How much can you re-dish?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kbh

Kbh Guest

Wanted some opinions before I attempt this:

Have a rear wheel set for 135mm rear spacing. It has an 8mm spacer on the non drive side that I'd
    like to remove for use on an old frame with 126mm spacing, so I'd need to re-dish by 4mm. Can this
    be done with the existing spokes? Should I loosen all the spokes and completely rebuild, or just
    start by tightening the drive side?

Thanks,

Kyle

Tags:

2. KBH wrote:
    > Wanted some opinions before I attempt this:
    >
    > Have a rear wheel set for 135mm rear spacing. It has an 8mm spacer on the non drive side that I'd
    > like to remove for use on an old frame with 126mm spacing, so I'd need to re-dish by 4mm. Can this
    > be done with the existing spokes? Should I loosen all the spokes and completely rebuild, or just
    > start by tightening the drive side?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle
    >
    >
    probably not, it really depends on just what length spokes where put in on the build, in this case i
    doubt you can. most of the time you only have a couple mm of thread left after tensioning. take a
    look at the nipples in the rim holes, the threads can only come through the top by ~2mm then they
    bottom. you need to leave a few threads in the nipples on the nondrive side as well!

never adjust the true (on a properly tensioned wheel) by tightening first! lossen the away side then
    tighten the toward. on a dished wheel the non drive side needs ~1/2 the turns as the drive side.

3. Nick Payne

Nick Payne Guest

Depends on how close the existing spokes are to having the full depth of the thread already in the
    nipple. If there's a millimetre or two to spare then it should work ok. I successfully went the
    other way with a rear wheel - got a longer axle and spacers from Bullseye and redished a 126mm
    7-speed Bullseye hub to 140mm 8-speed for use on a tandem.

Nick

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wanted some opinions before I attempt this:
    >
    > Have a rear wheel set for 135mm rear spacing. It has an 8mm spacer on the non drive side that I'd
    > like to remove for use on an old frame with 126mm spacing, so I'd need to re-dish by 4mm. Can this
    > be done with the
    existing
    > spokes? Should I loosen all the spokes and completely rebuild, or just start by tightening the
    > drive side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.