How Many Years In Between Cycling As It Been For You?

fusionfirefblae

May 26, 2015
I got off a bike sometime in 1983 and didn't get on again until 1996. It was a 1972 Pontiac Lemans that seduced me away, then a move to a new country and an urge to explore it under my own steam that brought me back. (I was so impatient to get going that within a month of buying my hybrid I rode it from London to Fort William just so I could hike up Ben Nevis and shout Hallelujah! I'm born again! closer to the heavens. Or something like that.)

How do you explain your gap years, if you had any, and what brought you back to the fold?

Cycled as a child, nothing serious, playing riding to school and generally getting around, when I was old enough to get a license I brought a motorbike and was a motorcyclist for about 10 years, then got a girlfriend that I was serious about and the bike had to go, so I went back to cycling, that was over 30 years ago and we're still together, we've raised a family and now have a granddaughter, I'm still cycling though these days I also run a car, to start off with I couldn't afford a car and a growing family plus a mortgage so I just cycled.

I never really rode much as a child. Just pottered about with friends.
I had a really bad bike that never really worked properly when I was 12/13 and that was the end of that.
I got a car age 18 and was very happy driving everywhere.
When I was mid twenties it started getting harder to park near to my work. I worked late shifts and often ended up walking a mile or more to where I'd parked up, so eventually I realised it'd be easier to bike to work.
I continued riding through pregnancy, only stopped when my tummy was to big to bring my legs up when I was peddling!
I never rode with my son in a seat or trailer, so went back to driving when I had him with me, but always continued commuting.

I've always had one bike or another. My father had friends in the local police force who gave him a new bike every year. Those bikes were usually stolen bikes that were never claimed by their owners, and hence remained in the police compound for a long period of time.
Later in life, when I moved to another country, my boyfriend gave me a custom made bike for my birthday. I loved that bike and wanted to take it with me when we moved to a different continent, but it didn't work out. So, my next bike I got a couple of years later. I rode it for nearly ten years. That;s when our relationship ended, and I bought myself a sports bike. And again I left the continent to live elsewhere. My bike came with me this time. But someone stole it shortly after my arrival. So, this time I got myself a solid ladies' bike that I have been riding for two years now. It's a great bike to get around town and to work every day.

fusionfirefblae said:
I got off a bike sometime in 1983 and didn't get on again until 1996. It was a 1972 Pontiac Lemans that seduced me away, then a move to a new country and an urge to explore it under my own steam that brought me back. (I was so impatient to get going that within a month of buying my hybrid I rode it from London to Fort William just so I could hike up Ben Nevis and shout Hallelujah! I'm born again! closer to the heavens. Or something like that.)

How do you explain your gap years, if you had any, and what brought you back to the fold?
I stopped when I finished high school, 1966. Started when I was overweight, 1975. Quit when I took up running, 1978. Started up again in 1986. Quit for a 5 year span after that when we started a business.

I am not a hard core biker although I can say I am an enthusiast. I had been biking when we moved to this place in 2001 but I stopped when work schedules would be tight. So biking is on and off for me. But in my estimation, I would be biking about 20 days in a year and not on a regular basis. Right now I haven't ridden a bike for 2 years maybe.

Been on and off since I was 14 (29 years). I've always had a bike but kids, career and other interests limited it. Been riding and doing triathlons now for the last 7 years. It tend to focus on different kinds of riding year to year. This yea bi cut back on the triathlons to focus on MTB events... Keeps my interest in cycling going.