How many TdF Lance will win?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by allgoo19, Oct 12, 2003.

?

Will Lance win more titles?

1. 5 meaning he won't win again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6

39 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. 7

76 vote(s)
    54.7%
  4. 8

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Look, how far up the ranks are you in cycling? I was Cat2, almost Cat1, and all of us were using some form of performance enhancing drugs. Why would i stop at the pro level, when there are better drugs, better ppl (coaches) to help mask them. Cycling is anything but clean. Sure if I say Armstrong is taking then so was Induran. They all are.

How do we know that Lance really had a stomach flu? This could be BS on his behalf. How do we really know he lot that much weight in the ITT? Was this his 1st ITT he ever rode? Did not know how to properly prepare for it? Seems like an excuse for the real reason why he lost, weakness.

As I have no prove to show you that Lance is using drugs. You have no prove to show that he isn't. Just our opinion....

Memph

2. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Filling your bladder? Man, that's gotta feel weird! Yech. Just as well they don't test turds or boogers or stuff like that.

3. allgoo19

allgoo19 New Member

If you don't have any proof, why you even brought it up? I didn't bring it up.

If you are so sure everybody using dopes, other riders besides Lance taking the same advantage as Lance, then why they are not winning? In your opinion, they are all dopers. If that's true, stronger rider with dope gets credit over weaker riders with dope.

Personally, I think it's a shame not to report while you know everybody using dope including you. I kind of think you are making it up. If you want us to believe what you are saying, tell us your real name and your past official race record. Then we will kow you are real.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Armstrong didn,t win the last tour because of illness accident or bad luck of other riders. He won it despite his own misfortunes and problems. He beat the best while at his worst . Everyone used to love a winner. Now it is a habit of a lot of people to try to bring them down to thier level. Armstrong winning the tour is like a French football team winning the Super Bowl.I believe he has it in him for at least one more. He certainly has my best wishes.

5. patch70

patch70 New Member

There is actually a medical treatment called a faecal enema!!! This is rarely used to treat something called 'pseudomembranous colitis' when it doesn't respond to standard treatments. It involves filling up someone's colon with a healthy relative's brown stuff.

Is that off the topic?

6. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Have you ever played any sport near pro level? This is not the case with cycling alone. Brother knew ppl in Triple-A Baseball doping. Had friends going to gym doping just to look big. So this is in every sport.

This was over ten years go, before internet was big. As I wrote, this was in Cat2/3 races. So where would the results be posted? Just leeting you know what I saw first hand. Why would I report this? These are ppl I raced with every week-end. Word gets around that I ratted, this is worse then a doper....

Memph

7. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Not off topic, just nasty.......

Memph

8. patch70

patch70 New Member

Be grateful you haven't had a lung transplant - otherwise you'd be coughing up somebody else's phlegm...

9. allgoo19

allgoo19 New Member

==If you are so sure everybody using dopes, other riders besides Lance taking the same advantage as Lance, then why they are not winning? In your opinion, they are all dopers. If that's true, stronger rider with dope gets credit over weaker riders with dope.
    ==

You haven't answer the question above, Memphmann. I'm still waiting for your answer. Are you one of those riders point the first place rider and saying "He won the race because he was on the dope." even though you were using the same dope but didn't win?

Based on what I heard from you, your knowledge about the racing scene is limited what was happening ten years ago. In the past ten years, many things happened. I'm no expert on this subject but I know about 1998 Festina scandal. I'd be so surprised if you say you don't know about it. Then you still tell me there has been nothing changed and riders still using dopes just like ten years ago?

I'm puzzled, it wasn't a big deal ten years ago, even though you had a solid evidence, you didn't even report to anybody, but now it is so important, you had to come out to tell other people that Lance won because of the drugs even though you don't have any evidence?

10. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Well answer my questions also. Are you some cyclists who rides a few miles and pretends to be Lance, so you defend him? An outsider looking in? How close have you been to pro?

Sure if everyone is using and Lance wins, his coaches are better. Better at determining the amounts to give him to help him perform better then the rest. Better at hiding this fact.......

Memph

11. RacinGator

RacinGator New Member

While you were riding "professionally", who were you pretending to be? You make these accusations, and when people question you about it, you resort to insults. Classic
    :rolleyes:

12. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

First, where is the insult? Second, I never once wrote that I was a pro. I was near pro and I saw what I saw. As for pretending to be someone, no was dreaming of beating all the pros.....

Memph

13. jordon198

jordon198 New Member

My 2 cents worth: I started watching TDF coverage a few years ago because Lance was winning, and he was from the US. In the several years that followed I watched more and more, got to know some of the other riders, and now am a fan of other riders as well, only one of which is American.

As to Lance and using drugs to enhance his performance I'd have to say that I think he does not for two reasons. I think that if he had used them some test would have turned them up, no matter how you try and evade a positive test you'd have to get caught eventually. Even more so being as he would be discreditied big time, and his accomplishments would be able to be dismissed. Secondly, I think that with his health history he would be more apt to not take a chance on his health after cycling.

14. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

You have two great points, but these can be agrued.

First the USA had another athlete on the world scene which everyone disliked. He claimed not to use enhancement drugs and insulted anyone that did. Like Canada's Ben Johnson. Carl Lewis was finally found out to be a lair. Could this be the case with Lance? We may never know.

Second, if Lance had to keep up and knew others were using, would he not also use? He has some of the finest doctors $ can buy.....

Memph

15. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Hm. Well I hope they do it under general anaesthetic.

Is it supposed to replenish intestinal bacteria or something like that? And why a relative's? (I admit it's possibly marginally less gross than a total stranger's, but on the other hand I'd rather not know where it came from. Unless I was looking for an excuse for indefinite mutual avoidance, of course. ;))

Actually, it sounds more like practical joke medical practitioners play on patients that really annoy them. :D

I'm grateful. I'm grateful. :p

16. werner24

werner24 New Member

:)

That is my prediction as well. I think after 7, he will be ready to step down and enjoy the other parts of his life. I have heard him speak about the tour and his passion for the sport is amazing! He has a couple more left in him! I say 7 also!

17. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

Completely disagree. No more.

- Ullrich will be stronger, with T-Mobile properly prepared
    - There will be some new 22/23 year old who'll upset things
    - Hamilton, Leiphiemer, Beloki et al will not be compromised and will attack consistently
    - He will have some piece of bad luck

or all of the above

18. werner24

werner24 New Member

geez, you have little faith.
    yes, he almost got beat this year by ullrich, but unfortunate things
    happen in ridding. You really never know who will come out with out an accident or injury.
    you must not be an armstrong fan...it shows!!

19. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

I think Armstrong is one of the greatest cyclists in history and was tipping him to my friends ever since the Worlds RR win. After cancer --- words fail me....

But.

I think Ullrich is an equal talent and is younger; he will be a little better next year, Lance a little older, a little less dominant.

And he's demonstrated a further characteristic a tour winner must have; his bad luck has never been terminal. The plastic bag crash - no stack hat! - could easily have finished his tour if he'd belted his head; he could easily have ridden into Beloki or punctured in the field or whatever - skill and luck got him through. And he's had good luck; Hamilton, Liepheimer, Beloki, all out. I think with a fit Hamilton this year the result might well have been different - what a man.

So I stand by the prediction; he won't win. But I think it has the potential to be yet another truly great tour as this year's was, with a great champion winning. Roll on the day.

20. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

We all speculate of course, and that is all we can do. Do I think he uses drugs? No, I do not, but I may be wrong.

What strikes me though, is that he rode and won this year while undoubtedly he knew he was throwing in the marital towel at the end of the race, and he and the wife stayed together through the TDF and then immediately took off the rings.

There is no doubt in my mind that he had these things on his mind much of the time, and they influenced his performance and his physical condition. Soooooo, I speculate that this guy who whipped cancer and ran a successful race under those circumstances has the fortitude to do it again next year with the incentive of setting a new world record. I hope I am not wrong on any count.