How many want to see an end to gun and cycling threads?

Dec 30, 2007
Geeez, it's not like anybody's mind is going to be changed with arguments on a cycling forum. Let's stick to bicycles, shall we?

sign me 'tired of gun threads'.

I'd say the same about doping discussions, personally, but as long as the stuff that I do want to talk about isn't being dragged off topic then I don't mind people talking about other stuff without me.

Peter@vecchios said:
Geeez, it's not like anybody's mind is going to be changed with arguments on a cycling forum. Let's stick to bicycles, shall we?

sign me 'tired of gun threads'.

I'll second that.

frenchyge said:
I'd say the same about doping discussions, personally, but as long as the stuff that I do want to talk about isn't being dragged off topic then I don't mind people talking about other stuff without me.

I'm with you, doesn't bother me unless there were multiple threads for it... pushing others off. Though I can see how it's a bit senseless. :rolleyes:

Personally I'd like to see a "Clif Notes" summary. There's no way in hell I'm going to start reading a thread that's already 20-some-odd pages deep, but I'm still somewhat curious about why it's such a hot topic

Note: I understand why once the topic gets started there are so many diehard supporters of both sides of the coin; what I don't understand is why the concept even gets started in the first place. "Bicycles + Guns" makes about as much sense to me as "Astroglide + Cactus", or "Harpsichord + Wildebeest". It's a non-sequitor.

Bob Ross said:
...what I don't understand is why the concept even gets started in the first place. "Bicycles + Guns" makes about as much sense to me as "Astroglide + Cactus", or "Harpsichord + Wildebeest". It's a non-sequitor.

You'd have to ask the OP that question. Personally, I think the intent was just to stir the kettle.
The OP has almost no posts outside of that topic. I think that speaks for itself.

64Paramount said:
It doesn't interest me, so I don't read it.

I don't either but it won't DIE. It's always at the top of the list of threads cuz somebody HAS to put their 2 cents in.

Let it die I say. It has no answer. In the USN, we called it WHOGAS.....

Peter@vecchios said:
...sign me 'tired of gun threads'.

alienator said:
I'll second that.

bing.gif
I'll third that...

Hmmmm...my initial response to reading this thread title is that it should have been placed in the biyatching section, aka 'Your Bloody Soapbox'.

Acknowledging that I'm a co-offender here, the owner of site should be able to understand that the two major 'gun and cycling' threads have garnered over 285k views/hits...lots of traffic, aka people interested in the dialogue...

Nevertheless, I agree totally that the discussion should remain on the topic of carrying a gun as part of a person's cycling equipment. The 2nd Amendment stuff could be more effectively argued elsewhere on the web...

I am in the opinion that closing a particular thread will not change the general climate. Emotions can run high in some debates and are always present and ready to be revealed. As long as the debate remains civil and non-offensive I personally see no big deal in them, regardless of the subject. It is not a complicated thing to ignore what you don't wish to read
Of course I guess it is like the proverbial train wreck at times, painfull to look at but hard to look away.

jhuskey said:
I am in the opinion that closing a particular thread will not change the general climate. Emotions can run high in some debates and are always present and ready to be revealed.

Right. That is why I support having dedicated playpens for certain topics in order to keep them from spilling over into every other discussion.... makes them easier for people to ignore if they aren't interested.

Admittedly, including guns under Cycling Equipment is a far stretch. Probably better suited for the Bike Cafe, and I would certainly support any effort to get them moved further away from the pure cycling discussions rather than closing them altogether.

tonyzackery said:
Hmmmm...my initial response to reading this thread title is that it should have been placed in the biyatching section, aka 'Your Bloody Soapbox'.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

That will get it out of the Cycling Equipment forum, but still allow the folks that want to continue beating the dead horse a place to do so.

frenchyge said:
Right. That is why I support having dedicated playpens for certain topics in order to keep them from spilling over into every other discussion.... makes them easier for people to ignore if they aren't interested.

Admittedly, including guns under Cycling Equipment is a far stretch. Probably better suited for the Bike Cafe, and I would certainly support any effort to get them moved further away from the pure cycling discussions rather than closing them altogether.

Since it's legal with a permit, where I live, to carry a gun for self protection, and since riding my bike is the ONLY time I seem to get assaulted, the two ARE linked.

A gun is a tool. Choosing the right tool, and the right way to carry it, is an absolutely appropriate discussion for Cycling Equipment.

When I was still trying to figure out a safe and effective way to carry while cycling, I had a hard time finding useful advice. It would be nice to have an easy-to-find, concise page, or sticky article, on this *equipment* topic.

It only gets political when someone inappropriately questions the legality, or the sanity of the cyclist who chooses to exercise a constitutional right. Or tries to shut down or hide a thread that I find useful (infringing Free Speech).

Since this is an international site constitutional rights vary and I must point out that freedom of speech rights do not hold true on a private forum such as this one.
Not trying to start a debate just stating facts.

Off topic posts are a pain in the ass, and often end up hijacking threads, but that's life on the internet.

Why pick on gun threads, why not start deleting all controversial off- topic posts. IMO picking on gun threads and not others, in itself makes a statement.

Tackdriver56 said:
A gun is a tool. Choosing the right tool, and the right way to carry it, is an absolutely appropriate discussion for Cycling Equipment.

Right, but it's a tool for shooting things rather than 2-wheeled transportation. I agree with the others that gun choice is off-topic for a cycling equipment forum.

I'm surprised to hear that since you don't get assaulted except while cycling that you don't carry your weapon when on foot. But in that case it wouldn't really be a cycling tool in your mind, so I guess that does make sense. ;)

Tackdriver56 said:
Since it's legal with a permit, where I live, to carry a gun for self protection, and since riding my bike is the ONLY time I seem to get assaulted, the two ARE linked.

When I was still trying to figure out a safe and effective way to carry while cycling, I had a hard time finding useful advice. It would be nice to have an easy-to-find, concise page, or sticky article, on this *equipment* topic.

It only gets political when someone inappropriately questions the legality, or the sanity of the cyclist who chooses to exercise a constitutional right. Or tries to shut down or hide a thread that I find useful (infringing Free Speech).

Righto, still would like to see it end. It's part of the firnge of 'cycling equipment'. More people use Simplex plastic shifters than worry about guns.

Thanks for mentioning the constitution again, twice. Yes, you have a 'right' to carry the thing, this Supreme Court finally said so, after debating it for over 200 years. Course other constitutional scholars argue it doesn't apply to individual rights but for that pesky second sentence but....

I shouldn't even wrestle with this, I said my piece on the subject and

I'm tapping out.

Peter@vecchios said:
Righto, still would like to see it end. It's part of the firnge of 'cycling equipment'. More people use Simplex plastic shifters than worry about guns.

Thanks for mentioning the constitution again, twice. Yes, you have a 'right' to carry the thing, this Supreme Court finally said so, after debating it for over 200 years. Course other constitutional scholars argue it doesn't apply to individual rights but for that pesky second sentence but....

I shouldn't even wrestle with this, I said my piece on the subject and

I'm tapping out.

Well stated. I'm 100% hip with that.

:confused: I'm new to the forums but it seems that if you start censuring the topics its a bad slippery slop to start. I don't like speedplay pedals much so I don't read the threads if they are posted. I think we are free to ignore guns and cycling threads if were not interested! I haven't seen a guns and cycling thread, but would just not read them not interesting to me.