How many TdF Lance will win?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by allgoo19, Oct 12, 2003.

?

Will Lance win more titles?

1. 5 meaning he won't win again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6

39 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. 7

76 vote(s)
    54.7%
  4. 8

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Thanx, forgot I wrote that. How far back in this thread was that post?

Yes like Ben. I can admitt to taking some form of drug. Was taking pure ephedrine in the pill form. Then again what where the others taking?????

Memph

2. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Actually this was not a criminal investation. Nor would Ben have gone to jail for anything. He was telling the truth to get his ban lifted. People lie under oath all the time. Like the last US president. Hell even the cops do it (that is another can of worms). What would he have gone to jail for. Lying about drug use in sports??

Why would he admitt anything to repoters. Would you, the way they turn stories around?

The trouble was that Ben wa under heavy watch the 2nd time around. So of coarse he could not keep drug free to the others who were on drugs. So he tried it & got caught. Stupid on his part....

Memph

3. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Why is this so funny or far from happening. Look at how big & strong athletes are in ALL pro sports. That is all natural? Most admitt to the use of LEGAL performance drugs, but fail to mention the banned. Lets truly see how far a human body can be taken for that single event? Like olympics or TdF (reason why LA only really focuses on this race). Then it shall not be the best athlete & trainers, but the best doctors & chemists.....

Memph

4. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

For perjury.

5. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Only in a criminal case. This was to look into the truth. Peoples jobs & reps were at stake, not jail time...

Memph

Now lets plz end this or pm each other. Have wasted enough of this thread on this.....

6. leif_ericson

leif_ericson New Member

When Lance Armstrong was 16, he was lapping the field at local crits. Was he on drugs back then?
    Drugs can only do so much... its not like they can mutate the body into something superhuman.

7. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

After getting caught up in all the drug talk, I failed to post my opinion on how many tours I think Lance will win. I think he has better than a 50/50 chance of winning in 2004, and if he wins in 2004, he then would have about a 50/50 chance of winning in 2005. My best guess is that he will win 6 tours total. I wouldn't be too surprised if he won 7, but I think that's too much to hope for. And if he stayed with a total of 5, that's still the elite of the elite. I just think he has one more TdF win in him at least, and I think he'll be burning with desire to win that number 6. That will be enough to motivate him to accomplish it.

8. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Where did you get this from?? That James kid in Basketball was doing the same thing at that age. Does this make him the next Jordan? Not differcult to accomplish this at that age, if LA did.

Heck, at a local race back home in BC. Me & two other guys (both were older in 30's, I was 19) lapped a pack also. Does this make me better then Eddie?

Memph

9. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

The thing that Leif_Erickson failed to mention was that Lance was competing against the top triathletes in the USA at that age, and BEATING them. In other words, he was competing against 26 year olds, and winning. This would be like Lebron James playing against the top NBA players while he was still a sophomore in high school. Does this impress you?

10. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Yes it does to a point. Sad thing is that James is worth more then LA an hasn't played an entire pro season yet......

Memph

11. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Sad if you're a communist, I suppose. Lance isn't hurting for money. Why begrudge a man like James, who has obvious talents and enormous commercial appeal, the enormous earnings he is making. They're not paying him because they feel some deep social need. They're paying him huge amounts because he will make them enormous amounts as well. All you have to do is to compare the viewership before and after James and note that it has skyrocketed. He happens to be entering the game when there is a bit of a void demographically in his age group. He's younger, so he attracts more of the very young crowd. It may seem like huge pay, and it is, but it is justified based on the contribution he will make to the franchise.

If you start setting caps on sports earnings regardless of viewership and income, that's sadder than paying someone in line with what the earnings justify. If the money's there, pay him. Otherwise, another team will snap him up instead of Cleveland. That's market dynamics, plain and simple.

12. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Here is why it is sad. James has only played with boys in highschool, was great. Not even proven against young men, university. Still not proven against real men. So they (shoe company) throw that big a deal at him. For an unproven little boy in a mans game. He has not matured enough mentally or physically. Could break a knee or something that could end career. Why, only has boy muscles. Then shoe company would look stupid. Mentally, he could be like another highschool to pro player, Shawn Kemp. Have like 12 kids with different women. Too much $$ for boys to have.

Also remember when Jordan was at height of career. Kids were killing & robbing each others "Air Jordans". This could happen again. Not likely as kid shall be just slightly above average.

Jordan deserved the $$ he made in his last year as a Bull, 25mil. He made the Bulls & NBA so much $$. That he deserved this & more. James deserves very little as he is a boy that has done nothing...

Memph

13. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I guess IBM would have been big winners using this line of reasoning because they wouldn't have had to contend with the likes of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, snot nosed brats back then. Instead, we all know what happened. Sometimes young people have talent, opportunity and the ability to take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself. If they do, sometimes the rewards are fantastic. Consider also Freddy Adu, the 14 year old who just signed a $500,000 a year, 6 year contract to play soccer in Washington, DC where he lives. His mother wouldn't let him sign with a European team which offered him $750,000 because she thinks he's too young to leave home. He may not get much better, but the kid's good at the game already. Maybe he'll be another Pele. It depends on a lot of factors. In the meantime, he will rake in a cool $3 million by the time he's 20. Then he can decide what he will do next.

14. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Sometimes I wonder if your head is connected to your body. First off, Bill Gates used his mental ability to get to were he is at. Not like so many young so called talented athletes who can hardly read enuf to sign their own contract. No wonder they go crazy with all that $$. Little if any mental ability & still a boy. So comparing Bill is not the same. Don't see him with 12 kids with diff moms or getting in trouble with law over drug or weapons..

Another young boy who shall screw up his life. Hopefully he shall have a good soccer career, but doubt it......

Memph

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Just remember before you throw away that once in a lifetime opportunity that presents itself to your child that it might be just that--once in a lifetime. This means that it will not present itself again--ever. What Bill Gates has in common with the others is that the opportunity was there, and he took it.

By the way, the kid doesn't go crazy with all that money. This is still the responsibility of the parents. If you're worried about it, just put the money in a trust fund that the kid can't access until he's older. As for being over 18, like Lebron James is, he's a legal adult. This means he can get drafted into the service and he can vote for every public office in the land. If you want to call him a "boy", maybe you'd keep calling him a boy his whole life. The truth is, by law he is an adult. If you have done your job well as your child grew up, he'll probably weather the storm. I don't know if that's what would happen if you deny him the opportunity. All those law problems may happen after you do that, depending on your intentions. This may not then make the headlines either.

There are plenty of young talents that do well at a young age without problems and with huge contracts. You just focus on the worst and put them all in the same boat. Why do you think Tiger Woods is such a bad guy?

16. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Too bad they don't lock threads here ............... this one should have been locked days ago.

A two person discussion that could have/should have been handled via im'ing ............

LA is going to have a tough time this year, everyone saw that he has weaknesses, and people like Ullrich are training extra hard to put the smack down on him.

Regardless of who's doping, or not, this is going to be a tough year for him.

And that whole free range chicken bull s h i t is ridiculous ......... Our family eats only that if we have a choice, there are a lot of people out there that do it.

17. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Who says I want to IM? I don't think I'm going to change Memphman's ideas. I am responding here because what he says is an injustice to Lance Armstrong and to cycling in general. I want to respond to his public comments (libel, actually) on a public forum. This thread is open to all. This may appear to be a two person discussion, but anyone with a user id on this forum can respond here, and I encourage them to. To hold this discussion in private does nothing to mend the damage done to athletics when someone such as Memphman pushes drug use in cycling and every sport.

I agree with you. Lance Armstrong will have a tough time this year in the Tour. I think Lance is correct to say that Jan Ullrich is the Tour favorite to win this year. But as Indurain used to say, "It's a long road to Paris." I think we haven't heard the last from Lance Armstrong yet. We'll see.

So you think that there is no correlation between watching what you eat and refraining from using drugs? I'd say that there probably is a correlation, and that is why I mentioned free range chicken here. My guess is that if you took a statistical sample of everyone who eats free range chicken and compared it to a statistical sample of the general population, you would find less drug usage among the free range chicken group. I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

18. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Lets not compare apples to oranges. Lets keep this with pro athletes, not non athletes like Gates (who has benefited society on a whole, unlike rich spoiled athletes). James is still a boy. Not even mature enuf to drink in his own country. 18 is not an age of men, a man is not a #. Les see how he handles his fame & $$. If he stays away from trouble for a few years, then he can be called a man.

Woods is diff. He plays a white sport, where they would not put up with the same behaviour as pro Foot, Base & Basketball players. Do not see the same behaviour from the few colours in hockey. So these athletes have to behave better to be accepted. Look Woods is attempting to distance himself further by dating a white women.....

Memph

19. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Why is letting pro athletes us what ever drug they desire such a diffecult idea to grasp??? If they want to win bad enuf, that they care little about side effects. Let them. It is their choice & their bodies. Who am I to tell another person what to do to their body. Atleast then, all athletes shall be on level playing field. Then we also know what they are really taking.

I would agree with you the chicken issue. Look at how all the girls are developing breasts at a younger age. This in my opinion is due to hormones in cows. Could be same in chickens...

Memph

20. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

So now it's not about the money, it's about the color of your skin? If you are white, then you deserve fame, fortune and the good life, and if you are black, you have to pretend like you're white. It seems that it's not only your racing style that is old school, but your racial attitudes as well.