How Much Caffeine?

Weatherby said:
I pull three double expresso shots each morning. 330 mg caffeine whether I ride or not.
You animal! How do you take in so much caffeine? I guess your a long time consumer of caffeine, or more specifically espresso. All I can handle is 2 cups of regular coffee and my head is flying into the clouds. Maybe I'm just a lightweight or that's just the way my body reacts.

I love coffee but I am not exactly a big coffee drinker. I usually have one or two cups every two to three days. So, coffee doesn't really have any impact on my cycling. If I get tired during a long bike trip, I usually eat a couple of sesame bars with honey or some cashew nuts with black chocolate. At times, I have also been known to carry along chocolate covered coffee beans. They always proved to be a hit with my fellow bike riders. :)

I don't drink coffee before or after my workout or rides just because I drink coffee during the night and I don't want to consume extra doses of coffee during the day. I don't really know the effects of coffee to my performance whether they are good or bad but I have heard that caffeine in general, from coffee or from energy drinks, can really boost your performance on competition day (for short competition). The crash effect won't be noticed until about way later after the competition ends or so I heard.

What helps me is a teaspoon and a half of Nescafe, it is really heavy and has a lot of caffeine and helps you with your workout insanely. I know by my own experience not having Nescafe each morning makes my muscles ache for some reason, but when I do I feel much more energetic and able.

I've found on a personal level that caffeine helps me during weightlifting routines but not anything that has to do with aerobic exercise. I won't run farther or run a given distance faster with caffeine, whether I'm running or cycling. When it comes to lifting weights, though, I can lift a little bit more but with a lot more intensity and focus.