• 5 meaning he won't win again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 39 28.1%

Votes: 76 54.7%

Votes: 24 17.3%

• Total voters

allgoo19

Aug 28, 2003
My impression of him talking about the next tour in the tonight show looked pretty positive. My prediction is 7.

It is my belief that the hardest part of another Tour win will be maintaining his personal life. Seems he and his wife will be going separate ways, he says it is still a friendship relationship.
It that is ture Im sure it wont affect his training if his heart has been ripped from his soul it could prestent a challange to focus on proper training.

I think that if he can get number 6 next year (praying to God) he will retire. He said after the T-mobile race this year that he would race the T-mobile again next year, but it didn't sound like he'd be doing it in 2005.

Besides.... if he can get his 6th next year (still praying to God) I think it may take another 100 years of the TDF before anyone can do it again.

I'd be surprised if he wins another. He is a great champion but I think Jan or Tyler will do it next year.

Looking at this year's Lance performance, many people thought it was a sign of the aging. Lance told Leno at the show, he had some illness(Like stomach flue?) but he didn't take it seriously and didn't take proper treatment. "I will not make the same mistake again." he said. "I took it for granted the success in the past, almost forgot, after all this is the toughest race in the world."

By the way, oldest TdF winner was 36 years old.

Originally posted by allgoo19
My impression of him talking about the next tour in the tonight show looked pretty positive. My prediction is 7.

First thing first, the only ppl that seem to believe that Lance shall win again are fellow Americans. He can only win again if his supporting cast gets stronger. Would not shock me if Postal offered Jan a contract to help Lance win. Remember Lance only beat Jan because of the TTT. Also luck on his side with the huge crash and Hamilton not feeling well either. I can see him DNF next years TdF with some bogus excuse....

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
First thing first, the only ppl that seem to believe that Lance shall win again are fellow Americans. He can only win again if his supporting cast gets stronger. Would not shock me if Postal offered Jan a contract to help Lance win. Remember Lance only beat Jan because of the TTT. Also luck on his side with the huge crash and Hamilton not feeling well either. I can see him DNF next years TdF with some bogus excuse....

Memph

Whooooi. This is getting pretty emotional.

First year for Lance, right out of hospital, nobody, I mean NOBODY even including ANY american thought Lance was going to win the race. Even after his voctory, people were saying "Because Pantani wasn't there. He can beat Lance easily," and "Ulrich wasn't there. Lance was lucky." Even I thought Lance's victory was the craziest thing ever happened to the history of the sports.

He kept winning, beating everybody including Pantani, Ulrich. I bet everybody outside the US was thinking, each year, there would be no more victory for Lance but he kept proving they were wrong. I heard every possible negative opinion on Lance whenever he had one bad day, making it sound like that was the last day of Lance's career.

Sure, Lance is human. There will be an end of his career some day. The way I look at the confidence he has shown, that day doesn't seem to come any time soon.

At the Tonight Show Lance said, "I won't go back to the race for second place." There was a big applause from the audience.

Does it make you feel bad or disappointed if Lance win next year, Memphmann?
:)

Originally posted by Memphmann

Memph

Ha! Do you seriously think that the only people who think Lance will win a 6th are Americans? How closly do you follow international cycling media coverage? The best part was, "remember Lance only beat Jan because of the TTT." Holy ****! I nearly chocked on my cheeseburger! Pretend for a second Jan won, you could just as easily say, "the only reason Jan won was because Lance was dehydrated in the first TT." or "the only reason Jan won was because of the time Lance lost when he crashed on stage 15." or maybe "the only reason Jan won was because Lance was shaken up after having to take it off-road to avoid the Beloki crash." You could go on and on, but you don't win 5 consecutive TDF's out of luck and one TTT. I seriously can't believe you would say that.

Originally posted by allgoo19
Whooooi. This is getting pretty emotional.

First year for Lance, right out of hospital, nobody, I mean NOBODY even including ANY american thought Lance was going to win the race. Even after his voctory, people were saying "Because Pantani wasn't there. He can beat Lance easily," and "Ulrich wasn't there. Lance was lucky." Even I thought Lance's victory was the craziest thing ever happened to the history of the sports.

He kept winning, beating everybody including Pantani, Ulrich. I bet everybody outside the US was thinking, each year, there would be no more victory for Lance but he kept proving they were wrong. I heard every possible negative opinion on Lance whenever he had one bad day, making it sound like that was the last day of Lance's career.

Sure, Lance is human. There will be an end of his career some day. The way I look at the confidence he has shown, that day doesn't seem to come any time soon.

At the Tonight Show Lance said, "I won't go back to the race for second place." There was a big applause from the audience.

Does it make you feel bad or disappointed if Lance win next year, Memphmann?
:)

To be honest, I could care less who wins next year. TdF is a joke of a race now. Not like it use to be. More important races to follow. My feelings are that Lance needs a stronger team for next years victory. Also believe that Lemond was a greater American Cyclists then Armstrong.
What was Lance suppose to say on the "Tonight Show", I'm going to lose? Of course he would say that on an American show to American ppl.

Memph

Originally posted by VitaminE
Ha! Do you seriously think that the only people who think Lance will win a 6th are Americans? How closly do you follow international cycling media coverage? The best part was, "remember Lance only beat Jan because of the TTT." Holy ****! I nearly chocked on my cheeseburger! Pretend for a second Jan won, you could just as easily say, "the only reason Jan won was because Lance was dehydrated in the first TT." or "the only reason Jan won was because of the time Lance lost when he crashed on stage 15." or maybe "the only reason Jan won was because Lance was shaken up after having to take it off-road to avoid the Beloki crash." You could go on and on, but you don't win 5 consecutive TDF's out of luck and one TTT. I seriously can't believe you would say that.

Why would I not say that? Here are a few more what ifs: What if Lance finally gets caught for doping like Carl Lewis? What if Lance had a weaker team? What if Lancewas a ral cyclists and rode a few more important races? What if Lance didn't have big American $$ behind him and in order to keep cycling popular in the US, they allowed Lance to win? Alot od what-if's.

I truly believe that Lance is good, not great. Does not have the # of victories behind him like a few other GREAT cyclists who wrote more then just the Tour.

As I stated, the Americans shall b!tch the loudest over this topic....

Memph

It still amazes me how some of us still have short-term memory when it comes to Armstrong. Let's alll say for the sake of argument, he never came back from cancer and had retired in 1997. He still would have had a remarkable career - world championship, one-day wins, tour stages, etc. A lot better than the average pro-cyclist. And now, like anyone at the top, he has his detractors. Doping, you say? Please educate us - to what are you referring? Weaker Team? US Postal was a real juggernaut in the late 90's weren't they? I don't recall teams lining up to sign him in 96-97. The team is what it is now, directly because of him. I doubt very much that US Postal would have made it past 1999 or 2000 had Armstrong not won the Tour when he did. And anyone that can put the most talented cyclist in the world(Ullrich), into second place in the Tour, THREE times, is nothing short of a "great" cyclist. Please educate yourself if you're going to get up on your soapbox.

Originally posted by JDM
It still amazes me how some of us still have short-term memory when it comes to Armstrong. Let's alll say for the sake of argument, he never came back from cancer and had retired in 1997. He still would have had a remarkable career - world championship, one-day wins, tour stages, etc. A lot better than the average pro-cyclist. And now, like anyone at the top, he has his detractors. Doping, you say? Please educate us - to what are you referring? Weaker Team? US Postal was a real juggernaut in the late 90's weren't they? I don't recall teams lining up to sign him in 96-97. The team is what it is now, directly because of him. I doubt very much that US Postal would have made it past 1999 or 2000 had Armstrong not won the Tour when he did. And anyone that can put the most talented cyclist in the world(Ullrich), into second place in the Tour, THREE times, is nothing short of a "great" cyclist. Please educate yourself if you're going to get up on your soapbox.

I never wrote that he was an average cyclists among the elite. Just that he was not as great as some former racers.

You are correct, Postal would not be a team today if he had not continued to win. Why would an US team spend more $$ on an European sport if an American wasn't winning. Cycling as a sport needed that boost of popularity in the US.

I do not watch Lance every second of every day, nor do you. I heard the same statement years ago from another popular male athlete, same statement from his fans. Then we all found out that Carl Lewis was a lair and a cheater. Who is to say that this can not be said about Lance?

When you are at the top. More ppl what to knock you down......

Memph

In reference to the doping........ It seems to me that professional cycling has the most stringent measures in place to prevent and catch cheaters, much more so than in the olympics. As an American, it is refreshing to enjoy a sport where nearly all athletes are clean, ethical competitors, unlike the other typically American sports(football, basketball). I hope that I'm not deluding myself. In 1998 it appeared that the vast majority of cheats were weeded out, but with the recent scandal involving Museeuw and the horse trainer I guess I'm mistaken. We're all aware of Armstrong and his altitude chamber and his former relationship with the infamous Italian doctor. But, I hope and I am confidant that that Armstrong has never cheated. Simply put, look at the thousands of drug tests he's taken and passed. And not just him, other pro cyclists who have been targeted, but have never failed a test. If he has taken any performance enhancing drugs, then shame on him. Which brings me to the French. I have always marveled at the fact that they have embraced Virenque, a disgraced confessed doper, but are continually suspicious of Armstrong and would gleefullly tie the noose if he were to be caught. I hope that all fans, around the wold can see Armstrong for what he is - a classy champion, genuinely deserving of all the recognition he has received.

Originally posted by JDM
In reference to the doping........ It seems to me that professional cycling has the most stringent measures in place to prevent and catch cheaters, much more so than in the olympics. As an American, it is refreshing to enjoy a sport where nearly all athletes are clean, ethical competitors, unlike the other typically American sports(football, basketball). I hope that I'm not deluding myself. In 1998 it appeared that the vast majority of cheats were weeded out, but with the recent scandal involving Museeuw and the horse trainer I guess I'm mistaken. We're all aware of Armstrong and his altitude chamber and his former relationship with the infamous Italian doctor. But, I hope and I am confidant that that Armstrong has never cheated. Simply put, look at the thousands of drug tests he's taken and passed. And not just him, other pro cyclists who have been targeted, but have never failed a test. If he has taken any performance enhancing drugs, then shame on him. Which brings me to the French. I have always marveled at the fact that they have embraced Virenque, a disgraced confessed doper, but are continually suspicious of Armstrong and would gleefullly tie the noose if he were to be caught. I hope that all fans, around the wold can see Armstrong for what he is - a classy champion, genuinely deserving of all the recognition he has received.

I could not agree with you more. Lance is a great champ and has a way of proving he wants to win fairly. As a Canadian, I hope Lance is doing it fairly. We have had a few good cyclists, none could compare to Lance or Greg. I just try not to sit on either side of the fence. If the other shoe falls, then would like to be prepared.

Memph

Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but repeated negative drug test results is not really an indicator that an athlete is not doping. Whenever athletes are asked if they have doped, many answer along the lines of "I have undergone multiple tests and have never tested positive to taking banned substances".
There are masking agents, new drugs that are not yet tested for and various techniques of using somebody else's urine. My favourite to gross people out is the East German specialty of inserting a catheter in your urethra and filling your bladder with clean (drug-free) urine.

Fair enough - but unless someone can give me one example involving Armstrong and performance enhancing drugs, then I suggest we put this topic to bed.

Originally posted by JDM
Fair enough - but unless someone can give me one example involving Armstrong and performance enhancing drugs, then I suggest we put this topic to bed.

One time shall be all it takes to destroy his career, legendary status, and everything he preached. Kinda like Carl Lewis. I hope he is more truthful....

Memph

This is purely speculation:
Why did Lance get so dehydrated in the 1st ITT of this year's TDF?
Losing 7kg in a one hour race is physically impossible. 2kg/hr is maximum if you drink nothing.
Did he forget to drink before? I doubt it very much.
Was he taking diuretics???
It just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously this 'proves' nothing though. I don't think Lance is the bad guy - I think he is the same as other pros in respect to doing whatever he can to get the edge. I don't think professional cycling is a 'clean sport'.

Unless you have an evidence specific to Lance, the accusation applies to all other riders as well, correct, Memphmann? Is there any evidence or story you have that other people don't know? It seems that only facts your accusation is based on is his 5 straight TdF wins. Do you have any evidence that makes Lance suspicious but not Miguel Indurain?

Are you accusing him of doping only because other people are saying the same ting? Are you just a "me too" person? If you have seen any article that made you believe Lance is doping, why don't we skip you and get to the source. Let us see the article. Maybe our opinion will change.

Originally posted by patch70
This is purely speculation:
Why did Lance get so dehydrated in the 1st ITT of this year's TDF?
Losing 7kg in a one hour race is physically impossible. 2kg/hr is maximum if you drink nothing.
Did he forget to drink before? I doubt it very much.
Was he taking diuretics???
It just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously this 'proves' nothing though. I don't think Lance is the bad guy - I think he is the same as other pros in respect to doing whatever he can to get the edge. I don't think professional cycling is a 'clean sport'.

Lance wasn't his top form from the beginning to the end, but still won. That's what makes me think he will win more titles.
By the way, I believe what you thought 7kg was probably 7lbs. It is still a lot of weight to lose in an hour.

==Lance told Leno at the show, he had some illness(Like stomach flue?) but he didn't take it seriously and didn't take proper treatment. "I will not make the same mistake again." he said. "I took it for granted the success in the past, almost forgot, after all this is the toughest race in the world."==