How Much Are You Willing To Pay For A Frame

Stellite

Sep 18, 2003
In reading another thread talking about high end road frames, I wondered what other's consider their max spending on a high end road frame. So how much would you spend, less than $1000, 2000, etc or sky's the limit??

I am not sure where I would be, but most of the frames I like tend to be in the 1000 to 2000 range and I would pay around 1500 or so for a frame. I cannot see spending over $3000 for a frame with my use, but I wish I could.

I don't road bike, I mountain bike, I spent aroud $1400.00 for my Ellsworth Isis frame, it was a strech but I am glad I did. I imagine if I was a road biker I would pay the same...

About $2700. WAY too much money, and way nicer than I ever need/deserve. It just kind of happened. Kind of like the $200 seatpost and $225 pedals (neither of which my fitness deserves, either).

When you talk to non-bikers and they hear that you paid $1400 or more for a frame, not even a complete bike, they think you are nuts. I get that all the time. Maybe we are. Why are these things so expensive.

Originally posted by DesertRider
Have you ever priced a Ferrari brake pad?

No, I have never had the pleasure, but I guess that is the price you pay to have a work of Art. I know that nothing on a Ferrari is cheap, not even the tires.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Markup and middlemmen. Check www.fondriest-usa.com for direct sales prices from a quality maker.

Now why did you have to put that web site for me to see. Did you see the deals. I want that Status Carb steel frame. Almost half price for it. Damm