How much benefit can be gained by running

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
Like many I have a very busy schedule- many days I can't go for a ride b/c it is dark by the time I finish work and family comitments. However, I have been training by jogging at night on the days that I can't ride. Will this help me increase my abilities on the bike. While, I'm not out to win any races I have set a goal of completting a 100 mile event in Sept.

tdl123321 said:
Like many I have a very busy schedule- many days I can't go for a ride b/c it is dark by the time I finish work and family comitments. However, I have been training by jogging at night on the days that I can't ride. Will this help me increase my abilities on the bike. While, I'm not out to win any races I have set a goal of completting a 100 mile event in Sept.
Yes, running should make you aerobically stronger ... or, help you to maintain your current level if it is at a high level.

Obviously, running won't make you more comfortable in the saddle ...

And, running 2+ miles a day (for example) isn't the same as riding 100 miles ... but, it's better than not running.

And, even jogging at a moderate pace isn't the same as riding at a moderately FASTER pace for an extended period of time ...

So, by the end of the Summer, you'll probably want your jogging exertion (for ~30 minutes at a time) to be close to what you anticipate your effort on the bike will be -- anticipate that your 100 mile ride will be between 4 & 8 hours.

alfeng said:
Yes, running should make you aerobically stronger ... or, help you to maintain your current level if it is at a high level.

Obviously, running won't make you more comfortable in the saddle ...

And, running 2+ miles a day (for example) isn't the same as riding 100 miles ... but, it's better than not running.

And, even jogging at a moderate pace isn't the same as riding at a moderately FASTER pace for an extended period of time ...

So, by the end of the Summer, you'll probably want your jogging exertion (for ~30 minutes at a time) to be close to what you anticipate your effort on the bike will be -- anticipate that your 100 mile ride will be between 4 & 8 hours.

Anything that works you out aerobically has got to help, although running works your leg muscles in different ways so you run the 'risk' of building up muscle that you don't want. Running's also high impact, so you run the risk of knee/tendon damage.
Thought about a turbo trainer? Pretty boring, but if time's limited you can get a high quality workout that's actually relevant to your intended goal. And you can watch TV at the same time!

I'll second the trainer option. I use mine regularly in winter, no cars, no rain, not as cold and not as dangerous. But if you go this way make up intervals to break up the the time. Ive found 4on/1off and 9on /1off to work well to relive the boredom plus cycling vid's and dvd's.

DJA said:
I'll second the trainer option. I use mine regularly in winter, no cars, no rain, not as cold and not as dangerous. But if you go this way make up intervals to break up the the time. Ive found 4on/1off and 9on /1off to work well to relive the boredom plus cycling vid's and dvd's.
The trainer option sounds like a great solution, but having recently purchased a bike I'm afraid I will be kicked out of the house if I make another big purchase:eek: . Those trainers are pretty expensive, aren't they?

If you just want time in the saddle you do not have to spend and ass load of money. You can get a cycleops wind trainer for around 129.00 Pretty basic resistance and fairley loud but when combined with a couple of DVd's it's a great solution.

Runners make better cyclists than cyclists make runners. 20 minutes of running provides more aerobic benifit than 20 minutes of cycling, however I wouldn't like to try 3 hours running on a Saturday morning.

Can you get rollers that are quiet enough that you can help the kids with their homework while you spin?

A couple of guys at an office I was at had bikes permanently at work and went out for rides at lunchtime.

mikesbytes said:
Runners make better cyclists than cyclists make runners. QUOTE]

i'd agree whole heartedly with the above statement- but it ends there. once over the cardio arguments- there is almost no benefit is muscle groups used and the ranges they operate in and the intensities and durations required. the only thing i use running for is to get my body used to the jarring/ pounding/ and physical abuse of mountain bike racing or motorcycle enduros/hare scrambles.

for pure road biking- i think there is very little benefit to be gained from cross training with running.

my $.02

My general experience is that running is not very good cross-training for cycling but cycling is good cross-training for running. I improved my mile run PR by 18 seconds after a hard month's cycling without running more than once or twice.

PartisanRanger said:
My general experience is that running is not very good cross-training for cycling but cycling is good cross-training for running. I improved my mile run PR by 18 seconds after a hard month's cycling without running more than once or twice.
I agree with you, Partisan. I do run a few times a month when biking is impractical for some reason (weather, darkness, etc.), and I consider it kind of like a placeholder.

I started running two years ago during the winter to keep my cardio up. After a couple of rides on the bike in the spring, I got ITB syndrome and couldn't bike for a month. However, I had no problems running. Needless to say, I gave up the running. Biking is way more fun.

schmuzzy said:
i'd agree whole heartedly with the above statement- but it ends there. once over the cardio arguments- there is almost no benefit is muscle groups used and the ranges they operate in and the intensities and durations required. the only thing i use running for is to get my body used to the jarring/ pounding/ and physical abuse of mountain bike racing or motorcycle enduros/hare scrambles.

for pure road biking- i think there is very little benefit to be gained from cross training with running.

my $.02

Ganfas said:
and swimming, provides any benefit?

Depends on what you're training for...
I took up swimming (and running) six months ago to do a one-off triathlon event. Once the event's over I'll probably never run again - hated every minute of it, especially since you can't freewheel...:)

The swimming's a different matter though - no impact, and very good for disciplining your breathing, as well as keeping the top half of your body toned. With the combinaton of the running and swimming I noticed my belly was much more toned, which of course makes no difference to efficiency on the bike, but it does keep the other half happy, and means I can fit into smaller jeans!
Oh, one other advantage of swimming that I can recommend, is that it provides unrivalled opportunities for staring at young, fit women dressed only in scraps of lycra. As they say, what's not to like...? :)

PartisanRanger said:
Are you kidding me? It is sooooooo much easier to go from running to biking than it is to go back again. When I'm running I can immediataly jump on the bike and ride 50+miles hanging with anyone but it takes me atleast 2 weeks to get my running legs back (training @ 6min/mile) and that is just from riding the bike for 2-3 weeks. While I'm making the transition back to running everything feels sluggish, my stride feels weird, everything hurts, and my breathing feels out of control. Now that I've been riding for 3 months straight I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back.

SserPrun95 said:
Are you kidding me? It is sooooooo much easier to go from running to biking than it is to go back again. When I'm running I can immediataly jump on the bike and ride 50+miles hanging with anyone but it takes me atleast 2 weeks to get my running legs back (training @ 6min/mile) and that is just from riding the bike for 2-3 weeks. While I'm making the transition back to running everything feels sluggish, my stride feels weird, everything hurts, and my breathing feels out of control. Now that I've been riding for 3 months straight I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back.
Well I'm just speaking from my experience and what I've heard most others say. Can anyone comment on what muscle groups are used in cycling vs. running and how this affects cross-training?

PartisanRanger said:
Well I'm just speaking from my experience and what I've heard most others say. Can anyone comment on what muscle groups are used in cycling vs. running and how this affects cross-training?
amazon search "kinesiology cycling"

any introductory book will explain the 360 degree crank rotation and the muscles used per degree.

tdl123321 said:
I am not sure. If you ever feel any pain in the articulation, then running will bring more harm than good.

If you do not feel any pain, then running should not replace recovery. And if running doesn't replace recovery, then I am not sure than a 30min jog will contribute to your preparation for your upcomming century on the bike.

On the other hand, running may open the door to duathlon, which is also a lot of fun. Just for that, I think it's worth doing some exploration on this side.

Ganfas said:
and swimming, provides any benefit?
I'd say that if you are almost untrained on the bike, then swimming may help a tinny bit.

But if you have a good swim technique, then the stress is mostly localized in the upperbody muscles, thus making any 'cycling specific' adaptation more than unlikely.

I have to back up SolarEnergy on this. If you are unfit then any type of exercise will improve your aerobic conditioning and hence, your abitity to cycle better. However, the further to the right you go on the scale the less any type of crosstraining will improve your cycing abilities.

Crosstraining "may" be helpful if you are just bored to death of cycling and want to do something else for a couple of months in the offseason. Or perhaps if you have a repetitive injury that just doesn't seem to want to heal up then you could perhaps do a stair master or other substitute exercise in leiu of cycling. Other than that the benefits of crosstraining for someone who wants to improve their cycling are of limited use.

If someone is just a Fitness Enthusiast (like myself) then crosstraining is fine, but doubtful it will produce much in the way of cycling specific goals unless one is on the left of the scale.

If you want to improve your cycling abilities but it's dark outside when you get home from work then buy a good trainer. Most of us have them. They are essential tools.

Cycling Continuum:
<= Couch Potato ====== Intermediate ====== Advanced ====== Elite =>

Couch Potatoe: Fairly unfit. Just starting out from a sedentary office lifestyle.
Intermediate: Good recreational rider. Possibly a CAT 5 racer.
Advanced: Cat 1 racer.
Elite: Grand Tour level competitor.

Doctor Morbius said:
If someone is just a Fitness Enthusiast (like myself) then crosstraining is fine, but doubtful it will produce much in the way of cycling specific goals unless one is on the left of the scale.
They even hold fairly interesting fitness competition. I don't know much about them, but a web pal of mine on an other forum, Hywel Davies, is actually doing pretty well at them.

It often involves a mix of threadmil, weight lifting, cycling and all. The guy benches over 300 pounds, not to mention the squats and all, and can hammer a 40k under 60min the same day or something.

You can get VERY good by running, but you can't replace the cycling time with less running time. If you train 10 hours a week biking, u gotta train 10 hours a week running, to get the same aerobic fitness measured in VO2 max. However, if you go from zero to hero, you will get injuries. If you can't take time off to bike, cut the stress and take up another sport and lower your ambitions. Anything else will just cause u mental harm and make you frustrated.