soon as Sheldon sees this thread he'll be screaming
that herbs are not spices.

I don't know how many I have, but I have *everything* judging by
the sheer volume of them.

-sw

My favorite spice (actually it is a mixture of spices) is Old Bay
Seasoning. Since I've given up red meat I use it all the time with
fish and poultry.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> > well, I would call the pre-ground stuff "black pepper". same stuff,
>> > though
>> > :)

>> So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
>> Yes?

> No. Peppercorns are what you grind to get ground pepper :)
>
> Are we talking spices, herbs, combinations, variations of the same thing,
> bottle
> sauces etc.?
> I counted close to 50 jars and bottles, but there were some duplicates,
> like
> four different types of curry powders, allspice and ground allspice,
> ground
> cinnamon, cinnamon sticks and cinnamon sugar, fresh mushroom, canned
> mushrooms

Oh yes! I have duplicates too: ground and not cinnamon, different types of
curry etc...

> and Chinese dried mushrooms,

Oh Yes Shijtake mushrooms. I don't find them very tasty: prefer pocii
mushrooms.

chicken, beef and vegetable stock cubes and cans
> and boxes of broths. Then there are the various oils, vinegar, red wine
> vinegar, white vinegar, brining vinegar, rice wine vinegar, balsamic
> vinegar
> etc.

I didn't count bottles of oils and vinegars :(

Then there are the hot sauces, at least a dozen of those. Mustard.... dry
> powdered, hot mustard, Dijon, prepared etc. Soy Sauce, light soy sauce,
> Teriyaki.....

What is Teriyaki? A mexican sauce?
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> ..do you use in your cooking?
> I have some fifty, here is my collection:
> http://tinypic.com/juy1if.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/juy1oz.jpg
>
> My favourite are: Curry, mix of peppers (black, pink, white, green); mix of
> spices for cous cous; tuscany herbs, provence herbs, mexican mix of hot
> chili peppers, curcuma and mushrooms and herbs powder.
>
> And you?
> Cheers
> Pandora

I have (and throw out to replace each year or two) over 50 bottles,
bags or containers of spices and seasonings, plus I grow several like
parsley, rosemary, basil, sage, thyme, scallions, etc.. Among the
dried spices/seasonings, I use most the various peppercorns, garlic,
flavored peppers, citrus peels, Penzeys Bavarian and Italian blends,
garlic, toasted onion bits and baking spices/extracts most often. What
a difference for just the right, more exotic flavor seasonings and
spices can make in otherwise ordinary cooking!

PickyPicksNpicksNpicks....

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:08:09 GMT, sarah bennett
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
> >I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
> >paprika the most.

> Careful. As soon as Sheldon sees this thread he'll be screaming
> that herbs are not spices.
>
> I don't know how many I have, but I have *everything* judging by
> the sheer volume of them.
>
> -sw

<lol> I know that feeling...

I'm on the lookout for a lazy suzan that will fit inside the cabinet
where I keep my herbs and spices.

I also maintain a small live herb garden.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson