How many spices ...

Pandora wrote:

>> When I bought my house many years ago I ripped out and rearranged the
>> kitchen
>> before I moved in. My father in law crafted a cabinet to go next to the
>> stove.
>> It had a very wide, deep drawer that I could put my spices in. The bottom
>> part
>> was a tip out trash/recycling cabinet. I loved that thing
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/breakfast10.jpg
>> this new place I am renting has these little drawers that are useless to
>> hold
>> most things, but my spices do fit in there so I use them for that.

> Yes It's very nice! As I told you the post before, I like very much those
> round inox boxes with other boxes inside! Have you bought them just for this
> purpose?
> Cheers
> Pandora

yeah, i got one from a catalog years ago and when it arrived the top was all
scratched up so I called them and asked if I could return it for a replacement
and they sent the replacement and told me to keep the scratched one. So I kept
it and used it. the only issues I have with them is that I have to keep the
spices that I use frequently in there as they are exposed to the air and if
they get knocked around they will actually get mixed up in the cups. I spent
weeks picking cardamom seeds out of my cinnamon.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

>>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/spice2.jpg
>>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/spice3.jpg

> I like those alluminium or inox boxes! Do you buy them with spices inside?
>

> You have enough!
> Cheers and thank you
> pandora

no, I got mine empty. I think you could order them with spices inside but i
didn't trust the quality of the spices. I go through and dump and replace my
spices every few months. I need to do it this week and then go shopping for
replacements.

--

Pandora wrote:

> Then there are the hot sauces, at least a dozen of those. Mustard.... dry
> > powdered, hot mustard, Dijon, prepared etc. Soy Sauce, light soy sauce,
> > Teriyaki.....

> What is Teriyaki? A mexican sauce?

It is a Japanese sauce. It is great with chicken.

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:p[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>>>
>>> When I bought my house many years ago I ripped out and rearranged the
>>> kitchen
>>> before I moved in. My father in law crafted a cabinet to go next to the
>>> stove.
>>> It had a very wide, deep drawer that I could put my spices in. The
>>> bottom
>>> part
>>> was a tip out trash/recycling cabinet. I loved that thing
>>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/breakfast10.jpg
>>> this new place I am renting has these little drawers that are useless to
>>> hold
>>> most things, but my spices do fit in there so I use them for that.

>> Yes It's very nice! As I told you the post before, I like very much those
>> round inox boxes with other boxes inside! Have you bought them just for
>> this
>> purpose?
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> yeah, i got one from a catalog years ago and when it arrived the top was
> all
> scratched up so I called them and asked if I could return it for a
> replacement
> and they sent the replacement and told me to keep the scratched one. So I
> kept
> it and used it. the only issues I have with them is that I have to keep
> the
> spices that I use frequently in there as they are exposed to the air and
> if
> they get knocked around they will actually get mixed up in the cups. I
> spent
> weeks picking cardamom seeds out of my cinnamon.

Very very beautiful!
And ROTFL! I have had the same problem with a pot of curcuma and a pot of
pepper.
They crashed on the floor :))
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:p[email protected]...

>> I like those alluminium or inox boxes! Do you buy them with spices
>> inside?
>>

>> You have enough!
>> Cheers and thank you
>> pandora
>>

> no, I got mine empty. I think you could order them with spices inside but
> didn't trust the quality of the spices. I go through and dump and replace
> my
> spices every few months. I need to do it this week and then go shopping
> for
> replacements.

yes is the better thing :)
pan

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

> Not to mention the frozen flavorings like several packs of basil I
> have in the freezer.
>
> modom

How do you prepare your basil for freezing? I'm anticipating growing
a couple of pots of basil in the spring and will work at getting enough
ahead for winter months. tia.....Sharon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:08:09 GMT, sarah bennett
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >I just counted 31. But I don't use half of them very often at all.
> > >I use whole peppercorns, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, rosemary and
> > >paprika the most.

> > Careful. As soon as Sheldon sees this thread he'll be screaming
> > that herbs are not spices.
> >
> > I don't know how many I have, but I have *everything* judging by
> > the sheer volume of them.
> >
> > -sw

> <lol> I know that feeling...
>
> I'm on the lookout for a lazy suzan that will fit inside the cabinet
> where I keep my herbs and spices.
>
> I also maintain a small live herb garden.
> --
> Om.

Do you have luck maintaining it through the winter? Or you may
be in a different climate. I'm in SW Ontario Canada. I have a grow
light over mine, but the only one that does really well are the chives.
My basil is really spindly.....Sharon

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Then there are the hot sauces, at least a dozen of those. Mustard.... dry
>> > powdered, hot mustard, Dijon, prepared etc. Soy Sauce, light soy
>> > sauce,
>> > Teriyaki.....

>> What is Teriyaki? A mexican sauce?

> It is a Japanese sauce. It is great with chicken.

Is it a dry spice or liquid like wasabi?
Cheers
panda

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:50:15 -0500, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Not to mention the frozen flavorings like several packs of basil I
>> have in the freezer.

> How do you prepare your basil for freezing? I'm anticipating growing
>a couple of pots of basil in the spring and will work at getting enough
>ahead for winter months. tia.....Sharon

I've had good luck picking off the leaves, washing and drying them,
and putting them into plastic freezer bags. The trick seems to be
getting all the air out you can. I roll the basil leaves into a
cigar-like cylinder inside the bag and gently squeeze the air out. It
will darken some in the freezer, but it doesn't turn black like
frostbit basil does.

modom

Pandora wrote:
> "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...

>>>So, if I understand well, peppercorns is chopped black pepper?
>>>Yes?

>>No. Peppercorns are what you grind to get ground pepper :)
>>
>>Are we talking spices, herbs, combinations, variations of the same thing,
>>bottle
>>sauces etc.?
>>I counted close to 50 jars and bottles, but there were some duplicates,
>>like
>>four different types of curry powders, allspice and ground allspice,
>>ground
>>cinnamon, cinnamon sticks and cinnamon sugar, fresh mushroom, canned
>>mushrooms

> Oh yes! I have duplicates too: ground and not cinnamon, different types of
> curry etc...
>

>>and Chinese dried mushrooms,

> Oh Yes Shijtake mushrooms. I don't find them very tasty: prefer pocii
> mushrooms.
>
> chicken, beef and vegetable stock cubes and cans
>
>>and boxes of broths. Then there are the various oils, vinegar, red wine
>>vinegar, white vinegar, brining vinegar, rice wine vinegar, balsamic
>>vinegar
>>etc.

> I didn't count bottles of oils and vinegars :(
>
> Then there are the hot sauces, at least a dozen of those. Mustard.... dry
>
>>powdered, hot mustard, Dijon, prepared etc. Soy Sauce, light soy sauce,
>>Teriyaki.....

> What is Teriyaki? A mexican sauce?
> Cheers
> Pandora

It is a sauce that is sometimes used in Japan but more commonly used in
the US. The basic one contains soy sauce, mirin (a sweet cooking wine)
and sugar. Ginger and garlic can also be added. It is available as a
bottled product but it always taste better if you make it fresh.

Pandora wrote:
maxine wrote:
> > I just counted over 100, but it might be more like 90, since I do have
> > some jars of whole and others of ground of the same spice or herb. I
> > did also count a few mixtures, and just ran out of curry powder
> > tonight....

> How manyyy! And where you keep them? All in a shelf?

My husband put two 3-shelf can holder wire shelf thingies on the inside
of the double base cabinet. Plus there are a few on the lazy susan
tower on top of the microwave. It will hold them 2-deep for the large
bottles. Since the back row can only be seen from the top, I got some
small stickers and wrote the names of the spices on them and stuck them
to the caps.

The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it sealed up
with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every thing else
in the cabinet!

maxine in ri

> Thank you very much for your answer!
> cheers
> pandora
> >
> > maxine in ri

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
> maxine wrote:
>> > I just counted over 100, but it might be more like 90, since I do have
>> > some jars of whole and others of ground of the same spice or herb. I
>> > did also count a few mixtures, and just ran out of curry powder
>> > tonight....

>> How manyyy! And where you keep them? All in a shelf?

> My husband put two 3-shelf can holder wire shelf thingies on the inside
> of the double base cabinet. Plus there are a few on the lazy susan
> tower on top of the microwave. It will hold them 2-deep for the large
> bottles. Since the back row can only be seen from the top, I got some
> small stickers and wrote the names of the spices on them and stuck them
> to the caps.

Great idea!

> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it sealed up
> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every thing else
> in the cabinet!

What is a Hing/aesefotida?
cheeers
Panda

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it sealed up
>> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every thing else
>> in the cabinet!

>What is a Hing/aesefotida?
>cheeers
>Panda

It's an Indian spice with a famously foul aroma. Some people in India
avoid onions and garlic for religious reasons (I think that's right,
and I'm sure to be corrected it it's wrong) and use hing in cooking
instead. Allegedly, once it's cooked a little it adds a pleasing
flavor to some foods.

modom

"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it sealed up
>>> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every thing else
>>> in the cabinet!

>>What is a Hing/aesefotida?
>>cheeers
>>Panda
>>

> It's an Indian spice with a famously foul aroma. Some people in India
> avoid onions and garlic for religious reasons (I think that's right,
> and I'm sure to be corrected it it's wrong) and use hing in cooking
> instead. Allegedly, once it's cooked a little it adds a pleasing
> flavor to some foods.

Oh! I didn't know! I have googled but I havent found! So you say it tastes
like onions and garlic? Or is it just to give a flavour of something to
dishes?

Cheers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:

> "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:p[email protected]...

>>> Yes It's very nice! As I told you the post before, I like very much those
>>> round inox boxes with other boxes inside! Have you bought them just for
>>> this
>>> purpose?
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora

>> yeah, i got one from a catalog years ago and when it arrived the top was
>> all
>> scratched up so I called them and asked if I could return it for a
>> replacement
>> and they sent the replacement and told me to keep the scratched one. So I
>> kept
>> it and used it. the only issues I have with them is that I have to keep
>> the
>> spices that I use frequently in there as they are exposed to the air and
>> if
>> they get knocked around they will actually get mixed up in the cups. I
>> spent
>> weeks picking cardamom seeds out of my cinnamon.

> Very very beautiful!
> And ROTFL! I have had the same problem with a pot of curcuma and a pot of
> pepper.
> They crashed on the floor :))
> Cheers
> Pandora

curcuma? Is that turmeric? The yellow powder?
I don't think you can see it in the pictures but I keep bay leaves and
cinnamon sticks loose in the spice drawers. I just don't use them that often
but they smell nice in the drawers. My dad and his wife buy me sets from
Penzey's and they come packages with bay leaf and cinnamon sticks so i just
throw them in there.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

How many spices? I lost count after 91. Plus, there all of the
vinegars, liqueurs, wines, hot sauces, mustards, 5 kinds of salt, Maggi
Wurze, etc. Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:22:13 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
connected the dots and wrote:

~
~"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
~news:[email protected]...
~> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
~> wrote:
~>
~>
~>>>
~>>> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it
sealed up
~>>> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every
thing else
~>>> in the cabinet!
~>>
~>>What is a Hing/aesefotida?
~>>cheeers
~>>Panda
~>>
~> It's an Indian spice with a famously foul aroma. Some people in
India
~> avoid onions and garlic for religious reasons (I think that's
right,
~> and I'm sure to be corrected it it's wrong) and use hing in cooking
~> instead. Allegedly, once it's cooked a little it adds a pleasing
~> flavor to some foods.
~
~Oh! I didn't know! I have googled but I havent found! So you say it
tastes
~like onions and garlic? Or is it just to give a flavour of something
~dishes?
~
~Cheers
~Pandora
~>
~>
~> modom
~

You may not have found it because I spelled it wrong. According to
our own Rupen Rao, it is spelled "asafoetida".

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=180

Ciao,
maxine in rhode island

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:22:13 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
connected the dots and wrote:

~
~"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
~news:[email protected]...
~> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
~> wrote:
~>
~>
~>>>
[...]
It flavors the dish instead of the alliums (onion and garlic). It is
also supposed to reduce flatulence, a common problem in folks who eat
beans. (Flatulence: gas out the backside)

maxine in ri

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:22:13 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~
> ~"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> ~news:[email protected]...
> ~> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> ~> wrote:
> ~>
> ~>
> ~>>>
> ~>>> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it
> sealed up
> ~>>> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every
> thing else
> ~>>> in the cabinet!
> ~>>
> ~>>What is a Hing/aesefotida?
> ~>>cheeers
> ~>>Panda
> ~>>
> ~> It's an Indian spice with a famously foul aroma. Some people in
> India
> ~> avoid onions and garlic for religious reasons (I think that's
> right,
> ~> and I'm sure to be corrected it it's wrong) and use hing in cooking
> ~> instead. Allegedly, once it's cooked a little it adds a pleasing
> ~> flavor to some foods.
> ~
> ~Oh! I didn't know! I have googled but I havent found! So you say it
> tastes
> ~like onions and garlic? Or is it just to give a flavour of something
> ~dishes?
> ~
> ~Cheers
> ~Pandora
> ~>
> ~>
> ~> modom
> ~
> It flavors the dish instead of the alliums (onion and garlic). It is
> also supposed to reduce flatulence, a common problem in folks who eat
> beans. (Flatulence: gas out the backside)
>
> maxine in ri

It is indeed foul smelling, but I learned very quickly to love it. I can
just think the word aesefotida and my salivary glands start working. I
believe it is used in foods in the northern part of India. I think it is
used in very few countries, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Dee Dee

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:49:38 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:22:13 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
>> connected the dots and wrote:
>>
>> ~
>> ~"modom" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> ~news:[email protected]...
>> ~> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:00:49 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
>> ~> wrote:
>> ~>
>> ~>
>> ~>>>
>> ~>>> The Hing/aesefotida however, didn't need a label. I have it
>> sealed up
>> ~>>> with tape so that it doesn't share it's fragrance with every
>> thing else
>> ~>>> in the cabinet!
>> ~>>
>> ~>>What is a Hing/aesefotida?
>> ~>>cheeers
>> ~>>Panda
>> ~>>
>> ~> It's an Indian spice with a famously foul aroma. Some people in
>> India
>> ~> avoid onions and garlic for religious reasons (I think that's
>> right,
>> ~> and I'm sure to be corrected it it's wrong) and use hing in cooking
>> ~> instead. Allegedly, once it's cooked a little it adds a pleasing
>> ~> flavor to some foods.
>> ~
>> ~Oh! I didn't know! I have googled but I havent found! So you say it
>> tastes
>> ~like onions and garlic? Or is it just to give a flavour of something
>> ~dishes?
>> ~
>> ~Cheers
>> ~Pandora
>> ~>
>> ~>
>> ~> modom
>> ~
>> It flavors the dish instead of the alliums (onion and garlic). It is
>> also supposed to reduce flatulence, a common problem in folks who eat
>> beans. (Flatulence: gas out the backside)
>>
>> maxine in ri

>It is indeed foul smelling, but I learned very quickly to love it. I can
>just think the word aesefotida and my salivary glands start working. I
>believe it is used in foods in the northern part of India. I think it is
>used in very few countries, but correct me if I'm wrong.
>Dee Dee

I'm comin' in late here, but I too like asafoetida. It smells like
cat pee which does, in fact, beg the question "why would you try it,
Tammy? <whomever>" Well I tried it because friends recommended it,
and it does indeed have a fine je ne sais quoi when added to food,
definitely allium-like. I've added it to my very own "Marysville
Masala" spice blend :)

TammyM, born in Marysville