How Much Caffeine?

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
For coffee lovers out there... how much caffeine do you take in general pre-workout? I find that it helps in my performance but it when I get too much especially when combined with gatorade during the workout, I get gas problems!

For me, it's zero, I don't take caffeine at all during my regular workout. But if I do have a competition or something I need to be extra sharp for I just might drink coffee to boost my performance.

I like a lot of drinks that contain caffeine, so I'll do anywhere between 100mg and 200mg of caffeine before a workout. Of course, that sounds like I'm taking drugs, which I am, but I'm just drinking a can of Red Bull or something else like that. Most people don't need caffeine for their workouts, but I've found that it helps for lifting weights more so than anything else, including cycling.

None. I have 2 cups of coffee a day. I occasionally have a hot chocolate as a treat, but otherwise I don't use caffeine at all. I don't like artificial stimulants and actually am considering cutting back to 1 cup of coffee a day!

If I need sugar to help me through a session, then I have not eaten properly the day before as far as I am concerned. It really is that simple.

I usually only have one cup of caffeine a day but I've cut that down significantly years ago. I rarely ever drink coffee anymore to be honest with you and when I do it's only in a situation where I absolutely have to have energy. what I absolutely need to have energy because I have incredibly important has to do that day I make sure that I consume at least 2 cups.

I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee to start my day but that's it. Rest of the day is just water. Too much caffeine will make me sick, especially when I'm doing something that will elevate my heart rate.

Water is a good replacement to coffee. This might sound strange, but the more water we drink the more energized the body is. It's just annoying to go pee so often. :)

Maybe a cup and that's it. Caffeine makes me too jittery and really causes me to lose focus in biking as efficiently as I can which is a huge downside for me. I used to have a coffee drinking problem so I guess that is kind of why my body reacts negatively to caffeine now. It's sad really.

I drink one cup a day... Period. I get sketchy if I drink anymore than that, regardless of much I work out.

I drink one cup a day... Period. I get sketchy if I drink anymore than that, regardless of much I work out.

After years of sucking down Gu, Gels, shot blocks... Abstaining from coffee in the AM so I could integrate caffine infused gels into my food plan during races and whatnot...

I was having a discussion with a friend who does a lot of endurance cycling and I was complaining about how sickening sweet they became late in rides and I'd often go without anything at a certain point. He suggested that I should do seasoned red potatoes. Literally, cooked potatoes wrapped up in a ziplock. The idea seamed idiotic to me but what the hell.

Amazing (don't worry, I'm getting to the caffeine part)

That started me on a journey away from packaged energy supplements to real whole foods. Good timing, this was about the time Skratch Labs was putting out their "Secret drink mix" thank you Allen Lim.

I now have my morning coffee, and I use home made food for nearly all my rides, runs and Tris which are all caffeine free. If there was a drop in my performance, I never picked up on it. If anything it's just improved, as it should, with time and training.

I don't take caffeine at all before i embark on any form of exercises for the simple reason caffeine dehdrates the body. That is general knowledge and for any sports buff, getting dehydrated is the last thing you want before you start your training.

jeremy2 said:
I don't take caffeine at all before i embark on any form of exercises for the simple reason caffeine dehdrates the body. That is general knowledge and for any sports buff, getting dehydrated is the last thing you want before you start your training.
Caffeine doesn't cause dehydration like most people think it does. The fact is that all of these caffeinated drinks contain water, and the chances are slim that the caffeine really makes a huge difference in hydration and dehydration. You'd have to be taking in a lot of caffeine from non-liquid sources to notice any measurable effect of dehydration. Though plenty of people get headaches from caffeine.

I drink a cup of coffee every morning before heading out, just to wake up. Besides that, I don't take any more caffeine. I'm sure that it would help when lifting, but I'd like to know my strength without it because in most situations when you need your strength you won't be drinking a cup of coffee right beforehand. If I went to sleep late the night before, I'll take an extra cup in the morning, but never before my workouts in the afternoon.

I'm on and off of coffee all the time. It really depends on the activity and the need to stay up late. If I do drink it before a work out I just have one cup. that should be enough to get me sharp and ready for the workout. I don't take enormous amounts because that isn't necessary at all.

In addition to metabolic effects, caffeine also has analgesic properties that have been show to lessen perceived pain during exercise.

Some studies have shown that the analgesic effects were not dependent on whether the user was a habitual consumer of caffeine.

maydog said:
In addition to metabolic effects, caffeine also has analgesic properties that have been show to lessen perceived pain during exercise.

Some studies have shown that the analgesic effects were not dependent on whether the user was a habitual consumer of caffeine.
I did not know about the analgesic effects of caffeine. I guess I looked at the sugar levels more than anything.

If you do drink coffee I do suggest that you drink it black from freshly grounded beans. Never put sugar in it or cream. Keep that man processed stuff away from something natural.

Reactions: joshposh
adfnio said:
If you do drink coffee I do suggest that you drink it black from freshly grounded beans. Never put sugar in it or cream. Keep that man processed stuff away from something natural.

I didn't take account of the sugar and creme levels. Thanks for the tip. There is a big difference in freshly brewed and instant packets. Everyone should go brewed and black.

The normal average blood sugar level is equal to one table spoon of sugar, but the FDA says recommends 300 grams a day. If you consumed 300 grams in one seating you would die. Literally.

I pull three double expresso shots each morning. 330 mg caffeine whether I ride or not.